Chapter 3: The Realm of Youkai Pt. 2
133 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I end my prayer with a bow. Never should I expect anything less from the benevolence of the eclipse goddess Shoku-kami, who continues to accept me despite my clear flaws. Then again, I suppose I was the one being hard on myself.

 

The white light before me shines even brighter as if it were inviting me closer. How could I resist this urge?

 

My maroon aura having disappeared, I walk toward the light. I take my first step, and hear the sound of metal clanging. I take another one, and hear it again — this time closer. I stop my movement…

 

And the ferric chime grows louder. I turn around—

 

'Hmm? Leaving so soon?'


CHAPTER THREE: THE REALM OF YOUKAI PT. 2


~ACT 1: In Makai, Demons Save You~

 

'Reishō!'

 

I activate my azure vision.

 

'What do you now see, Rize?'

 

Through my spiritual sight, the silhouette shows itself as a tall, well-made, black-haired man with an eloquent coat and horns very much like a demon's— no, it must be a demon's. I'm in Makai for Shoku's sake!

 

I elegantly pull out a Shoku talisman from my pocket. 'Introduce yourself now, handsome devil. So I may call your name while I enjoy killing you.'

 

Several pillars of flames erupt behind the demon. The orange lights brighten the view of my aggressor, unleashing the image of a formally-dressed demon man.

 

'Reveila Kira, Archfiend of The Magnolium. Just "Kira" is fine.'

 

Ohoho, what a dreamboat~! His deep voice, fit for a prim and proper butler-type; along with that jet-black coat and trousers, hiding what I'd love to believe are hard muscles and an effective seed dispenser— aaaaaAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

 

‘Hmm? Is there anything wrong, maiden?’

 

Yes, a lot of things! First, there was me being sent to Makai. Then, there was that moment with Libera. And now, this? I'm starting to feel like the protagonist of a fiction novel. No ordinary human can be this lucky and unlucky! Damn it, my life must have to be a story-driven source of entertainment for some random people to enjoy! Ahem.

 

'So, Kira,' I say enticingly, tapping my index fingers together, 'I was wondering if you could bring me out of this place. Like, stay by my side on the way out?'

 

The demon walks toward me with metal boots. With each one of his steps, I could imagine a blacksmith hammering a rod of molten iron.

 

'What is it, then?' I aggressively fish for my answer, 'Will you help me?'

 

And... he continues marching nearer. Without a single hint of a reply. He's acting rough~!

 

I instinctually walk backward, toward the blinding white light, and—

 

'Huh? What the?'

 

—bump into a wall?! The pure white shine of hope fades into the transparent nothingness. Meanwhile, more pillars of flame begin to erupt from the man's tracks.

 

'Go on,' I continue, 'Speak up!'

 

Yet Kira remains silent. Now standing menacingly before me, he plants one hand on the wall and inches closer with glowing red eyes. His cold breaths caressing my hair, his warmth overwhelming my atmosphere, him pinning me to the wall like this— Shoku-kami, what did I do to deserve these blessings?!

 

'Hmm…'

 

 

Kuso, was I too lost in thought? Did he actually say something before? Why does this keep happening to me?

 

'I have a better idea,' Kira replies with a stoic lack of emotion.

 

'Oh?' I hold my talisman closer to his chin in a threatening manner. 'What do you propose?'

 

He swiftly turns around, flawlessly swishing his coat like I would my hair in a mentoring session. The room of darkness brightens as a glowing, sheathed blade forms on his back.

 

'Let's destroy Empress Kishin, together.'

 

 

'My, my. You're one brave, rebellious demon.'

 

I attempt to summon my signature katana out of thin air. Reaching outward with my right and unfolding my palm, I cup the air before me as if I were holding the hilt of my blade. Closing my eyes I recite:

 

'Tsuki, materialise.'

 

And on command, a sheath falls onto my hand. I open my eyes to be precise— with Tsukigasaku on hand, I shall rise.

 

...I never expected this to actually work.

 

'And that's that. Let's slay her, together.'

