Chapter 3 – Pompous bottom
2.5k 8 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It has been 3 days since I started working in the tavern and what did I expect?

Slow days has been the norm... and the Boss wasn't kidding when he said this was a shabby establishment.

barely anyone comes here anymore.

One the main reasons would be the two stationed Elite guards that always patrol near the entrance, both of them are beautiful looking women, but their armor isn't just for show, these women will purge any man who will commit a crime against a woman, and obviously too many incidents have woefully scared the living daylight of many of the regulars of this establishment.

Still even if the Crescent Luna isn't what I expected it to be, (a hotpot of interesting individuals and information) it still gave me a home in my current situation...

I stay on the second floor of the establishment together with Boss Ulsin who currently lives alone.

We've gotten close for the past few days I've been staying and working,  though I usually spend the morning trying to read as much books as I can in his public study and one of the interesting topics I found on the books was the manual for monster slaying.

I just realized that People that fight monsters and do quests are called adventurers and they also have a place where you register called the Guild. what's more killing and doing contracts is a great way to gain money in this world.

So to satiate my curiosity, I took a short leave from work this morning to go register as an adventurer at the nearby guild.

.

.

.

The guild was a large building with different races of people lining up to exchange battle spoils for money, though a weird detail was sticking out among the crowd, Every female I see is very well equipped compared to their male counterparts.

though there are some male adventurers that I see, have decent equipment too but I didn't let that distract me too much since I know what I'm really here for.

just beyond the sea of people I see a small line for the registration for adventurers, most of them at my age too.

It didn't take long for me to have my turn to register, and I was already at the counter greeted by a smiling receptionist.

"Good morning, the days seems bright especially with your smile" I said flirtatiously

"I'm sorry, but the establishment does not tolerate sexual harassment towards their staff, if you have no other business please get out." she says while still giving her smile.

Despite her formal demeanor, I could sense a horrifying aura behind her smile.

"I apologize, I won't do it again, " I bowed my head a bit, "I'm here to register as an adventurer." 

"Is that so?" she says as if surprised "well then I need you to prick your finger and drop your blood on this card for status check."

I did what she asked and pricked my finger with the needle provided, and gave her the card, but as soon as I gave the card, her smile turned into a frown.

"I'm sorry but you're level cap is too low to be allowed for registration" the receptionist says with a wry smile.

I was distraught, "What do you mean level cap?"

the woman hands me over the card issued for status check to look at my level and to my disbelief...

my level cap was only 5 levels to which I have already maxed out.

this was impossible, I felt like a kid prohibited from going to the park and play.

Disappointed I left the guild with my head down low...

As I arrived back to the Tavern, I see Ulsin talking to two large burly men and one Scantily clad woman

 

"HEY ULSIN IS THERE A PROBLEM?" I shouted towards them.

But as I got Ulsin's attention, all three of them looked at and went away leaving Ulsin behind.

I ran towards Ulsin as fast as I could, but as I arrived, he was smiling as if nothing was wrong.

"Who were those people?"

"Ahh, they were just nobodies asking for something irrelevant." he says with scruffy old voice.

"well they didn't look like nobodies, and who was that chick by the way?" I said with a pervy smile.

"I told you it's fine, they are just nobodies that came to ask about something, so there's nothing to worry about."

"well if you say so..."

"By the way Veron, how was the Guild, did you get registered?"

"Well old man, It seems that the guild isn't enough even for my talents" I said cheerily with both my hands on hips.

"You got rejected didn't you?" 

Acckkk..

I got found out.

I wanted to retort but what he did say was true, my level cap was too small to begin with, and fighting monsters beyond would be way too dangerous.

"Well I don't want to hear the details why, so instead won't you come with me for a bit of a stroll."

Ulsin started walking without me, while I was still contemplating on why I couldn't get registered.

"Oi, old man wait up."

I followed him outside Olken and he climbed up a quite a steep hill (he's still quite active for an old man)

And at the end of that hill, was a flat plain, overlooking the entire town of Olken.

The sun was setting and Ulsin was there sitting on the floor looking at the horizon.

...

"This is such a great view, Boss"  

I looked at Ulsin and his faced looked calm yet at the same time troubled.

"Come on Old man, what is seriously bugging you this time?"

He just closed his eyes, smiled and gestured me to sit down.

he didn't reply and there we watched the sun set and disappear from the horizon...

As the orange rays disappear, only to be replaced by dusk's darkness Ulsin spoke, breaking the silence.

"This place at this time is a good place to get freaky." the old man said in a serious tone.

"WAAHH!!!????" I immediately stood and distanced myself from this weird old pervert.

"calm the fuck down, you idiot, I'm just joking hahaha"

"damn it, old man that wasn't funny not in the slightest." 

Ulsin was still Chuckling, while I was still holding a nearby tree.

Ha..haha.... hahaha

"you must be scared shitless huh?" Ulsin retorted.

"Hell yeah I was, what kind of old man would say that?"

"well I do" (Ulsin imitating my response from before)

"God, you're a hopeless old man.."

We spent the night chatting and butting jokes at each other

it was these kinds of moments that I really felt, I had a family.

and I wished times like these would go on forever.

but unfortunately life isn't really that cooperative.

Because after this.

it all goes downhill from here....

18