Chapter 2: The Realm of Youkai Pt. 1
163 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two years later…

 

'By The Beautiful Convergence, fall victim to your hollow mind!'

 

With the flick of my wrist, I throw my violet-marked talisman at tremendous speeds. It lands its mark on the stone statue before me and shatters it into violet dust. That's step one.

 

I grab a red-marked talisman with my two longest fingers.

 

'By The Reincarnation of Aries, kneel to my command!'

 

The talisman glows and disintegrates as four flaming orbs are summoned. With a thought, I command them to move toward the violet dust and — once again — blow it up.

 

What was once a stone statue of likely unimportance became a cloud of smoke. Time for the finisher!

 

'You shall be faced with a fate worse than death — by my blade: Tsukigasaku!'

 

I tightly hold my katana with my left and assume a stance. Then, I pull out a gold-marked talisman using my right.

 

'By The Divine Grandmaster! Be slashed into the abyss!'

 

As the talisman glows into dust, a rush surges from within my body. My blade, now imbued with the element of lightning, crackles with energy. With graceful precision, I unleash my current ultimate sword technique:

 

'Akatsukigasaku!'

 


CHAPTER TWO: THE REALM OF YOUKAI PT. 1


~ACT 1: Falling~

 

'Hmm. I can see improvement, Rize.'

 

Gasping for air, I slowly raise my head. My goddess stands before me in her human form.

 

'For the pros. First, your aim is as good as ever. I'm proud you landed my Shoku talismans with that beautiful precision of yours.'

 

Phew. It would've been a shame if I didn't.

 

'Precisely. Second, for the first time ever, you precisely slashed every single smoke particle within the span of a half-second. Better than your 99% record yesterday.'

 

No way.

 

'And, third. Eh, that's about it.'

 

Ow... Why are you like this, mom...?

 

'Fret not, Rize,' Shoku-kami condescendingly tells me, 'You only made six mistakes today.'

 

Hah. "Only"?

 

I grab my katana and turn away from my goddess. 'I'm tired… Shoku-kami.'

 

But my goddess remains stern. 'Then rest, for it is getting late. Your training resumes tomorrow morning. Sleep well, my darling.'

 

She snaps her fingers and elegantly disappears into violet dust. Damn, I wish I could teleport.

 

...

 

Every day, I can't help but reminisce about that one evening two years ago. How exciting it must've been to be approached by one of your gods and told about your future. I felt my life accelerate into a pleasant speed. I was looking forward to myself. And, most of all, it seemed like I had hope of becoming a goddess.

 

Yet now, I'm unworthy. My cons in training are always outnumbering the pros. I would either improve by a little or become worse by a lot. Ugh, and Shoku-kami's acting like she wants to keep me, even if I'm doing terribly. My battle technique and gracefulness hardly emulate hers. Why hasn't she replaced me yet?

 

Oh, and don't get me started on that "destiny" bullshit. This is a world where you forge your own destiny. "Destiny" and "fate" are excuses for the weak who fail miserably — such as I. Never was I destined to be The Shrine Maiden of Eclipse Blossom. No, Shoku-kami picked a random ten-year-old girl from an orphanage. The Almighty Goddess of the Eclipse; The Beautiful Convergence; The Protector of Shusokyo, does not deserve a freeloader.

 

'Why, Shoku-kami?! Why am I still your maiden?! Answer me, Shoku-kamiiiiii!'

 

 

Hah… Haaah… I'm out of breath. My vision's blurring. I need to prepare myself for tomorrow. I let myself fall onto the futon and, like in that one night two years ago, shed some tears.

 

'You're a good person, Rize. Don't be too hard on yourself.'

 

Oh, Libera… I wish you and I could talk right now. I haven't seen you since that day… I hope you're doing okay…

 

I miss you… I miss… my… friend...

 

……

 

'Ree, you're being too hard on your servant. You're a terrible boss.'

 

Unh… Who's saying that…

 

'I'm only doing this to instill humility. Something you and your shameless lackeys do not have.'

 

...What a concerned, motherly voice...

