Chapter 34: Situation and lungaloid
1.3k 3 51
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
first round will be a lot tamer than the rest in terms of horror. Can't even call it horror really, but every horror story has the calm before the storm.

Also, I got a job so updates may become more infrequent. In light of this I decided to provide an answer to the question of how Sam died this chapter instead of at the end of the arc. While this decision may make my previous decision pointless,  I think it would be better to not make my readers have to wait like a month or two for answers. I might also extend this arc with a few more rounds and allowing some rounds to cover multiple chapters as I don't need to worry about pacing out a mystery.

When I could see properly again, I was in a library. The room was hexagonal with shelves full to the brim of books. However there was a doorway on every wall that lead to another room with exactly the same features. Furthermore there was a hole in the floor and ceiling. God, I can't even see the bottom floor or roof from here, like light can't reach the bottom or the top. What I can see though, is an endless amount of floors. Each floor has a layout much like the floor I'm on now from what I can see. Just how many books must this library contain?

Although besides my shadowy friend here, I seem to be alone. I should be able to think without something interrupting me. First off, where the hell am I? That fox thing seemed to have called me here if I had to guess, but why? They called themselves a death god, so maybe I died again?

I was able to quite readily recall my death when I woke up in Bernadette's body, so maybe I can do it again? Thinking through, the last thing I can remember is some conversation after killing the harpy owl. We were checking the body. Yeah I remember we found out that the bullets were ineffective because of how bunched up its organs were. We definitely hit it a lot and struck deep, but we missed pretty much everything vital. If we retreated the wounds probably would've gotten infected and the annoying bastard would've died on its own. After that we started carrying the processed harpy back. It was then that someone called out for me to look out. I then felt a sudden and incredibly intense pain in my side and my vision started getting blurry. Probably due to poison.

Lets see, considering the area, the poison, and the fact I didn't notice its presence, I could only really think of a single monster. The culprit was probably a lungaloid. A monster based off the stonefish, which happens to be found around the coast of Australia. Like its real life inspiration, its incredibly venomous and stealthy. You see, most venomous animals have bright colors. It acts like a warning to other animals to not mess with them. Esu's monsters also tend to follow this rule. Monsters that prouduce toxic substances tend to either be purple or bright green. The stonefish,  and by extension lungaloid, is different. Instead of showing it venomous self to the world, it wears an incredibly well made camouflage. Its almost indistinguishable from a rock, thus earning itself the name of stonefish.

Of course one might ask themselves, 'why the hell am I fighting a fish on a mountain?', but that's where the monster part comes in. The developers took inspiration from the stonefish's ability to breath out of water for around 24 hours, and made them permanently land animals. They also took some inspiration from frogfish with its ability to walk with its fins, albeit incredibly slowly. Lungaloids are obviously ambush predators. Usually they aren't to much of a problem for the snakes considering their heat vision, but to humans like me their incredibly dangerous. The bastard was incredibly lucky. It managed to strike after we let our guard down and were in a celabratory mood. 

Its strange though, considering Sky was there, I should've been able to be healed quite easily. Lungaloid venom is curable by normal light magic as long as its dealt with within an hour. Sure its incredibly painful, but if you can get help quickly you should be fine... Also, why did I pass out that quickly? Sure it hurt like hell, but I'm not THAT much of a little bitch. I should've at least kept consciousness long enough to see people rush over to me. 

I'm probably still alive, or at least my body is alive. Looking more closely at my arms, they are slightly translucent. It kinda screams I'm a ghost. Moving my hands, I can make them form all sorts of non-human shapes. I can even seperate and reattach pieces of me as well as phase through walls slightly. I seem to get some push back when I try and completely enter a bookshelf.

 Ghost body aside, this means there's still hope to returning back to Mi'ara and the others. Next time I encounter Karakata I'll have to confront them about this. Something about them is incredibly fishy. When I saw them last they felt wrong, like they weren't supposed to be there but are. That thought kinda relaxes me though. I think I might prefer dealing with Karakata for some reason, but what would be the alternative that I seem to instinctively dislike?

Then my thought process was interrupted by,

"How are you feeling?"

Announcement
  stonefish: https://youtu.be/vt3VUlm318M

51