Chapter 54 – Intervention
229 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ryan sat up on the couch with a ball of flame hovering over his shoulder.

 

On his shoulder was Bethany, the little girl that had so recently had a harrowing incident. Ryan was reading to her out of a story book. Or rather, he was pretending to read out of a story book. He'd long ago ran out of story books to read to her and had now moved onto stories he had learned as a child, "And that was when Fred pulled the mask off the monster. Everyone exclaimed, 'Old Man Jenkins???' Old man Jenkins then snarled and said, 'And I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for that damn dog! and those meddling kids!'"

 

Bethany yawned and stretched. Ryan finally noticed she was out cold. Smiling down at her, he gently stroked her hair. She let out a little coo and rolled over, flopping an arm across Ryan. He sat there for quite a while before he whispered, "You'll get a crick in your neck if you sleep like that." Ryan carefully slipped out from under Bethany only to princess carry her to the girl's communal bedroom. Ryan dimmed his ball of fire to a mere candle so as to not wake up the others as he entered. There wasn't as many to wake up as there could have been, thankfully. There were only four girls to the six boys. Ryan wondered for the millionth time if that meant girls were less likely to be abandoned, or more likely to be adopted.

 

This only served to once again take his mind to dark places as he replayed recent events, ~I hate this world. It's full of evil.~ He carefully pulled down the covers and slipped Bethany into her bed, ~Something as wonderful as this should never be exposed to such cruelty.~ Bethany murmured something that Ryan couldn't understand as he pulled the covers up to her chin. He leaned in and whispered, "What was that?" With her eyes still closed, she reached up, kissed him on the cheek, then fell right back to sleep.

 

You could hear the sound of his heart melting and breaking at the same time.

 

He walked out into the hallway, carefully closing it behind him to make the minimal amount of noise. As the door clicked, he hear someone clearing her throat. He turned away to wipe at his eyes before turning back to see Sister Tera standing there. She held up a finger and gestured for him to follow. She turned and walked into the kitchen. Ryan inwardly steeled himself and followed. Stepping into the kitchen he saw Sister Tera proceeding to sit down at the small cutting table. Sitting at it already were Monique and Charity. Ryan stopped dead in the doorway upon seeing the three, "Uh-oh."

 

The sister spoke clearly, "We need to talk."

 

Ryan went pale as he walked over to the table, "Oh god, The Baron has re-" Monique cut him off, "The baron is dead." Ryan went still again, then gingerly slid into a only remaining chair at the table, "Details?" Monique held up a single finger over her mouth, "Don't ask any questions. Don't pry for details. Just... he's dead. Alright? Don't spread it around." Sister Tera and Charity sat there. Neither looked surprised. Ryan waited for the shoe to drop.

 

Sister Tera spoke plainly without mincing words, "Now you can leave."

 

Ryan held up a hand, "Hold on there... I don't think that's-" Charity reached out and grabbed Ryan's hand. She carefully pulled it down to the table holding it in both hands, "Reed... you've been here for a week now. You protected this orphanage brilliantly for as long as could be expected of you." She tried to look sympathetic, "It's time to leave." Ryan yanked his hand away, "Why?" he looked at Monique, "So you can put me back to work?" His voice slowly got louder, "The reason I'm WORKING is so I can protect people like Bethany!" He got up out of his chair backing away from the trio, "What's the point of doing all that work if-" He cut himself off and turned to leave.

 

Sister Tera stood up putting both both hands on the table as she leaned towards him, "Don't you DARE walk away from this." Ryan stopped dead, his back to the three, "Come back here-" She demanded, "Right. Now." Ryan wavered as he was wracked with indecision. Monique spoke softly, "Please? We're... not here to gang up on you." Ryan spun around and hissed at them, "Well it damn well feels like it!" He  stared at the the three. They stared back. He averted his gaze, "Look. I get it, but I'm very uncomfortable with leaving this place unprotected. There might minions coming for revenge or-or-or... something. I dunno. Something."

 

Sister Tera folded her arms, "We'll be fine."

 

Ryan looked at her, "Haven't things been better here this past week? Am I not helping out enough?" Sister Tera kept her arms folded, "The kids love you here. You're an absolute godsend in fixing things around here. The place has never been cleaner or in better shape. You even got the back yard cleaned up." She sighed, "That's besides the point." Ryan pointed in the direction of the back yard, "Actually, That's my point. MAYbe... I could build a house out there and-"

 

"NO."

 

Sister Tera's adamant scowl said it all. Ryan sputtered, "Whu... why?" He ran his fingers through his hair, then slipped back into his chair, but only half way. He sat with one leg bent, only a few inches from kneeling as he leaned heavily on the table towards Sister Tera "I've been giving this a whole-" Sister Tera slammed her hands down on the table, "ENOUGH." Ryan and Tera locked eyes for several tense moments before the sister continued, "This is a place of shelter. A place for children to stay until we can find some place for them to live. This is not some place for you to hide from the world!"