 

'Yeesh. Give me a break, and even more for that girl. I do not sense a single inch of confidence in her!'

 

E...eh… is that other voice talking about me…?

 

'Explain your presence in my shrine, Keyshit. Had you not been so honoured, I would have dropped a supernova on you.'

 

'Ohoho, how brave you are. It's about that girl, you see.'

 

'What about her?!'

 

I faintly hear the sound of two fingers snapping. Ugh, what is it with people and snapping?

 

'Trust me. She'll train a lot better this way.'

 

W-What is going on? I'm suddenly hearing obnoxious screeches from all directions. Come on, this has to be a dream. Wake up!

 

...

 

AH! Everything's so eerie! And there's lava everywhere! Where the hell am I?!

 

'Precisely,' a queenly voice echoes, 'Welcome to Makai.'

 

M-M-MAKAI??????!!!!!!!

 

……

 

Makai, The Realm of Youkai. The central realm of supernatural malice. Spirits, beasts, ghouls, demons, and even gods of wicked hearts seek refuge in this accursed land. For as long as the concept of evil exists in the world, so would Makai.

 

Shoku-kami would tell tall tales about this unholy realm, and all of them point to one thing — that Makai is bad business. Not even the most malicious of souls think of living in this realm, yet they do it because they have nowhere else to go. Makai is among the key realms in the cosmic structure that is the underworld, along with Hell, Helheim, and some other Hell's I forgot about. Darkness reigns supreme here, and chaos controls it all.

 

I've researched youkai in my spare time. Some look like they want to eat you, others look like they want to kill you, a few look like they want to bang you— the list goes on. The horned ones especially… grr, I wouldn't want to talk about them too much. And to think I'm in a realm full of those. This is like playing Pocket Demons in real life, except I'll be dead before the end of it!

 

Which begs the question: How did I deserve this? I know I'm terrible, disgraceful, and all that - but I'm not that terrible, disgraceful, and all that. I suck as Shoku's Shrine Maiden, but I'm not a soul of pure malice... Unless Shoku-kami finally kicked me out for being an embarrassment for her lovely image? Oh my Goddess, was I this much of a nuisance to you-?

 

AH, THAT HURTS! I got whipped?!

 

'You've been naughty, Rize.'

 

Okay, who the hell is this thing behind me?!

 

...Oh, kuso. It can't be.

 

'It is. Empress Kishin, Ruler of my beloved Makai. Ohoho, it's so nice to finally have you in my realm, Shoukuhana no Rize.'

 

Creepy! 'Why are you excited about me- Ow!'

 

The empress retracts her thorned whip. 'It's because you're special,' she replies with cutesy joy. Urgh, why am I calling the Queen of Evil "cute"?

 

I suddenly notice blood gushing from my head and arms. The ivory white hues of my sleeves have become tainted with crimson splatters. My eyes have begun to fail from the reddish rain. Really, what have I done to deserve this?!

 

'Kishin-sama…' I plead before the silver-haired goddess of youkai, 'Please… Stop…'

 

And as I should have expected from an evil goddess, she decides to refuse. I can faintly see her sadistic expression.

 

Shoku-kami, you wouldn't have done this. R...Right?

 

'Hahahahaha! You look prettier when you're suffering.'

 

And just like that, I get whipped yet again. I can’t help but let out a scream in pain. The sounds of cracking echo from my back, as if my spine is being broken apart.

 

'Violence is our way of negotiating here,' Kishin imposingly declares. She suddenly kicks me backward with an overwhelming force I cannot feel — all I feel is my heart beating rapidly.

 

'Then,' I attempt to speak out with my ruined voice, 'F…'

 

And before I could finish my sentence, Kishin steps on my chest, laughing maniacally as she digs her high heel deeper into my body.

 

'Fuck…… you………'

 

With my limited vision, I see glimpses of my bones and organs flying from Kishin's blows. My vessels explode into bloody rain, as my heartbeat stops entirely. She trampled on my heart like a worthless piece of trash — a blatant symbol of my sad existence.

 

...

 

Sigh. Twenty years of life culminate into this painful yet painless death. All the good and bad I'd done in this world brought me to this cursed realm.

