Volume 9 : Chapter 5 – THE END OF PROMISE (1)
1.1k 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I would like to thank our new patreon:

  • Ryiah Bowers

To support me in writing this novel becoming a Patreon is highly appreciated. Patreon page - https://www.patreon.com/noelelitia

 

Chapter 5

THE END OF PROMISE (1)

 

“That day… I was supposed to die.” The overwhelming sensation left me frozen before Erebus, my hand trying to soothe my eyes, which still throbbed with a burning sensation.

"Do you finally believe me?" Erebus inquired, devoid of any hesitation, as he distanced himself from me.

There was always a possibility that this god of darkness might have forced me to see made-up false illusions. But…

The visions I had witnessed remained somewhat murky, yet a part of me hesitated to reject them that simply. The woman who had rescued me, the image of a girl whom I should have known, began to slip away from my thoughts. Once more their names became blank. Cherished faces again turned invisible and their voices rendered too faint for my ears to hear.

It was as if all my recollections were disintegrating into oblivion, losing their significance to me. But this time, I was certain I had retained the emotions that came with them.

"Why? ⸺Why me? What was that thing that came after me?" I cried out.

"It's quite simple. The moment you deviated from your destined path; you became an anomaly in the Divine system. I don't know how it occurred, given that your memories are still unstable. The more significant the deviation, the harder the Divine System works to erase you from this world. Once that happens, it's game over for you. There must be a considerable force protecting you to have brought you this far." Erebus held his chin still in thinking mode. I wonder how much was he able to see through my vision.

"Like I'll understand any of this crap about destiny." I shouted at him. Even though there was no explanation to what happened that day I did not know it was the right thing to blame it all on something like destiny. Something I still did not believe in.

"Indeed, people calling themselves of the new age, seldom believe in fate. However, I think that this place and the circumstances you now find yourself in are ample proof for that..." Erebus was persistent.

“Tell me what did you really come here for? What do you hope to achieve through me?” I asked still feeling vulnerable.

“Booo…. I told you I just want to help you. Can’t we move forward with that for now? Don’t you want one of your wishes granted, maybe get back all your memories? Or wouldn’t it be nicer to bring all the people you lost back to life?” Erebus appeared ecstatic at the thought.

“But that doesn’t make sense. You are contradicting yourself.” The laws of the divine, governing the fate of all, alluded to a singular thought. And while I felt smothered by this idea, Erebus only gleamed at me.

“Those wishes will never be granted. You yourself said that the Divine System will try to strike out some kind of balance, so anyone with a shitty wish will be eliminated.” I said my thoughts out loud.

“Don’t you think the normal way of doing things and living out each day is so sad? In the end, everyone dies. Mortals so easily get hurt; always cry for something they do not have. And get sad when they don’t get what they want or are not loved.” Erebus explained in a poetic fashion.

“Isn’t that how it goes.” I said rhetorically unaffected by his notions.

“But if I told you that a man who is destined to die can break free. Do you think such a wish could be granted?” Erebus asked looking straight at me.

“You won’t because that would go against the laws of nature and the Divine System won’t hand over such a power.” I replied.

“That’s right. No matter what anyone does they can’t escape a fated death. That is nothing changes in the end. But you are different, you have already cheated death more than once from what I have seen. In a way this time too by reincarnating yourself, you just might…” Erebus suddenly stopped speaking but then continued with his usual tone, “That’s what makes you the right person for this.”

“If anything and everything is tied to a common end then there is no point in making choices. Since the outcome of a choice is already said and written. So you want me to choose whether to go along with what the Divine System’s will or rebel against it.” I think I was slowly understanding how Erebus thought.

“Yes, magnificent. You are really what I thought. And I know out of all these people you can only make that decision.”

“It’s not all there is to this, right.” I thought there was more to this story than Erebus was letting on.

“I am glad, you finally understand the game here. However, there is just one exception to the whole thing. The being they refer to as the one favored by the divine. Usually, they are super high-ranking gods, but mostly their will itself slowly fuses and aligns with the Divine itself and they only end up becoming a ragdoll. Unfortunately, there has not been a one after the Great War ended.” The world of the divine for me was slowly getting messier and messier as Erebus revealed its truth to me.

“So, they are more like the enforcers of the Divine System, and this time you suspect it could be one of the gods participating in the reincarnation. And to hide that fact, this entire reincarnation ceremony is being used as a veil.”

“Perhaps and perhaps not. But this whole reincarnation ceremony is being performed to give that being the final form it needs. You do understand now, that this person will be our greatest enemy in our path.”

“Our. ⸺Wait right there. I have not yet said whether I would go along with your plan or not.”

“I see I suppose I should give you some time. See you in tonight’s banquet.” Erebus spoke impulsively.

“I told you I am not attending it.” I spoke angrily.

“If you make me wait there, then I just might make up my mind to spend my entire night here.”

“Absolutely, that’s not happening.” I shouted.

“Don’t worry I don’t plan on raiding your bed. Then maybe you should start trusting me a little more. I am not your enemy.” Erebus puts his hand in front of me.

“But you never did mention that you are my friend either.” I turned my eyes away from him.

“So do you need one now?” Erebus asked without feeling down on being rejected.

“Of course not, because in the end none of this would matter.”

“Well, see you at the banquet.”

And just like that Erebus disappeared from my room in a blink of an eye.

***

 

THE BANQUET

Once Erebus left, I just couldn’t bring myself to take a proper rest. After all the next century of my life depended on the decision I make now.

The things that have happened to me in the past are not normal and while I do not remember most of them. I wanted to know, who saved me that day.

What they all mean to me? But what if the answer was just as cruel as my life has been till now?