 

Through instinct, my Reishō activates. I could sense loads of red auras heading toward us in a stampede. Wait, why does Kira not have a colour? ...No matter, he's an ally for now.

 

'...Affirmative.'

 

The handsome demon unsheathes his blade as I do my own. He locks into a stance, seemingly preparing for a mighty flurry of slashes.

 

'......Let's go.'

 

And with prose and grace, we harvest blood in a race. Redness envelops our faces, exterminating demons without a trace. Two beings of different planes, a great power that never wanes, blinding speed faster than light; reign victorious over Makai's blight.

 

Only now am I appreciating the fruits of my training. My oblivious self could not understand the intensity of Shoku-kami's training.

 

It all started on the day after Libera’s visit.

 

'Rize, your objective of the year is to swing your blade with certainty and velocity… past that of light.'

 

I first thought this to be humanly impossible— a scientist from the nation of Kwk once said no object in the universe can exceed lightspeed. Indeed, it is insane to believe someone could outspeed the fastest thing ever recorded in the history of humankind. But, I was so lost in my faith and focus that:

 

'I shall not disappoint you, Shoku-kami.'

 

I believed. I believed that through her guidance and power, I would get there. That I would move faster than light, to the impossible. That I would become the "impossible".

 

Since then, Shoku-kami never told me about my progress. She would often tease me, expressing vague statements — her "you'll know eventually" and "we'll see soon" are the most common ones. Not a single sign of my progress was given to me. And so, I felt despair. I saw myself as a complete failure.

 

Now, I've sided with a powerful demon guy and we're destroying youkai from all over. Phantoms, ghouls, and even mighty oni are falling victim to our blades. To be able to survive in Makai, one of the Greater Hells of the world, as a human who even lost her powers— is certainly a blessing from my goddess. No, not just that; it is also an effect of my "failed training".

 

Perhaps, she did this to ensure I would keep improving. By tricking me into thinking I had not reached my goal, I would exceed light speed by a greater margin. She must've thought that if I knew I'd broken the speed — I would become too complacent. This must be the reason. And if I am right about this...

 

'By The Beautiful Convergence, fall victim to your hollow mind!'

 

Shoku-kami, you really do care about me!

 

 

'Rize!'

 

I quickly react to Kira's distinct voice. 'What?'

 

The two of us are faced with a newly-spawned horde of youkai. Their numbers seem much larger than our combined kill count, possibly thousands more so. But more importantly, standing behind them all is a tall, velvet door. 

 

This must be the boss room.

 

'Kishin's chamber is up ahead. This hallway is said to be infinite in length, but I believe your speed can go through it like a breeze.'

 

I stop for a bit and catch my breath. A handful of seconds is all I have before reliving the thrill of combat.

 

'You have a lot of faith for a demon of Makai,' I cheekily remark with a smile, 'Quite rebellious too.'

 

‘Hmph,’ Kira grunts, ‘You’re the one who lacks faith in yourself.’

 

Huh? What are you, my daddy?

 

‘Are you ready, Rize?’

 

I select two Torudin talismans with my two fingers. Chanting the incantation in my mind, I invoke two maroon auras of speed — one for myself and the other for my blade. Seeing the horde draw closer, I prepare my quickdraw stance.

 

Let’s dance.

 

 

……

 

‘Good job, Rize. We made it.’

 

‘Hah… Y-Yeah…’

 

A second has passed, and both of us have entered Kishin’s throne room. It is as ominous as one may imagine; a dark ambiance, a red carpet stained redder with fresh blood, a floor made of hard stone, and much more.

 

Hands on my knees, I once again catch my breath. Though moving quickly was not as exhausting as I envisioned, the hell-warm air of this realm put my senses to the test. I’m sweating like crazy!

 

‘Kira,’ I say amidst my panting, ‘Why do you want to slay Empress Kishin?’

 

‘It’s none of your business.’ The demon crosses his arms.

 

‘Oh?’ I tease, ‘Do you want to slay her in love?