 

How… depressing.

 


CHARACTER INFO

 

Name: Rize Hanakotoba

AKA: Shoukuhana no Rize, Shrine Maiden of Eclipse Blossom

Species: Human

Age: 20

Birthday: June 4th

Residence: Shrine of Shoku, Shusokyo, Hitoshi

Height: 5'7"

Weight: 56 kg

Hair: Violet

Eyes: Pink

Usual Mood: Judgmental, with a sprinkle of insecurity

 

'Shoku-kami… Why did you choose me?


~ACT 2: Recollection~

 

I could hardly remember my younger years, especially those in the orphanage. The one thing I recall doing is asking them about my parents, to which they would always reply with a “no”. I definitely had acquaintances, but no other beings to call “friends”. Even at my most sociable self, I felt like a complete loner.

 

At age ten, I was adopted into The Shrine of Shoku by the eclipse goddess Shoku-kami and became the Shrine Maiden of Eclipse Blossom. I was revered by many as an inspiration; a mentor; an idol; a heroine. And Shoku-kami would often speak about how she chose me for a reason. I felt like the chosen one, the protagonist, the light in the darkness, and my god’s human persona.

 

From then on, things were looking up for me. I became a scholar in a high school for great minds. I gained closer acquaintances, did well, and even received frequent donations from my academy. Despite my status, people did not treat me too differently and accepted me as who I was as a person. Ah, I can suddenly recall that one time when Shoku-kami became a substitute teacher for a week. Haha, good times…

 

Two years ago, I graduated from school and completely separated from my peers. They had their own paths, I had my own, and we had no drive to contact each other. Because of that, the next three months were long and painful, up until I met that Iretean. That green-haired Libera Veritazione, my foreign friend who acted like an angel. Then, there was Ariesu-sama, who informed me about my future training. I remember looking forward to my future. I remember being even more motivated than I already was. And I remember feeling joyous about myself, and my duty as the metaphorical bridge between Shusokyo and their goddess Shoku-kami.

 

And now? I failed. I failed Shoku-kami over and over again. I’m not improving at all. I even hear that our shrine has a bad reputation outside Shusokyo. Without special events, donations to my shrine are next to none. Did I screw up somewhere? Am I lacking charisma? Are my dances too stiff, my performances too dull? Could it be all of them? Whatever it is, I’m just that unfit for the job. It really seemed like Shoku-kami wanted to keep me — I mean, she “chose me for a reason”. But even the “chosen ones” can turn to failure, me being the prime example. It must be humiliating for Shoku-kami.

 

At the end of it all, I was sent to a realm full of malicious youkai. I suppose I was that much of an embarrassment — a false prophet, one may say. Shoku-kami trusted me, yet I failed her. I cared about everything I did for her and still screwed up anyway. Then again, I’m sure a goddess such as she wouldn’t care about mortal trash. She must be picking her next shrine maiden by now.

 

Looking back, living this life meant a lot of responsibility and pain. The same can be said for all lives, but mine happened to contain so much of them. Being Shusokyo’s sole shrine maiden is not easy. No, it is difficult and emotionally draining. I cannot envision another person like me taking up the role without sacrificing her own individuality. It’s as if I was a slave of my own goddess.

 

Yet when I recall the good times I had, I cannot deny they were fantastic. There was Shoku-kami being the mother I never had, up to the very end. There were those fun moments in high school I partially remember, which I cherish up to this day. There were kind visitors who complimented me and offered more than money. Then, there were Libera and Ariesu-sama. In all of those times, I felt special. I felt proud of myself. I felt love and joy. And all of these moments, I dearly remember.

 

Shoku-kami once spoke about what mortals go through when they meet their demise. Before facing divine judgment under their god’s command, they receive a flashback of their entire lifespan; key memories compressed into minutes for self-reflection. I know she’s an omniscient god and all, but she certainly was right here.

 

The world truly was cruel. But, it sure was pretty.

 

Sayonara… Beautiful world…

 

Sayonara...

 

 

……

 

………

 

…………

'Rize.'

