Chapter 30 – Under the cover of Darkness.
770 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Under the bright light of the full moon

Eldritch's evening turned from joyous celebration to utter terror.

The man she made love with is unconscious in her arms, his hair turned from black to ash white his closed eyes swelling with tears,  she wanted to help him right away but the perpetrator is standing right in front of her.

"What have you done?" Eldritch demanded.

Lilina didn't change her expression, her stare as cold as ever.

The howls of the night wind only made matters worse, Eldritch felt a wave of uneasiness in her stomach...  The strongest hero in Njilven, what is her business with a commander from the edge of the country. 

"He's the one who I was looking." She says in her soft cold tone.

"What do you mean?"

"He's my brother Verron Fasnild, and I'm taking him back with me."

Veron's face suddenly churned. "Veron?" Eldritch wondered.

Lilina steps forward to her aching brother.

"Not a step forward!" Eldritch says brandishing her rapier.

"I didn't want to cause trouble..." Lilina then summons her weapon, Elitheus the Heroic Sword of Chivalry.

"Weren't you tasked of protecting the people and now you're aiming your sword against me?" Eldritch reasons.

"He's more important to me than any life I need protecting." Lilina then holds her stomach.

"He's going to be a father soon."

"Are you!?" Eldritch exclaims.

"No... not yet, unless you give him to me."

"You're out of your damn mind!"

Eldritch lowers me down on the ground.

The two sword masters, Lilina in her dress and Eldritch in her knightly attire, wielding their respective weapons. And the fight commenced

The Defense General wastes no time and closes in, swinging her Chivalrous sword at incredible speed, Eldritch braces herself and opts to block it.

In a strong swing CLASH!

Sparks fly as two rods of sharpened metal struck one another.

Lilina looks closely at her opponent, and pushes themselves away from one another.

"Tch. You're more formidable than I thought." Lilina scowls.

"I'm flattered." 

But then...

"Yah two seems to be havin a lot of fun!

Both of faces turned to the voice coming from the shadows.

"Care if I... Join?"

A Orange haired woman stepped into the light wearing a black cloak and wielding...

"Two short swords?"

Then like a burst of lightning, this unknown adversary takes on Lilina head on without warning.

Boom!  The smell of sparking burnt metal wafted through the air.  Lilina was pushed back an inch.

"Who.. are you?" Lilina asks the adversary she's surprisingly crossing swords with.

"Ohhh, I'll be the person who'll put yer stupid queen's head on a pike."

"I see... Then die!" Lilina launches her opponent forward.

"Feisty one arn't yah! This is gonna be fun!" The orange haired assassin comments.

"What the?" Eldritch looked bewildered as Lilina faces off another strong contender.

Not wasting time she picks up Veron by the arm and leaves the balcony returning to the ballroom.

"Come on Veron, the crazy defense general is after your ass, wake up!" then a blood curdling shrieekk raised through the sounds of chatter, music and laughter.

SHRIEEKKK!!!

Surprised, all faces turned to the cause of the noise. 

And there they saw a man in a black cloak has stabbed a noble in the stomach.

Then suddenly a round man in a black cloak went through the crowd of clueless nobles.

"We the lords of the Elkian region declare our independence from the Kingdom of Njilven." The Round cloaked man announced.

Then suddenly the lights went out and Chaos erupted.

The Ballroom was under attack, blood was spilled and joyous festivities turned to unimaginable slaughter.

 The people panicked, others went to the doors, others hide under the tables while men in black cloaks attacks the naive noble man or woman and glee in the gurgles of blood curdling death of their corrupt adversaries.

"Where's the Aria!? Where's the Queen!?" Eldritch hides Veron under the Buffet table.

Eldritch's Nobless was no doubt in danger, but brandishing herself a weapon she defends herself from any surmounting attacker stupid to point their weapon against the battle hardened Iron nobless of the border.

"Miss Aria!" 

"Oh..Eldritch, didn't see you there." But just as she utter those words her Vice-commander immediately grabs her by the hand and tries to pull her away. "We need to escape now!"

"There's no need."

"What do you mean!? The room is in utter Chaos! your very life is in danger!"

SILENCE!

