Chapter 69 – The Invite
184 5 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"A what now?"

 

Ryan peered suspiciously at the courier in the doorway to the building that was Ryan's work space, private laboratory, and increasingly where he slept. The young page kept standing there, holding out the envelope for Ryan to take. The longer it took for Ryan to make up his mind, the more nervous the courier’s smile got, "An invitation." He wiggled it a little, as if the motion might entice Ryan to take it.

 

Ryan eyed the letter, "How do I know it doesn't have explosive runes on it? I don't want to read it then have it explode for six dee six damage and take out my laboratory."

 

The courier raised an eyebrow, "Explosive What?"

 

Ryan rolls his eyes, "It's a joke, Son! This is the part where you laugh?" He shook his head and started to close the door.

 

The courier stuck his foot in the door, "SIR!"

 

Ryan peered at the courier's foot, then up at his face, "You'd better have a good-"

 

Ryan was interrupted, "It carries the royal seal! You must accept it! It is a crime not to do so!"

 

Ryan squinted at the lad, "Seriously?" He snatched the letter and spat out the word, "Fine!" As he popped the seal. He glanced at it, counting on his edict memory to handle the fine details. He was crumpling the letter into a tiny ball when he paused. He carefully opened the letter again to stare at it intently, "I have been invited to a party at the spring palace?"

 

The page nodded, "I hear it is quite the event. Hosted by the Queen herself." He looked off into the distance and got a wistful look, "I wish I could attend, even if it was just to watch."

 

Ryan offered the courier the letter, "Well then, here you go. Have fun!"

 

The courier panicked, "Oh no no no! I couldn't possibly do that!" He held up his hands to ward off the invitation as if it was a great evil.

 

Ryan looked at the young lad then rolled a hand in the air, "Fine fine fine. Give me the details. What the Hell is it about, anyways?"

 

The courier looked surprised, "You don’t know? This time of year she invites the kingdom's most eligible bachelors and the finest ladies of the realm.” He looked from side to side before leaning in closer, “This year I think it has something to do with her second son. The third prince? I think maybe they are finally getting around to trying to find a good wife for him." He straightened up, “Any lady who’s a lady and not already betrothed will be showing up, you can count on THAT!”

 

Ryan's expression fell flat, "Ah. So that's what this is about." He eyed the invitation, "In that case, please inform them I will not be attending on account of the fact that I came down with a severe case of I don't care."

 

The courier sighed and looked unsurprised, "Yes. I was told if you might say something like that." He pulled out another, smaller letter, "The king informed me that in the advent you refused that I was to give you this." He handed the second letter to Ryan, who opened it and read it.

 

"Shit on me." The courier looked shocked at the unexpected expletive. Ryan crumpled the second letter, "Ugh. FINE. I'll attend." He reached into his pocket and tossed a silver coin to the lad who fumbled to catch it, "What's this?" He eyed the coin intently with confusion, and yet a touch of avarice.

 

"Does no one know what a tip is?"

 

Ryan slammed the door shut and went back to his lab, mulling over the invitation, "Great." He tossed the invite on a counter, but missed. It slid across it to fall off the far side and flutter to the floor. Groaning as he bent down to pick it up, he noticed a case under the counter. Remembering the contents of the case, he grew thoughtful, "Well..." He straightened up and eyed the invite again, "Nothing in here states that there is a specific dress code."

 

He tilted his head to get a better look at the case. He continued to muse aloud about the contents, "I never did get a chance to use all the stuff I had planned for the dance." Ryan looked at the letter and a grin slowly spread across his face,"Say... I think the royal orchestra owes me a favor."

 

“Oh this is gonna be fun.”

 


 

The party was in full swing.

 

The queen had finished greeting everyone and now it was her favorite part. The grand tour where she got to walk around and slide in and out of the conversations. A word here, a thoughtful head tilt, this was all it took to change the ebb and flow of the party. It was like playing an instrument, like sculpting marble with fine grit cloth. It was a natural talent she had that was finely honed by decades of experience in her craft.

 

She loved every minute of it.

 

She didn't wander the gathering anymore than a gardener wanders his fields. Every flower needed a little water, some more than others. Any weeds found would be yanked most aggressively. How appropriate that this year's cotillion was in her garden. The layering of metaphor appealed to her aesthetics and what better place to cement her relationship with the next queen, Lilith Darkwold.

 

Lilith's ebony locks made it impossible to ignore her. In a land where nobility was well known for their bright and colorful hair, she was where the light was attracted, yet could never illuminate. The queen allowed herself a few moments to watch Lilith as she swung through the guests. She moved with grace and a gentle voice. The queen let a feeling of nostalgia wash over her. Memories of her own youth bubbled to the surface and made her smile. In many ways, she imagined that Lilith would have made a wonderful daughter.

 

This thought made her remember why she stopped having children with the king, which in turn brought about the regret that she never had a daughter. Her pride and her regrets did battle like they had so many times before, but not a single ripple could be seen upon the still surface that she allowed others to see.

 

Dismissing dark thoughts, the queen resumed tending to her fields, remarking in passing about how happy she was with how the event turned out. She was afraid they might have to hold it indoors, but the warm weather and sun held. Why yes, darling, the pavilion is quite beautiful, I just had it refurbished, why thanks for asking. So glad we could enjoy the garden one last time this year.

 

The event was held about the same time every year. She called upon the social movers and shakers as well as all the single nobles of all the important families. It was a simple gathering and kept that way. A low pressure event had its place just as much as a pivotal one. It was a way to keep tabs on the pulse of society without creating too much drama. At least one person from every important family gets an invite. To not get an invite was a sign that you had screwed up and better get your act together.

 

Of course, this party was doubling up as an informal scouting for who she would eventually approve to marry Morgan. To not show up would be a great insult. At least one person from every family that even so much as paid lip service to the crown would attend. That all said, the queen would have preferred that one individual in particular didn't.

 

That damn halfling, Reed.

 

She would have snubbed him except that the king specifically asked if she remembered to send him an invite, since the king wanted people to recognize that he was legitimately of his own 'house'. The Demonslayer family might be new and only have one member, but it was a noble house, nonetheless.

 

She reluctantly agreed. She was such a pushover for her husband. Besides, she figured that if she gave Reed enough rope, he'd hang himself with it. It wasn't an accident that she sent the invitation with only two days notice. He responded that he was attending, but with so little time to prepare, she assumed he would show up just long enough to embarrass himself. 

 

"Presenting, Baron Reed Demonslayer." Came drifting down from the incline where the guests arrived. At first, only a few looked up upon hearing the announcement.

 

 

But everyone turned when the music started.

9