Chapter 52 – Unfettered
240 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ryan stood there, staring at the building. In a city that had only a few lights lit, here was a glowing beacon that rivaled the palace.

 

~Well, she was right, you can't miss it.~ He paused on a rooftop some distance from the target. He reached into his pocket, thought better of it, then unshouldered his staff to survey the grounds with the scope.

 

~I came here with a full head of steam but I've had some time to calm down. If I murder everyone in there, it'll be bad in the long run. Let's consider what they want. This is about pride and lust for power. Do I even HAVE any pride? Do I care if I'm humiliated?~

 

He figured out the most direct way into the building, then the obvious hidden way into the building. It look him less than five minutes to figure out that particular entrance was booby trapped.

 

~Wouldn't it be better to simply walk in full of bravado, let them get me to back down, ask them what they want, then negotiate down to the release of 'Thany?~ He stopped his survey and started hopping from roof top to roof top to get a different angle on the place, ~Why would I risk her life when all they want is money and my pride? Everyone needs pride, but I really don't care what any of these fuckers think.~

 

The new angle gave him the way in. One side of the building, by the nature of being close to the river, had to have extra reinforcement. This resulted in the building being close enough to the outer defenses someone could jump. Of course the designers thought of this, so this one side of structure was a tower with arrow slits and many an armed guard.

 

Of course, they were assuming that the infiltrator couldn't cling to surfaces like a spider.

 

Swinging this staff around, he figured out there was activity on the fourth floor. It wasn't "really" a fourth floor. It was the roof of the place with effectively a separate house built on the wide expance. A sort of mini palace on top of a fortress. It was wide open and thanks to it's location, not at an angle one could see inside.

 

~Okay, approach from the tower side, climb along the wall, scurry under the battlements, get to THAT spot, then...~ He looked through the scope, ~I have to get past those two guards. I wonder if-~ One of the guards looked around, hit the other one in the shoulder. The second just nodded. The first started walking off, ~Guard shift or... just lazy? Who cares. I can take out one. I'll even let him live... I think.~

 

Ryan tied down the hood over his head to hide his hair. He had a preferred pattern of camouflage paint he liked to wear. It wasn't practical in an urban setting, so he was going to have to go with a mask, which meant his eyes would stand out, but that couldn't be helped. He didn't have time for anything complex. Besides, he figured he wasn't going to need stealth past getting in.

 

Shouldering his staff and flexing his hands, he tossed back a mana potion, pausing only to caress the other one, ~One left. I wish I had thought to restock.~ He paused, ~Should I get her first? No... She's most likely in the basement. That's where these assholes keep captives. I'd have to fight my way to her and who knows how that'd go? We go to the big guy, intimidate him, get backed down, negotiate for her release, everyone goes home alive and happy.~

 

As Ryan moved to put his plan into action, he forgot one thing:

 

No plan survives contact with the enemy.

 

 

---

 

 

It was easier than he imagined, which had Ryan nervous.

 

Jumping down to the street: Easy.

Climbing the outer wall: Easy.

Jumping to the tower: Easy

Climbing up to under the battlements: Easy.

Distracting the lone guard with a thrown pebble: Easy.

Getting across the poorly lit roof courtyard to the central structure: Easy.

 

Ryan slid on his belly, keeping a think layer of frictionless water beneath him as he moved. When you are frictionless, it doesn't take much force to move and he could simply propel himself along on the cushion of fluid. He easily reached the ornate windows and double doors that opened out onto the patio. Nobody was on guard, ~Either security is shit, or this is a trap..." He waggled his head from side to side, ~I bet trap.~

 

He turned to gaze up at the long L-shaped door handle that was carved to look like a snake and repeated the thought, ~Definitely a trap.~

 

He paused for a few moments, ~Well, if it's a trap, then I should act like I know it's a trap and just walk in. I wanted to talk to these assholes anyways.~ He slid back to a shadowed area where he wouldn't be immediately visible and stood up.

 

He couldn't see inside that well. Gauzy curtains covered the windows from the inside. The room didn't have a central light source but had candles scattered about the room making the view inside more of a series of indistinct orbs of light, ~Oh fuck. I wonder if this Baron is entertaining a lady friend tonight. This... could get awkward.~

 

Pausing to take out his cigarettes, Ryan lit up as he started walking into view of the windows, ~Ah well, Too late to back out now. Let's just roll with it.~ The act of lighting up caused a flare against the windows. He couldn't see inside due to the reflection, but he was certain he'd be seen in turn, ~Confidence is key.~ He stepped up to the double doors and knocked, "Avon calling!" He announced. There was shuffling inside. Ryan tried the door handle and found it unlocked.