As those words were spoken the lights turned back on, and on the very top of the stairs, The Queen of Wisdom, Lucrelia steps down as all the roaring came into a deafening halt.

Down the red carpeted steps if the stairs, her heels has touched the marble ground of the ball room.

The once bewildered assassins turned their attention from the nobles and immediately to the highest valued target of the room.

The Queen.

She was only a hand's reach away.

But she immediately burns them down in amazing white flame.

The Queen walks the aisle, like a bride coming for her groom, but the mere display of her power shut, escaped any thought from our minds as we see in awe the absolute power of the latest descendant of the true Queen of wisdom.

"Where is Garfel? The Lord of Elkia."

The round man wearing the black cloak must be Garfel.

but instead of announcing his presence he whisks through the clueless nobles and brandishes his sword.

"I am Garfel, and I am here to take your head you corrupt whore!" The Elkian lord charges towards his target

And the Queen waves her hand once again

But.

her powers did not affect him, no white flame bursts from his body but rather he is unscathed and his path for vengeance still on it's way.

And like a galloping knight charging for the kill he closes his distance from the Queen, then suddenly the sounds of cutting flesh and smell of fresh blood envelopes the room.

The nobles holds their breath, others gasp while others more turned away.

In a loud crash, the balcony windows break, 

Garfels head rolls on the floor and  a fountain of blood spurts from his headless neck.

The Queen could only stare at horror.

Lilina didn't make it in time to kill Garfel the traitor, The Elkian Lord was able to reach his goal and successfully thrusts his sword, but the Queen was unharmed.

Impaled through the abdomen was none other than the High commander of the Olken Region.

"Veron!"

The young commander fell to the ground, as his blood was turning in to a pool on the marble ground.

I as Verron Fasnild awoken myself from the truth.

But as Veron Oulit, I close my eyes again to tell the world a lie.

I saved the Queen.

...But not really.

.

.

.

Morning came into Njilven.

The Ball of traitors have come to an end.

An unexpected event of the evening caused utter chaos within the ranks of the Njilven nobility yet the true purpose of the gathering, the communal meeting continues on.

... I woke up on a bed in the castle's clinic of some sort, the bright light of the room blinded me for a bit, so I squinted my eyes to look around for a bit. 

"Sir Veron?"

It was one of the boys that I controlled during the mock battle with Eldritch back in Olken.

He has gained considerable amount of fame as a bonus to virtually winning and leading his brothers in arms in battle making him a lieutenant in his own right, but now he is tasked of watching over his injured superior who has quickly the people's vote for saving the Queen in a drastic way.

"What happened last night? Was anyone captured?"

"Apparently yes, the rebels conspiring with the Lord of Elkia were also captured and are now currently being held prisoner under the castle dungeons."

'"Any information about them?" I asked.

"Well seems to me, that one of them is actually a leader and a mercenary hired by the dead Lord Garfel, she's quite the hot dame they same, pity we can't touch them, cause Queen's decree but I heard she's uses very explosive lightning magic and that she has quite the weird accent."

"Sounds like an interesting lass, would you mind if I go see her?"

"I would let you if I could but under Miss Aria's orders you shouldn't move around too much, you did lose a lot of blood last night..." The lieutenant said giving his reasons to decline my request.

"Well seems I can't help it... I'm sorry..."

 "Sorry for what sir?" The young lieutenant confused.

"Lieutenant, Freeze and do not move for the hour. "

The Lieutenant froze up like a human sculpture, unable to move an inch.

A purple mark glowed from his right hand and quickly dissipates.

Having hypnotized my companion, I carefully moved from the bed.

"Ouch." A sharp pain seared through my stomach "Seems like I wasn't healed completely." but still I made my way towards the dungeons below the Castle.


-At the dungeon -

Stairs leading down underground and only one warden was tasked of protecting this place.

Many of the guards has been garrisoned to the Queen since the incident and they drastically axed the security of other areas, one of which includes the dungeon.

The warden was clearly zoning in and out of consciousness.

So I helped him with his drowsiness and softly strangled him from behind.

...

At the last cell of the dungeon hidden from rows upon rows of prison cells, The orange haired leader of the rebel mercenaries is aimlessly waiting for complete and utter doom, whistling away her fear of death and thinking about her last words.