 

Ryan sneered, "Hiding? HIDING???"

 

A small voice was heard from the doorway, "was wrong?" Ryan spun around and saw Bethany standing in the doorway, rubbing one eye sleepily. Ryan rushed over to kneel in front of her, "Oh god I am so sorry. I am so sorry. Everything is fine. We're fine." He reached out for her almost in a panic, not quite sure where to touch Bethany, but obviously concerned for her physical well being. Ryan settled on smoothing down Bethany's hair, "Just having a little discussion, that's all." He gave her a most unconvincing smile, "There's nothing to worry about! Do... you want a drink of water or some-"

 

Bethany grabbed Ryan's nose.

 

Ryan went quiet and crossed his eyes to stare at the fist around his nostrils. Bethany let go slowly, "Sister explained everything." She looked past Ryan at Sister Tera with her sparkling emerald eyes. The sister just nodded and gestured, "Up to you when you want to tell him." Ryan looked from one to the other, "Tell me what?"

 

Bethany tried to look happy, but wound up looking more worried, "I'm getting adopted."

 

If it was possible to be happy and heart broken at the same time, Ryan looked EXACTLY like that. "Th-thats great!" He gave her a hug and spoke like he didn't mean a single word, "I'm so happy for you!" Bethany looked over Ryan's shoulder at the trio behind him. Sister Tera folded her hands to pray. Charity held a fist to her mouth and looked very worried. Monique made a hand gesture to Bethany encouraging her to continue.

 

Bethany took a deep breath, then pushed Ryan away and held him at arm's length, "Look at me." She was trying to look serious. To Ryan it came across as just amazingly cute. He just smiled then nodded, "Okay. I'm looking at you." She swallowed and squeezed Ryan's shoulder, "I'm nine years old." Ryan nodded, "Okay." Bethany looked at the trio as if looking for validation, then looked back at Ryan to look him square in the eye.

 

"It wasn't your fault."

Ryan froze.

"It wasn't your fault."

Ryan started to shake. Bethany looked like she way about to cry herself.

"It wasn't OUR fault."

 

Ryan was silent for what seemed like an eternity before he squeaked out, "But it was my fault!" completely broke down, collapsing before Bethany, head all the way to the floor. It took everything he had to not completely fall apart into a wailing mess curled up in a fetal position on the floor. Bethany fell down to hug him and started crying herself. The other three watched on painfully and the two exchanged sobs, confessions of guilt, and offers of forgiveness. Eventually Bethany seemed to have enough and pounded on Ryan's back with her fists, "I can't be happy if you are this miserable!"

 

That seemed to help Ryan get a hold of himself, "Huh?"

 

Bethany held his face and looked into his red and puffy eyes, "They explained everything. I... know they took me to get to you." Ryan looked like he was about to start crying again, "And then YOU came to save me! And you did! You want me to forgive you? Done! Just... be yourself again!" She tried to smile, "You never joke any more. You... I want... you back." She bit her lip and waited. Taking deep breaths, Ryan slowly got himself under control. Sniffling and rubbing his face with a sleeve he remarked, "This is unbecoming." Bethany looked up at Sister Tera with a questioning look. The sister winked back, "Doing fine." This remark caused Ryan to look back at the trio.

 

"You set me up."

 

Monique nodded, "I've met men like you before. Can't show any weakness. Can't let your guard down for a second. Got to always be ready. You're great in a pinch..." The Sister interrupted, "Until you find yourself helpless." She leaned forward, "I used to have a partner here. Great priest. All it took was one bad day and he wound up in a bottle." She waggled a finger at him, "I'm glad you didn't start drinking, or I would have had to hurt you."

 

Ryan let out a bark of laughter, before looking away in embarrassment, "I made that mistake once before." Impulsively Bethany grabbed Ryan by the face and squished his cheeks together, "You didn't hurt me! That man did! He told me why and I couldn't do anything to stop him. He told me how he was going to break you. He went on and on about it and I wanted to die just so he couldn't!" She let her hands drop, "Don't let him win. I need to know he didn't win. Please?"

