Chapter 61 – Lunch Break
242 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ryan stopped dead and looked round in alarm.

 

He had barely gotten five feet inside the dining hall when it erupted with applause. This was the first time Ryan had returned to the dining hall since the attack and really the first time he was in front of the majority of the school. He refused to show up at the last school function where the headmaster talked about the attack. They wanted to give him some school award, but he declined. Instead the headmaster simply said nice things about him and that was the official end of it. Alas, it wasn't the actual end. During his time at this school, Ryan has transformed from social pariah to lone wolf and now…

 

School hero.

 

Up until this point it was possible for the vast majority of nobles  to write him off as lucky. His pedigree and his abrasive personality made it possible for most to just ignore him. Now that he has become a hero of the people, chosen of the all-father, and quite possibly the strongest person in the entire school, many parents had talked to their children to get the low down on Reed Demonslayer.

 

They explained everything that was publicly known and went into great length as to how 'Reed' had been treated. The advice from the parents was almost universally the same: Someone who is that much of an outcast must be desperate for any sort of relationship. MAKE FRIENDS WITH HIM and he will be a wonderful pawn.

 

Which brings us to the standing ovation that Ryan was receiving.

 

Ryan checked to make sure they weren't applauding for someone who walked in behind him. Charity who had arrived with him smiled encouragingly as she also clapped. She seemed to think this was a good thing.

 

Ryan, on the other hand, clearly did not.

 

He sighed and shaded his eyes with one hand, then held up the other to wave back to the crowd in general. He strained to maintain a neutral expression and not one of disgust. He moved up to the counter and snagged a tray. However, as he started to wait in line, people got out of the way. He cautiously made his way past everyone to reach for his usual lunch when some guy he'd never seen before asked him, "Uh, can I carry your tray for you?"

 

Ryan pulled his still empty tray close to his chest as if he was using it as a protective shield, "Why? So you can put contact poison on it?" Everyone around him laughed, as if this was a very funny joke. Ryan clearly didn't think he was joking at all. His eyes darted about checking for escape routes. The smiling faces started to press in on Ryan, who was really feeling his lack of height as the crowd around him got thicker. Abruptly, Ryan pulled out a bead and threw it against the ground. A thick cloud of smoke suddenly erupted around Ryan, causing the people around him to back up. People coughed as they waved away the smoke. They looked around in confusion.

 

Ryan was gone.

 

A few moments later, people saw him over at his usual table, standing on it, with his axe drawn, "A'rite people! The school has been taken over by some sort of zombie virus!" He looked at Monique and Aldelmo who were already sitting down, "Implement Zombie survival plan Theta! We'll fight our way to the Headmaster's office!" He tensed up and muttered through gritted teeth, "I'll take point." Aldelmo blinked and stared up at Ryan, "Wait. That paper you gave me on zombie survival... that wasn't a joke?" Ryan looked back, "Two types of people in this world, Al; people with a zombie survival plan, and future zombies!"

 

Monique reached up to grab Ryan's leg, "Reed, do wait! I think zee are just trying to be friendly, not... how do you say... Zombified, No?" Ryan looked down at Monique, "Are you insane?" Charity had finished making her way to their table and held up her hands flat towards Ryan as she motioned for him to restrain himself, "I have to agree with Monique! They are not attacking us, they're just... grateful."

 

Ryan burst out laughing, "What? Nooooo... no no no... that's not possible! You know why?"

 

He looked up around the room, "Because I have the blessing of the All-father and that includes perfect recall! I remember EV-REE-THING. For example…” His face grew dark, “the freshman dance."

 

A quite a few people winced.

 

Ryan's eyes scanned the room, "I know the face of everyone there. I remember what you did, PERFECTLY." Ryan pointed into the crowd, "You, wearing a rather fetching black suit with pink highlights were trying your hardest to keep from laughing out loud. Whatever it was you were thinking, you whispered it to-” Ryan swung his finger around, "To her, who was wearing a matching pink dress and had her hair done up quite nicely, but alas, the bow on her head that was holding it all in place had one of the gemstones fall out at some point, and I doubt anyone was kind enough to point that out to her." The student in question partially lifted her hand to her head before she realized it was far too late to check.

