Chapter 15: How to Pick up Girls in an Apocalypse?
405 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ongoing preparations had started to commence as of the supplies I requested from Andy had arrived.

Most of the stuff was just some simple barricades as I only needed this place defended but not waste too much on resources just to make this place a heavily fortified one.

[Commander, it would be wise if we can use explosives to....]

"Hugo. We might have some but it's not enough. It would take too much time to make gunpowders even if we prioritize the work in making them yet we only have a day to do so."

I grumbled to the giant android as I kept on observing these guys while finding a way to stop those things from breaching the perimeter.

Those things would easily destroy the barricade if they get close and even if I set up the defenses on top of buildings, those things can jump and smash the bots to pieces.

Hugo continues to calculate more as I walk off and head to where Saika was.

"You didn't have to be with us you know that."

I said to her as she just shook her head, both of us just staring at the top of the building.

To be honest, I wanted to continue gazing in this deserted world as I did feel a sense of sadness, finding out the world I wanted to see had now disappeared on me.

While I am still happy to see my sister and even know she has a family now, I still felt a bit sad that I might expect not to see my old friends and acquaintances again.

My mentor who keeps on yapping to branch out to new fields to not waste my talent, the kind-hearted professor who took care of me, and my old-time rival whom I might not see again.

'Damn, it's really depressing now that they aren't here, scolding me like they used to.'

I decided to call a nearby robot which was nearby, handed a protein bar, and gave it to Saika who took it without questioning it.

"Say, do you think that...."

I tried to say it to her but black out and stopped before continuing as she had a confused look on her face as I turned away.

'Com'on Kyle. Just be cool....'

I steel my resolve since I shouldn't think that asking this question to her was hard but I felt a bit nervous since I never got used to talking to girls my age.

I always feel conscious about how I speak or might get misunderstood that I tend to miss out on what they say or what they think about. Missing out the true meaning of their words.

I often get misunderstood in being dense and whatnot but it's not like I can read the air clearly or what they meant to say as I often see some of my friends back in high school talk when they first confess their feelings to the opposite sex.

'I like you, please go out with me!' Or 'Can we hang out and spend some time together?', they often say that with determination which ended up getting rejected outright or even ended up roasted by girls saying 'Hah? Why would I go out with a guy like you?'.

This is real life. You think girls are easy to get or something like that? You question a girl's mind if what they say or think is easy because you watch so many anime that it translates to what they think in real life?

Sure, there are girls who sometimes think like that but that's only on a small percentage which most authors probably BS around since they wanted an easy way out to date someone. What is the small percentage that some random girl you meet is that kind of easy to get?

"............."

Saika stares at me, probably thinking about what I was about to say yet my mind was stressing out which combination of words to break the ice in this situation.

"Is it fine that our situation is different than what it used to be?"

I asked. The question that I thought mostly since I woke up in this kind of situation.

All around us, desert and dead landscape surround what our eyes could see as I ponder what would have happened if this didn't happen.

I might have gone outside, started to work with the government and file a case with my relatives, go back to my lab and work like I normally do.

Probably discover something new or even move on with all this science stuff and start a family or something. I dunno, I never really thought much about my future.

The five years I was, isolated from humanity was something I slowly began to deteriorate as my sanity was slowly lost after living a life of solitude.

While I still got contact with people, I never really continue to spend time with them as I slowly immerse myself with research and all.

'Well, apart from research, I don't really have much of a hobby as I spend most of my life, just living as a normal human does.'

'Maybe I should take on driving for a change' My mind wanders as I forgot that I wasn't alone as Saika began talking.

"I want to own a restaurant of my own would be one thing I wanted to do."

She began to tell a bit about herself, wanting to be just like her father who used to own a small restaurant. I listen to her talk more about herself as we spend sometime talking with each other, slowly bonding through our personal stories which she smiles while listening to me ranting on my rival while her just talking about she works with her father.

I slowly lose my nervousness around her, causing me to have a bit more confidence as she leaned in through my shoulders without me noticing it due to Hugo urgently talking on the communication radio.

[Commander, I dropped the payload on the target as you requested, check the visuals for confirmation.]

".......Good."

I turned on the camera through my visor, seeing the horde got obliterated from the carpet bombing which I used the explosives mixed with phosphorus rounds which eliminated almost all the zombies except for the mutants that were still heading towards our location.

The only enemy left is the giant that was massive than the last one and those 'Launchers' which only a few remain from the attack.

"Hmn?"

I got pinpointed a certain irregularity among them as there was one zombie which gave off a different outlook, sandwich between the Launchers. 

'That can't be right....'

I sense that this one was also a mutant as well yet can't distinguish what it was due to being covered by the Launchers which surround the Giant.

Letting Saika who must've slept while laying next to me, I put her in a room where we set up a small living area for sleeping. I then headed to the small armory set up to gather all the weapons we would need and took two weapons and a combat knife for good measure.

I check them to see any problems before going back to the living area as I sat next to Saika who was happily sleeping in bliss, slowly drifting myself to dreamland as we had to rest up for the upcoming battle for tomorrow.

Hugo was best to standby for Nightwatch as he sent out the new mechs for some battle experience against some stragglers that wandered close to the city.

By the time the sun was up, we were now fully rested and prepared for battle.

I injected myself with a nutrient shot that was slotted through my helmet, letting me get some energy for the nanobots inside my body as Saika was munching on some high calory bars while we both watch the far horizon, a shadow which we could spot on the horizon.

"Hugo, got them on your sights?"

[Copy. All targets are accounted for and eying on the strange mutant you requested Commander.]

"Okay. Let's stick to the plan and finish your task before helping others out. Copy?

"Yes!"

[Affirmative Commander.]

Both Hugo and Saika nodded as I slightly nodded as well before I and Saika walk off and started descending the building.

"Okay. Let's start off with the big one first."

I said as all three of us communicated through the communications device, informing on our strategy for our play.

"Hugo. I'll distract the big one while you and Saika handle those Launchers."

I lifted up my wrist, showing a hologram of the video on our targets.

[Commander, I heed you again to not head to the frontlines...]

"You'll provide support for both of us. That is your role in this fight. Can't have our brains handle multiple things while distracted in a fight."

I said as Hugo was best at being the group's recon and support. He might know how to handle a fight but he can't be in two places at once. Narrowing down our chances of victory.

I turned to Saika who was also worried for me but I just smiled at her while I gripped my rifle tightly.

"I might be weak but I am not letting a girl walk on the battlefield by herself without a dance partner."

As I said that, she had a surprised look on her face and blush as I grab hold of the door with determination on my face.

"No Risk, No Gain. If you don't want me to die guys, try to be quick and stay on your toes."

I said as I open the door.

13