 

Ryans face changed to one of dawning realization. He abruptly hugged Bethany, "Oh god no. No I am such an idiot. No. No no no. Not your fault. He did not win. No. I'm... fine. I'm fine... right now. I'm... sorry. I've been very selfish. I-" Bethany spoke softly, "Don't stop caring just because someone might use that against you." Ryan stopped babbling and slowly let go, "Nobody so young should be so old." Bethany gave a half shrug, "Sister Tera told me what to say." Ryan chuckled softly, "Of course she did." and gently kissed Bethany's forehead. Bethany seemed better herself, having finally gotten to let her own feelings out, "You saved me! Thank you for staying here to keep me safe. I think... You need to go save other people now. I got to move on. I... want a family. But not if it means you-"

 

Ryan held up a hand flat to his throat and sliced across it, "Nope. Done. I'm... sad, but, happy. I... I'm good." He took a deep breath, "Just... was having a hard time... getting past this." Ryan rubbed the bridge of his nose, "The problem is I didn't save you. It was sheer luck. If that demon didn't rampage through the manor when it did...." Bethany looked up past Ryan at the women behind him, then back to Ryan, "Truth? I... think that demon saved me... er... us... on purpose." Ryan pulled his head back with a confused look, "Huh?" Bethany nodded, "I feel like... that might have been a nice demon... in his own way. Maybe not all demons are bad?" Ryan sat up and looked thoughtful. Bethany continued, "And hey, if you ever meet that Demon, you tell him, thanks!" She gave a thumbs up, "That demon is okay by me."

 

Sister Tera started talking, "They hit me in the head and I couldn't move." Everyone turned to look at her, "But I could hear the kids screaming and I watched them take you." She gestured towards Bethany."I know what it's like to be helpless when those you care about are harmed." She stood up to walk over next to Ryan. She put a wizened hand, wrinkled with age on his shoulder, "The difference between you and me is, I have faith." Ryan looked up at her. She smiled down on him, "I can tell. You might have the blessings of a god, but you don't believe in anything. You only have right here... right now. That makes it easier to break you because you think you got lucky, whereas I see the intervention of the divine."

 

Ryan dropped his gaze to the floor, "I... do not DO relying on others."

 

The sister smacked Ryan in the back of the head, "Well ya better learn! If you had some back up when you went in, maybe it wouldn't have been so close!" Ryan looked annoyed as he rubbed his head, "A'rite..." The sister hit him again, "Not a'rite! I mean it! This lone wolf crap is going to get you killed! People are depending on you!" She whacked him again causing him to flinch, "What was that for!?"

 

The Sister humphed, "Because you're too stubborn!" Ryan hunched away from the nun and mumbled, "Why is it all the women I know feel they have to hit me to get me to learn anything?" Monique blurted out, "Because nothing makes a woman more angry than a man who is squandering his amazing potential with stupidity." Ryan looked surprised at Monique. He waggled his eyebrows and leered, "So you think I'm amazing, eh?" Monique blushed and turned to avoid his gaze, "I- Well- That is- What I meant was-" Bethany tackle hugged him, "I Do!"

 

The Sister nodded, "I do as well. I can't think of anyone else I'd want helping the orphanage." Monique finally stopped sputtering, "Yeah... what she said." Charity nodded along, "Yes. I think you are quite amazing."  Ryan was quiet as he thought about all this, then slowly stood up, offering a hand to Bethany in the process, "I guess I have been hiding." He helped pull her to her feet, then looked at Sister Tera, "Dirty pool ganging up on me, but... I guess I am a little stubborn." Sister Tera pointed at Charity, "Her idea, actually." Charity shrugged, "Your weakness is an innocent face. As far as weaknesses go..." She smiled softly, "I think it's one of your more enduring qualities, actually."

 

Ryan snorted, "So you think all it takes is a little girl with big sad eyes to take me down?" Monique's nodded energetically, "Actually... yeah." She frowned slightly, "It scares me how easy it might be to take you down." She shifted in her seat, "I don't understand you, or why you think they way you do, but it's clear as day that you have rules that nobody else plays by. You care when nobody else would." Sister Tera nodded in agreement, "Listen to this one." She hit Ryan in the arm with the back of her hand, "From the day I met you I knew something was odd about you. I can see why the gods picked you to receive their blessing. Someone as pure hearted as you-" Ryan let out a loud, "HA!" He pointed at his own face, "ME? PURE? What you smoking?"

 

The sister smacked Ryan upside the head yet again, "HUSH! I know you THINK you are some broken, cursed, monster beyond redemption, but you listen to me. How anyone as soaked in blood as you can STILL see good in this world is beyond me."

Charity chimed in, "Going toe to toe with a greater demon alone to save the king..."

Bethany piped up, "You ran into that castle against an army to save me..."

Monique smiled, "Donating time, money, and magic to an orphanage..."

Ryan held up his hands in a gesture of surrender as he grinned sheepishly, "A'rite! A'rite! I surrender! You win! I'm a good guy!"

Monique's smile faded slightly, "I hope you actually believe that."

Sister Tera nodded in agreement, "For what it's worth..." She gave Ryan one final pat on the shoulder.

"You've made a believer out of me."

8