Chapter 29: Wrong Address
51 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nishiki and Tenha were just hanging out on a normal weekend. There wasn’t anything special set for either of them, as was tradition at this point. So what better to do than crack out the old Gamestation 3 and enjoy some fun.

“You know, I’ve got this question that’s been bugging me for a while now.” He said as they were in the midst of some fighting game called ‘Road Combatant”. “You fox spirits aren’t supposed to interact with us humans.” And from the looks of it, they also did their best to not appear strangely by hiding their tails and fluffy ears. “Is it that big of a deal to stay a secret from the human world?”

“Well, not that big of a deal.” She answered. “We can have those contracts with you people. So clearly it’s not like we have zero interaction with you.” Her saying that made him wonder if there were other people like him. Was that manga more true to life than anyone expected?

Tenha also wasn’t worried he’d tell anyone about who she really was. After all, who would believe him unless they saw with their own eyes her tail and ears. “Besides, what’s the worse that could happen if people knew who I really was?”

“I would prefer to avoid all that publicity.” He responded. Nishiki wasn’t one for public appearances. Not that he was shy, but most people don’t want to become celebrities over night. Not to mention that it wouldn’t even be him being the one who got famous. And there was no way that man would want to deal with a bunch of people knocking on his door just so they could see her.

Speaking of the door being knocked on, that was exactly what occurred as their conversation and gameplay continued. Neither of them thought anything special with it. They both believed it to be Kinuko as he went up to answer the door. However, it wasn’t that fox lady at all.

“Fusa?” He couldn’t believe it was his younger coworker standing in front of his house right now. “What are you doing here?”

“Well I’m here for the get together, of course.” She answered with some worry and concern. “Someone gave me this address and said we were going to meet here.” Apparently there were plans with her and some of their other coworkers to get together and do some things for fun. “I didn’t realize you lived here.”

“I didn’t realize there was supposed to be a get together at my place.” He responded. It was at this point they both knew the address she had been given was incorrect. Clearly just a simple mistake, but an unfortunate one as well.

“Oh dear, I’m sorry for bothering you.” She bowed her head in shame from this blunder. It certainly explained to him why she was dressed so nicely outside of the office. This was a side to the girl he had never seen before. “Hmm?” When she brought her head back up to look into his house. The girl noticed a person sitting on the couch. It wasn’t anyone she would expect to be at his house. Mostly because she didn’t know of any person who was known to visit him at all. “Who are you?”

“Oh, I’m Tenha.” The little fox girl introduced herself, getting up from her seat. She didn’t realize that it would be a human when he first opened the door. So the girl nearly forgot to make her tail and ears invisible. “I’m a friend of Nishiki’s.”

“Yeah, she’s just my friend.” He began to sweat bullets as the other girl now met her for the first time. Their conversation before made him hyper aware that perhaps they should try to keep her being a fox spirit a secret.

“I see… If you’re a friend to Nishiki, then you can just call me Fusa.” There was something in Fusa’s demeanor that showed she might not have entirely believed them. “Um, is it okay if I come in and try to get things sorted out with my friends? You know it’s kind of hot… I mean cold outside.”

“Sure.” He could’ve easily kept her from entering. It wasn’t as if she needed to be inside to call them on her phone. Not only that, but the way she acted was entirely giving away that she wanted to stick around to see what these two were up to. To call her a bad actress would be a compliment for how poorly she attempted to gain access into his house.

So then the real question would be why did he accept? It was simple to him. If he rejected her offer, then it would only serve to make him appear more suspicious to her. All they needed to do was act normal so she would realize there was nothing strange going on with him and Tenha. The last thing he needed was people thinking he dated this girl. This appeared to be the best and easiest way to clear up any misunderstandings.

“You sure about this?” Tenha whispered to him as the girl walked inside. He didn’t say anything, just motioned in a manner as if to say, ‘I got this’, to her. Fusa walked into his living room to see the pair were playing video games.

“I didn’t realize you were into this kind of hobby she commented, faking being on her phone as if trying to message whoever it was who sent her the wrong address. “It’s kind of cool.”

“Yeah, the two of us play it fairly often these days.” He tried his best to act natural now that there was the presence of another woman here. It wasn’t as if he took issue with having guest, but she wasn’t a person he’d call a close friend by any stretch of the imagination. More so that she was an acquaintance from work.

“It’s pretty fun.” Said Tenha as they resumed their match. The pair had nowhere near as much enthusiasm as before now that Fusa was in the picture. It filled them more with unease than anything else. “I’m surprised I’ve never met you before.” The fox girl made casual conversation to try and keep a natural flow.

“Me too.” She replied. “Um, do you come by often?” The pair both got anxious with that question.

“She actually lives here.” He answered, not willing to look at the girl as he did so. “It’s supposed to be temporary. Just until she can find another place to live.”

“Yeah, that’s right.” Tenha back him up so they could keep their story and lie straight. “It’s no big deal, I’m just here until I don’t have to be anymore.” It wasn’t a complete lie, but obviously they kept out the most important bit to their story.

“Recently living here?” That reminded Fusa of something he had said to her at work the other day. “Uh, does that mean you’re the girl Nishiki gave a gift for Valentine’s to?” If he was drinking something, the man would’ve spat it out in response to that question.

“I told you that in confidence.” He said in embarrassment.

“I’m more surprised you told someone about that.” Tenha had a different reaction more targeted towards him than anything else.

“Ah, sorry I’m not trying to be nosy.” Said Fusa, even though she was entirely being nosy about his personal life. “It’s not a problem if there’s someone in your life.”

“We’re not dating.” She replied. “Ha, as if I’d ever consider dating that bozo.” It was a completely silly idea to her. Even after everything that had been through, there was no way the fox spirit would ever consider him a romantic partner. “Not trying to make fun of him, just stating facts.”

“Yeah…” He did feel a bit hurt about it. Did she really have to go so far to insult him as her motive for not dating him? Nishiki considered himself a good enough man for most women. “Anyway, I’m going to use the bathroom.” He got up and excused himself. This wasn’t to actually go to the toilet. He simply wanted this part of the conversation off so she would be forced to change subjects.

With him gone, he figured they’d switch to something more suitable for something between only two people.

“Don’t take too long.” Tenha wasn’t looking forward to being alone with this stranger, even if only for a couple minutes. There was no telling how a female coworker of his would think of someone like her. Even if she could sense there was no violent intention coming from that young woman.

1