Chapter 14: capital confrontation
3k 21 143
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We had a few hiccups regarding mana reserves along the way but nonetheless, Mi'ara and I have have finally arrived in the capital with time to spare. We intend to rest here for a night then immediately leave afterwards at the left gate. From there we will head south towards the protagonist's village. After making sure her and her family are safe,  we'll head further south to free the dragon general. Hopefully we'll get said dragon to fly us to the N'esk territory. Last bit about flying on a fully fledged dragon will draw a lot of attention, but who's gonna pick a fight with a god damn dragon. I'd imagine most would faint after witnessing a single spell.

That aside, getting decent lodging was rather simple since the capital gets so many visitors. This visit should be quick and eas-

"It appears we're being followed. However our purser seems to be followed by another three," Mi'ara speaks up.

God damn it. Not even an hour in and the organization has already found us. Best bet for staying hidden would probably be to knock these people out before they report back. I doubt the organization sent these people with knowledge we would be here. Likely someone noticed the quality of our gear and decided to gather more info on who we are. I doubt they realize who I am yet due to the enchantments on my cloak and the changes to my appearance and demeanor. I'm a completely different from Bernadette after all. My gait will be completely unlike that of a noble's. 

The men stalking our stalker are likely back-ups meant to get any info to higher ups regardless of if something goes wrong. This is going to be annoying. Thankfully I already had the anti-eavesdropping spells up the minute I stepped through the right gate.

"Mi'ara pretend you're a guide once I drop the anti-eavesdropping magic. From there we'll pretend to split off. You deal with the three back-ups as stealthily as possible. I'll walk into an alley and confront the main one. He's lively more combat oriented if he's upfront after all."

"Understood," Mi'ara replies. 

How dependable.

----------------------------------------------

Cornelius PoV

While I was going about my business in the capital, I was floored. I saw someone I thought I'd never see again. The forest has been particularly dangerous lately so I don't know how they survived in it, but I found the young lady I serve Bernadette. Their hair has been cut short in a manner unbeifitting of a noble and their face was covered in dirt, but that was unmistakably them. If I can convince her to come back the organization could salvage their original plans. Doing so will redeem me in the eyes of the organization. However who's this snakefolk woman with them? They seem to be canceling out sound with magic so I can't hear their conversation. Is that woman a mage? Bernadette couldn't use air magic, so it'd have to be her. They look more like a warrior though...

And like that it seems they deactivated the spell. From their parting words it seems that snake woman was acting as a guide. SHIT! Bernadette is moving towards the slums. She won't find anything good there. I must pursue lest she is hurt or worse.

----------------------------------------------

Sam PoV

"Why don't you come out? I know you're following me."

"Ahh, so the little miss knew all along. That's no fun."

"Isn't she too perceptive for her age,  boss?"

"Gahaha she's certainly sharp if she can detect the third best at hiding in the theive's guild!"

After turning to confront my follower . . . or apparently followers, I found three common ruffians instead of the organization member I was expecting. The grunts are at least smart enough to tell that something is off though. They're somewhat intelligent actually. Usually people who attempt this is stories are brain dead. Its kinda refreshing really. I decide to talk to them a little bit instead of immediately starting a fight.

"Nah, you're not fat enough to pass for Billos. I may be a child but even the dullest street urchin knows of the mighty girth of the guild's third best."

The thugs are stunned for a second, but soon start to smile. Goon 1 speaks up first,

"The young miss is certainly right! Billos is one fuck pig."

Goon 2 follows

"Seems her senses aren't the only thing that's sharp."

Their boss on the other hand remains silent for a moment, giving me an appraising gaze. After a few seconds he speaks,

"Kalatatta vata la tempta?"

"Oto ya mata"

"..."

"..."

"..."

My response is followed by a cold silence. Their boss's face frowns. It lasts until...

"Bwahahaha! Hear that boss? She infiltrated your mother! Then again, who hasn't? Hahahahaha!"

"SEE? We told you your mom was a whore, even the little miss knows!"

"GOD DAMN IT! SHUT IT YOU TWO! FOR THE LAST TIME MY MOTHER ISN'T A HARLOT. SHE WAS A VERY CHAST WOMAN."

As goon 1 and 2 continue to giggle, the boss sighs and massages their temples.

"Haaaaaaaaa. While they may be a little shit, they certainly have a good grasp on theive's cant."

The boss gives the other two a look. The goons who have collected themselves and return the gaze. All three nod. The boss clears his throat and speaks,

"Lass, you have a lot of potential. You've demonstrated to us great not only great senses, but also some wit. The two great tools for theives like us. The theive's guild has been lacking in manpower recently, and you look like you can go far kid. In other words, want to join our gang?"

For a brief moment I see an alternative world. A world where I'm have not taken over Bernadette. One where the organization didn't exsist. In that world I would've said yes in a heartbeat. We would rob noble's mansions and escape in a stylish manner. We'd go out drinking after a successful heist and splurge, maybe woo some women or hit up a brothel while we're there. We'd slowly rise up the ranks of the underworld until we were on top of the world and we'd revel in every moment of it. However, this world is not like that grand and intoxicating illusion. I am controlling Bernadette and there is an organization after me. It pains me a little, but I know what I must say.

