Volume 7 : CHAPTER – 14 : THE BLACK STORM (1)
1.3k 8 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 14

THE BLACK STORM (1)

 
 

After I woke up, I was surprisingly greeted by an adorable side of Regis which I rarely saw.

 

But I can't help but believe that was just a front to let my guard down. She is just as stingy now as she was before.

 

“Do you know how tough it was to hold that auction while you were having a good bed rest?” Regis glowered at me.

 

“I am sorry. But I could not help it. It was not under my control.” I begged for Regis’s forgiveness with almost teary eyes.

 

For a second I saw the hesitation on Regis’s face as if she was about to forgive me.

 

But then Hana butted in and I by some means was able to intercept her thoughts just then clearly.

 

“I will help Master. It’s my time to shine now. And this has to be the only way!’ Hana thought to herself.

 

What…How…Why… does she even think it’s her time to shine now? I wanted to scream but it all happened so fast that I could not stop her.

 

“Miss Regis you can take my life in form of absolute atonement. After all, it’s my fault.” Hana held a butter knife to her neck.

 

“You already know you cannot die and would just revive yourself so your atonement is useless.” Saying that Regis completely shatters Hana’s resolve.

 

What had even made her remotely think that she could be of help and stand a chance against Regis’s ruthlessness? A novice’s sacrifice is insufferable.

 

“Regis but it is the truth I think your crimson hair is amazing,” I said passionately and put my feelings into it.

 

“Oh! But I have already heard that once, and guess what it’s not that easy to win over me.” Regis resisted the urge even though the blush was clear on her face.

 

Tch…Did she develop  a resistance.

 

Devastated Hana looks at me, but at this stage, even my magic powers and charms cannot help her.

 

“Now go and have your breakfast. I don’t want you dropping every hour because of hunger. And don’t use cutlery as weapon.” Regis scolds her.

 

Did something happen while I was out, I wondered.

 

After a continuous grueling session listening to Regis’s complaints, it was time we completed our preparations to set out to the port.

 

From there we were to board a ship that would directly take us to the other side ⸻The Human Continent. The place where I would have the highest chance of finding Athena.

 

Despite the continent being the largest landmass in this world I was willing to travel to every country and corner of the continent to find her.

 

This was my first trip on a ship and even though I was wildly eager to get aboard, there was one thing I absolutely needed to keep a secret from everyone.

 

My one and only weakness that I did not wish to reveal.

 

No one from this world knows that I cannot swim. I have tried magic but I am still not good enough to travel inside water.

 

I am sure Regis would make fun of me for my entire lifetime. If anyone finds out disdain would immediately replace the momentary admiration and they won’t call me a magical genius anymore.

 

That would be painful when combined with the chance that I always end up getting lost, this journey might be a failed cause and others will abandon me. So, I will have to definitely make sure to keep this a secret.

 

Sensing two people approaching I gaze at the door and it flips open.

 

“I heard the boss has woken up so we came rushing.”

 

“Good morning miss Alicia I am really happy to see you awake and healthy.”

 

Caige and Maia came in and the two looked eager despite their odd timing.

 

“Wasn’t today the last day of the auction… Was there a problem?” Regis asked remembering how long the auction would usually take.

 

“Well, I wouldn’t exactly call it a problem, but today the price of the potions were raised too high that we had to close the house early and call off the whole thing. Otherwise, the targeted audience and the normal people wouldn’t have been able to buy them and they would lose trust.”

 

“So, was it done intentionally or by a group,” I asked wondering it was too soon for a big merchant to interfere since we had only just started. Unless it directly affects their business there shouldn’t be any reaction from them.

 

“It was just one girl and she instantly raised the price of one potion to two thousand gold coins. No one in their right mind would spend this much on one bottle knowing the risk and how new we are.”

 

“That’s insane. Can there really be such a rich girl in this town?” Regis too was shocked.

 

“Even such an amount is big for this town’s noble people. And she purchased all the ten bottles on spot and paid in full as well.” Caige further told us what had happened.

 

A young girl accompanied by an old man, most probably his servant appeared on the final day. And most probably they did not want to waste any time in getting their hands over the healing potion and made sure that no one bets on any.

 

Sealing the deal by raising the price already to the highest possible rate. Even if someone tries to compete with her she can lose one or two bottles while still getting the maximum number for herself.

 

“She did not smell like the sea like other people do here.” Maia makes an abnormal comment based on her sense of smell.

 

“I am sorry but she got the better of us. And because of the rules of auction, she got her hands on all the remaining ten bottles.”

 

“But is that really a problem?” Regis asked.