 

‘No. I’m taken.’

 

Nandato?!

 

I cross my arms and sigh, having an opportunity of mine destroyed by three words. ‘Well, I’m happy for you. Though I still don't get why you have to go to such lengths to rescue me. Also, where the hell is she-?!’

 

Here.

 

AH-!

 


CHARACTER INFO

 

Name: Kishin

AKA: Empress Kishin, Ruler of Makai, Empress of Makai

Species: God of Youkai Essence

Age: ???

Birthday: The concept of days had not existed during her birth

Residence: Makai

Height: 5'10" in human form

Weight: ???

Hair: Silver

Eyes: Red

Usual Mood: Playfully sadistic

 

'Did you miss me?'


~ACT 2: Trial By Destruction~

 

 

The cruel goddess Kishin mischievously cackles. I am seriously tired of divine beings like this!

 

'BY THE DIVINE GRANDMASTER, BE SLASHED INTO OBLIVION!'

 

Yet even with my amplified speed, I could not land a hit on her. As expected of a goddess...

 

'Aw. So you don't miss me.'

 

The chamber is illuminated by several torches of red flames. Now my perception of this room becomes more sensible. From here, I could see a fountain of blood and skeletons of many different origins, neatly organised into an artist's dream. And behind them, is a throne of crimson and gold — and over there seats a silver-haired woman in bloodstained robes. Her prose is of a mistress's; one that will attempt to forcedly take you over. Unlike what her anarchist residents and ideology may suggest, the Empress of Makai is a ruler with true power. This will be a difficult negotiation.

 

'Kishin!' I yell, 'What the hell do you want from me?!'

 

With the wave of a hand, Kishin closes the enormous doors behind us. I suppose we moved too fast to even notice.

 

'Oh? And I thought my nogitsune already told you.'

 

'What, that my soul is a perfect candidate for divinity?'

 

The Empress of Makai grins and raises her staff. 'And Kira, I've been expecting you. Go, do your duty.'

 

The demonic warrior slowly treads toward Kishin's throne. Even more slowly, he kneels onto the carpet and drops his blade on the ground.

 

'Yes, Empress Kishin.'

 

As I would expect of this cool being, he gently picks up his blade and prepares his stance — pointing at Empress Kishin, who is letting herself stay wide open. I don't care if she's a goddess, you can do it Kira-!

 

...

 

...U-Ugh... M-My... h...heart...

 

...K...Ki...ra...?!

 

A high-pitched noise dominates my hearing. The next thing I knew is my heart having been pierced once again, this time by a blade of demonic essence.

 

'AhahahahahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!'

 

I hear Kishin's twisted, sadistic laugh, overpowering my troublesome tinnitus. O Shoku-kami... save me...

 

Identical to my first encounter with the Makai goddess, Kira kicks me backward onto the ground. I feel my spine shattering yet again. Raising my head with tainted willpower, I come across the image of the demon I once liked. He snaps his fingers, emitting radiant lights of pure white. From it emerges a familiar shadow, revealing itself to be— that damned Kuragari.

 

I'm at a loss for words. I'd been deceived this whole time. A vision of false hope was made yet again.

 

'YOU'LL PAY FOR THIS, FOX! SHOKU-KAMI WILL PUNISH YOU!'

 

I activate Reishō yet again. The colourless aura once belonging to the warrior had transformed into a scarlet ball. The camaraderie I had envisioned with Kira disappeared, now manifesting itself as a relationship of hate. I've been tricked, backstabbed, and bamboozled — twice — all by one silver bitch.

 

'Calling for your mommy, desperate child?' Kuragari ridicules me, 'Wait 'til she knows about your dark secrets!'

 

'Dark secrets?! Sheesh, you're trying really hard!' And besides, won't my omniscient Shoku-kami already know?

 

'Hmm? Need I still explain your... obsessions? Things that would get you denounced as Shusokyo's maiden?'

 

H-Huh? Where is this coming from- AH, SHE'S HOLDING HER BLADE REALLY CLOSE TO MY NECK! BY SHOKU-KAMI, SHIELD ME FROM THE UNKNOWN!