 

He pulled both doors open wide open and brazenly strolled inside. The glow on the tip of the cigarette in his mouth was lighting up his face as he pulled back his hood, "Baron Akar, you went through a lot of effort to get my attention." He clapped his hands together, "Well. You have it. Undivided."

 

Ryan could now see the room clearly. There was a balding, grey haired, overweight man in night robes standing by a giant, four poster bed that dominated one side of the room. It was hung with the same gauzy curtains as the window obscuring the silhouette of a small figure inside. The rest of the room was a series of opulent displays from expensive furniture and artwork. Far side of the room had a pair of double doors that looked like, from the lay out, to lead to a very small room, or a descending stairwell.

 

And that's all Ryan got to see before the package on the ceiling exploded and showered Ryan with fine white powder.

 

---

 

"You know I had heard about your arrogance, but I really didn't think you'd be so stupid as to just walk right into my trap."

 

Ryan found himself on his hands and knees. All the strength had left him. His mana felt like it had turned into concrete as it flowed through his body. His blood felt thick as it sluggishly moved through his body. It was impossible to focus, much less think. He slowly lifted his head to see a pair of feet walking towards him. Past those feet were a blur as something brown and rectangular moved.

 

"No need to rush, boys. The mana suppressor worked like a charm."

 

Ryan slowly made a fist and pressed it into the floor to slowly push himself up.

 

"My word. You are definitely not the type to give up, are you?" The baron crouched down in front of Ryan, "Not that it manages much. I hear it makes you feel like crap if you only have one mana core, but when you use it on someone with two... well... I was warned it could prove fatal." The baron grinned and reached out to fluff Ryan's hair, "Not that I care."

 

Ryan shook his head a bit, "You... don't want... to do this."

 

The baron stood up, "Oh. You think the king will do something? I'm afraid that when you broke into my property, this left his hands. He isn't the end all be all in this country as you might think." The baron walked over to the bed to pull back the curtains. Ryan let out a gasp.

 

Chained by the neck was Bethany and she was dressed in something you'd find on a stripper. She was in the center of the bed, shaking in terror. With wide eyes she looked at Ryan and squeezed out, "Ree-Ree?"

 

The baron laughed at the child, "Ree-Ree? Oh my, that is too cute!" He turned to Ryan, "You broke my son's hand. So, I'm going to make you watch as I break this child in so many... MANY ways." His steel grey eyes glittered lustfully as he paused to slowly lick his lips

 

Ryan felt something twitch in his chest.

 

The baron reached out and gently, almost lovingly, caressed Bethany's cheek, "I have been keeping her here, waiting for you to show up. I didn't want you to miss a single second."

 

Ryan made a second fist and pressed both into the floor, slowly moving until he was on all fours, head hanging down. He mumbled something as his shoulders spasmed for a moment. The lead guard stepped away from the other three to approach Ryan, "Shouldn't he be completely incapacitated?"

 

The baron stopped toying with the child and stepped back to look at Ryan closer, "Huh. Actually, yes. Maybe you should break his wrists and ankles, just to be safe." As the guard approached Ryan, he paused to pull out a long metal bar and tapped it into his palm a few times, "So. Where you want me to start? Hands or feet?"

 

A pair of leathery wings burst out of the back of Ryan, shredding his armor in the process. The twin, clawed limbs spread out an impressive six feet on both sides. Everyone in the room froze. In the case of the lead guard, he froze for one second too long.

 

A talon flashed through the candle lit room. The lead guard's head rolled back, still attached to his body, but most of his throat was gone. You could see his spine as the body slowly fell backwards. The spray of blood splashed across both the baron and Bethany. Her eyes rolled up into her head as she passed out.

 

Something resembling Reed slowly rose to its feet. His body was popping and bulging as it rippled and twisted itself into new and interesting shapes. His skin started to become hard and shiny like a carapace. Fists unfurled to reveal foot long, hooked and barbed claws. His head elongated into a twisted reflection of the original. As a snout formed, the sharp fangs of a predator became visible. Skin fell away to display bloody muscle and sinew. Ryan simply grinned.

 

 

 

"I say we start with the head."

8