Chapter 26 – The Good Die Young
415 5 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The king started to speak, but Ryan doubled over and vomited the healing potion he had just drank all over the king's boots. Ryan wiped at his mouth with the tattered remains of his sleeve, "Sorry. Didn't catch that."

 

Wiping his mouth gave Ryan a good look at his arm. He rolled up his vomit stained sleeve to get a better look. His arm was infested with a growing web of red, glowing threads. At the point where he absorbed the demonic energy there was a black festering wound. Malevolent energy was moving with questing tendrils as it wormed its way along. Working its way up his arm like demonic kudzu, it had just reached the elbow.

 

"That's not good."

 

Ryan cradled his arm as he examined it. The king watched on with growing horror, momentarily frozen into immobility due to its shocking nature. The chancellor was the only one with the presence of mind to take action. He spoke calmly as he came to the only  logical solution, "Cut it off." Everyone looked at the chancellor, then back to Ryan. Ryan looked up, back at the growing infection, then weakly and wordlessly offered up his arm.

 

The prince grabbed Ryan by the shoulders while the chancellor grabbed Ryan's hand, each one pulling in a different direction. The king turned to a nearby knight and commandeered his sword. With said weapon held at the ready, he set his jaw and closed in on Ryan. Reflexively trying to get away, even as he knew he shouldn't, Ryan closed his eyes and cringed as he tried to suppress his desire to escape, The king spoke clearly, "I’ll make it quick." Gathering wind to him, the blade sliced with amazing speed, cleanly severing Ryan's arm close to the shoulder.

 

The chancellor staggered back, holding onto the arm. The red glow suddenly went into overdrive, completely infesting the severed limb. The arm started to twitch and grasp as it sprouted tendrils of glowing hatred. Eyes wide open in terror, the chancellor dropped the arm and backed away to avoid being touched by the hungry tentacles. The ribbons of energy lashed out and homed in on Ryan, stabbing into his exposed stump. But a moment later, the limb yanked itself back into place and reattached itself.

 

Ryan howled and staggered, nearly collapsing, if not for the prince holding him up. The angry glow worked its way rapidly into his shoulder for but a moment, then slowed to its previous pace. The king's jaw hung open for all this happened so fast he didn’t have time to react. He shook his head to clear it, "Sweet Mira Above! Very well, we try again but-"

Kyle cut the king off with a voice seeped in dread, "No."

 

The King snarled at his chancellor, "Are you disobeying a direct order???"

Kyle looked at the king, his face worn and exhausted, "Use your eyes! He'll never survive! It's too deep now!"

 

"You HAD IT! Why Did You-"

 

"ENOUGH!"

 

Everyone looked at Ryan who was holding his newly reattached arm, looking pale and gaunt like he was fading away, "Don't fight."

The king‘s jaw tightened as he found himself at a loss for words. His mind was racing to attempt to figure out a way to reverse this situation, but he was coming up with nothing.

 

Ryan swallowed then laughed, "Heh. It's funny. The gods told me about this, I just assumed it was going to be months, maybe years from now. No idea it'd be this soon."

The king dropped his sword, "What?"

Ryan grinned, "How'd you think I knew you were in trouble? I heard that guy's name and knew you were screwed." Ryan started coughing and abruptly fell to one knee, slipping out of the prince's grasp. Unfortunately, that was his broken leg. With a scream, he crumpled to the ground. Chastity rushed forward to catch him and slow his fall, cradling his head in her lap.

 

Chastity looked down at him, eyes on the verge of tears. She pushed her hair behind her ear and out of her face, "Maybe... maybe we have a stronger potion in the infirmary?" She started to get up, "I'll be-"

Ryan reached up with his healthy hand and grabbed Chastity's arm, holding her in place, "Stop." She bit her lower lip.

 

"Let it go."

 

Ryan's grip relaxed. He reached up and gently stroked her cheek, "Ah... if I was twenty years younger I think I might have married you." She laughed while looking perplexed.

 

"It's okay. It is. Hey. I'm sorry." Ryan managed to roll his head far enough to see the king, "I've been trying all week to say I'm sorry for calling you a monster. You're a great guy and a wonderful king. Everyone says so. I'm sorry I-" His words were cut short with a violent cough. Moving to Ryan's side the king knelt by him. He put a hand on Ryan's uninfected shoulder, hoping it could convey meaning for words had failed him.

 

Ryan spit out some black substance and looked at the chancellor, "Hey, Salad top! You look after this old man! He's gonna blame himself when it's not his fault. Oh. And I want a band at the wake. Cake. Sweets. I want a party where everyone makes fun of me!"

Kyle remained impassive. He accepted the situation with a single nod, "Understood."

Ryan winked at him, "Good. I want you to put the fun back in funeral. I-" The coughing intensified.

 

The king tightened his grip on Ryan’s shoulder, "Listen. I... don't know how you have been doing all these crazy things... these impossible things, but I need... I need you to do one more impossible thing." He shook Ryan's shoulder, "FIGHT." He gritted his teeth, "Don’t give up." He squeezed his eyes shut, "I’d be dead if you had." He opened his eyes to see the growing red glow was closer to Ryan's heart, "So fight!" He clenched a fist, "That's an order!"

Abruptly Ryan's whole body relaxed and he seemed free of pain, "You know what?" Swallowing to clear his throat, for a moment he looked almost innocent.

 

"I don't want to go."

 

The red glowing lines finally reached the halfway point in his chest. Ryan started coughing and didn't stop. Blood splattered from his lips, showering Chastity and the King with flecks of crimson. The king looked up and around, everyone had gathered. He spotted Priscilla in the crowd. She was standing there, eyes wide, a look of utter horror on her face.

 

The king leapt up and grabbed her by both arms, "Heal Him!" She stared back at him, "I-I d-don't know if I-I-" The king pulled her over to Ryan, "Pray to the goddess. Focus your power! DO what you got to DO... BUT TRY, Damnit!"

 

Priscilla looked down at Ryan's twitching form and spoke softly as if she was a ghost, "This isn't possible. This can't be happening. This just can't be happening. How is this happening?" The king shook her again, "FOCUS! It's happening! Now try!" She cringed as she rapidly explained, "If I try to purge the demonic energy it'll likely kill him!" The king pushed her down to kneel at Ryan's side, "And a chance it won't!" He let go of her, pulling himself away, worried he may have gone too far, "Please." He relaxed and forced himself to sound calm, "Just... TRY. Please."

 

Priscilla turned to look at Ryan, raised a shaky hand, and placed it over his heart.

 

Everything went white.

11