 

My goddess's familiar violet aura surrounds me, protecting me from magical uncertainties. All of a sudden, I notice a wind pushing my neck away from her blade. I know this indication; it's what happens when the aura detects magic beyond my knowledge. But unlike a forceful wind that pushes me away from fatal blows, this light wind is lightly shoving my head toward the brick ground. It's as if I'm being told that Kuragari's blade is imbued with non-lethal magic. Why?

 

'Nice spell you got there,' the nogitsune remarks in a more serious tone, 'Eclipse magic is powerful, even against the most powerful youkai. Though, there is one problem'

 

She attempts to thrust her blade further down onto my neck and struggles. The repelling force of my anti-magic shielding aura grows stronger than before. I begin to focus my spiritual energy on reinforcing my aura, although I can also feel Kuragari's own strength increasing along with it.

 

'Mendokusai... How strong is your shield?!'

 

Despite having a bloodstained, broken body, I possess enough energy to deliver a smug grin. 'Stronger than you'll ever be.'

 

'Oho~ Bold words for a demon fantasiser.'

 

W-Wha?!

 

'I'm sorry,' I seek for a repeat, 'Mind retelling that fictitious claim? I would love to laugh at it again'

 

'I can see right through you, Rize. I am aware of your... fascination... with horned men. You adore how powerful they look, and can be. You admire their depictions as handsome, strong, and rough warriors. And you fantasise about being the recipient of this all, particularly with their masterful swordplay. Am I telling a lie, cute shrine maiden?'

 

U-Umm...

 

'Like hell you aren't, Kusogari! I'd expect nothing less from a cursed resident of Makai!'

 

The extremely annoying nogitsune laughs. Ugh, her strength is starting to overpower mine! Why am I losing focus all of a sudden?! These are blatant lies!

 

'And your favourite thing about them! Ever since reading about them, you'd daydream about seeing one in person. A strong, rough, and tough, man, with two horns large and in charge, ruthlessly leaving you wrecked in bed. Aha~ Isn't that embarrassing?!'

 

Why, you-!

 

'Oops, I forgot to say the spiciest bit~! You would think the best part of getting rough with one has to be holding onto those mighty horns as you bounce on their unsheathed blade. Ehe, and you were planning to do it with Kira eventually~!'

 

'U...Urusai...!'

 

'You're such a weirdo for a holy priestess, Shoukuhana no Rize-!'

 

'URUSAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!'

 

...

 

'Good work, Wild Card Kuragari.'

 

I open my eyes and find the nogitsune's blade thrust into my neck. Even with the reddish drops of blood falling into my field of view, I could clearly see the sadistic smiles of the two evil divine beings who abused me in their realm. Hardly any air is entering my lungs, neither is blood properly moving around my body. This pain... it's exactly like my first encounter with Kishin, but—

 

'I can... move?!'

 

Energy is surging through my arms and legs. The spirits of vigour and unwavering resolve are taking over my person, bringing me to unconsciously get on my feet. Dark red stains of my own substance have given my perception a reddish filter, quite the opposite of my cerulean Reishō. My world is dyed in a crimson tone, and that alone.

 

The world is truly pretty, and it sure is cruel. This overwhelming agony...

 

It brings me life.

 

'Ahahahahaha~!' Kuragari mocks me, presumably having read my thoughts. 'She is a genuine candidate for divinity, influenced by the greatness of Makai! Don't you think so, Kishin-sama?'

 

Without looking at her, I can envision the Makai goddess to be beaming in evil joy. 'Splendid. Absolutely splendid!'

 

My heart... is falling. My blood... is boiling. My emotions... are spilling. My life... has meaning.

 

My time on Rethando... has been a waste. My tears... have left a sour taste. For my beloved Makai... which with my presence I have graced—

 

To conquer the realms... I must make haste.

 

'Kuragari.' I point to the foolish nogitsune before me. 'Do you not feel shame after harming your master?'