"I'm sorry, I would love to join but-"

A figure none of us noticed sneaked up behind boss and slashes his back.

"Bern! Are you unharmed?!"

OF FUCKING COURSE ITS CORNELIUS WHO DID IT. 

"BOSS!"

"y-yOU BASTARD! HOW DARE YOU ATTACK BOSS!"

Goon 1 rushes to Boss's side while goon 2 draws his sword to fight Cornelius. Looks like I'm gonna have to go into battle mode. My body strengthening is still working even when standing around the anti-magic armor. I wonder why that is? What I'm thinking will need some testing, but if it works out, maybe I won't need to show my dragon magic. 

However first Boss needs healing, and considering how deep the wound is, I'll need to use dragon magic to fully heal the wound. I can't just show that off in front of Cornelius though, so escaping should be our top priority. For now, even if it won't fully heal him, lets provide Boss with something to delay his death.

"Guy by boss catch!"

Goon 1 is surprised, but he has good enough reflexes to catch the bottle I toss him. 

"The name is Borris by the way. .  . Holy shit! Is this a high grade healing potion!?"

Borris is correct, it most certainly is the highest tier of potion in the game. I collected some of the resources to make it on the way here, but we only had enough to make one. We'd have to take a detour if we wanted more, but then we'd risk missing the opportunity to save the heroine's family.

"Other guy, don't rush in! Cornelius is really good with a sword! Its best if we run."

Goon 2 halts, then jumps back barely avoiding what would've been an attack that cleaved him in two. He back pedals back by me.

"Bern! Please get behind me! Stay away from the dangerous criminals!"

Goon 2 speaks up,

"You know this guy?"

"Yeah he's a giant pain in the ass. Don't brother trying most spells. Guy is coated head to toe in anti-magic metal."

"That armor is made of anti -magic metal?! Who the hell is backing this guy?"

"I can explain that later, but first we gotta get away and treat Boss."

"You got a plan that does that? I mostly left the thinking to Boss so I wouldn't suggest relying on me to come up with one."

"I do, but I'm not 100% sure I can pull it of yet. Can you buy some time?"

"If it's to save boss, I can."

"Bern we can talk this out. I don't know what made you want to run, but we can fix this! Your father misses you! I miss you... please come back."

[Hyper strength]

"Damn Girly, you have buff magic this strong too?"

"Just figured you'd need an extra little something becauseyou seem lacking in the 1v1 combat portion. "

"The boss is right, you are little shit. The buff is appreciated though."

Borris finishes applying the potion I made to Boss and supports him up, before retreating behind me. This leaves goon 2 in front, me in the middle, and borris and boss in the back.

Taking the initiative I fire off a fire spell,

[Flame Javelin]

I form a spear of fire and launch it at Cornelius. The flame quickly disapates upon getting close to the armor as expected. I believe this adds credence to my theory that fire magic burns fire as fuel.

"Come on Bern! We don't have to do this! Please, lets just go back home together."

"Oi Girly, why are you wasting mana like that?"

"Relax I'm just testing some stuff. Keep buying time."

"SHIT"

Goon 2 dodges the blade by a wide margin, but over shoots and hits the wall. He clearly needs more time to adjust to the heightened strength. 

[Shape Earth]

"Thanks Girly!"

I raise a wall of stone to block what would've been an impossible to dodge hit. Cornelius freezes before looking directly at me his face is stiff.

[Stone throw]

I immediately launch a stone at Cornelius with my magic as Goon 2 make distance. The rock initially travels quite fast but slows down rapidly as it approaches the armor, eventually plinking harmless off the armor when it hits. Yeah it seems like my plan will work wonderfully.

"I'm not Bernadette, Jackass [Summon 33]!"

I put on my mask that I should've put on when entering the capital and launch my magically produce powder right into Cornelius's face. He quickly clutches his face and falls to the ground groaning.

"Let's go you three we need to move!"

We promptly left the scene.

Announcement
when I first came up with the premise for "The Young Lady Has Run Away" this was one of the first scenes I imagined. Basically a confrontation with the villainess's personal guard. I was really excited to write this chapter as it probably was one of the ones I've thought most about. Due to this thinking I've made quite a few changes to make it make sense. It still has some contrivances, (like Sam forgetting to put the mask on) but I'm pretty happy with it. Initially the encounter was going to be lethal with the story's protag killing the knight by overpowering through the anti-magic aromor with really advanced fire magic, thus making the body unrecognizable as its burnt to a crisp and destroying the potentially story breaking armor. This would be followed by the protag passing out due to mana depletion, then picked up by guards. The protag would act like a little girl who was almost kidnapped but was saved by the divine intervention of wordless magic and plead self defense to be left off the hook. I find it interesting how much a story can change after banging out the details.

143