Chapter 29: Massive Skill Enhancements and Jack Comes to Bargain!
349 6 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Jack stared at Alicia for a second.

“That was a joke,” he said, taking the bowl from Diana. “You gonna eat or am I going to have to feed you?”

“I don't feel comfor-mmh-”

Jack pushed a spoonful of curry into her mouth.

“Got it,” he said. “No to marriage but you want to be fed.” Jack said.

The girl snatched the spoon out of the boy's hand with a harsh look that quickly softened as she tasted the curry. She quickly polished off the bowl.

“Seconds?” Diana asked. “The best thing about forced marches is being able to eat as much as you want.”

Diana took Alicia's bowl and refilled it.

“Thanks,” Alicia said.

 

The girl rapidly regained her strength from the hearty food and the support of Jack's aura. As soon as she finished, her gaze went towards Syraviel and Lisaseron. Alicia's aura built up, her whole body tense.

Alicia set her bowl aside and stiffly scooted off Jack's lap.

“No need to move,” Lisaseron said. “You're fine where you are. There are a few things we need to do before we leave.”

Syraviel nodded at Lisaseron.

“You've worked hard, Alicia” Syraviel said. “Even though you weren't able to make a true shift in your Innate, sometimes the battle itself is the real reward. You as well, Jack. Soul-bonded have a difficult path, and with a partner like Alicia, it won't be any easier. For now, enjoy reaping the fruits of your labor”

Alicia's eyes focused on the massive blue pane that appeared in front of her.

Detecting Soulwork Status completed. Path flux stabilized. Skill Enhancement backlog activating.

Blade Mastery Lvl 9 → Blade Mastery Lvl 13

Pain Resistance Lvl 10 → Pain Resistance Lvl 23

Soul Cohesion Lvl 9 → Soul Cohesion Lvl 24

Unyielding Soul Lvl 5 → Unyielding Soul Lvl 12

Soul Perception Lvl 9 → Soul Perception Lvl 35

Soul Bond Mastery Lvl 5→ Soul Bond Mastery Lvl 22

Detecting Deep Soul Line established with Jack Cassidy. Facilitating soul harmonics. Warning! Soul bond has not yet reached the Soul Sheathed level. Adjusting. Innate flux negated. Affinity transfer negated. Skill flux negated. Soul skill sharing adjusted to half strength.

Soul Skill Transferred(Half Strength) from Jack Cassidy! Braced Soul Lvl 3!

Battle has come to the core of your very being. Brace yourself.

Slightly increased Soul defense versus external attacks.

 

Alicia's vision swam, as waves of strength, solidarity and clarity washed over her soul. She felt Jack grab her tighter as intense pain wracked the boy.

“Holy shit,” Jack said. “Not bad. Still definitely not worth being soul-bonded to you, but not bad.”

“I don't want to hear it,” Alicia said. “All I got from you was this garbage Braced Soul.”

While Jack and Alicia bantered, shadows rushed passed them, materializing over each member of the party as a dark cloak. Syraviel took out five small rucksacks from her storage dimension and a smattering of light armor, shields and weapons. Syraviel looked over the weaponry and armor before making most of them disappear.

The Goddess passed a shield and a gauntlet to Jack, a sword to Alicia and a staff to Diana. The two stopped for a moment, looking at their new equipment.

“If things get dicey, you'll be outmatched in most scenarios.” Syraviel said. “But I think you’ll feel better with a weapon in your hand than without one.”

Jack raised the shield quizzically.

“Weapon?” he asked.

 

"The only arms you're well practiced with are the one attached to your shoulders. Your skills with a dagger are... serviceable at best. Unfortunately, short blades aren't fated for you.” Syraviel said. “You may have had several successful fights with a dagger, but you haven't managed to properly integrate it them your fighting style.”

“Just how much of my life did you-”

“Everything, Jack,” Syraviel said. “We saw everything. Which is why I’m recommending you try out shields and gauntlets. You’ll see. They’ll fit you well.”

"Wait wait wait, you just said you saw my entire-"
“Another time, Jack,” Syraviel said. “We can discuss the ethics of privacy and your other grievances later.”

Jack towered over the smaller Goddess as he tried to stare her down but the pressure from her aura soaked his back in sweat.

“Jack,” Syraviel said. “I don’t want to punish you for insubordination, so don’t force my hand.”

Syraviel looked expectantly at the boy while he let out a sigh. Jack slipped his left arm into the shield's strap and donned the gauntlet in the other. He threw a couple punches, feeling out how the flexible and smooth metal on his hand impacted his strikes.

“Better than nothing,” he said.

He looked towards both the Goddesses

“I'll say it now," Jack grumbled. "If your ‘later’ for discussions means never, I won't play nice.”

“We’re all on the same team now,” Syraviel said. “We’ll tell you how it is. You too, Alicia.”

Tension built in the air, as the soul-bonded pair stared back at the Goddesses. Lisaseron cleared her throat.

“Wonderful. Shall we decamp, Shadow?” Lisaseron asked.

“Of course,” Syraviel said.

Lisaseron reached out with single finger and brushed the dome with a single downward stroke. A ripple spread through the dome, the starry surface fading back to normal cloth. The dome zipped apart down the middle causing two pieces of cloth to flutter down to the Goddesses and reattach to their skimpy clothing.

 

Maybe they're not really Goddesses but Magical Girls.” Alicia thought.

Focus. I know it was rough in your soul, but don't think we had it easy. It’s been nothing but stealth and danger here. We can't talk out aloud, bleed or let out our aura or else something might track us. Also, as far as I can tell, Syraviel's shadow magic is the only magic the Goddesses can use. This place isn't your average Sunday brunch joint.” Jack thought.