 

'Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha! I admit that your power is nothing to scoff at, but my true master is-!'

 

She turns around to Kishin's throne, which is now empty. The once cruel and wicked fox is suddenly overwhelmed by regret. I find myself able to read her innermost intentions:

 

Kishin-sama, where are you?! Where have you gone?! ...No, is what you said earlier really true?! Is this shrine maiden going to be my new master?!!!

 

'You thought correctly.' And with a simple flick of a finger, I send Kuragari flying several yards onto a wall of red stone. Her scream of pain echoes across the chamber in a satisfying sequence of true suffering.

 

I cannot help but smile. I've known youkai to possess insane regenerative abilities, recovering from any forms of harm for as long as the idea of their existence exists. As for powerful Makai beasts such as Kuragari, they cannot even feel pain— let alone sustain harm, for as long as the concept of evil exists in the world. And yet, with a simple beautiful finger, I am torturing one.

 

Yes, I can feel it all. The ardour of true power, the lust for the agony of others, the excitement of superiority— AHAHAHAHAHAHA, I HAVE IT ALL~!

 

Like the mind-reading gods of my reality, I snap my first and third finger together with prose; but unlike those cowards who disappear into the nothingness afterward, I simply resume abusing my foxy plaything. From mundane, yet dominating, friction in my hand, several more blades pop out from the wall— impaling her from behind. A reverse crucifixion, one may describe. And with a single step, at a speed far exceeding one from a thunder god's blessing, I instantly appear before her terrified self. Oh, she looks so cute~ my fox-eared pincushion looks sooooooo cute~!

 

'Rize! What is the meaning of this?!'

 

My heart beats in pure joy. The heaviness I once felt within stayed no longer. This overwhelmingly arousing sensation I cannot put into words... ahahahahahahahahahahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, THIS IS ALL I COULD EVER WANT!

 

'You've been a naughty girl, Kuragari. SUBMIT TO ME LIKE THE SLAVE YOU ARE.'

 


WARNING: High Amounts of Sadism Ahead

 

If you feel heavy discomfort about torture and gore

And several more our new Rize has in store

Such as sadistic thoughts that the evil comprehend

Do skip to this chapter's very end

 

If you can bear to imagine scenes of violence

Or associate them with lovely violins

Or wish to know more about context and lore

Please enjoy this ride of torture and gore

 


~ACT 3: Violet Dark~

 

'A new Empress? Psh, any ruler of this lowly Makai is still lowly! TAKE THIS!'

 

'Kuragari, dispose of this wayward warrior.'

 

'It is my pleasure, Empress.'

 

How irritating; a powerful, otherworldly demon fighter found his way here. Can't a Ruler of Hell enjoy her throne in hellish tranquility? I suppose the weak will always try their hardest to reach the strong.

 

'Makai shall be the next Hell we conquer! No devilish fox will get in my way!'

 

The fighter punches with one hand, missing Kuragari and her clever speed. Though, I can see it in his highly confidential mind that he's setting up for another attack.

 

'Ohoho~ How enthusiastic, for someone in knife range- Ah?!'

 

The warrior unleashes a large beam of magic at Kuragari. How peculiar, I can feel its energy from here. Kuragari seems to be under immense pressure, but I'm sure she can regenerate from this.

 

'It's your turn, Makai's new mistress. Fall by my blade!'

 

Impressive. He is dashing toward me at a speed much faster than light— possibly millions or more so. To the common eye, even among standard demons in Makai, his movements would appear to be like teleportation. But for me:

 

'Guh... Where... did this blade... come from...'

 

It's a Tuesday.

 

'Onimasamune. A blade I summoned out of thin air. Surprised?'

 

My suspended, impaled target, gasps for air. Through one simple thought, I had stopped his movement and skewered him like a yakitori. I could have allowed him to keep his momentum and, with that speed, have himself halved by the stationary blade. But that wouldn't be fun, right?

 

'Heh. I won't lose! My training has brought me pain far beyond this plain act of torture. Makai shall fall, and The Nine Circles shall prevail!'