 

“Well, initially my goal was to spread the story that a potion exists that can heal all ailments and people would come seeking to this story,” I explained to Regis.

 

“But if someone who is not going to use the potion for themselves and misuses them. Then the same miracle story can become a nightmare for us. Boss can you please forgive me and give me a second chance.” Caige was feeling really responsible for what happened since she did all the planning.

 

“It’s alright there is no need to worry. All we need to do is continue with our good work that can overshadow all ill intentions. And I still believe you are the best person for the job. So, Caige and Maia please continue with the job. You two are the only ones I can rely upon for this.”

 

“Yes. Boss.” Caige and Maia had refreshed looks on their faces and they looked more energetic than before when they came.

 

At this point, I don’t think someone would try to come after us just for selling a few healing potions with mysterious powers.

 

“But Alicia why do you want to sell these potions? How can any of this help you?” Regis asked me with a doubtful face.

 

I guess, this question was sure to sprung up someday and other would too have it on their mind even if Caige didn’t ask me.

 

Because people in this world depend more on healing magic spells, the alchemy of this world has remained behind. Also, most of the exceptional alchemic societies and knowledge were destroyed in the Great Wars two hundred years ago because of its prominent dark side.

 

There is a great chance the required healer with the necessary skills may not be present at the scene. Cases of disasters where good healers are limited. But healing potions can be stocked in abundance and even be supplied to remote areas.

 

From what I was told in my past life, my original mother was a very passionate Doctor. And whenever I think about her in that way I am filled with a longing that I cannot deny it myself. That also might be the reason why the first magic I wanted to learn was healing magic. And I also plan to introduce myself as a healer in this world.

 

In Father’s library when I saw an alchemic lab and an abundance of books on the topic. I just knew I had to learn alchemy to come up with the best medicine. A way to infuse my magic and best healing material in one potion. And finally, with Father’s help and my knowledge from another world, I was able to produce one and get the best results.

 

Necessarily, I could have just anonymously shared this recipe with a few skilled people. And despite the complex manufacturing process at one point, I  am sure people can reach to a bare minimum level of producing it by themselves.

 

But there is another side to this pursuit that I just cannot reveal to them right now.

 

And there is yet another distinct fact why I and my classmates and have been reincarnated into this world…

 

I can no longer ignore it. After the recent encounter with the crow apostle, and the Doctor showing similarity. There is something abnormal happening in this world and they all speak of a greater power at work. Too afraid to describe it themselves.

 

But I will be ready to crush anything that stands in my way to reach Athena or comes after any of the people I care about.

 

“Regis, I want to improve my magical skills and put them to good use. There are other reasons as well but this is necessary and something I want to do. So please believe me.” I just wished everyone would accept my words.

 

“Fine, I do. So, what do we do next?” Regis sighed, as she was only curious and she too only saw it as a way of helping people.

 

Hana, Caige, and Maia were also motivated to work for the same as they accepted what I wanted to do. And the best part was that they were helping me out even if they were not certain of the results.

 

“It would soon be time for the ship to leave. Regis, did you get the tickets?” I asked.

 

As if everyone in the room heard a crashing sound and the one who produced it was Regis herself.

 

While the four of us together looked at her who had by now developed a pale face.

 

“I am sorry. I am really really sorry. I don’t want to make excuses but so much happened past these four days that I totally forgot.” Regis begged. She is now almost in the same position that I was in a few moments before.

 

“Maybe its time Hana we can get back to her.” I communicated only with Hana.

 

‘Miss Alicia…’ Hana did not sound so sure. Maybe she was traumatized by Regis’s harsh remarks.

 

But then Caige volunteered herself, “ I thought this would have happened. So, I got three tickets in the middle of work.”

 

“Thank you Caige you are a lifesaver.” Regis looked relieved as if she had found an angel.

 

“It's my way of saying thanks for your help in the auction. But there is something I wanted both of you to know. There have been reports of the recent increase in pirate attacks past these months.”

 

“But what is different this time?” I wondered knowing Caige won’t bring up this matter unless something uncanny was involved. And because it’s a magical world a sea adventure would be boring without pirates in the mix.

 

“While pirates have existed for a long time. It is for the first time they have banded together under one leader. And both the military on either continent is finding it difficult to pinpoint and arrest them because of how fast they move. They have plundered so many ships and silenced everyone who encountered them.”

 

“Great. Another bunch of ruthless bandits.” Regis scorned.

 

“The only thing people know is their name  from the rumors – the black storm.”

 
***

Read 5 chapters in advance on my Patreon page and you can also support me there.

 

Patreon page Link - https://www.patreon.com/noelelitia

 

Join discord community - https://discord.com/invite/WUGFUxbpbd

27