Odd Lightning.
188 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'I got caught in something troublesome...'

It's been three weeks and a day since we've gotten here and the stress is getting to people more and more, as proven by the situation I was in. My food was hit on the floor while I was in the cafeteria. While I was on my seat and minding my own business as well. I glanced around, finding none of my family. I sighed in relief.

"I'm glad..."

"What'd you say, fucker?"

"I'm glad none of my family will see this."

"See what? Your ass get beaten? You'd bett-"

The bully was interrupted by a heel. I did a roundhouse kick and then jumped onto the table and off it to slam my elbow into his stomach. The bully, not expecting this, fell quickly and suffered a blow that made him start coughing violently.

I looked at him in disdain. The bullying since we'd got here was subtle at first, isolation and parents keeping their children from us. Then, at the end of the second week, everyone lost communication with everything and everyone else. We all became isolated, thus, the bullying escalated. It became small nudges, tripping and some other things. One was a small thing like pushing hard enough for me to drop my food. But this? This was worse.

I sighed and picked up my food, not caring it hit the floor and ate. Most were disgusted by this but I couldn't care less. Food was food in this storm.

That's another thing that'd changed. The storm is now heavy enough that there's a safety line 3 meters from the glass and boards on them as well as other things to form a blockade. The door was still unblocked for the people who went out to gather supplies. Sadly, they had to use my family's hiking packs, I reluctantly had to give my bag away too. Most of the greedy bastards reined themselves in because they understood the issues overall. But the bullies? They're teenage, like I was, they didn't care. They didn't want to think, they wanted an outlet. And I sure as I was getting forgetful, wasn't going to be theirs.

Recently, I've been forgetting my earliest memories and that scares me.

I'm losing my connections to family as I forget more and more. From what I've recorded, roughly since I can't record all the memories I forgot, I'll lose all my memories in around two months or so.

The reason I realized I was forgetting was because I had probably the weirdest habit in the world. I wrote stories and associated them with my memories so if I ever lost my memories like I did, I'd know I was losing them.

I did this every day and I quickly realized it. I decided against telling my family, their worrying would be needless. Or, at least, I thought it would.

The next day, I was in the common space, which used to be the empty area in front of the doors, on a beanbag against a wall that had been added a while ago.

Today, rations were given out, my family excluded as we still had tons of food.

As soon as my parents handed us our food, I had gone straight to the beanbag, relaxing and reading a downloaded novel I had. It was quite interesting, there was some kind of 'dragon' that lived for millennium dying in the first chapter but that alone got me intrigued.

Once again, as I was minding my own business eating and reading, someone came up to me. It was the resident popular girl, she had a kind look at the forefront of her gaze with haughtiness, disdain and disgust at the back.

She smiled, "What're you reading?"

I smiled, deciding to play along, "I'm reading about a piece of trash who dumped their man for nothing but money and to watch kids suffer. Sounds awfully similar to someone I know."

I met her gaze while speaking, squinting when I mentioned I knew someone like that. Her gaze faltered for a split second before she opened her mouth again.

"And who would that be?"

She smiled as if nothing could go wrong with her plan, how laughable. A chuckle slipped from my mouth and their gaze turned ugly.

"What are you laughing about?"

"You didn't get it?"

"Get what?"

"You're the person."

A slap made itself known across my face and I could see the fake tears welling up. But a slap? Really? I laughed once more, put down my iPad and food before standing and giving her the most crisp slap I've ever given someone. The result? Shocked faces, slack jaws, open mouths, gasps and more!

I smiled as she herself looked shocked. I chuckled once more as a boy started running as if he was going to punch me.

I spoke calmly, "Did you not expect that?"

Just as the boy was about to punch me, I leaned back and to the side. They fell over as their weight pulled them to the ground. I then frowned as they smiled and I saw them smash my iPad and food. 

I froze, staring at the smashed food. I turned to the stupid smile the bastard had and I picked him up by the collar, about to punch his face as he smiled when I stopped.

"Brother, don't!"

No, not because of my littler siblings calling me. No, I saw a glimpse of something. I turned my head to the glass and proceeded to let go of him and walk over there. My eyes flitted, looking to catch it again.

My siblings came over and were about to grab my hands and bring me away when I mumbled, "Am I hallucinating now?"

They held questioning looks and were about to ask when my head jerked to the left, I had seen a glimpse. It was behind the visible sight but I heard the unmistakable thunder after. My eyes narrowed as I seriously looked around for any glimpse of it. The others seemed confused and my siblings called to me but I ignored them. Again and again I searched, until it happened as the adults were coming in.

A bolt of lightning struck not too far from the center.

purple bolt of lightning. Then a black one. Then silver and repeat. It was nonstop, the deafening, repetitive thunder almost distracting us from the main problem.

'What other weird shit will happen from now on?'

7