Volume 9 : Chapter 2 – THE END OF COINCIDENCE (2)
909 17 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 2

THE END OF COINCIDENCE (2)

 

Every Sunday, without fail, Sachi would walk through that plain hospital door, her eyes bright with excitement, carrying on her back a treasure trove of fantastical discoveries.

Sachi would then tell me about her grand plans, and her dreams of traveling the world in search of the extraordinary. Her beaming face as she spoke of the impossible places, hidden wonders, and legends.

As usual before leaving she would leave a book for me to finish on my own and I was also slowly getting accustomed to reading the new words as well. It became much easier after she taught me how to use a dictionary too.

However, it seemed very likely that she was only interested in me and shared all this knowledge with me only because I volunteered to be a part of her team. I still didn’t know for sure whether I would ever walk under the sun without any worry and keep that promise to her.

But I still couldn’t figure out why she wanted to do all of this. While she would rarely share anything about her school or any other friends. I could tell she was way more intelligent than me or anyone I had met before.

I never wanted to think for how long this would continue, but unknowingly I had stopped counting the days. Instead, every day I had something to look forward to now.

And then there was Doctor Kaori who looked after me all the time. A few months had passed without me even noticing, spring had gone by and summer had started already. The trees wore a vibrant and lush green cloak and it was also the first time Sachi did not come to visit me this Sunday.

Seeing Doctor Kaori alone, was like someone gave me a jolt of unexpected emptiness and concern. Glancing anxiously at the door, I waited and kept watch wondering if she might be still coming late.

But before the melancholy could settle on me, Doctor Kaori giggled and I wondered if something was up.

“Can’t wait to talk to a cute girl, eh? I suppose she hasn’t told you. Well, maybe she wanted to keep it a surprise?” Doctor Kaori said while examining my latest clinical reports.

“What surprise?” I wonder whether it’s a good or a bad one.

“Well, she will be having her summer break starting next week. So, she has been busy finishing all her school homework right on the first day. The rest you should be able to figure out yourself.”

School was the primary reason Sachi did not come to visit me on any of the weekdays, but could only do so on Sunday. A summer break in school would mean some kind of holiday.

I think I had heard Sachi say that one can only become a true adventurer when they are able to unleash their intrepid soul into the wild. So, maybe these kinds of holidays served the same purpose to allow the students to go on their own thrilling journeys.

So, what kind of master plan does Sachi have, to conquer all her adventures in a single day? Could she be right now climbing a steep forest to get to a phoenix’s nest, or passing the great mist sky forest in a giant hot balloon she told me about just last week?

I could only imagine all the exciting crazy things she could be doing right now and I couldn’t wait for her to come and tell me all about it.

“So, why don’t you just talk to me instead? Today I have a very few number of patients to examine, so I will be spending the rest of my time here.” Doctor Kaori offered.

“I see.” I did have so many questions for Doctor Kaori knowing that she was the only doctor who had stayed so long without giving up on me.

“I can tell you about anything you would want to know.” Doctor Kaori said to me as if it was customary for her to read my mind. But this could also be my first and only last chance that she would be ever willing to answer any of my questions.

I don’t know where my family is now and I did not want to think about them anymore. It would only get me depressed and get in my way of healing.

On the other hand, meeting Doctor Kaori was like I had found a second family for myself, But I would never expect anything of them more as it would be wrong of me.

And still, there was always a part of me that wanted to know.

“Why would you all do this much for me?”

I was still able to stay in this hospital and was even shifted to a better room and given more facilities. So, someone was paying for my treatment all this time and I never again felt lonely because of Sachi always coming to visit me.

“You are still worrying about such little things.” Doctor Kaori looked at me with puffed cheeks. “I told you it’s my dream to be able to help everyone as a doctor. And my husband shares this dream too. I've already informed you about your medication. In fact, the entire cost of your treatment is being compensated by his company since you are helping us to complete our dream project.”

Apparently, Sachi’s father had started his own research pharmaceutical company. He and Doctor Kaori were working on making some kind of super drug which was still in the trial period. I was one of the first few people who were receiving this medicine.