 

Ryan jumped off his table to walk over to another random student. The crowd parted as he closed in, "Never heard your name, but you laughed as well. You hid your smile behind your fan, so it was hard to read your lips." Ryan then rushed over to the first prince's table, "Unlike YOU, saintess. You had the most satisfying smirk and mouthed the words, and I quote, 'Serves him right' unquote."

 

Pricilla looked absolutely shocked at this accusation and just sputtered as she tried to think up a defense. Ryan turned and walked away, "Can it. I don't care what your excuse is." He headed back to his table, "Every time I look at the faces of anyone who was at that dance, I remember everything about you, which includes exactly what you did there." Ryan stopped at his table, then turned around to face everyone, "It turns my stomach. I feel ILL because all of your faces remind me of the most painful night of my life." He shrugged, “I can’t help it! It’s this blasted perfect recall!” I remember every wrong anyone has ever done to me as soon as I see their face.”

 

“Every. Single. Time.”

 

Ryan smiled broadly, "On top of that my sister is backed by Lilith who is with the first prince, so, basically, he set the whole thing up." He gestured to the corner table where the third prince was sitting, "You, on the other hand, ACTUALLY cucked me! So don’t think I’m going to forget THAT any time soon." He then gestured to the other far corner where the second prince was sitting, "And if you think I can't see Iago's fingerprints all over that night, you clearly think I'm a moron."

 

He jumped up on a chair, "So! To recap! To look at anyone who was there that night, or is a supporter of the first, second, or third prince, twists my stomach into knots and makes me want to vomit every time I hear your name or see your face." He held a single finger and panned the room with it, "But I don't take it personal. I've been chosen by the gods to save your sorry asses and I will do just that. Yes, you all collectively stabbed me in the back and broke it off, but hey, details!" He hooked a thumb at himself and spoke in an oddly happy tone, "I'm a hero. I fight for truth, justice, and the Lyonesse Way! Saving lives, even if they have been shitting on me for years, is just part of the job. I knew this when I signed up."

 

Everyone started looking at each other and then at Ryan who cheerfully continued, "So don't worry about it. You all can go right on hating me and making fun of me behind my back, I won't let it affect my job performance one iota." He let his smile disappear, "And I will go right on seeing all of you as egotistical, monomaniacal, self-centered brats who all enjoy feasting on the suffering of others because you lack even a single honorable bone in your soulless bodies."

 

At that, the room went completely silent.

 

Finally, The first student he had singled out shouted at him, "And what makes you so righteous that you can judge us?"

 

Ryan started counting off on his fingers, "I create items to improve the lives of the staff here at the college. I have created a program that will improve the food production capacity of the entire country to help alleviate hunger among the poor and improve the standard of living for everyone. I have created a series of advanced weapon systems to outfit our national defense force. I have created groundbreaking research into mana and freely given away said knowledge to anyone who wants to study it. I saved the king and most of your lives."

 

He continued on his other hand, "I volunteer down at the orphanage where I teach children how to read. I donate my money to said orphanage as well as multiple churches. I wander the streets of the capital looking for people in need of help and volunteer my assistance without thought of compensation. I donate excess healing potions that I have created to the local herbalists on the condition they give them to those who would die without immediate medical attention, free of charge. I created a medication that can be created WITHOUT using mana which can cure most bacterial diseases and prevent infection in wounds so we can make sure our soldiers survive wounds on the battlefield that would normal claim their lives."

 

He looked at his two hands with all ten fingers held out, then held them up to the guy who confronted him, "Shall I go on?"

 

The student sputtered a bit and looked away to avoid Ryan's gaze, "Well, i-if I was blessed by a god, I could do all that as well!"