 

An annoying, determined, protagonist-type, who probably has the power of friendship. And from a rivaling faction nonetheless. Could someone have sent this peasant to piss me off? Whatever it is, I shall amuse myself.

 

'I take it your training has taught you to be a masochist?'

 

As expected, he becomes adorably perplexed.

 

'Psh, you're hilarious for the supposed goddess of all evil. Farewell, Kidshin.'

 

Ooh, he's going straight for me. I see that determined palm being raised. And... he... fires......

 

...

 

'Hmm? Were you trying to give me a light show?'

 

'I-Impossible! My magic was meant to obliterate youkai from Makai, including the goddess Kishin! How are you- AHHHHHHH!'

 

'Are you enjoying this?' I stick forty-seven more Onimasamune blades up the demon's nearly lifeless bodu. 'You're a masochist, yeah? If you can roll some boulders and bathe in cold lakes, why can't you enjoy a few blades?'

 

This rush of power is simply exciting. I have become immune to attacks made for killing Makai beasts. And whenever I read his mind or soul, only one message emerges:

 

That I have become the impossible.

 

In a swift motion, my nogitsune servant appears before the demon and delivers a powerful upward kick. Free from my collection of blades, the demon is sent flying hundreds of feet in the air, before dropping on my red carpet a few yards away. His intense, uncontrollable screams of pain... bring me joy.

 

'Excuse me for my tardiness, Mistress.'

 

I let out a slight grin. 'Your loyalty continues to amuse me, Wild Card. As for you, lowly demon.'

 

Stuck to the ground and left in shock by my superiority, the demon remains grounded— paralysed. He seemed unaware that a single Onimasamune can destroy all sorts of regeneration. Sadistic smile on deck, I approach the dying warrior and enter a trance of telepathy, linking the demon's vision with those of the Nine Circles. All according to my exhilarating, heart-throbbing plan — everyone in that realm will feel their fellow countryman's suffering!

 

'Konichiwa, Nine Circles-!'

 

'AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!'

 

Hmm. Though eargasmic, his howls are overpowering my voice. 'Ahem. Damare!

 

...And that's the last you will hear from him! Before I end your great warrior's suffering, allow me to explain three things. First, when you fight someone in a duel, please don't target your audience. Instead of finishing off my lovely Kuragari, your half-decent demon went for me! No wonder he got into, and became, a huge mess~ Ahahahahahaha!'

 

Before I move on, I need to put these high heels to use. With glorious evil intent, I force my right heel onto the demon's heart and pierce his ribcage. Large amounts of blood explode everywhere, along with some demonic organs too. No amount of regeneration will heal him from that~!

 

'Point two. Your not-so-fine warrior insisted on using magic created to destroy demons in Makai. I know you're practical, idealistic, and all, but have you ever considered the possibility of it not working? Did you ever think we residents of Makai can adapt to your inventions? I mean, look at him now, your assassin has become my abused ragdoll~!'

 

At last, I am about to impart my final message. I exert even more pressure on his body, causing his head to pop from his neck and zip in a vertical trajectory. Bloody rain pours.

 

'Point three.' For my final act, I catch his disembodied head and hold it below my face, gazing onto it to assert my superiority.

 

'Addressing me wrongly was your brethren's largest mistake. I am not Empress Kishin-kami, nor will I step down to such a level. You shall know I, Makai's ruler and your new master:

 

EMPRESS RHIZANTHELLA, MISTRESS OF VIOLET DARK

 

and, perhaps, your pathetic selves shall not have to fear.'

 

 

 

Eternities have passed. I have taken care of the realms of Hell that dared take over my Makai. My charming realm appears to be busy as ever — the brutal brawls and burning bawls are making this Empress's day. Though the conquering of several other realms is one thing to be celebrated, it is but one event compared to the daily occurrences within The Realm of Youkai. All but the true masters of this realm believe anarchy to be their culture, and battle to be their way of communication. To them, power dictates their lifestyles, and bloodshed denotes hard work. As for their masters, my Order of Violet Dark, the desire for power within the realm is a childish thought. Despite the immense might they already possess, especially my right-hand woman Kuragari, their mission is to serve their greater master while keeping the peaceful chaos of Makai in place.