Consequently, I had to sign a contract as well and was informed about this well in advance. And, I had no reason to deny it.

Ever since Dr. Kaori took over my treatment, all my medications were adjusted according to her prescriptions. Coincidentally, it was during this period that my health began to show daily improvements, indicating that the medications were indeed effective.

“But still…” I don’t know how I would ever repay them.

What if I didn’t get better or the results they hoped for never showed and I turned out to be a disappointment?

“You should only focus on healing and feeling better each day. Let the grown-ups and your doctor, that is me, take care of your treatment. Didn’t you once say to me that you wanted to go to school too? And the nurse recently gave me your physical reports that you are doing well at your exercise and are able to move around without feeling suffocated.”

Doctor Kaori had the same pleasant but whimsical aura as she rubbed my head continuously.

“Now go back to rest. I am sure you are going to have a busy schedule from tomorrow.”

I could barely comprehend Doctor Kaori’s intentions.

But for the first time, the day without being a Sunday. Sachi showed up and was sitting right in front of me.

“What you don’t like me coming here anymore?” Sachi said interrupting my intense gaze.

I still could not understand why would she be here of all places if she had holidays and could go anywhere she wanted.

“No, that’s not it.”

“Well, you should be happy I can come here every day now.” Sachi said like it was normal for her to do so.

“So, does that mean you have completed all your planned quest so soon?” I asked.

Sachi gazed at me with an air of pride, as if reveling in her achievement.

“But wouldn’t in your summer break you want to go and do other things like visiting your friends or going to all kinds of places.” I asked.

“It's not like they didn’t invite me or didn’t feel like keeping me in the loop in any of their groups. You know I have already told you what’s it like at school…” Sachi started giving me all kinds of explanations.

“Doctor Kaori does Sachi has no friends to call.” I thought it was best to ask Doctor Kaori about this.

“I don’t know Kenta, but Sachi was the one who said she wanted to spend all her time here.” Doctor Kaori holding her chin said to me.

“Listen, Ken, I may not talk about them but I have a lot of friends at school, got it?” Sachi at the same time responded with a scared look in her eyes, stepping close to me to the point she came and sat on my bed.

“⸺I will stay with you as long as you are here, so don’t worry.” For once, I wanted to do something for Sachi as well. So, if she decides to come here every day as long as her vacations last. I should do my best to keep her happy.

“Never say that again even as a joke to anyone else.” Sachi’s expression further grimed. She returned to her chair, avoiding eye contact with me, and gazed downward at her sneakers while forming a bashful pout.

I looked at Doctor Kaori wondering if I was wrong in saying that.

“Looks like you've still got a long way to go, Kenta before you can tell when a girl's just playing the shy card! Sachi, why don't you go ahead and give Kenta what you've brought for him?” Doctor Karoi always had something to tease me with and then she would also help me out.

“Take fi..sh!” Sachi handed out a box to me.

But right now, more than that I was focused on what Sachi said, did she actually stutter just now and not even realize?

Not knowing what the box was for I opened it and found some shaped brown cubes in them. From the smell I was sure it was chocolates, even though I had too few to even remember their taste properly.

“Sachi made them for you.” Doctor Kaori informed me.

“But... should I eat them?”

“Don't worry, as your doctor, I believe you should be able to enjoy any food from now on. And what better way to celebrate than indulging in some delicious chocolates?” Doctor Kaori assured me with her smile.

I looked at Sachi as I picked up a piece, her cheeks rosy with a mixture of excitement and shyness.

Her fingers fiddled nervously around themselves as I took a bite.

“How is it?” In her soft, hesitant tone of her voice, she quickly asked.

Without responding to her question, I swiftly grabbed a second and was already nibbling on a third. Now I know why every kid is crazy for it out there.

“It’s so good.” While I ate I could already see both Sachi and Doctor Kaori looking at me with something in mind.

“⸺Here.” As I said, Sachi and Doctor Kaori picked their own share.