 

Ryan nodded slowly, "That’s true... but even without a god's blessing I'd still could do several of those things without his help. Hell, I can do quite a number of things without even using my mana." Ryan jumped off his chair and started walking closer to the student, "Tell me, you with the power of magic at your fingertips, born into privilege with pure noble blood, possessing the very best education the kingdom has to offer..."

 

Ryan came to a stop, folded his arms, then looked up at the student. However, when he spoke, it was clear he was addressing the entire room, "What have YOU done to make the world a better place than you found it?"

 

The student froze, staring down at Ryan. He looked away and scratched the back of his head, "I... how can... you expect me to do anything when I haven't even graduated yet?" He sounded like he didn't even believe his own excuse. Not a sound came from anyone. You could have heard a pin drop. Ryan glanced around and not a single person met his gaze.

 

Ryan unfolded his arms and spoke in a soft, almost kind voice, "Well then, noble sir... I expect great things from you in the future." He looked over at his table, "You know what guys, I lost my appetite." Then turned and walked out of the dinning hall.

Eventually everyone went back to eating, but it was a long time before anyone said anything.

 


 

The headmaster sighed after sipping his tea.

 

"Charity, I must admit, your skills when it comes to tea have only improved over the years." She sipped her tea as well, "It's my pleasure." The headmaster shook his head, "I invited you, and yet you insist on setting things up." She bowed her head slightly, "You look like you've been having a rough patch."

 

He nodded as his eyes focused off into the distance, "I hated the war, but I must admit, I miss those days when it was-" She cut him off, "I don't like dwelling on the war." The headmaster stopped dead, then dropped his eyes to his cup, "I'm sorry. When you get old, your mind wanders. I asked you here to help me. I need your advice.” He sipped and closed his eyes, “What am I doing wrong with Reed? I don't... get him."

 

Charity put down her cup with a sigh, "I think half the problem is, you really don't understand what is going on in your own school. It seems to me you think this place doesn't change." She settled back into her chair, "This year you have the crown prince as a senior, and two other princes as juniors. They have turned your entire school upside down."

 

The headmaster rolled his eyes, "Of course. I know that."

 

Charity shook her head, "No. You don't. Not really. You act like this is temporary... and maybe it is,  but it isn't going away for YEARS."

 

"The political maneuvering of the three princes completely dominates all socialization that goes on in this school. If you aren't in one of the three power groups, you don't exist. For crying out loud, where you SIT is a political statement! What clothing you wear, which lunch period you take, there isn't a single action a student can take in this school that ISN'T related to those three." She topped off her cup, "Before Ryan, If those three princes disapproved of something, it wouldn't get done."

 

"Then Reed transformed into whatever he is and he's turned the world on its ear. You had to pick a side until Reed came along. He's living proof you don't. You can go your own way and remain neutral to the process." She started putting sugar in her cup, "The other princes took great offense at that. As much as the king wants to think about the future, those princes are only thinking about themselves. Because of that, everyone hates each other. Friendships that would naturally form are killed in their infancy because a prince yawned. The school spirit... the loyalty one might have towards their fellow classmate is being strangled." She shrugged, "Then Reed rampaged through school society like a ogre."

 

Charity slowly stirred her cup, "Nobody took Reed seriously until the tournament attack. Now they are all sucking up to him."

 

The headmaster nodded, "Exactly! I've been working so hard to get everyone to see how powerful he is! See how useful being his friend would be! I thought it would solve everything. A single person who everyone could rally around. They all WANT him in their social groups now! He could be one of the most popular students in the school!  He wouldn't care about the damn princes and who is part of what faction. If he was strong enough, the princes COULDN'T simply tell their followers to ignore him." He sighed, "And yet he drives everyone away. I don't understand. Why would he do..." He let the sentence trail off, unable to finish his thought.

