Chapter 1: The Anniversary
236 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ten years prior…

 

Several years have passed since the end of The Second Great War. Today marks the sixteenth anniversary of the armistice that formed between the Divine Axes and the Divine Alliance. Though my nation of Hitoshi ended up with a loss, history books — those from here anyway — always describe our soldiers to be determined and skilled warriors.

 

Why am I talking about this, you may ask? Well.

 

'O Shoku-kami, continue to guide us to victory.'

 

'O Shoku-kami, forgive me for my sins.'

 

'O Shoku-kami, help me find love.'

 

And, in quick succession, I hear several pieces of metal pelt the insides of my donation box. Three teenage boys have given me three days' worth of donations.

 

Today is my lucky day.

 


CHAPTER ONE: THE ANNIVERSARY


~ACT 1: Business~

 

As I open my door and bow in thanksgiving, one of the donors quickly kneels before me.

 

‘O beautiful shrine maiden of the eclipse, may I know your lovely name?’

 

Hmph. It seems some people can’t read the sign at the entrance. I shall segue away from this thirsty boy.

 

I am Rize Hanakotoba, a "miko" from the city of Shusokyo. In Langlish, that would mean "shrine maiden", and in case you still don’t know, that’s a priestess. I was born eighteen years ago, during a time of divine conflict which we know as The Second Great War. I still find it strange that I survived all of that — I'm not even sure if I had human parents.

 

To the masses, I am known by my title: Shoukuhana no Rize, The Shrine Maiden of Eclipse Blossom. I am what you may think of as a special figure in Shusokyo. A recent survey some religious experts did here showed that a hundred percent of people in this city believed in one goddess, and in Her alone. This deity is ‘Shoku-kami’, goddess of the eclipse and unity. And as the Shrine Maiden of the Eclipse, I am her sole priestess, representative, and... adopted daughter.

 

'Please excuse him for his insolence,' says one of the other donors, 'His girlfriend cheated on him and he's madly in search of a womanly charm to fill his empty heart.'

 

I won't lie. That long-winded, flowery answer caught me off-guard. But this calls for one of my jobs as the miko of my city: giving advice. With prose and hard-practiced grace, I unfold my patterned fan.

 

I shall first start with empathy. 'Visitor. Having the person you once loved disappear from you in an instant is rough, huh?'

 

The boy before me begins tearing up. Damn, he really got hit in the heart.

 

Now, for the kicker. 'Don't dwell on this sadness too much. For you are young, your uncertain future is drawing nearer. Make the most of your youth by lifting yourself up. Then, you will realize you are better than your troubles.'

 

The three boys, even that heartbroken lad, quickly grow blank-faced and silent. Though my senses tell me some mischief is heading my way. 

 

'Rize-sama. Did you have a boyfriend?'

 

I unfold my fan. 'No, I never had one, and I never will. My duty to serve Shoku-kami shall not be riddled with distractions.'

 

The sad boy frowns even more. Man, it's like he's trying to make me feel guilty. Ahem.

 

'Boy,' I preach, 'It is natural to fret. That is human nature, after all. But there will be a point in your life when you have to move on. Besides, there are many fish in the sea of love.'

 

As the saddened boy raises his head up, I steadily approach him and pull out a red-marked talisman from my skirt pocket.

 

'Do not give up on your journey of life and love.' I raise my talisman and hold it above his forehead. Time for my signature:

 

'May Shoku-kami bless you.'

 

The three visitors speedily bow. 'Arigato, Rize-sama!'

 

In return, I give them my accommodating smile and a stylish swish as I turn to my shrine. What else can I say but, a job well done? I return to the shrine and close the door.

 

'Ah. That went well.'

 

It really did. I could see the boys dropping more coins in the box, before playfully brisk walking away. Though even from behind the door, I could hear some quotes from their loud mouths.

 

'Rize-sama is so cool. She's like a manga character I-R-L!'

 

'Nah, I say she's more of a real-life waifu. What say you, Satou?'

 

'Not now, bro… I know I can never be with her…'

 

Poor guy. Makes me wonder if females thirst over male priests too.

 

......

 

'Ah, just about done.'

