Chapter 12: We are now Online
443 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A room opens up and three mechanical humanoids walk out, each having distinct features that separate them from one another.

A huge robot followed by a tall yet lean robot which gave out feminine vibes as they walk together towards a certain destination. While the other one just walks to the opposite side, ignoring the other two.

[Hah! I never would have thought that the Commander would have use of me, given that I was made in the time of peace.]

[Given that the world is currently in chaos, Sir Kyle activated us due to needing our expertise in certain fields. He even activated Fred which shouldn't be needed since he has his friend, Sir Robert. After downloading the data from Older Brother, I guess that he might call you later for advice in dealing with situations that need your combat expertise.]

[For the commander to rely on me, something is telling me that this is going to get interesting and fun to play.]

The large mechanoid smacks both its arms while the other shook its head, both heading to the medical bay as requested by Andy.

*******

[Sir Kyle. I have arrived.]

"Nice. Just wait for a bit since I need to test this guy out first."

I said to the robot who just entered the room as I activated the robot I've been working on and instantly began to attack me.

I quickly entered in combat stance as I block a sharp attack which would have punctured my vital area yet I easily parried it with my fist and continue exchanging blows with it, going on the defensive side as I smile widely from the experiment I was working on.

"Good. I think that should be enough."

I quickly close in and press a button on its chest as it deactivates the moment I press it. After doing that, I turned around to face the metallic being in front of me.

"Andy, bring this guy to the armory and inform Hugo to head there to check the equipment after he gets data on Saika.

Fred. Follow me to Lab 1."

I walked with Fred as robots quickly stormed into the room and carried the robot I made as we headed into the Lab where a corpse was placed on the surgical table.

[Hmn. This is interesting....]

"I plan on solving this one with Robert but with the world like this, I don't even know if that guy is still alive or not. Losing communications for a year is kind of hard for me to know the situation of the world if we can't even identify which enemy is which."

I sat in the chair as I not only felt scared of my sister missing but also did not even know of Robert is fine as well.

He might be an ass but he's a great friend to me and him dying just makes this situation even more depressing than it used to be.

Fred might not know much about my mental condition right now but he understands a bit of how my condition is unhealthy enough that I should rest but I didn't.

For as long as possible, I plan on taking short rest to recover my mentality as I've now begun to rely on coffee to keep me energized as my mind was slowly draining my mentality from overworking myself which should make me insufficient in my work but I need to be prepared as possible, avoiding to rest until I am ready to face on the unknown forces that plan on attacking us.

Saika's story of how the world ended was a surprise to hear from as I didn't expect that not only did it spawn zombies and mutants but also created people like her which I categorized as 'Evolved'.

Even if she hides the rest of the info about them, I could already summarize the events that took place as I finally understand why she was actually alone and not in a group.

"Ugh..."

[Sir, I highly recommend that you need to take more rest to sustain proper health to be more efficient...]

"I'm sorry Andy but I need to figure out this fucked up situation we are in."

I suddenly felt lethargic from the dizziness of hitting the point of overwork as Andy told me to take a rest but I refused as I grab my mug and gulp a mouthful of caffeine into my system to stay awake.

While my body is fully rested from being contained in the medical tube, my brain was still working while even using it to control the android, dealing with so many situations that arose, and even meeting a new person whom I started getting close to.

I was tired and even with a short rest, I started working again, to the point where I tire myself again. It had reached the point where my brain had overworked itself to being dead that I'll eventually die from overwork.

I quickly close my eyes and emptied my mind to take some rest but I ended up waking in my bed with a girl just watching me sleep.

"S-sis...? N-no....Saika?"

"A-akatsu-san?!"

"Heh. Just calling me Kyle is fine. No need to be honorific about it now. Plus, I think we've bonded enough that I'm perfectly fine just calling you that."

I smiled as I didn't stand up or anything but just lay back on the bed while Saika continued watching me.

"Um....I heard from them that...you fainted and so I..."

"Oh, thank you for taking care of me then. I'm quite thankful since I usually overwork myself in critical situations that ended up passing out from time to time."

"........"

"You don't need to worry about me. I'll just take a bit of rest and start working again to make it easy for you guys to stay."

I just dryly laugh since I'm used to being under pressure. If not for the assassination attempts from my relatives and the incident in Italy with Robert with the mafia, I wouldn't have gotten used to overworking myself that kept me from being safe all the time.

I knew my limits that even with my enhancements with the nanobots inside me, I was still just an average guy whose so into tech that I wasn't a god or anything.

Unlike some rich playboy who can build bots in his spare time, I had to fail a couple of times since the beginning. A drone that instantly breaks in half to one that can conceal itself and detect from afar, the bunch of simple codes that I tend to mess up to the 4 AI siblings who help me out in this dire time of need.

I was human, I am not inside an android who is efficient and calculated, I am not a special genius who can make robots out of thin air. While at that, I am not right in the mind. Being messed up by betrayals and danger. Yet, even with that, I have a conviction.

I will stay human, even robotic, or monster. To save the people I care about, to the people I plan on protecting. To even those who are left behind the world, I do not abandon my morality as a human.

Humans build a tower to symbolize teamwork, we work better in a group and succeed as one. Indifferent of ideals yet cooperation in danger. As such, to those that abandon their humanity, my answer to them...

'Weapons built from the history of humans, past present and future.'

"Saika, if there's anything you want. I want to uphold that promise to you. To the best I can, I'll do my best."

To the first human I met after a year had passed, I smiled at her as her face began to blush and gave a smile which she held with tears.

"Thank you for everything....Kyle. I do my best to protect you for what you've done for me."

The face she showed me was beautiful and precious yet while I only felt happiness, looking at her face....

'Sasuga, Kyle-sama. The bribe worked.'

I grinned inside my mind, knowing that my treatment of her had warmed up enough to protect me as I expected that she can't live a better life without me around to run the lab. Plus, comparing the life outside the lab, she knew of my importance that me dying was basically meant that her good life would end if I disappear. Such that, I finally have used this opportunity to not only speed up the process of my defenses but also upgrade her fondness of me, so much so that she now wants to protect me.

'That's a win in my book' I thought as I finally decided to let go of my worries and sleep properly this time, not noticing that she stood there for some time before leaning in and kissing me whilst being asleep as she quickly stood up and left the room.

Clueless of that situation which Andy won't even know(since I didn't install cameras inside rooms and bathrooms), I peacefully slept till 2 days later...

A rocket was launched.

And another day had passed, we finally repaired one of the satellites that were still intact with just minor repairs and replacement needed to get it running again....

Now, we are now Online.

13