Chapter 3: testing magic
4.1k 21 164
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
This chapter our protagonist finally gets to abuse their magic knowledge and knowledge of science. While the protagonist will mainly be on the run from the organization they will be forced to fight back in some situations. Pretty much all of the spells in this chapter will be used a lot from now on.

To determine a good route I'm going to need a map. The problem with that is in this era maps are difficult to get your hands on. Maps are only really held by nobles and generals of the army. The information a map holds is considered an incredibly important secret. Even if I go through the trouble of stealing one from my "father", it could be incredibly inaccurate. Map makers can get real lazy and simplify lakes and borders to make it easier to draw, or simply misremeber or misinterpret information . . . Wait, what am I thinking? I wrote half the damn wiki. I played the game I'm in over and over again. I can just use my knowledge of the game map to plan a route. I'll draw up a map from my memory later when I get pen and paper, so for know I should move on to testing out my magic capabilities.

My plan HINGES on magic. I'm weak physically without buffing magic as I'm only a little girl. I can't go toe to toe with a monster without magic, much less lug around supplies to make it by in the wilderness. Without magic, I'd have to make shelt out of sizeable sticks and cover it somehow, I'd have to bring a shovel to make a fire pit without smoke, and I'd need to either find or carry enough food to make it over half the god damn island.

Lets start of with earth magic. It'll be essential in order to make a shelter so I don't get curb stomped by a monster while I sleep. It also happens to be the magic that will be least likely to cause some damage to the room that'll be hard to explain. I'll start with a simple incantation.

[Summon 29]

And bam after a little bit of light I'm now holding a rod of copper. For now I use a spell to plant it upright in the ground for testing a later spell. I try a different kind of metal next.

[Summon 22]

This time I summon some titanium but willed it into the shape of a dagger. Mages in this world figured out the spell to summon iron but they interpreted the number to mean iron. Good thing because if they realized it was a number they would very quickly break the economy with the spell to summon gold. 

Back on track the dagger came out fine. Its sharp enough and I can lift it fine without body reinforcement. I also seem to have quite a bit of mana as the three spells I've used so far haven't been too taxing. The dagger is a bit heavier than expected though. A knife will be incredibly important for survival as it will allow me to cut sticks into size for fires, will allow me to defend myself somewhat without magic, and will allow me to process animals and monsters I've hunted. 

Next is the big test. Will I have enough mana to actually form a shelter? I put my hand to the stone floor of the bathroom and start chanting 

[Shape Earth]

A small hollow box of stone forms around me. It take significantly more mana than the other spells I've used so far but I still have around 60% of my mana left. I go to knock on the wall and it seems pretty sturdy. Nice this should be enough to protect me while I sleep.

Next I'll move on to fire. Nothing big of course as it'll be very awkward to be found out that I've not only been practicing magic in the bathroom, but also developed new spells that summoned new types of metal, thats strong and lighter than iron. I probably won't be needing to summon large fire balls anyway as there are obviously going to be less flashy and better ways to attack with magic. I chant a basic fire spell

[Start fire]

A small fire forms at my finger tip. It doesn't seem to be producing any smoke. I wonder why? Unlike my earth spells the fire is continously draining mana while its up. Its a very small amount thats being drained but the amount increases the farther the flame gets from me or the bigger I make it. Does it perhaps use my mana as a fuel source? I'll probably only use it as a fire starter then as mana is gonna be an important resource moving forward.

Water is simple enough. Using the spell doesn't dehydrate me or use too much mana, so it'll serve as a nice source of clean water on my trip. Saves me the hassle of having to filter and boil water and taste better than water purified through tablets.

With air magic I can nullify vibrations in the air after traveling a certain distance. This will likely be an important spell going forward as being able to have conversations with no one eavesdropping or shutting someone up will help ensure I'm not found out.

With the basics out of the way I can make use of that copper rod and start experimenting with some combat spells. I'll be making use of a spell called magnetism that allows your hand to become magnetic. Magnets are inherently tied to electricity because they're charged. Electricity makes a magnetic field and with a magnetic field you can make electricity to the best of my knowledge. This world doesn't have rubber yet so being able to shoot lightning will be positively devastating. Furthermore I could also potentially make myself into a railgun, you know for the real stubborn monsters that refuse to die. 

After fucking around with my magic a bit I managed to cloak my hand in electricity. With a flick of my wrist, a flash of lightning shoots out and hits the copper rod. Just as I was patting myself on the back I started to get a massive headache. After awhile it subsided and a new word in the magic language was stuck in my head. A word for . . .

[Lightning]

164