 

Around seven hours have passed and the sun has just begun to fall. Whew, having to do chores, training, and work in the same household is mentally exhausting. I performed a total of three confession services, eight moments of giving advice, and three celebratory dances for the early morning, noontime, and afternoon. Even if I got an amazing number of donations today, I'm too drained to carry my box inside.

 

Hah. Being a god must feel nice. You can toy with the universe however you want. Or, travel around the world with ease. Or even, have mortals do chores for you without a choice. I'm grateful to be your servant, Shoku-kami. But, can't you gods carry your own weight too?

 

'Ahhhhh…' I loudly sigh, releasing the pent-up stress within me. Kneeling on my tatami mat, I put my two palms together and pray:

 

'O Shoku-kami, The Beautiful Convergence. Thank you for guiding me through this festivity. I come here yet again with this important question.'

 

Here's hoping she listens this time. I'd been asking her this question every day for seven years since I stumbled upon the records of past eclipse shrine maidens. This is my million-yen question:

 

'Will I ever become a goddess, like You…?'

 

 

……

 

………

 

…………

 

'Hmm… If you try.'

 

That voice! Shoku-kami listened?!

 

'Have faith.'

 

My eyes. I can't see anything! What is going on?!

 

'Shoku-kami?!' I ask in a panic, 'Where art thou?!'

 

My question is answered by a faint flicker of violet light, seemingly originating from behind.

 

'Follow me,' my goddess sternly commands. As I turn around, the light reforms into the mold of a woman in robes. It walks away, and I follow.

 

'Shoku-sama. Where are you taking me?'

 

'I am glad you asked,' I hear her mischievously reply. As usual. But as I am about to utter my next words, a blinding shine of light engulfs my view.

 

'Rize, my dear miko, today's your big day. From this point onward, your journey to enlightenment shall begin.'

 

Enlightenment?! Shoku-kami, all I asked was a yes or no question-!

 

'I am aware,' she interrupts, 'And this is your answer.' Damn, I wish I was a god that could read minds!

 

The bright glow manifests into two giant, violet gates, around fifty yards away. The silhouette of the woman, who I now believe to be my goddess, instantly appears behind me. Yeah, this is something she would do.

 

'Shoukuhana no Rize, you know what to do.'

 

I… don't. Shoku-kami, are you making me use my brain, or are you trying to make a fool out of me- eh?!

 

'Congratulations!' Shoku-kami applauds as I unknowingly push the right gate open?! 'You are maturing. I'm so proud.'

 

Um, did I just teleport in front of the gate? How did I-? Wait, everything's falling apart! And my vision is going white! Can’t I catch a break, Shoku-kamiiiiiii?!

 

'Excuse me, are you the shrine maiden here?'

 

'Huh?!

 


CHARACTER INFO

 

Name: Rize Hanakotoba

AKA: Shoukuhana no Rize, Shrine Maiden of Eclipse Blossom

Age: 18

Birthday: June 4th

Residence: Shrine of Shoku, Shusokyo, Hitoshi

Height: 5'4"

Weight: 51 kg

Hair: Violet

Eyes: Pink

Usual Mood: Judgmental

 

'May Shoku-kami bless you.'


~ACT 2: The Visitor~

 

I suddenly find myself outside my shrine, right palm warmly holding the left cheek of a young green-haired woman.

 

'Because if you are, you aren’t acting holy.'

 

Shoot. I need to apologise.

 

'I-I'm sorry! I really didn't mean it! You see, I was in the middle of a vision and ended up going crazy! Y-You can understand, r-right?!'

 

Oh no. I'm in deep trouble. This woman's gonna destroy my reputation! Though to be fair, I did start this whole thing, but none of it was intentional to begin with!

 

'...I understand.'

 

……WHAT?!

 

'Don't explain any further.' The woman smiles, gently grasping my palm and moving it away from her face. 'I forgive you.'

 

I'm livid. This is the biggest emotional rollercoaster I've had in years. Come on, Rize, take a deep breath.

 

‘Shrine maiden,’ I can hear her say amidst my hyperventilating, ‘What is your name?’

 

Another person who could not read the sign-! Calm down, Rize.

 

‘Shoukuhana no Rize. You may call me Rize.’