“If you like them this much, then I will bring you every day something new for you to eat.” Sachi offered.

“Really, for a second I was concerned you were only going to bring chocolates because I once had a nurse warn me that eating too many chocolates could get me fat.” I thought I should warn Sachi of the consequences of eating too many of them.

“I am not worried about that. Mom eats too many chocolates and she never gets fat. So, I am not going to get fat either.” Sachi seemed unaffected.

“How did this move on to me? And Sachi, mom does not overeat!” Doctor Kaori too hated the prospect of getting fat but she just couldn’t let go of her precious chocolates especially made by her own daughter.

"It's because one day I will just grow old enough to look like Mom," Sachi said, admiring her own mother.

"Don't grow up too fast, sweetheart," Doctor Kaori embraced Sachi and gently brushed Sachi’s cheeks with her own.

For a moment, I glanced at both Doctor Kaori and Sachi.

It was entirely possible that Sachi would grow up to be as beautiful as Doctor Kaori, or perhaps even more so with her inherent cuteness. The thought of Sachi in a mature form occupied my mind, making it difficult for me to focus on anything else.

The conversation continued, with Doctor Kaori and Sachi exchanging exaggerated compliments and playful predictions about Sachi's future beauty projections. However, I found it increasingly challenging to concentrate on the words being exchanged.

Just hearing her call my name or catching her gaze suddenly caused my heart to race.

But as the conversation went on, I couldn't ignore the strange sensation in my chest. It was as if my heart had developed a mind of its own. Finally, I blurted out, "Why is my heart pounding so heavily?"

Doctor Kaori and Sachi both looked at me, their eyes wide with surprise and then burst into laughter.

Doctor Kaori playfully poked my side and teased, "Well, I guess I will just have to add 'heart-throb' to your list of symptoms as well."

Each day passed swiftly from that point onward.

Sachi would come to visit me every day along with her mother. With the only exception of a few days if she was otherwise visiting her younger cousin sister she sometimes told me about. But she would never forget sending a homemade lunch for me.

Following Doctor Kaori’s suggestion who predicted that I might be out of the hospital by the end of this year after some final diagnosis and surgeries, I would be able to go to school as normal.

Sachi was teaching me every day everything related to coursework so that I could easily catch up. And from what I had expected she turned out to be an amazing teacher.

Our daily routine included sharing meals together, and the dishes Sachi prepared were heavenly compared to the hospital cafeteria. Occasionally, Doctor Kaori would also join us for lunch if her schedule permitted. However, in the evenings, Sachi would return home as I eagerly awaited her to return the next day.

I knew I was on my way to recovery and I wanted to get out as fast as I could.

As the summer vacation drew to a close, and we approached its last week, a noticeable change came over Sachi.

It was as if a shadow of sadness crept over her, growing with each passing day. Although she didn't openly express it or bring it up in any of her conversations, it was evident that something was amiss.

Her demeanor seemed distant, and she appeared lost in her thoughts which was a far cry from her typically cheerful and resilient self.

“Sachi, can you tell me more about this book,” I asked. Maybe talking about a book, she liked would lighten up her mood.

“Really, now is not the time. There’s so much for you to learn if you want to come to school.” Unlike her normal response, Sachi looked agitated.

“Sachi is something bothering you lately? Did I do something wrong? Could it be that you don’t like coming here anymore?” I know I had started panicking, but also because I could not see her sad any longer.

“Stop Ken. It’s nothing like that. In fact, I don’t want to stay home all day, that’s why I wanted to come here. Because the summer vacations are getting over, I can’t help but feel down.” Sachi explained herself regaining her usual tone.

If school starts then Sachi won’t be able to come here, I really did not know that it meant so much for her.

“But we can still meet on Sundays.” I assured her that I would be going nowhere.

“That’s right.” Sachi deliberately made a smile and started reading her textbook. But I already knew the difference between the Sachi who would be engrossed reading a book and the one looking all worried and pretending to just skim over it.

“Then could it be you do not want to go back to school?” I guessed.