 

As for I, The Mistress of Violet Dark, my Makai is a fun toy that never gets old. The thriving culture of carnage simply excites my soul, and my heart races from every second of it. Hordes of blood from the pigs in my utopia are supple sources of hydration and bathing. The sounds of suffering, betrayal, killing, genocide, lust, bloodlust, all of it — they bring about a feeling I can't just help but be addicted to.

 

For as long as the concept of evil exists among the infinite realms, I shall continue to possess absolute power; and through it, my Makai will stay to amuse me. I love it! I love it! I LOVE IT!!!

 

What is the root of all of this self-reflection, one may ask? Well... to be really honest...

 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Were you expecting me to shift the narrative to the cons of being Makai's goddess? Were you anticipating I, Empress Rhizanthella, to follow a common trope in your world's fiction? Oh, are you now confused about why you're being spoken to?

 

How peculiar. Perhaps you need a more detailed tour of my lovely world? Do you need me to explain why I'm aware of your existence? No worries, you can have them both— along with an opportunity to serve me my tender, loving care. We can watch the worlds burn, and you shall feel TRUE pain POWER, BY MY COMMAND!

 

...Interested, human?

 

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA~ Not even the best offers lack a price of equal value! All I will need from you, lovely human, is-

 

 

Ÿ̸̛̪̙̙͚͍̮́͐̐͂̇̂̓̈́͝͝O̵̮̙̝͍̻̟̰͍͇͔͔̗͑̓̽̌̊̆̂́̌̊̓̋͜͝ͅU̶̪̺̼̖̹̳̖͝R̴̢̛̳̳̻̠̮̤͔̩͔̭͙̎̋̒̄̀̀̎͆̿͘̚͜͠ͅ ̴̨̥̏̈́̽̎͑̉̄S̸̨̨̧̩͍͉̥̙̫̹̹̃̀́͂͒͝͝Ơ̴̡̨̝͖̤̯͇̺̳̩̮̿̀͒͜U̶̟͙̻͂͊̓̏̓̈́̉́͌̓͊͝L̶̡̧̡̦̱̦̗͕̲̭̯͐̑̔͆̏͠!

 

 

'Mistress Rhizanthella. We have an intruder on the way.'

 

I turn to my best subordinate. Her stern expression is as genuine as her words. Reading her mind, she forcefully suppressed her deceptive demeanor to send me this simple message. Even when I, through my omnipresence and omniscience, had been watching the unruly visitor since my position in power — which she is aware of — my Kuragari has decided to put loyalty before common sense. Of the multitudes of beings in my infinitely-sized Makai, this nogitsune deserves nothing but my personal, heartfelt punishment.

 

My eyes see everything. The intruder is standing across the infinitely-large hallway to my chamber. She is a beautiful, violet-haired maiden in an old-fashioned kimono. Seven colours of talismans in hand, and an elegant tachi blade sheathed by her right hip. The white flapped sleeves on her arms remind me of a shrine maiden. And that necklace... a sun and a moon...

 

That woman... is naughty.

 

'She's coming, Mistress.'

 

I summon a glass of red wine out of thin air and sip from it. Raising my hand, I command Kuragari to prepare.

 

'Show her true suffering.'

 

The maiden speeds past the hallway and dashes through the red carpet. At a normally incalculable speed, she launches herself at me with her blade. But as planned, Kuragari leaps and parries the attack with a shiny knife. Both the intruder and my nogitsune are blown back.

 

'Hah... Makai's Wild Card... and Empress Rhizanthella herself. My real mission begins here.'

 

Hmm. This woman is endowed with great talents. The capabilities of her soul eclipse most, if not all, youkai from my realm. Her abilities and own raw power can create and destroy entire realms. Her humbling looks truly are deceptive, but not in the eyes of The Mistress of Violet Dark.