 

The woman before me smiles. ‘Grazie! Sorry, I know there was a sign in front but I can’t read Hito-sho.’

 

Oh. She’s a foreigner. I almost forgot those existed.

 

‘Need not worry,’ I remark to establish my professional status, ‘I appreciate that your courtesy and observance go hand in hand.’

 

‘Thanks! And I must say that your Langlish is really good.’

 

Eh? Was she expecting otherwise? Who is she anyway?

 

Arigato, whoever you are.’

 

‘Oh! Excuse my manners!’

 

Goddess, her energy is something I wish I had right now.

 

The green-haired girl clears her throat. ‘I am Libera Stella Veritazione, a tourist from the nation of Iretea. You may call me Libera.’

 

‘I see. I take it you’re visiting to celebrate the war’s end with a fellow loser?’

 

‘Haha, you nailed it.’

 

Raindrops immediately fall from the sky. The beautiful sunset I was looking forward to left my view.

 

‘Rain has fallen. Come inside; I have tea and cookies.’

 

Libera nods. ‘Okay, I don’t mind.’

 

I bring the Iretean visitor into my shrine. As expected of a tourist, she loves looking around and observing the strange things within. I notice she is particularly fixated on my red-marked talismans and relics. I do hope she won't end up being a thief. Then again, it would take a being attuned to the Reincarnation of Aries to touch it without burning in holy flames. I should tell her about this actually.

 

‘Fair warning, Libera. Not anyone gets to touch these relics. They contain huge amounts of power, and mingling with them leads to fates worse than death. Understand?’

 

Instead of the fearful reaction I envisioned, the Iretean girl looks at me with a smile. ‘Okay, I understand.’

 

As we both reach the living room, I elegantly set up the kotatsu table and brew tea in a kettle.

 

‘Would you also like some tea?’ I offer, ‘The gods have blessed our harvest season this year.’

 

‘Yes,’ Libera nods as she seats herself on the mat by the table. I feel her manners can even put mine to shame.

 

I put on my apron and baking gloves, and open my oven. The sugary, creamy scent of my hour-baked vanilla cookies fills the room. Oh, what bliss. Libera’s whiffing and content “Mmm” would mean she agrees with me.

 

‘Ah, all for me,’ I mutter, only now remembering about the guest sitting across the room. How used to being alone, I must be. I grab the warm tray of cookies and transfer them all to a wooden sweets basket. Through what I call “good planning”, the kettle stops brewing as soon as I close the basket. I finish off by pouring two cups of tea and planting the basket at the center of the table.

 

‘Here, Libera.’ I show my accommodating smile as I place her cup on her side.

 

‘Thank you.’

 

The Iretean tourist smiles back. I can already see the excitement in her eyes.

 

I place my cup on the table and clasp my palms. ‘May You bless this meal, Shoku-kami. Itadakimasu.’

 

Visibly confused, Libera puts her palms together and utters, ‘Kome debe. Signor Centaur.’ I know she’s from a foreign land and all, but I can’t comprehend whatever the heck she just said.

 

Either way, I can describe this snack time to be special. For the first time since a day I may have forgotten about, I brought someone within my shrine. It feels weird to bring a stranger inside — but to be honest, I wouldn’t mind having her here. Or is it too early to judge?

 

‘Rize, you bake really well!’ Returning to my senses, I see Libera munching on my vanilla cookies. Frankly, it’s quite cute.

 

‘Thanks, Libera. I only make these on special occasions.’

 

‘Oh? I must be really lucky then!’

 

‘Hmm. Just being able to enter this shrine already makes you fortunate.’

 

I calmly sip my tea. These leaves must be the best I’ve had this year. The heavy rain outside and the immaculate snacks inside are a perfect combination for small talk. And with Libera here, I may be able to satisfy this craving I never knew I had — casual communication.

 

‘So, Rize. How old are you?’

 

I may be getting ahead of myself here, but this person might be the gateway to having a friend group I can express my true emotions to. I mean, Shoku-kami exists, but she’s more of my mom-slash-boss if anything. As a prestigious figure in my city, I am forced to keep an inspiring and formal image of myself. Heck, a simple muck-up like my first encounter with Libera could have ruined my reputation, had she not been so considerate. And as the only eclipse miko in the entirety of Hitoshi, it gets really, really lonely.