“Heh…? Of course. It’s not that. You are thinking too much.” Sachi tried to derail me from my thoughts.

⸺There it was. I finally thought I had found the problem.

“I get it. You still think I am not trustworthy enough.” With the time I spent with Doctor Kaori and Sachi, I too had learned to play my cards well by now.

“That’s not what I think. Because you are my… only…”

"Then tell me, and I will make sure I can help you. And even if I am unable to help you, it will be our secret." I looked at Sachi with an optimistic smile.

Till now we had shared so many secrets so sharing another would bring us no harm. And I remain always true to my words.

“You know how it’s like after summer vacations in school.” Sachi fiddled with her fingers anxiously.

“I won’t know unless you tell me.” I gave a plain definite reply realising my empty state and inexperience in the matter.

“Sorry,” Sachi realising her mistake, she continued speaking, “Last year when students were back from their vacations everyone was so happy talking about how their parents took them to various places. While all I did was stay alone at home.”

Doctor Kaori was a doctor and Sachi’s dad was the founder of a pharmaceutical company. Both had such important jobs, that it made it impossible for them to abandon their posts. If my memory serves right, not even once had I seen Doctor Kaori on a leave ever since she came here.

“But you don’t have to worry, this time I got to spend my time with you. No matter how many times I tell them that I want to spend time with them and go on a trip, they would always postpone it to some other day.” This was the first time I saw Sachi sad and I as well was at a loss for words.

Sachi had never gone on vacation with her parents, not even once. I too had my travel plans with my parents before they disappeared. So, I know how she really felt. Sachi never even mentions playing with her friends either.

“Let me talk to Doctor Kaori. If I tell her and explain her well she will understand.” I thought of an immediate solution and was about to get out of my bed.

“No, you won’t do anything like that.” Sachi quickly caught my arm as I tried to move.

I stopped to hear her.

“Remember ⸺you promised!” Sachi’s eyes were pressed and her hold was tight as well.

“But, then…”

“Both my mom and dad have incredibly important jobs, and I wouldn't want to trouble them by being a bother. Just having the chance to spend even a little time with them at home, even if it means throwing a tantrum to get them to play with me, is more than enough for me. After all, I am the one they love the most in this world.”

After Sachi expressed her feelings, I didn’t know what I should do until I had an idea.

“There’s a park here right close to the hospital. If you want I can take you there right now and we can play together. It’s still evening and no one would suspect if kids go there. I have heard it is even normal for kids admitted to the hospital to go there occasionally. And we will be back even before someone notices.”

Now it wouldn’t be strange if anyone saw a kid in a patient’s gown playing and would assume that the caretaker could be close by.

“Really…” Sachi’s eyes beamed for a moment. “But I don’t know the way.”

“Just leave it to me.” I knew exactly where the park was, even when I had not seen it myself. My parents always talked about it and how they wanted to take me there as soon as my condition had improved.

“But we need to do this while being awfully quiet, let’s put the hospital escape plan in motion.“

“Umu.” Sachi cheered with me.

It felt like the beginning of our own little adventure.

First, I needed to remove the pipes and injection attached to my wrist veins, but I was too afraid to do it by myself. So, we decided that Sachi would be the one to do it. I nodded with little trust and closed my eyes.

“It’s done,” Sachi said.

"⸺That didn't hurt," I exclaimed with unbelieving eyes. Sachi was truly Doctor Kaori's daughter, and I had always believed she could do anything she set her mind to.

“Now, let’s go.”

Sachi and I moved the chair to get to the doorknob and unlocked it.

All we need to do is take advantage of our little heights and not come under anyone’s radar.

I knew the usual front gate wouldn’t work because of the guards. But because Sachi would come with her mother she too knew well where the exit from the backdoor directly leading to the parking area was.

And it wouldn’t be strange to see Sachi pass through it.

Once we got to the door and entered the parking lot, we were like free birds now.

And I still felt normal and not fatigued so everything was going well.