 

Urgh… Who's voice is that…?

 

'Rize.'

 

Ah. I must be in purgatory.

 

'Rizeee…'

 

Hmm. That voice sounds like an angel's. Did I get into heaven?

 

'Hana-channnn…'

 

"Hana-chan"? Wait, Libera?!

 

I am suddenly greeted by a white flash of light, which dissolves into the image of my shrine's interior. Thankfully, there aren’t any blood splashes and broken bones on the floor. No traces of violent youkai either.

 

Hah, I knew that was all a dream. Though I must say my pillow is comfier than usual.

 

'Rizeeeee…'

 

'Ah… Morning… Be...ry……'

 

I turn my head around and bump a piece of white cloth. There seems to be a soft lump beneath, its texture much like silky skin. Mmm, it smells good all of a sudden. Ah, I can't stop sniffing this perfume-like scent.

 

'Oh, so you were into me this whole time. You should've said so!'

 

Uh, what?

 

A pair of warm hands gently turns my head toward the ceiling. I could see Libera looking downward at me, smiling as she caresses my violet hair with soft, delicate fingers– cut the crap. Is the Iretean girl giving me a lap pillow?!

 

'B-B-Bery?!' I stutter, 'Why are you-?'

 

'Shush,' Libera interrupts me, 'You've been hard on yourself again. Why would you do the thing I told you not to do?'

 

Huh? Hard on myself?

 

I clear my throat. 'Libera, I appreciate the concern. But Shoku-kami purposefully disowned me, and for good reason. I'm a truly unworthy shrine maiden of the eclipse. I failed her over and over again.'

 

I raise myself up-

 

'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!'

 

-and experience overwhelming pain, as if my body had completely given up. I'm sure I haven't been overworking myself. This can't be on me.

 

Please, whoever you are, stop this torture! Take me out of my misery! My dream was already bad enough!

 

'Calm down, Hana-chan. Andrà tutto bene.'

 

Much like some character from a romance novel, or during that fateful day two years ago, Libera holds my right cheek and lightly strokes my skin. Oh, how the turns have tabled.

 

Tears fall uncontrollably from my eyes as my heart grows heavy. 'Li...bera…'

 

And like that green-haired Iretean girl I knew, she is still keeping that lovely smile. 'Here, let me help you.'

 

She hums a lovely tune — a folk song, I would guess. With grace, she raises her palm and hovers it above my breast- nandato?!

 

'W-What are you-?'

 

I try moving my body again but to no avail. Kuso, is this foreplay?!

 

‘Libera, for the love of your hedonist god, please-!’

 

'Boop.'

 

…………

 

Argh. It… It hurts.

 

My heart. I can feel it bleeding. And bleeding. And suddenly, stopping.

 

'You thought you were done with us, eh?'

 

That voice. It sounds corrupted. I can sense pure malicious intent from her way of speaking. It’s not Kishin-sama’s. But it’s bad business.

 

'No. Please, no!'

 

'Oh, yes. Please, yes!'

 

The scenery around me changes into one with maroon bricks and ever-burning flames. I appear to be chained onto a metallic platform stained with blood and deep scratches. This place reeks of iron and demonic incense, a familiar combination I’d recently been acquainted with. I know this place.

 

'Welcome back to Makai, Rize Hanakotoba.'

 

And I’m already hating this.

 

'Hmm,' that unknown voice seems to ponder, 'Then again, you've never really left it.'

 

I frantically twist my head both ways to see what's going on. My eyes instinctually lock on to a shadow from the far right. Through some strangeness, my sight is covered with a shade of dark blue. But at the forefront of my vision, I sense a glowing, red flame drawing nearer.

 

'Oh?' I say with snobbishness, 'You're approaching me?'

 

I exit the tint of blue and spot something very different from a flame. The walking bonfire manifests itself as a tall-looking, silver-haired woman with ears like a fox’s.

 

'A... kitsune youkai?!'

