Chapter 11 – The Determinator Cometh (rewrite)
524 7 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The rolling fog crackling with black light stirred with every step Ryan took.

 

He didn't know how long he'd been walking, but it felt like forever. The passage of time became a nebulous concept, akin to wandering within a dream. He couldn't quite grasp how long he had been traversing this mysterious realm, but he harbored a growing sense of isolation. He was convinced that there must be something here, some form of interaction or purpose, and he was determined to discover it. After what felt like an eternity, a faint voice pierced through the eerie silence, reaching his ears with distinct words, though muffled by distance. Very faint, but distinct words nonetheless. He kept perfectly still as he strained his hearing in an attempt to make out what was being said.

 

"So why did you end your life?"

 

Ryan was taken aback by the directness of the questioning, but was not about to pass up this opportunity. He replied by projecting his voice in the general direction he thought the question emanated from, "Which time?"

 

Silence.

 

There was no audible response, but for some reason, the enigmatic fog around him seemed to react. It drew closer in a peculiar and almost sentient manner. He turned this way and that, projecting his voice all around. He persisted in his one-sided conversation, unsure of the direction from which the voice he had heard was originating, "The first time... Well, to be honest, I had just come to the end of my rope. I've made a lot of mistakes, and I've got a lot of baggage. I... was holding on to the belief that I could fix things with my family." His words echoed through the misty void.

 

"When my wife and daughter died, I lost it. I lost any sense of hope I had left and just-" He raised his arms, and then let them fall to his sides making a slapping sound. The sound reverberated into the distance, "I. WAS. WRONG." Ryan paused, anticipation hanging in the air, waiting for any response in this surreal place.

 

Nothing.

 

"Is that what I'm supposed to say? I'll say anything at this point! I'll DO anything at this point.” He gestured behind himself, “That's why I just killed myself AGAIN." He spun around looking into the fog for any sign that something was there, "I need to talk to you! If you could bring me here, you could bring me my wife!" He clenched his hands into tight fists as he kept rubbernecking about, "Or... me to her?"

 

Silence.

 

"You want me to beg? You want me to complete some quest? Do I have to register an account first? WHAT???" Ryan rolled his eyes in frustration, "AUGH! My pride means NOTHING compared to my family! Don't dangle hope in front of me and then snatch it away!" Stomping his foot once making a loud echoing boom, "Let's make a DEAL!"

 

"A deal?"

 

As the fog parted, revealing a distant and imposing platform that resembled a pyramid, Ryan's attention was drawn to a group of enigmatic humanoid figures gathered upon its sloping steps. They varied in height and silhouette, engaged in what appeared to be an intense discussion or deliberation. Intrigued and determined, Ryan attempted to walk toward them, but with his very first step, his strength drained from his body like water from a cracked vessel. He collapsed to his hands and knees, every breath feeling like an arduous labor. Fighting to maintain consciousness became an increasingly demanding struggle. As he wrestled for both air and consciousness, disembodied voices seemed to surround him, echoing from unknown origins, further intensifying the surreal and disorienting nature of this mysterious realm.

 

"Arrogant creature, is he not?"

"Yes. Like the other."

"We can't do anything about that one, but this one, we can eliminate."

"It would simplify things."

"I disagree."

"He made his choice."

"Everyone has a breaking point. Especially mortals."

"I would like to help the child."

"Is that wise? Events have been set in motion.”

“The rules of engagement are clear.”

“If we eliminate this one now-"

"I do not share your optimism. Something is wrong."

"This one’s very existence is proof that things are different."

"True. He has already changed many things."

"This one might have already done too much damage. If he dies, there may be a civil war. The humans will be weaker than expected. They may not survive."

"If we send him back, how do we know that he won't make things worse?"

 

The force that had been restricting Ryan's ability to speak was strong, but he finally managed to gather enough of his strength to spit out the words, "I can FIX IT!" At that declaration, the voices ceased and the weight pressing down on him lessened. Although he remained unable to stand. Desperation and determination filled his voice as he continued, "I'm an army engineer! I'm trained in building things. Defenses! I know things! Things this world doesn't!" He made an attempt to rise but was swiftly pushed down again. Ryan clenched his teeth, and the strain of resisting this formidable force was evident in his words, "You want that kingdom to survive? Fine! I'll make that nation the strongest in this world!" He gasped for breath, gathering his strength, "I'll bring the heat! I just want one thing-"

 

Suddenly, it felt as if an immense, unseen hand was pressing him flat, causing a sensation of dissolution, as though he were being pushed not just down into the ground, but through it, into a void of nothingness. The battle to communicate and negotiate in this enigmatic realm had taken a dire turn.