"I was thinking of someone to be more intimidating, but you to be young for your position." 

"Look who's talkin, ya dumb ass." She says looking at me

"You're quite lively for a person who's going to be executed." I told her holding the bars. 

"Well if it makes yew ass wipes less satisfied, I'd happily oblige to smile in deaths ugly face." Pointing at me as she says her point.

"Well since you're going to die and all, care to give me your name."

"And why should I give yah ma name, are yah sum creep who get's turned on by hearing the name of dead women?"

No not at all, it just that, your attitude reminds me of a certain old friend of mine.

"Eww you're comparin me to some grimy old bastard, ah weird..."

"Well since you're not giving your name, would you mind if I share mine?"

"Hmph, As if I'd bloody care about yer name." She lies down and turns her back towards me.

"Well sorry if we started on the wrong foot, I'm Veron Oulit by the way..."

...

"Ha...Haha...Hahaha...HeHaHahaHAAAA!!!"

"What's so funny?"

"You're telling me you're an Oulit?"

"Yeah, why"(Lie)

"Well, cause here's the thing..." She sits up right and turns back to me.

"I'm an Oulit too..." 


-Outside the castle- Aria Freud's POV

The meeting room consisted of 4 rows of table making a square, the seats are taken by Nobles and also the 4 heroines of the Country of Njilven. Aria was sitting with her Vice-commander Eldritch who took the seat in place of Veron, and opposite to her was the self-proclaimed lover of her Commander. The Chivalrous Heroine Lilina Borough.

The Queen discusses her plans to invade once again Sien, the land of the demons.

"The current King of that domain hasn't been doing their part on keeping their demonic beasts at bay as more and more frequent attacks are ravishing our settlements across the border, the peace and tranquility our land has experienced for the past 300 years have now broken and it is now our duty as a nation to protect our people from further harm."

"How can we talk about war when our own country is in political turmoil?" The Iron Nobless reacts.

With those words alone, the whole ambiance of the room turned sour as nobles also agree with her.

But the Queen remained unfazed.

"The Sect of the Church of the Crimson order will be responsible in subjugating these heretics." The Heroine of Chastity spoke up.

"As the figure of divinity and purity, I will guide back these lost souls back to the arms of the crimson Goddess." 

Then the Queen spoke up joining her.

"And according to the wisdom the Goddess has given me, the best course of action is prevent the demons from potentially invading our lands."

Using their Goddess as an Excuse for killing and invading, what a convenient Goddess she is.

"Since our country faced no wars since the last 300 years I humbly request that you intensify the training of your fellow soldiers."

"But hasn't the land of the demons done the same? They also haven't gone to war for the past 300 years. Why are we training our men as if we're- "

"These demons fair much stronger than us, physically and magically they are superior and we can't waste human life" one of the nobless girls reacted.

"So we're basically telling the demons, hey we're training up to kill you guys." I retorted.

"Miss Aria Freud, if you have nothing better to say to this meeting, I request you to be silent!"

I turned my chin for a bit, but I couldn't rebel. She is the Queen after all. but deep in my mind I hate the fact that my city will be once again used as a bulwark against any incoming invasion, just as we are recovering from a huge surge of demonic beasts attacking the city.

Now since we've settled down let's continue

BOOM!

A large explosion shook the entire castle.

"What was that?"

the Queen fell from her feet, the nobles grabbed onto their chairs and tables, the stone interior was shaking.

Slam! the door opens and a soldier came in to report! 

"The Assassins has escaped!"

Eldritch realizes that the man who came is the Lieutenant, the man responsible for watching over Veron.

"Where's the high commander?" Eldritch Asks.

The lieutenant choked up.

"The Clinic was covered in smoke, after it cleared, High Commander Veron was gone as well."

Lilina stood up, her face filled with grim horror, as if a fear of losing a loved one painted her face. The room turned their attention to her and she runs away.

Eldritch followed suit and left the meeting room.

"Wait Eldi! where are you... going..."

The Queen confused clenches her heart.

Because on that day, Veron Oulit The high commander of Olken disappeared... and was never seen again.

4