Book 2 – Chapter 01
85 4 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Who do you suppose is following us?"

 

 

 

 

Rust peered into the distance. They had only recently noticed the lone rider and it was getting late in the day. They would have to stop to let the rider catch up, but that would mean making camp early, "I have no idea, but they don't carry any livery I can make out. Perhaps it's a messenger?"

 

Aldelmo looked at the setting sun, "We're getting close. If we press on, we might catch them before sunset." He paused then turned back to the rider, "But we are close to the border. If things have changed, we might start something we can't finish."

 

Dor brought her horse around, "Then I shall go meet him. If it's unimportant, I'll wave you on and catch up to you alone. If it's something important, I'll return with the rider." Aldelmo gave this a moment's thought, then nodded. Dor kicked the flanks of her horse and took off to meet the messenger. It took about a half hour before the two met. There was a short exchange while Aldelmo looked through a telescope, waiting for Dor to make up her mind. He was surprised when she fired a white flare into the sky.

 

A flare that meant 'Come to me at once'.

 

The rest of the ugly eight and Aldelmo looked at each other but trusted their companion and took off after her. Aldelmo muttered under his breath, "We're losing ground." As they eventually caught up with Dor and the rider, they found the two sitting on the ground, resting. Aldelmo pulled on the reigns of his horse to bring it to a halt next to the pair, "This had better be good."

 

Morgan looked up at Aldelmo, "I'm afraid this is as far from 'good' as you could possibly imagine."

 


 

The group hurried to return to the capital.

 

 

 

Pausing at Seven Stone Keep, Prince Morgan commandeered new horses for everyone. There was a brief hold-up as the commander of the Keep wanted to confirm things with the capital. Morgan ordered the seizure of the communication stone and told the commander to do NOTHING, save protect the border. Morgan made it painfully clear that if he did anything else, it would be treason.

 

As they left, Aldelmo came up alongside Morgan, "What's really going on?"

 

Morgan was quiet for a while, before he finally responded, "None of it makes any sense." He paused for several moments where the only sound was galloping hooves, "Or rather, it only makes sense if the impossible happened."

 

Aldelmo, sounding annoyed, yelled back, "Well Spit It Out! You order us to take you back to the capital. You refuse to explain the details, merely stating that going to Eirin was a wild goose chase! Tell us why, or we're stopping for the night, RIGHT NOW. I will not risk my men by riding in the dark for no reason!"

 

Morgan looked over his shoulder at Aldelmo, "Is that your problem?"

 

Morgan held out his hand. A beam of light lanced out and illuminated the trail before them as if it were bright as day. Everyone let out a collective gasp as what was happening was not possible. Morgan spoke over his shoulder to Aldelmo as they road on, "If I am correct, the enemy we seek is back in the capital. Because only one person knew where I was going to be when the assassins came. The same person who asked me to meet him at that spot."

 

 

The light burned even brighter as Morgan uttered but one word with great vitriol.

 

 

"ARTHUR."

 


 

Eventually, they had to make camp.

 

 

They made a low fire and hid off the main trail. It was late at night, and they would only have a few hours before the sun rose. Aldelmo took the opportunity to approach Morgan before they bedded down, "That wasn't a crafted item, was it?"

 

Morgan looked up, "That... is a state secret."

 

Aldelmo leaned in, "A state secret? That you're a bloody light user? HOW?"

 

Morgan sighed, "An accident of birth."

 

There was silence. Eventually, Aldelmo spoke up, "If you're right, Arthur is trying to overthrow the government and take control. But... why would he? That makes no sense. He's going to be king eventually."

 

Morgan shook his head slowly, "It's something I've been kept out of. I'm not the CROWN prince, so I don't need to know, but my brother is very bad at keeping secrets, so I know a few things." He didn't elaborate.

 

Aldelmo rolled his eyes, "Goddamn it. LOOK. I know we don't get along. I know we've had problems. I'm pissed as hell about the bullshit you pulled, but you know what? I'm putting it all aside. I'm putting the country first. So stop with the secrecy and just tell me what you know... or what you THINK you know."

 

Morgan glanced over, then his shoulders sagged in defeat as he looked at the fire, "I suppose I have no choice. I have nowhere else to go. Everyone else has turned against me. My only friend in the world is dead. I-"

 

Aldelmo grabbed Morgan's arm, "Wait. What?"

 

"Urien is dead."

 

Aldelmo shrugged, "Who?"

 

Morgan looked up, "My bodyguard. His name was Urien."

 

Aldelmo slowly let go, "Oh. I... didn't know him. Sorry for your loss."

 

Morgan nodded, "He was..." Then sighed, "Never mind. The Saintess thinks that Reed is the true demon lord and needs to die. If I had to guess, I'd think that she got through to Arthur who now thinks he needs to take over so he can save our father from Reed." He scratched the top of his head, "I can't figure out why he sent so many monsters to try and kill Lilith, but I think that what actually happened is that my brother's plans are simply spiraling out of control. He was never good at handling fine details."

 

Aldelmo blinked, "Wait a minute. If that's the case, he's going to try and kill Reed!"

 

Morgan nodded, "IF... that's the case."

 

Aldelmo frowned, "You got a plan?"

 

"Well, Arthur will be crowned king, but he will have weak support at the castle. I suspect he'll come up with an excuse and have anyone who is a threat tossed in the dungeon. But Reed? He can't lock up Reed at the castle. Too many commoners at the castle love Reed, not to mention the dwarves will try to free him regardless of his guilt or innocence. He's the chosen of the All-Father and can do no wrong in their eyes." Morgan took a deep breath, "Now the guards can be replaced with loyal ones, but not every servant can be replaced. So..." He leaned back, "Arthur's strongest support is at the University. He'll keep Reed there. He won't just kill him, he'll have a mock trial. He'll need some sort of pretense."

 

Aldelmo nodded, "Then our best choice is to head straight to the university."

 

"With what authority? Do you think they'll listen to me? Arthur tried to KILL me." Morgan shook his head, "No. We take the palace. We need to free my brother, mother, and the chancellor. With them on our side, we'll have enough support to push back. If we show up with just my authority, it'll look like a succession crisis and that won't end well for anybody."

 

Aldelmo frowned, "So leave Reed to die?"

 

Morgan looked up, "No. But a frontal assault isn't going to work with the university. If they close the gates and activate the wards, we're not likely to get in. I DO have the authority to get past the wards for the palace, but not the university. We'd need the headmaster to do that, and if I was holding the headmaster prisoner, it wouldn't be in his school." Morgan started drawing in the dirt with a stick, "If we can maintain the element of surprise and use the main gate, a frontal assault on the palace WILL work." He pointed the stick at Aldelmo, "If Reed is at the palace, I'll save him. If he's at the university, as I suspect, your best chance is to remain undetected for as long as possible. You'll have to go in alone."

 

Aldelmo stared at the fire. He was quiet for quite a while before he stood up and spoke with a tone of finality, "Get some sleep." He walked away heading to his bedroll.

 

 

 

 

 

"We're all going to need it."

3