 

"Kitsune": highly intelligent, fox-like youkai with supernatural senses. Very well known in ancient and modern cultures, especially the cosplay community. They are said to be ambassadors to Ame-no-Uzume-kami, the Hito-sho goddess of the arts known in the divine realm as The Great Persuader. The myths describe them to be tricksters at heart, possessing child-like dispositions along with their unparalleled minds — with their illusory prowess and shapeshifting abilities, this is undoubtedly appropriate. Of the several I have studied, this particular type of youkai entered my personal “avoid at all costs” list. That whole illusion thing with Libera should explain why.

 

'How intriguing.' The kitsune grins. 'I wouldn't be admiring your cuteness if I hadn't gotten closer.'

 

I audibly grunt to assert my aggression. ‘Introduce yourself!’

 

The youkai swooshes her long silver hair and laughs in mockery. She unfolds a fan composed of shiny, silver blades.

 

From one impure soul to another.

 


CHARACTER INFO

 

Name: Kuragari

AKA: Makai’s Wild Card

Species: Nogitsune

Age: Unknown, but very large

Birthday: Unknown, but she doesn't care

Residence: Makai

Height: 5'11" in human form

Weight: 64 kg

Hair: Silver

Eyes: Black

Usual Mood: Mischievous

 

'I'm no ordinary kitsune. Didn't you study youkai?'


~ACT 3: Faith~

 

“Nogitsune”: the most wicked and traitorous of kitsune youkai. Like the deadliest of youkai, their hearts contain pure malice, and their intentions are far from just simple pranks. Though extremely rare, it is said that encountering one is a streak of terrible luck. How fortunate! And she called herself “Makai’s Wild Card” just now. Damn, I must be really special to have her as my hostess- Ow!

 

‘Indeed,’ Kuragari remarks with pride after skillfully pinning my limbs with knives, ‘Your soul is a perfect candidate for divinity. It’s… delicious.’

 

Umm. Did she just call me “tasty”?

 

‘Well then,’ I challenge her, ‘What are you waiting for? Get me! Eat me! Do whatever to keep me from existing!’

 

‘Ahahahahaha!’ the nogitsune laughs, ‘Your enthusiasm is genuine! But you shouldn’t rush, my teeny sweetheart. I need to prepare my meat first!’

 

Ah, she does have a point. Ohh, I do hope there’s Matsusaka beef in the afterlife- Ahhnnn!

 

‘What a lovely sound~!’ Kuragari jingles with joy after throwing a hundred knives at me. Yeesh.

 

‘Finish me,’ I say with the minimal willpower I currently possess, ‘I’m tired of suffering. Just end me.’

 

The nogitsune taps my lips with her finger. ‘Hush, I need you to marinate in your own juices.’

 

Ummm. WHAT?!

 

Sayonara, beautiful maiden.

 

Like literally every divine being I know, Kuragari snaps her fingers and disappears. I didn’t even get to know her that much… Kuso, dying alone is gonna feel even worse.

 

‘Ahhhhhhhhh! This is so boring! I’d rather escape this place than suffer on my own!’

 

 

Eureka! I will escape this place. Not even the treacherous Makai will stop me! Hrngghhhhh!

 

……I can’t lift myself up. It’s like that thing with Libera earlier, except with fifty pairs of knives crucifying me — in other words, even worse. But I have a plan.

 

I carefully reach for a talisman from my skirt. Lucky me, I pulled out a violet-marked Shoku talisman. ‘By The Beautiful Convergence, shield me from uncertainty!’

 

 

Right. I’m not a shrine maiden anymore, am I? Even if I’m wearing a shrine maiden’s clothes. Even if I recite the correct incantations. Even if I somehow grabbed a proper talisman from my skirt pocket. Rize Hanakotoba is not a shrine maiden, and will never be for the disgrace she is.

 

Yet, I do not see any other way out. I feel as if my soul is being watched by eyes from every corner, threatened to be destroyed should it move a single inch. My body having been restrained, my mind about to give in to the creeping madness — I would need a god’s power to break free.

 

And I suddenly remembered.

 

Your soul is a perfect candidate for divinity.

 

Like hell it is! Those were words spoken from a nogitsune, the evilest of all trickster youkai. She was clearly playing a prank on me. The textbook “tease”. Giving me hope, before crushing it and everything else I have left. I’m not falling for that bullshit.