Sachi stood there listless not knowing what to do next. And I knew even if she wanted to she would never speak up for it.

“You can hold hands if you are afraid of getting lost.”

“It’s just for this once.” Even before speaking Sachi had already caught on to my hand. She was the kind of girl who would always like to do things on her own and not rely on anyone else.

“I will get you there safely.”

It’s not like we were going too far. It was just a walk of one minute crossing from one block to another and we were now standing right in front of the park gate.

Also, the edge of the back of the park was always visible from the hospital window.

“Ken, you are awesome.” Sachi said to me.

This could have been one of the only few moments of my life where Sachi could have praised me and I wanted to cherish it for a bit longer.

But Sachi, like a loose cannon, was already on a running spree and went inside the park.

“Wait for me!”

Whether it was playing in the sandbox or enjoying the swings and slides, we tried our hands at everything. Fortunately, the park was nearly empty, with hardly anyone around to notice anything amiss or object to two kids playing freely in the park.

But still, we had reached our limits pretty soon and only after half an hour, the rush we felt till now finally subsided.

Lying on the fluffy green spread of grass which I always wanted to do; Sachi followed suit.

“Ken isn’t this fun.”

“Yes, like having a very little adventure of our own.” I joyously replied.

“I wish we could do this more.” Sachi said.

“We will once I am able to go to school with you.” I replied.

“Ohhh!… alright.” Sachi initially seemed surprised, but then she bashfully nodded in agreement.

Observing Sachi's surprised expression and her averted gaze. Was she mad again?

It was clear to me that my earlier straightforward assumption about attending the same school as her might have been too blunt.

“⸺We should get back now. Mom could be coming anytime to check on us.” Sachi was worried about otherwise getting caught and causing trouble for Doctor Kaori.

“How about doing something adventurous before we leave once.” I just did not feel like leaving so soon. I was not sure whether I would get another chance to play in the park with Sachi like this again anytime soon.

“What would you want to do?” Sachi asked me.

“I don’t know. Aren’t you the one who comes up with all kinds of ideas at a time like this?” I was confused and still undecided.

“This time since it was you who brought me to this place. I will allow you to choose what we will do next.” Sachi acted like a princess giving me a reward.

“Okay.” I started looking around until I chanced upon a huge tree with a big trunk. I felt like if I was at the top of this huge tree I could look at the whole world all at once.

“How about we try to climb that tree? It feels daring enough.”

“Not bad, Ken.” Sachi approved of my quest.

Once we were close to the tree, the task started to seem a lot tougher than I imagined.

I looked at Sachi who was standing beside me.

"You can start climbing first and help me later. I can't get my clothes dirty; otherwise, Mom will find out." Sachi suggested and made it clear that this was non-negotiable.

So, it's fine for her if I get my clothes dirty! There was no use arguing Sachi so I started my ascend. While, this was my first time climbing a tree, but I had already seen some videos and pictures of people doing it.

The two of us started climbing and after getting just a meter high, we encountered a problem. Despite how old the tree looked, the grooves and holes on it were too far away to reach as we got higher.

“Ken pull me up,” Sachi asked. Her height was slightly less than mine, making it difficult for her to reach the next handhold.

I left one hand gripping my support and extended the other to her. Sachi clung to it tightly, and just as I managed to get her to the next handhold, something unexpected happened.

“What’s the matter Ken? Why are you shaking?” Sachi inquired from below..

A squirrel emerged from a higher groove where my other hand had been supporting me. It tickled my finger, and despite my efforts to resist, my grip loosened.

As a result, I began to fall, and Sachi followed immediately after, still holding on to me.

Thud! Thump! Like two apples falling from the same tree and landing on top of each other.

“⸺Sachi are you alright?” I quickly asked her as she got off me.

My life was in danger if Doctor Kaori found out that Sachi got hurt because of me.

“Sachi…” I looked at her while she held her head and was back to fixing her hair like nothing happened to her.

My eyes then drifted toward her hands and legs, which bore numerous scratches and were flushed with redness. However, instead of worsening, a faint golden glow enveloped her skin, causing the cuts to gradually fade away and heal on their own.