 

Alicia nodded, noting the unpleasant aura of the Crucifix Pines brush against her. She extended her senses, feeling the odd pressure of the mirror river next to them and an uncomfortable weight looming beyond the horizon.

At the very least, I don’t think they were lying about being surrounded.” Alicia thought.

"Hey." He thought.

Alicia ignored him, trying to sense farther. She felt Jack grab her arm and pull her. Alicia resisted him slightly.

Stop skylarking. We're moving.” Jack thought.

Alicia felt around her and confirmed what the boy said and started walking alongside the boy and put her hand on the back of his shoulder. The boy infused his aura into her and she let out a contented hum. As they walked, the boy noticed her gaze was unusually fixed on him.

What? Did I spill something on my face?” He thought.

She shook her head.

You carried me all this way?

Most of it, at least until I passed out here in the forest.”

Thanks.” She thought.

Don't mention it.”

Alicia smirked.

You know, Jack, as far as people go, you're pretty awful. But even though you're a brute and a pervert, sometimes you're not that bad.” Alicia thought.

You're really overwhelming me with this gratitude. You sure know how to put the pep in a guy's step.” Jack thought.

Alicia snorted.

“What I'm trying to say is that I'll hear out what you want to... propose to me.” Alicia thought.

I told you I'll tell you later.”

You can tell me now, or I'll reject everything you ask for without listening. I bet you were... no, I know you were planning to try and put me in the mood and make me agree to whatever you wanted. Sorry, that's not happening. If I'm wet enough to water the grass, I'm not making any decisions.”

Jack shrugged.

It's not my fault if that’s the effect I have on you.” Jack thought.

I’m serious, Jack. I can tell you're stalling. Out with it.”

Fucking soul bond... Alright look, you heard Lisaseron say the same thing as me. We're going to be together for a damn long time. Maybe she’s off with the numbers a little bit but the point stands. If we keep arguing and fighting at the rate we're going at, we're both going to end up killing each other or the bond will break our brains until we’re both drooling wrecks. We've got to change something before we reach that point.”

That’s… reasonable. But you don't really think we can get along, do you?” Alicia thought.

I didn't say it was possible. I'm saying we have to try. The soul bond is at its worst when we’re at each others throats. If we make an attempt to be nicer, it should be easier on us. ” Jack thought.

Alicia sneered at the boy, as she felt his increasing lust.

This just sounds like a lead-in for having sex with me.”

I’m horny, sue me. Sue yourself while you’re at it too, because you’re guilty of the same crime. You said you were going to listen. Was that a lie?” Jack thought.

Fine, I'm listening. How are we going to try to get along?” Alicia asked.

I'm not saying we actually have to get along. What if we just pretended to like each other? I've been experimenting with it a little bit and and I feel like I'm getting a lot less flak from the bond.”  He thought.

That’s…”

Or we could just keep doing what we've been doing. We'll argue and get turned on. It goes like that until we can't take it and then we go into a heavy petting frenzy. Rinse and repeat. Is that the idea you prefer?”

Fine, we'll try it out. Don't pitch me anything else. We're just doing this.”

You sure? What if my other idea doesn't involve you losing your chastity?”

Alicia narrowed her eyes at the boy.

It's something naughty though. I can tell.” She thought.

Yes, but I'm a man of my word. Which is why I want to fuck you in the ass.

Alicia stiffened, nearly stopping in place but continued moving so she could enjoy Jack's aura.

Don't look at me like that. If anything, you're the deviant here. I've seen the toys and the... I don't even know what to call them. Look, you obviously like it in the butt.” he thought.

I... no. It's a no, Jack.”

Jack scratched his head.

Alicia... We both want to bang each others brains out. This is the best solution. You keep your 'purity' intact and I get some peace and quiet so I can keep my sanity intact. I know you want it, what's with all the anxiety?”

It's not just the bond I'm worried about! I don't want you Charming me again and acting all...”

Alicia blushed as his words and thoughts came to her mind. She slapped Jack's arm lightly.

You're really shameless, you know?”

Rather than annoyance, Jack fought the urge to push Alicia down.

So it's fine if I don't do anything when you're Charmed?” he thought.

It's not... fine.”

Jack felt an intense conflict stirring within the girl.

Would you promise not to do anything to me?” she thought.

You still remember what happens when you're charmed, right? You'll know what I do even if I don't promise. But yes, I promise.”

Let's... just stick to the pretending part.” Alicia said.

She looked away from the boy, taking her hand off of his shoulder and holding it out to him.

Well? Pretend away.” She thought.

Jack took the girl’s hand in his and continued walking side-by-side with her. Diana gave the pair a thumbs up. Alicia withered a little while Jack sucked on his cheek, trying not to wince.

Syraviel noticed the two of them and nudged Lisaseron and made her look at Jack and Alicia. Suddenly, Jack felt like this trek was going to be far longer than expected.

Bit late, I took a lazy weekend but I am back. I said there was going to be action last time and I guess that ended up being a lie. I felt like this was a good place for some payoff and a minor decompression from all the tension. Also, I wanted to explore the emerging dynamics between Jack and Alicia while her awakening was still fresh. I feel like if I put it off, I'd be failing to strike while the iron is hot. Alicia's insufferability factor has been mounting for awhile, as is common with the more toxic variety of tsundere. This is fine(It's Hateful Souls not Harmonious Souls after all) but I didn't want to build it too much further and risk losing depth with Alicia and especially the chance to have them tread that treacherous line of hate, passion and youth.

As for next chapter- The hunt is on!

 

6