 

I need to play my cards right. This girl might be someone who I can actually call a “friend”, and there’s no way in hell I’m wasting this chance. Not to mention that she’s an Iretean —  if we get to become friends for a long time, I’ll be getting souvenirs every time she visits! No, Rize, that mustn't be your top priority. Remember what Shoku-kami told you:

 

‘My dear Rize. Material things are temporary, friends are less.’

 

By Shoku’s Hierarchy of Permanence, friends are more important than material things. Back to being able to talk to someone without a formal tone. Ohoho, the thought of it is exciting~!

 

‘Hello? Ri-zeeee?’

 

Kuso! I spaced out too much!

 

‘Oh, Rize. I thought you were knocked out or something!’

 

This is the second time I embarrassed myself in front of her. What am I doing?!

 

‘Libera. I’m really sorry about this,’ I apologise with a tad of desperation, ‘I can't always act formal. I am a shrine maiden in training.’

 

‘I understand. You must be tired from today’s events. Come on, eat more of your tasty cookies! I saved the majority for the baker.’

 

The Iretean tourist blows my mind yet again. She’s… She’s being too kind. I’m really tempted to cry right now, but I shouldn’t. Ah! Tears are falling off already!

 

‘Th- Thank you, Veritazione. Sigh. It really has been a rough day for me.’

 

The look on her face transformed into one of surprise. I feel that her observant, eagle-like vision noticed the small raindrops from my emotional eyes. 

 

‘Rize. You seem like the type to be too hard on yourself-’

 

‘ENOUGH!’

 

And so, I have unintentionally brought silence into the room. With a single shout, I ended what could have been a lovely conversation. I’m being overly awkward when it matters. Damn, I really hate myself.

 

‘Ah. I’m sorry, Rize. I think I’m assuming too much. I am a complete stranger after all.’

 

No, Libera. I need you to give me more therapy.

 

‘It’s… okay. I am also sorry for my unaccommodating behaviour.’

 

And at the end of it all, rainfall grows even stronger. It’s reached the point where I could hardly hear anything outside the shrine. Although part of that is due to this barrier I put up an hour before the vision. As part of my training for responsibility, I must regularly shield my shrine with a barrier to repel beings of malice — we nationals of Hitoshi know them as “youkai”. Its soundproofing nature is a bonus. And if any being not chosen by Shoku-kami enters the barrier, it begins to feel uneasiness and will most likely fall into a coma for forty-seven days. Wait, why is Libera here?!

 

‘Libera, by any chance, are you feeling uneasy?’

 

The tourist sips her tea. ‘No, not at all. Why?’

 

Phew. I suppose I can let it slide for now. I can always revive her later.

 

‘Rize,’ Libera looks at me curiously, ‘It seems a lot of things are worrying you right now. Let’s talk about something else, shall we?’

 

I sip my tea. ‘Yeah... Let’s do that.’

 


CHARACTER INFO

 

Name: Libera Stella Veritazione

AKA: (no title given)

Age: 18

Birthday: March 23rd

Residence: Romora, Iretea

Height: 5'1"

Weight: 44 kg

Hair: Mint Green

Eyes: Blue

Usual Mood: Curious

 

'I'm happy about you taking me inside, serving me these delicious delights. But I can't stand you being this stressed... How about I help you relax for a bit?'


~ACT 3: Glimpse of the Future~

 

The two of us begin recovering from the intense moments that had transpired. I, in particular, am trying my best to control my breathing.

 

‘So, how old are you?’

 

Great, an icebreaker. ‘I’m eighteen years old. You?’

 

‘Awesome, you’re as old as I am! Always nice to meet more G-W-Two babies.’

 

‘Heh. Your energy is like that of a young adult.’

 

‘Oh?’ Libera inquires with that distinctly curious tone, ‘You don’t seem that energetic from the outside.’

 

‘That is true,’ I reply while grabbing a cookie, ‘Serving Shoku-kami is like a part-time job. Though, since finishing high school three months ago, I’ve been working full-time. It doesn’t help that I’m the only eclipse shrine maiden in the entirety of Hitoshi.’