 

'A goddess in human form. Give me a good reason to barge into my chamber without consequences.'

 

The intruder smiles. 'You surely are a beautiful sight, your face as pretty as my goddess of beauty. It would be lovely for me to keep your head forever, though I shan't be a-head of myself.'

 

What a joke. I need to rip that cute, comedic voice off her tight throat.

 

Kuragari eyes me. 'Mistress. I presume you want to deal with her yourself?'

 

I can feel my substance boiling. Tension growing. Power rising. Vision blurring. This is the state that triggers when I am faced with a mighty foe; a being, who can stand off the concept of evil itself. In this scenario, the latter is me; for I am becoming one with pure evilThis is my essence. THIS IS MY LIFE!

 

'Empress Rhizanthella, Mistress of Violet Dark. You have too much power. Your aura is filled with excessive evil. Your true self is lost, hidden below a maelstrom of wickedness. I humbly ask of you, Administrator of Makai, to submit to my Uchūchōwa — for you shall find peace.'

 

I slowly rise from my throne. Pitch blackness overrides my sight. The exquisite noises of the incomprehensible tingle my hearing. Amidst it all, an aura of dark violet radiates from my person. With the snap of my fingers, I summon my otherworldly blade. Wreathed with thorns, blood, and touches of the concepts of sin, this elegant blade — Akumagasaku — shall be her symbol of punishment.

 

'What say you, Rhizanthella?'

 

...

 

'Hmph. You're quite interesting, for a human. If my Makai isn't enough to make you fall for me...'

 

'I shall discipline you myself.'

 

 


 

The events between the maidens in Makai

Have been set in stone much long ago

But are yet to be transcribed on The Device

Where current happenings come and go

 

Empress Rhizanthella, The Mistress of Violet Dark

And Kuragari, Makai's Deceptive Wild Card

Shall appear once again, in another part

Of its encapsulation OP: Vanguard

 


 

Unh... Where... am I...

 

Birds... chirping... A calm breeze... flows past... Ah?!

 

...

 

I find myself laid down on my sleeping mat. The familiar scene of my own shrine greets me. The sun is brightly shining outside. My room is as messy as before.

 

This does not appear to be a ruse. Something from within tells this to be true. The unnerving screeches of troubled souls no longer plague my hearing. No, this is reality.

 

I let out a yawn and get on my two feet. My wounds are gone, organs restored. I approach my spiritual calendar-

 

'H-Huh?! I've been asleep for three days?!'

 

'Indeed, you have.'

 

That voice... I exit my room and notice the human Shoku-kami standing upright, still as a statue. Facing away from me, head pointed sternly straight, her mood is very different from before.

 

'Come closer, Rize.'

 

'...Yes, my Goddess.'

 

...

 

'Do you remember the events that had transpired in Makai?'

 

'Hmm, yeah... Wait, did those really happen?'

 

'Your dream was more than a simple figment of imagination. The perilous sojourn in Makai was simply an extension of reality, far beyond what mortals are sensitised to. The Goddess Kishin brought you there in an attempt to make you her successor. And she did so, for effectively one day.'

 

'Oh... S-So you mean... I really am a sadistic freak?!'

 

'You know it to be true.'

 

'...'

 

'But I cannot blame you, falling for the wretched goddess's trickery. Though I cannot argue about the importance of pure evil that must exist to fight pure goodness, I cannot stand a fellow who uses my valuable maiden without permission. Even if she is a close friend of mine... like Kishin...'

 

'Shoku-kami...'

 

My heart grows heavy... but not because of malice. My painful trek in Makai felt like a test of my own faith. And the tone my goddess had just spoken with... It's... worrisome?!

 

'I am glad to have you back, my shrine maiden-'

 

I quickly embrace her, slight drizzles of tears pouring from my eyes.

 

'...Shoku... kami... Arigato...'

 

'Hmm...'

 

...

 

'Arigato, Shoukuhana no Rize.'

 

 

0