11 – The Lack of Identification Papers
584 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It felt great to finally sleep in a bed again. I didn’t realize how tense I was until I lied down in the bed.

The inn is by no means a high class one. But it is clean, and the food is good. Dinner yesterday was a stew with vegetables and Horned Rabbit meat. If I hadn’t eaten in the public area of the inn, I probably would have cried. Luckily, I held it in because it would have been embarrassing. It was my first proper meal since coming to this world and it made me happy. The grilled meat in the forest can’t really count as a proper meal, since it was just that. There were no seasonings or side dishes or anything. I am about to arrive in this world for good and I can start to think about my future.

But before that, I need to get my Identification Card issued and then register at the Adventurer Guild. I ask the receptionist about both locations and left the inn. It took me around 5 minutes to arrive at the city office. Luckily, it doesn’t seem really busy in the morning. There are only two counters open and one receptionist is busy. So I walk up to the second one.

“Good Morning, how can I help you?” The man at the greets me professionally. He looks to be in his early thirties and is only level 3. I guess that’s reasonable if I think his job does not include fighting monsters.

“Good Morning. I have a bit of a complicated problem and I am not sure what to do about it.” I explain I don’t have an Identification Card and that the guard at the gate already told me I can have it reissued in my hometown. I also tell him I lost my memories and don’t know where my hometown is. When I finish explaining, the man has a complicated look on his face.

“I see. That is indeed a problem. I don’t think there was a case like before.” He asks me to wait for a bit and walks to the back to ask his superior, but when he comes back, he could only tell me that there is nothing they can do. My only option would be to search for my hometown.

“I am really sorry that I could help you,” he says, and I could see that he really meant it.

“No, it’s fine. I knew from the beginning, that I was a bit of a special case.” After all, they are bound to follow the regulations and can’t just go against it. So I knew the chance of acquiring an Identification Card would be low. I still thank him for his time and then left.

It seems I need to find another way to acquire an Identification Card. Maybe I could get one though some kind of underworld connection? But to be honest, even if it would be possible, I don’t want to get in contact with those kinds of people. “Ah, what should I do…”

On my way to the Adventurer Guild, I stop at a bakery because of the delicious smell and buy two muffins for breakfast. Ah, delicious.

About ten minutes later, I arrive at the Adventurer Guild. This time it seems to be busier, so I line up for one counter. There are a few adventurers and they all just seem to accept new quests, so it was quite fast and I don’t have to wait long. I seem to have arrived just at the end of the morning rush.

“Good Morning, how can I help you?” It was my turn, but instead of answering, I get caught up by her appearance. She has cat ears! I knew there were beastkin, but I didn’t expect it to be this cute.

“Is everything alright?” She asks me, while looking at me with a confused expression and that brings me back to reality.

“Ah, I am sorry. It was just my first time seeing a beastkin. I came here to register as an adventurer.” It’s not the time to think about cute girls, so get back to business. She smiles at me before answering.

“I see. In that case, I need your Identification Card to sign you up for the exam. If it is your first time taking the exam, it is free, otherwise there is a fee of 1 Big Bronze Coin.” Huh? It takes me a second to process her answer.

“I need my Identification Card to register?” I ask nervously.

“Yes. After all, the Adventurers are the people working on the requests, so we have to make sure that there will be no Adventurers dragging down the Guilds’ reputation. Of course, we can’t prevent it every time. But most of the time, it works out nicely. Do you not have you Identification Card with you?” Her explanation definitely makes sense, so I can see why they want to see the Identification Card and have an exam before accepting a new Adventurer, but…

“I see. The problem is, I don’t even have an Identification Card in the first place.” I answer.

“Huh? What do you mean you don’t have one?” She asks, confused. I explain to her my circumstances the same way I did in the city office.

“That is really an unfortunate case.” She says apologetically.

“Well, it can’t be helped. I can’t expect you to just make an exception, just for my case.” In the end, even if she didn’t say it, my case could potentially be exactly one case they would want to prevent from registering. In that case I would need to find different means of making money, but I am really limited, because of my lack of an Identification Card.

“In that case, is it possible to sell monster materials without being a registered Adventurer?” I asked hopefully.

“Yes, there is no problem. Just remember, that you can’t call yourself an Adventurer, that way.” She warned me, but I can’t help it, because of my circumstances.

“Of course. In that case I would like to sell some stuff, but I am not sure if everything will be useful.” I put out the materials of the Wild Panther, the horns of the Horned Rabbits I hunted and about three fourth of the Monster Cores I had on me. I decide to keep a few, since I didn’t know if they might come in handy in the future.

It really surprises the receptionist to see the Wild Panther materials, since it is categorized as E-Rank, because of its speed. She explained to me that F- and E-Rank Adventurers are considered as Intermediate and D- and C-Ranks are Veterans. So if I could beat an E-Rank monster, I would be in the upper bracket of the Intermediate Adventurers.

That is an interesting piece of information. I mean, I had my problems fighting the Wild Panther, so that is about my current limit. But knowing what rank I can be compared to is still useful.

In the end, the materials summed up to 2 Big Bronze Coins, but most of it came from the Wild Panther. At first, I think that the money was a bit low, since it was an E-Rank Monster, considering that my current inn charges 5 Bronze Coins per night. But then I realize an Adventurer would usually get an additional quest reward. So it would make sense that I earn less, without a registration. I really need to figure something out. I am not troubled by money for now, but I might run out of money in the future.

I said bye to the receptionist, and she apologized again for not being able to process my registration. I think for now I am going to explore the city, while thinking about my next steps.

15