Chapter 115
30 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“There won’t be a royal ball to welcome Thea in the capital?” Asked Cassius, bewildered.

“Cassius, we nearly went to war. Most of our money are sent elsewhere.” Said Empress Orlena.

“But, when you came to Raylon, mother, it was just after a war. You still had a ball in your honor.” Said Cassius, stubbornly.

“Yes, but I was the daughter of a local noble, not the enemy.” Said Empress Orlena. She took a napkin and began to clean her son’s nose. “Cassius, why do you have mud on your nose?”

“Thea and I made snow angels.” Said Cassius, and his face brightened. “But the snow melted underneath my fire enchanted cape and I got muddy. But we changed our clothes.”

Empress Orlena pulled the color of Cassius’s shirt down and saw he was muddy all over.

“Why, I’d never! Why didn’t you take a bath, foolish boy?” She tugged at his ear then and led him by it towards the bathing room at the inn.

“Mom, you can’t go in there. Thea and her mother are there. Lady Esmer is giving Thea a bath.” Said Cassius. Orlena stopped in her track.

“Are you telling me I need to wait to use a primitive bathing room after two dungeon cores?” Asked Orlena, furious.

“Mom, Theanore is my wife and Esmer von Kleindorf is my mother-in-law. You can’t talk about them like this!” Said Cassius, finally wiggling free. He took off towards his room, with the Empress in hot pursuit.

“Cassius Casimir von Eomis! Stop, foolish child!” She screamed after him, but he closed the door in her face. Then he hid beneath the covers.

“Cassius, why are you acting up?” Asked Orlena as she banged on the door.

“You are mean to Thea for no reason. She is my best friend now. We made a pact!” Said Cassius from underneath the bed covers.

“I am not mean to my daughter.” Lied Orlena.

“You called her a peasant yesterday, and you won’t arrange her a ball. But I will!” Said Cassius. He got out of the bed and opened the window silently. Then he hoped through it. They were on the first floor and there was snow outside. He brushed off the snow that got on his behind and ran towards the village market.

Orlena didn’t know that. She pressed her back to the door and sat down.

“She is the enemy, Cassius. A pretender.” She said in a quiet voice, not wanting anyone but Cassius to hear her. “Your marriage won’t be a long one, don’t worry. We will find you a better Princess. Perhaps the elf one, what was her name again? Ah, yes, Breabeth.”

No answer came. Empress Orlena stood up and knocked on the door. Still nothing. She opened it and found an unmade bed and an open window.

“Cassius!” She screamed through the window. “I will tan your hide for this.”

But Cassius didn’t hear his mother. He was in the market, and he was trying to talk the performers there to make a ball for free.

“Look, Your Highness, we like the Princess, we do. But we need to eat too. Surely, you could offer us something if you want us to play for the entire village?” Said the drum musician.

“My allowance is one copper per day.” Said the Prince, and he showed a single cooper to the performer. “You can have it. This will make Thea delighted.”

“Well, what do you know? The little Highness is richer than His Highness.” Joked the violin musician, and the whole troupe burst laughing. The flute user took the cooper and then waved it in the air.

“Dear friends, His Highness wants to hold a ball on a copper. What say you?”

Many laughed, but then a single man stepped forward. It was the pelt seller of the village. He handed the prince a gold coin.

“If it is for the Princess, then I don’t see why we shouldn’t all pitch in. Have you all forgotten that she houses, feeds and clothes orphans? Instead of laughing, contribute.” Said the pelt seller, and he moved back to his stand.

Cassius showed the gold coin to the performers.

“How about now? Is this enough? This is a thousand coppers.” Cassius had never held this much money in his life. He hoped it was enough.

“Sorry, Your Highness. But we perform for fifty gold coins…”

“Liar.” Said the baker. “You performed for my daughter’s birthday for three. Here, Your Highness, two gold coins from me. Make the little Highness happy.” And the baker handed Cassius two gold coins. Cassius gave them to the flute performer.

“Please, I wasn’t allowed to give her anything for the wedding.” Said Cassius. The flute performer took the money and pocketed them.

“Well, friends. His Highness wants a ball. We are covered, but who is going to provide the food and drinks?” Asked the flute performer, standing up.

“Don’t you try to weasel out of playing after taking the money.” Said a chubby woman. She was the tavern’s owner. “Food and drinks are on me. Everyone, go tell the park guard that there will be a ball there.”

“Yeah.” Came the shout from the crowd and people headed to the park. Except the tavern owner, who was going to her tavern to get everything.

Cassius felt an unpleasant stench and realized with a blush it was coming from him. He went back to the inn, looked left to right, and when he didn’t see his mother, he made a beeline for the bathing room.

When he entered, the place was empty. There were already a towel and some of his clothes there. There was water in the bathtub too, although it was cold. Then Cassius realized something. This was the first time he would take a bath alone.

He giggled. No one was going to tell him not to splash the water this time. Then he undressed and went inside the cold water and began scrubbing the dried-up mud from himself. He had a ball to prepare for.

3