 

Charity lifted her cup and stared at it, "He's not like anyone else you know. He doesn't want to be popular. He doesn't want friends. He doesn't want power, or recognition, or money. To him, if he does acquire any of that, it is just a means onto an end. He will turn around and spend it, like currency to purchase what he needs. The end he seeks is the destruction of the demon lord, and the preservation of this country. And that, in and of itself, is just a step towards onto his final goal, which is to somehow find his imaginary dead wife and daughter from a dream world." She looked up at the headmaster, "What you or I might want out of life, doesn't even register to him. You are trying to make him popular. You think this will make him happy. It's only making him miserable."

 

The headmaster put his cup down a little too hard out of frustration, "I figured THAT part out! But I can't figure out WHY. What social outcast wants to REMAIN a social outcast, and YET does things to make people like him? It's contradictory!"

 

Charity sipped her tea then stared into her cup, "I don't think you'll ever really understand. You don't know how much they hurt him. You think that he'll forgive them, just because they are all smiles now? As far as he's concerned, they all spit on him. He doesn't trust a single one of them." She looked up, "Helping them is a way of rubbing it in their faces. I'm better than you. I'm better than all of you. I'm the best that has ever been and I don't need any of you. Let me show you how weak you are and how strong I am. This is all the satisfaction I need."

 

She leaned back, “I’m only now just beginning to understand exactly how much the blessings of the All-Father hurts Reed. He can’t forget anything. That makes it awfully hard to forgive someone if you are constantly reminded of how they betrayed you. How would you react if you remembered every single wrong someone has done to you every time you hear their name or see their face?” She stared into her tea, “You and I have the luxury of forgetting the past. He cannot no matter how hard he tries.”

 

She put the cup down on the table, "You want him to make friends? You want him to socialize and form lasting bonds with the other nobles? Easy." She folded her hands in her lap, "Give him a reason to forgive them. Better yet, show him one person who wronged him who ACTUALLY regrets their actions.” The headmaster snorted, "They already said they were sorry. Many have tried. I have ORDERED several students to say they are sorry and he rejects all of them." She put an extra lump of sugar in her tea, stirred, then picked it back up, “He wants to see actions, not words." 

 

Charity drained the rest of her tea before continuing, "The words 'I'm sorry' actually make him angry. I figured out why. It's because nobody ASKS him if he wants an apology. Nobody asks him if he is willing to forgive. To him, saying 'I'm sorry' is just... demanding forgiveness."

 

The headmaster looked thoughtful, "So... all the apologies, the gifts, the invitations to social events, every attempt to make amends... comes across as insincere because he feels they are being forced upon him? He feels he is being forced to forgive and so he resents it?" He rubbed the bridge of his nose, "What a brat."

 

Charity frowned, "Really? Because commoners have come to him to apologize and he accepted their acts of contrition. The last one I heard stated first. 'I wish to apologize', I believe was what they said." She tilted her head, "I hate to say it, but the commoners treat him with far more respect than anyone. The nobles might be trying to suck up to him, but it is in such a condescending fashion. The commoners are sincere in their respect and it shows. He returns that respect with humility. I've never met another noble like him. To him, being noble comes with an obligation to serve your country. He truly believes he is a servant to the commoners.”

 

Charity closed her eyes and rubbed the bridge of her nose, "The nobles act like Reed should be thanking THEM for allowing him to be a part of their world. They have no idea how disgusting their world is to him because he sees far more clearly than anyone I know." She turned to stare out the window, "I wish there was some way to fix things, but the truth is, I can't blame him. He has reason to be bitter and no way to forget." She turned back to the headmaster, "I find it a miracle he hasn't just abandoned the kingdom. You'd think he would at the very least seek revenge of some sort, but he actually is far more likely to work harder helping someone he HATES than anyone else. The only way his actions makes any sense to me is that he feels doing so proves he's the better man."

 

 

She sighed, "Honestly, I have no idea what to do."

The headmaster just sipped his tea.

Neither had anything else to say.

 

 

Instead the silence dragged on.

And on...

And on...

8