 

…But what if I'm wrong? What if she really meant it, and is tricking me into believing otherwise to make me look more like a fool? No, I'm being too optimistic. Though… it wouldn't hurt to try.

 

I close my eyes and, in inner silence, I pray:

 

‘O Shoku-kami, I humbly ask for forgiveness from thee. Despite my daily failures, you kept me for a long time, providing me with proper shelter and parentage I wouldn’t have received from the orphanage. You have blessed my life with opportunities, love, and the honour of serving your beautifulness.

 

My worry in serving you well had overtaken me, bringing me to this cursed realm. I never saw myself as worthy of being your shrine maiden — which I believe now to be a foolish thought. Why else would you have kept me for so long, caring for and educating me? I must be special to often receive these blessings from a god, right?’

 

I’d begun speaking out purely from my desperate heart. After analysing everything that happened, I realised how much of an idiot I was. If I wasn’t worthy, why didn’t Shoku-kami banish me from the shrine sooner? No, I cannot believe this. I absolutely do not deserve to be her servant! I’ve always failed at training! And-!

 

… And…

 

……………

 

…………………

 

Yet again, tears uncontrollably fall from my eyes. My emotions freeze into the calming tundra of regret. Were Libera’s haunting words always correct? Have I really been too hard on myself…?

 

S… Shoku… kami… I really am such a fool…

 

… Of the several times I’d torn up today, this has to be the most emotional one. Never have I spoken with so much passion in my life. I’d been sent to Hell, killed by its goddess, given a vision of false comfort, and left to die once more, all without even being given a chance to act against anything. The world has tortured me these past hours. And in the realm with a powerful, evil goddess such as Kishin-sama:

 

I need the help of a powerful, elegant goddess such as Shoku-kami.

 

‘Rize,’ I hear an unfamiliar voice call, ‘I do not tolerate self-destruction. What you did was of peak stupidity. But.'

 

A violet light shines on me. Beneath it, a violet-haired woman wearing a noh mask and miko clothes closely approaches. Her outfit reminds me of something from the Rochishi era, and her hairstyle is folded in an elegant manner. 

 

'Your faith is unfaltering.'

 

She warmly embraces me with her head and arms. In seconds, I sense familiar spiritual energy returning to my body.

 

I will try again.

 

By The Beautiful Convergence,' I lead with a compelling command, 'Shield me from uncertainty!

 

An aura of violet envelops my body, protecting me from supernatural sources of harm. Now to get out of here. I close my eyes and take one deep breath. Then with all of my energy, I raise myself-

 

'HrnghhhhhHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!'

 

-and am greeted with the lovely tune of broken chains, frantically dangling on the stone floor. I have finally escaped my metal platform of death.

 

Now, to actually get out of here. With a single thought, I enter my blue-filtered visual trance. Past the walls, I could see specks of redness from all over. Could this redness represent a heart of malice? I need to leave this place ASAP.

 

'By The Divine Grandmaster,’ I recite as I pull out a Torudin talisman, ‘My blade shall be blessed with holy thunder!’

 

 

‘Eh?!’

 

Suddenly, a maroon aura surrounds me, combining with the violet aura to form a magenta-ish colour. As I take one step, I find myself in a different room. And another. And another. And, another! It’s as if the blinding speeds of my empowered slashes have transformed into my own speed. It will only be a matter of time until I reach the exit!

 

‘And there it is!’

 

I come face-to-face with a bright white light. It must be unusual to see those in Makai. Like a video game dungeon, this has to be my way out!

 

But before anything else, I must pray. Both in thanksgiving— and in guidance for leaving this literal hell hole.

 

‘Shoku-kami, thank you for blessing me today, and may you continue blessing me on the next. Your grace is the inspiration of your people, and of my whole existence. As you continue to guide my life, I shall continue to guide your people. And, for my special intentions:

 

I am thankful to be your servant yet again. Please, see my journey across Makai to its end.’

 

 

Hmm? Leaving so soon?

 

 

 

0