 

‘Hmm,’ Libera thinks as she pours tea into her empty cup, ‘You seem to be carrying a heavy burden on your shoulders. Your identity as The Shrine Maiden of Eclipse Blossom is a treasure that must be maintained at all costs. And the only one who could take care of it — the one who bears it for as long as she is alive — is you.’

 

‘Spot on.’

 

‘And by a full-time job, do you mean you aren’t going to college?’

 

I lead with an audible sigh. ‘It was a tough decision. I was who you may call a "scholar" of Shusokyo Science High. I did excellent in my passions, and the teachers always knew me as a person willing to learn. But in the grand scale of things, education and knowledge are temporary — compared to the lifetime of a goddess.’

 

‘And will you become a goddess?’

 

I face Libera with a look of determination and inspiration.

 

I will. And no being from any of the realms, not even my own Shoku-kami, will stop me.

 

Libera smiles and raises her teacup. ‘You sound like the most resolute girl I know, Shoukuhana no Rize.’

 

The sound of loud thunder booms, as the downpour grows stronger yet again. I glance at the weather indicator blessed by Torudin, the god of storms.

 

‘Bery, you may have to stay here for the night. It seems a monsoon will be passing by the region beside us until the next dawn. Going outside may be dangerous at the moment.’

 

‘Bery?! When did you-? Well, I wouldn’t mind. It’s not like I’m travelling with anyone else.’

 

‘Okay. Allow me to set your bedroom.'

 

And realisation struck.

 

'Oh. Right.’

 

‘Hmm?’ Libera wonders as she’s supposed to.

 

‘We only have one bedroom at the moment. You know, me being the only shrine maiden and all. You’re also the first guest I invited here in possibly forever. And I don’t think we have enough money to have a room built.’

 

And for the first time, my guest’s face is covered with dread.

 

‘What’s the matter, Bery?’

 

Libera crosses her arms and turns flustered. Oh Goddess no, please, this isn’t one of my doujinshi!

 

‘Well, er… You’re too kind! It’s just… I may be awake in the middle of the night.’

 

‘Oh?’ I obviously wonder, ‘Is it your assignments? I remember spending sleepless nights on high school work. It gets me every time.’

 

‘No. Not at all. I just-!’

 

‘Like being with you. Very, very much.’

 

Huh? Where did that manly, seductive tone of a tenor come from?

 

Buona sera, ladies.’

 

I turn around to my room and catch sight of a tall, crowned man in white and red robes, walking toward us.

 

Libera, looking surprised, gets up on her feet. ‘Lord... Sentar?!’

 

Lord Sentar. Hold on, isn’t that Ariesu, The Reincarnation of Aries? The fiery god of hedonism? The Revelling Flare? What on earth is he doing in my shrine?!

 

‘Rize. I am the god powering your red-marked talismans. Don’t I deserve to enter?’

 

Damn, I can’t argue with that. Also, did he just read my mind?!

 

‘Lord Sentar,’ Libera prays as she genuflects onto my tatami mat, ‘Excuse me for the detour. I would have returned to Iretea if it had not rained.’

 

The fire god, Ariesu, sternly looks down on Libera and summons a very long and intimidating staff. I have a really bad feeling about this; I need to step in.

 

‘Ariesu-sama!’ I too pray, ‘I am at fault for offering to accommodate her! I’m too broke for a second bedroom, and I didn’t like the idea of Libera soaking wet!’

 

‘Excuse me, Hana-chan?!’

 

Excuse me? “Hana-chan”?!

 

‘Ahahahahahaha!’ Ariesu laughs in a mocking way, ‘You’re both too serious. It’s not like the red strings of fate and a certain violet goddess of similar mischief allowed this to happen.’

 

Mischief… violet goddess… No, Shoku-kami made this happen? I swear mischievous gods are the worst. And serving them is like getting constantly spat on.

 

‘I heard that, Rize.’

 

And I don’t care.

 

‘Lord Sentar, what brings you here?’

 

With the swish of his staff, the fire god opens a stationary red vortex. It reminds me of the portals Shoku-kami lets me use.

