Chapter 2 – Getting handsy for a job
2.8k 3 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A few days passed and I carefully put into realization on what situation I'm currently in, since the day I woke up from the forest, I came across this frontier town called Olken...

I must have been transported into some kind of different reality, Weird beings like people with cat ears, Elves and Dwarves exist, there are even these big lizard monsters pulling carriages brought straight from a fantasy book, weirdly enough when I hear these people talking I could very much understand them word for word, yet aside from the people and the language, I virtually know nothing of this world.

As of now, I was able to pickpocket some money from unsuspecting travelers, luckily I still have it on me, I could continue living like this but pick-pocketing money is illegal and getting caught is bad news for me even if I'm a pro, you never know what happens in the future...

Using the money that I stole, I bought a simple apron from a store right around the corner and proceeded to look for a place to work...

When suddenly it hit me, at the corner of my eyes I saw my chance.

A tavern! and they have a hiring sign up too!

jackpot, if this was a heist, this would be a killing.

Taverns are a good source of information, and since I know nothing about this world, that is a good place to start, besides I might even meet some very interesting characters there.

I looked up and saw a wooden sign swinging from the light winds blowing.

"The Crescent Luna Tavern" aside from the beautiful design of the sign, the name has quite the ring to it... I muttered to myself while pushing the wooden door going inside.

"Taverns not open, and you're not welcome!" Scruffy looking old man with a receding bald-spot said in a grumpy voice.
I raised my hands apologetically, "Sorry sorry, I know it's not really a good time but I noticed that you were hiring?"

"Hiring??" He looked confused while drying a mug with a white cloth, "What kind of runt would like to work in this shabby Tavern?"

"Well I do," I said in a very charismatic way.

"Huh, well if you're that adamant about it, go take the trash and throw it outside the town." said at his still old grumpy voice.

"With pleasure!" though I said pleasure, this is absolutely revolting, yet I have to kiss butt to this old man, cause he might be a valuable source of information.

"May I ask where it is?" I said in my same dumb charismatic manner

"Heh, this golden boy is really serious huh." he muttered to himself, "The Trash is at the back if you can throw it all in one piece I would think about hiring you," he said sarcastically.

I proceeded to go outside towards the back, though in the back of my mind I wondered, what is wrong with throwing the trash, it might be disgusting but a shabby old tavern wouldn't have something horrible... Could it?

Arriving at the back, thinking back, this was literally worse than I thought.

It was a carcass of a large beast meat cleaned off from its bones yet the stench of its rot was still present.

So this is why the old man was wondering if I could throw the trash...

He really set me up, that bastard...

A few hours passed and the wooden tavern doors opened once again.

the old man still wiping his mugs peeks at the door, only for his jaw to drop from awe.

Well, the reason might be that his errand boy was spic and span, with no foul stench whatsoever.

The old man looked surprised but he tried his best not to show it. (stubborn old man.)

"Well I did what you ask I threw all the beast carcass outside the Town, now will you hire me?" I said with a brimming smile on the face.
with that said, he went to the back for a bit, and to his surprised the trash was gone in a flash.

"Well first of all, tell me how you did it?" he looked at me suspiciously.

"What I did was fairly simple, knowing that this is a frontier town and such, there must be people who would be willing to take some of the trash carcass for any use... So I grabbed a piece of bone and parade it to the street, many onlookers were interested cause trash if used right could become very useful, May it be fertilizer, food for their domestic beasts or components for some weird recipe."

Judging from the Tavern owner's cold and harsh personality, he might have not even considered giving it away.

"So that was what the noisy commotion earlier about. well label me impressed" he said with a wry smile.

Yes, now I can get chummy with this old fool.

"Thanks for the praise though, but I was wondering if I get the job?" cause it doesn't hurt to be completely sure.

"Of course, I'm thrilled to have you here boy! hehehe" this old man is sweet in his own isn't he, but he didn't stop there though and started to asking me questions "by the way if it isn't too much to ask, why are you so desperate to find work in this crime-ridden streets of Olken?"

"Well I'm from a very far country, currently getting lost in the middle so I was thinking of about settling down for a bit you know, getting to know the people and places and such." answering this question is like this, makes it feel like its some kind of corporate interview

The old man took on a proud smile, that smile that tells you that despite everything he loves this place.

"Well since you're new to this place, let me tell you what this country is all about. "
After talking for almost an hour just before nightfall where the people come in for drinks, I get a clearer picture of what this place is.

I'm in the country of Njilven, a country where women mostly rule as the head of the state and the strongest kingdom of the Continent, led by the Queen of Wisdom, Lucrelia who leads with the help with the Country's church, the Crimson order.

Ruling with an Iron fist, the Country is prosperous, with most of the male noble-heads ruling the vassal states replaced with women. and any crime committed to women is punishable to an exaggerated degree and it's not even funny.

Before I started my shift, Ulsin whom I call boss (For now) gave me a comment which stuck to me like a thorn.

"Are you sure you're not one of those former noble heirs?"

I looked at him funny.

"Do I look like one?" I smirked adding another comment "I didn't know you fancy men Boss hehehe"

"Pish posh, you young idiot, I was just wondering cause the way you speak and the way you look ain't some kind of country bumpkin"

Well taking into account I was one of the richest and most successful criminal masterminds in my previous life, I wouldn't be surprised.
but one thing stood out though.

I don't look like a country bumpkin, and judging from my clothes these weren't from the farm either.
...

There must be more to me than this, but I just ignored it...

30