Chapter 14: Base Defense
597 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The four of us headed out as a girl quickly approach us, who was stained with blood after moving to those religious fanatics.

My sister who was staring at her, finally felt familiar as she quickly ran in and hug Saika who also seems to be joyful when looking at my sister as well.

"Saika! I'm so glad you're okay."

"Nee-san...I-i'm sorry...."

Seeing both of them being familiar with each other, I guess something might've happened during those times I wasn't there as a hand reached out to my shoulders and a worn-out man smiled at me.

"Um...Clarisa's Bro, Thanks for saving me and all."

He seem tired from dying just moments ago yet still has the energy to thank me as I smiled at him back and handed him a chocolate bar from my pockets.

"Here. Those Nanobots might have saved your life but you're still recovering from your wounds. You might need some energy to keep your strength up for a bit since I had just called someone to pick us both up."

"Alright."

After taking the bar from me and patting my head, I turn my attention around to the younger girl who was a bit younger than me, probably 3-4 years old.

Feeling aggrieved that she had to suffer such moments during her growing stage, I gave a warm smile to my niece as I handed her a chocolate bar as well before turning my attention back to my sister's husband.

"I shouldn't be the one to be thankful about. You took care of my sis when I wasn't there for her and not only that, you're my brother-in-law."

"Heh, guess the thought counts right. Lil Bro."

We then both bonded well together as I didn't expect James to be such a lax yet optimistic fellow before dying as both the girls finish their bonding session and headed towards us.

"I gotta say, Kyle, I didn't expect you to not only save us from such a predicament but also have to rescue this sweet gal that had saved us once before leaving."

"Uh...yeah. I was a bit kind of my approach and ended up helping her. Hahaha...."

'I hope she didn't find out that I almost blast Saika's brains out on our encounter or I might end up in a wheelchair...' I put on a humble attitude to my sis, trying to bury that secret to my grave as I chatted a bit with them till a vehicle arrive to come and pick us up.

It was made for offroad terrains since most of the place is a desert and green grass was rarely seen from the outskirts as I plan on heading out with Fred on a field observation to find the cause of this.

The one who picked us up was the android I sent to scout as Hugo was seated next to it, stopping in front of us as he called me out.

[Commander, I found a large horde of zombies, heading towards our current location as there's also a mutant spotted which seems to be a large variant that has an unusual body structure.]

"Hmn...Will it meet us if we headed back to the lab or..."

I pondered for a bit, thinking that we can just let it pass by yet it seem that Hugo was adamant that we should tackle it.

[I'm afraid that this one seems to be heading to our base. Likely that its destination just coincides with our location.]

"Fuck. I didn't want to engage it if possible since we are still lacking in resources."

I felt a bit skeptical since even if we have enough equipment, the munition we have isn't enough since most of the ammo I use is either battery-powered or for testing purposes. Having to deal with a large horde early on might be dangerous if we fight them recklessly.

[Commander, I can suggest...]

He and I began planning on our operation as the four people who were boarding the vehicle had looked over me who was speaking to the android while having a serious look on my face.

I turned to them and smiled since I didn't plan on risking my life just to have my base be destroyed by those guys.

"Sis, I might have to stay here and defend this place."

"What?! Are you kidding me right now?!"

Furious, she got down and quickly held me in her grips. Knowing that I gave off suggests that I'm taking a risk which she isn't too happy about, after being separated for a long time.

"Listen here, Kyle. I was shaking in despair that this world had turned upside down the moment everything had happened in just a year. I lost friends and people I know, not letting myself lose another family again."

"Sis...."

She then loosens her grip and quickly embraces me as tears roll on her face. The Reunion of two siblings just felt a bit warm after having only two of us left whom our parents had passed on in the afterlife.

"Kyle...."

With worry and fear, she pushed me softly as tears run through her face.

"If this gets dangerous, just run okay?"

"..........."

Her look was with seriousness, having to lose both of her parents and had separated from me after a long time, now that we are reunited once more, I had to stay here and hold off the enemy here.

While she didn't know why I had to stay, she knew that I might be in danger as she wanted me to escape here.

I look down, carefully thinking deeply.....

But with determination.....

"Sis, I'll come back safe and sound."

Seeing my idiotic look, she just smirks a bit before hitting my chest lightly as she goes back to the vehicle.

"Clarisa, I should help..."

"Big Bro. The nanobots might have saved your life but you are not fit to help me right now. Go back with sis and recuperate."

".......I understand."

James wanted to stay but with his condition right now, he might pass out and be a liability than helpful. I can't bring Sis and even her husband in danger as I commanded the android to take my family back as I headed to the top of a nearby building with Hugo to prepare the defense of this place.

"You know Saika...you don't have to help me out."

"........."

Standing on the roof, I open a console on my wrist as we talked while observing the situation.

Saika didn't come with my sister but instead, decided to help me out as I didn't understand why but didn't dare question her motives.

"Hugo. What's our Sit-rep?"

[Commander, our enemy's arrival is 24 hours later. Setting up basic defense can be accomplished before they arrive.

With our current combat gear, setting up heavy support would be available before the enemy's arrival yet limited in resources.]

"We can deal with that Hugo. What're our munitions then?"

This was my main concern as I headed to the two mini bots which are armed with grenade launchers, used to shoot those White Phosphorus at the priest and the gang.

[We still have some remaining White phosphorus which is effective against the Zombies yet unable to tell if it's effective against those Mutants. Needs further testing.]

"That's good enough Hugo. Just focus the shells on the Zombies."

I computed the calculations which to predict our chances of victory as Saika continued to stare, waiting for us to provide orders for her.

"Um...Are those Zombies normal?"

The two of us turned to Saika as she was watching the surveillance drone which was spying on the horde as Hugo, with a cold gleam in its robotic eyes, just refutes to her.

[Apologies Ms. Saika. The horde still acts normally and it seems that there are no....]

"Fuck!"

I cursed loudly as I zoomed closer and spotted the ones that Saika was talking about.

On first look, there was nothing extraordinary on the horde that was heading towards us. Yet my eyes didn't deceive me as I zoomed closer and spotted some zombies which are closer to the Giant Mutant and see the abnormality in them.

"Those aren't normal zombies....they are 'Launchers'!"

My face turned blue as I still remember the time where I fought against one of those guys while looking for information.

They blended in the horde since their legs are hard to walk if they stand yet if they just crouch and move alongside the horde, it would be hard to spot them if not for Saika pointing them out.

These guys are dangerous and just remembering what it did to the car last time, those barricades I plan on building won't stand a chance. If they stand jumping at it.

"Hugo....Any sort of ideas?"

[Commander, with our current resources and lack of capable units, I have few options available in our current predicament.]

He started giving out plans as we began to talk, argue and eventually settle on one idea in the end.

13