 

‘I am here to bring you back, Libera. College resumes tomorrow and you haven’t done a single thing.’

 

Haha. Student problems. I approach Libera and pat her on the shoulder. ‘Well, it was nice having you here, Bery. Though, you should’ve told me that you had school tomorrow. I could’ve flown you there with my new ReisenGear. Huh?’

 

I face down and see an absolutely devastated Libera. It’s as if she’s being sent to Hell. Though, I’m sure many agree that school isn’t any different.

 

‘Okay…’ I hear her mutter. She sounds as heartbroken as that one thirsty boy I mentored this morning.

 

‘And, Rize.’ Ariesu locks on to me with his stern, green eyes. ‘Thanks for taking care of my darling. You two will get to enjoy each other in the coming years.’

 

Ugh. Yeah, I know being thanked by a god should be special or whatever. But that cursed word, “darling”, hurts my very emotions. I’ve heard Shoku-kami call me that over and over again, even when she disguises herself as a human in school meetings, and I absolutely hate it-!

 

‘You’re welcome,’ I remark with a bow, ‘And, thank you for bringing me a friend.’

 

Libera walks toward the vortex. But as she is about to put her hand in it, she turns back and tightly embraces me.

 

‘You’re a good person, Rize. Don’t be too hard on yourself.’

 

Psh, it’s not like I already have that covered. Who are you? My human mom?

 

‘You too, Libera.’ I gently embrace her as well. ‘Good luck with school.’

 

Libera escapes my grasp and walks into the portal, disappearing completely from the room. Ariesu crosses his arms.

 

‘Shoukuhana no Rize,’ I hear him beginning to orate with that lovely voice, ‘Your goddess and I were speaking the other hour, and I feel the need to explain something important. From now on, marking your talismans won’t just be achieved with slathering paint with paper. As a shrine maiden, your responsibility is supernatural and ethereal. Soon, you will be marking your talismans with colours and symbols and, most definitely, your faith in your attuned god. Keep training and, in due time, you shall figure it out.’

 

That. Was a lot to take in. But I am ready.

 

Arigato, Ariesu-sama,’ I thank with a bow, as he disappears into the portal. In seconds, the red vortex dissolves into nothingness.

 

Sigh. What a day. Now that I think about it, having the god of fun things tell you to study for school seems strange. I’ll just assume he has his plans for her.

 


Nearly three hours have passed, and rain continues to fall. I put one leg into my hot spring, then another. It may seem not a single raindrop has pelted my precious, Mt. Kaiyou-powered bath. This must be my best barrier yet.

 

Reflecting on what happened, today has been my craziest Anniversary Day— no, the craziest day ever. Shoku-kami answered my long-standing question, Libera and Ariesu-sama entered the shrine, and I am being told to learn new things. I can already taste godhood!

 

Which reminds me, it definitely seemed like Libera and Ariesu-sama knew each other a lot. Could that girl be a disciple of the Revelling Flare? Is that why she was fascinated by my red-marked talismans and relics of The Reincarnation of Aries? And, if Shoku-kami and Ariesu-sama were speaking the other hour, were they having our conversation on a higher plane of existence? In the realm of the gods, is Shoku-kami too broke to afford a visitor’s bedroom? So many questions, and so many more. Ahh, I should stop thinking and enjoy my bath.

 

Hmm, though if there’s one thing I loved about today, it’s that I finally found a friend. Shoku-kami taught me the difference between an “acquaintance” and a “friend”, and I feel Libera fits the second category. Even if I’d just met her, which would automatically put her in the first, I felt something different from speaking with her. I don’t know how or why or if it is even possible, but talking to her made my soul jump.

 

Phew. I suppose that’s all of the hot spring thoughts I have for tonight.

 

I submerge myself into the hot spring and extend my arms in relaxation. Looking at the sky, I recite my nightly prayer.

 

‘Shoku-kami, thank you for blessing me today, and may you continue blessing me on the next. Your grace is the inspiration of your people, and of my whole existence. As you continue to guide my life, I shall continue to guide your people. And, for my special intentions:

 

May my quest to ascend into godhood be an unwavering path of righteousness.’

 

Whatever the heck that means.

0