“Sachi, what’s happening to you?” I asked my eyes still not believing what they saw happen just now.

"Oh, this," Sachi replied with a cheerful smile. "Every time I get hurt, everything gets fixed on its own."

I was taken aback as she pointed out, "Ken, why are you still hurt? Look, your knee is bleeding." Her expression shifted to one of concern.

It was true I was hurt more badly than Sachi, but just now what Sachi told me it left me numb.

"Oh no, we need some water, and I left all the bandages I carry in my bag," Sachi exclaimed, her agitation becoming evident. Then she turned her attention back to me, her face filled with worry. "Ken, why aren't your wounds disappearing like mine?"

She didn't know.

"Sachi, does this normally happen to you?" I inquired; my curiosity piqued by the unusual situation.

“But why would you ask me that now at a time like this?”

“Just answer me.” I pressed.

"Let me see," Sachi began to explain, "Mom and Dad have always been so careful with me that I hardly ever get hurt. But when I had started to learn to cook I would sometimes get my fingers cut or my hands burnt. Before I could tell my mom about it, the pain just disappears. But isn’t this just normal for everyone?”

Sachi had never realized this about herself, and because no one had ever noticed or mentioned it to her, she believed it was a normal occurrence for wounds to heal on their own. I, too, had been unaware of Sachi being capable of doing such a thing.

I couldn't help but wonder whether Doctor Kaori was aware of this phenomenon happening to Sachi. If no one knew about it, I needed to be cautious not to disclose it to anyone.

Not even Sachi should know, otherwise, she might get scared. Sachi could also find herself in trouble if word of it gets out.

“Ken, what are you thinking about? You are hurt!” Sachi's voice finally reached my thoughts, and I detected a hint of tremor in her tone.

I noticed tiny droplets that had gathered on her eyelids, though it was inconceivable that Sachi could be crying.

Then, she swiftly placed her palm near my bleeding knee.

"What...?" I began to ask, but before I could comprehend her intentions, the same golden light sparkled and bathed the wound.

In the same fashion as before, all the wounds I had sustained just now got miraculously healed.

“You are kidding me? How did you do that Sachi?”

“I don’t know this was my first time. I just didn’t want to see you hurt so I thought I could do it. And now you are okay.” Sachi said happily.

“Thank you.” I was still taken aback, but I needed to act normally for now.

“Next time just be more careful and don’t let me or yourself ever get hurt again.” Sachi ordered me with a serious expression on her face.

“I won’t.”

I still did not know what to do. It was all so surprising and one thing I knew well was wounds just do not go away so easily. But I also needed to make sure Sachi did not realize what she did was completely abnormal.

“Ken let’s go back.” Sachi stood up and she dusted her clothes.

That’s right, I just needed to protect another one of her secrets.

***

 

 ̄\_(ツ)_/ ̄ SUPPORT ME IN MY WRITING ̄\_(ツ)_/ ̄

Everyone who is reading my novel and loves Alicia on her exciting adventures in this new fantasy world.

Thanks a lot for all your support! It really means a lot to me.

Till now I have published from volume one to volume eight for free. And I hope to continue to do so even now. It has really been an exciting work for me to narrate you the story of our main character who fights her way to the bottom of abyss with her magic and skills and then eventually storms in the outside world.

Keeping the text error free takes a lot of revisions and consumes time, but no work is ever perfect. With your support and reviews I know that I have improved a lot in my writing.

You can support my writing by reviewing my book on the platform you are reading.

And even now I am asking for a bit more that if you voluntarily support my writing.

 .

Patreon page Link (read 5 chapters in advance) - https://www.patreon.com/noelelitia

Paypal link - Click Here

Join discord community - https://discord.com/invite/WUGFUxbpbd

 .

I hope that you keep enjoying my work and in knowing the interesting characters which will be constantly introduced to you in the story.

I hope that the next chapter too proves to be to your liking!

Happy Reading Everyone!!!

17