 

"Arrogance."

 

Ryan closed his eyes tightly and clenched his teeth as he forced himself to reject the pain. He ignored his protesting body and focused inward, ~This place isn't physical. It is mental.~ He closed his eyes and let everything else fall away, ~Doing anything here is a force of will.~

 

Ryan muttered softly, "My mind... my... rules."

 

"What did he say?"

 

Ryan opened his eyes and a white light flowed out. His body began to solidify as he pulled his hands under himself, "I said..." He pushed himself up off the ground. The pressure was intense. He felt every nerve in his body screaming at him in protest, "My Mind..." He staggered to his feet, "My..."

 

"RULES."

 

A pulse of white light shot out from Ryan's body to push back the fog. It only lasted a second before the fog started pushing back, but it wasn't in danger of consuming him as before. The fog rolled and seethed, trying to take down Ryan like a pack of hungry rats, but the rats were afraid, held at bay by his baleful glare.

 

"Why isn't anyone helping me?"

"You picked this fight.”

“I find it amusing."

 

Ryan took a step towards the figures in the distance. It felt like walking through a wall of fire, He almost collapsed from the effort of that one single step. However, he recovered and only staggered before reclaiming his footing. He began to close the distance, one step for every word he spoke, "I. Will. Find. My. Family." He raised his arm to point to the figures, "DO YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME?" Another pulse from Ryan drove the fog back further, "DO YOU???"

 

A voice laughed.

"This isn't funny."

"We knew how strong they were. That's why we need them.”

“We only needed one.”

“Perhaps we should just give him what he wants."

 

The pressure relented. Ryan stumbled forward as the resistance suddenly lifted. He took a moment to catch his breath, his hands on his knees as he gathered his strength. He took a long breath and straightened up, "I'm okay with that."

 

"It isn't that simple, mortal.”

“Your family is beyond our... jurisdiction."

“I don’t see how it is possible.”

"I Do."

“Oh ho... I see what you are thinking."

"There is a chance, but it would be a long and arduous road.”

"Ah. Of course. He could EARN his family back."

 

Ryan squinted suspiciously, "Explain."

 

"Karma. Plain and simple.”

“You killed yourself, so Karma rejected you.”

“If you want to be with your family again, you will have to perform acts that grant you the favor of karma.”

“Then in your next life-"

 

Ryan cut off the speaker with an angry shout, "I'm not going to wait that long!"

 

"Time is not what you think. You could spend a thousand years here and when you rejoin your family it could be but a day.”

“The question is, are you willing to do what needs to be done?"

"Are you willing to be a hero?"

 

Ryan fell silent. He allowed the radiant glow in his eyes to fade, and his tense posture relaxed. He bowed his head, feeling the weight of countless past regrets, mistakes, and poor choices flashing through his mind like an unrelenting storm. He shook his head vigorously, as though the physical motion could somehow dispel the haunting thoughts, "I'm... I've done..." His voice wavered with a tinge of remorse. He paused, contemplating his current circumstances, his thoughts echoing in the surreal realm, ~What exactly am I getting myself into?~ He clenched his fist as he struggled to make up his mind, "Just, dammit. I guess I've come this far." He raised his gaze toward the distant figures, resolution in his eyes. "I'll do the best I can."

 

"I suppose that is all we can hope for."

"Someone will have to sponsor him."

"I will."

"Are you certain? He is-"

"He's close enough and... I have to admit, I like his style. He has a warrior's spirit. He is willing to kill himself just to challenge the gods. Yes, he is arrogant and prideful, yet he would do anything for family.”

 

There was a distant rumble. Ryan had a feeling as if something important just occurred; a bargain struck or perhaps a seal broken. Whatever happened, Ryan felt a weight descend upon him, like a heavy mantle placed upon narrow shoulders, or a father’s expectation upon a prodigal son.

 

“He has proven to me he is exactly what I want my people to be."

"I didn’t know you wished your people to be insane."

"What shall you do?"

"They are trying to save his life even as we speak. He just needs..."

 

Ryan felt the world collapse. Everything seemed to disappear into the swirling darkness. A vortex of nothingness pulled at him and dragged him down into its unknowable depths. As he felt his grasp on this reality torn from his grasp, he heard one final phrase.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"...a little push."

19