And if it turns out that it’s really someone’s else fault that my life has been so miserable I wanted to give the same taste of it to them.

I was still deciding, while I waited outside the banquet hall for Erebus. It was one of the angels who guided my way here and some of my classmates were already present along with their gods. Most of them seemed like they were having fun and shared the kind of new abilities they got from teaming up with their god.

I actually came. Even when I had no reason to. Erebus was joking right? He wouldn’t really do that when I am asleep. He is a god, right.

But then again knowing him to be the god of darkness, why does even such a post exist in the realm of the divine in the first place? It was a bad match after all.

Without my noticing, a hand stealthily approached my shoulder from behind. When I turned to look, I discovered that it belonged to Erebus.

“What’s the deal you are not even surprised?”  Erebus looked unsatisfied since I might not have reacted the way he wanted.

“I doubt you would attack me here around everyone?”

“Do you distrust me that much?” It was the first time I might have seen Erebus looking disappointed.

"Not even a smidge. Anyway, I think the banquet has started. I want to get out of it as soon as possible."

The two of us hurried inside.

“Are you still scared of getting close to other people?” Erebus seemed like he was still finding ways to throw me off.

“That has nothing to do with you.”

Once all gods were seated on the table along with their contractees, and the angels served the food. Everyone looked happy and felt blessed to be in the Divine Realm.

I suppose not everyone gets this chance to talk and dine with the divine. So everyone was excited about it even if they all had lost their lives only today.

“I think, it's time things are going to get a bit serious here.” Erebus said as if he knew something was going to happen.

In spite of the delightful atmosphere at the banquet, it appears that not everyone can simply enjoy it without attempting to boost their own image at the expense of others.

A pair finally showed up late but they were mostly unrecognizable at the start and everyone started to make a fuss over it. To everyone’s surprise, it was one of the girls of my class and almost no one recognized her because of the change she underwent with her looks.

To the point, I felt as if her image coincided with the person I might have seen in my memory. I must be too tired after all.

Everything moved fine until one of the delinquent girls tried to secretly harm the girl they always bullied. And all of them had a very egregious personality.

But this time out of everyone’s exception things went differently than they might have planned. The goddess partner of that girl tried to protect her in earnest until the delinquent girl had no choice but to back down.

And after they left, the banquet no longer remained an enjoyable place as things became awkward and the delinquent girls without learning their lesson started making revenge plans.

Seeing this as my queue and taking that the banquet had ended I decided to leave and Erebus followed after me.

“I thought those things would be right up your alley?” I said to Erebus.

“I am not the kind of person who would unnecessarily try to hurt someone.”

“Is that so.”

Does that mean it is fine for him to hurt others if he has a reason!?

“So, do you plan to participate in tomorrow’s forest hunt for monsters? It could be a good way to test your powers.” Erebus asked.

“It does not concern me. Besides both you and I know what they are planning to do.”

“Don’t you want to do anything about it? Seems to me like you were intently stealing gazes at her. Don’t tell me you are interested…” Erebus chuckled; his face slightly puffed.

“Your eyes must be getting old. Besides I have no right to save someone. It's better if I don’t get involved or close to anyone.”

“Then it seems like we have found ourselves ample time while no one notices us.” Erebus came up with a totally new activity once I denied going to the hunt game.

“Time for what?” I asked sulkily.

“To make you powerful of course. I am sure you have heard by now how some others have forged their contract by several means and attained their unique skill.”

“So, how do you do that, by singing on some sacred bond or taking an oath?” I asked not expecting a very bright answer.

“Those are some of the simpler ways, but in the divine realm from every word you speak and action you take there is a meaning behind it. And depending on the type of contract you forge; the power of your skill might vary with it.”

“So, you say we should have trust between us.”

“Exactly.” Erebus affirmed.

“I cannot trust someone who is trying to use me without telling me why I would need to get stronger. You also said that I am the only one who can do this job. But you still want me to get stronger. Is it possible that you don’t have faith in yourself that the skill I may obtain from our contract won’t be powerful enough?” I finally tried to get back at Erebus.

“Now that’s suspicion beyond thinking. I have full confidence in my powers, the problem is with your mortal constitution.”

“⸺What?” I felt like I just shouldn’t leave this topic behind and discuss it right away.

“Unique skills are an expression of god’s power. Simply trying to get a chance to use it will not make you the strongest in the world which I want you to be.”

“So, you want to say humans cannot utilize the full potential of the god’s power granted to them.” I surmised from Erebus’s words.

“Right again. You may have to train yourself for centuries non-stop to get that power, or you unlock the power through a life-changing event or by some miracle. And someone like me hates to believe in those kinds of uncertainties, so I would rather you go with a third option which is more definite.”

“And what is that?” What Erebus said did make sense to me, but I knew with the expression he made it was not going to be an easy way.

“A catalyst. You get yourself a medium to conduit my power through you and strengthen it even further. There are weapons in the divine realm so strong that they can change the laws of the world. They are called the principium weapons and only those with authority can wield it.”

“So, are you the one who is going to get me a weapon now? At least let me ask you to pick up something cool for me.” I said haughtily.

“Not me dear. Not even I have the power to wield such weapons, they are so special that having one can grant you the power to destroy a world just in a blink of an eye. So we are going to settle with an alternative, another weapon that you can wield and its power should be able to hold a candle against a principium weapon. But getting it won’t be that easy.”

“Thought so. So, this is going to be some kind of test for me for you to ascertain whether I am the right choice or not.”

Erebus kept quiet while smiling at me.

“⸺Fine I will do it.”

Erebus then started to strangely look at me.

“I never thought you would agree so easily.” Erebus was surprised at my sudden acceptance.

“What do you want me to change my mind now?”

“Of course not. I am happy that we have finally something to agree upon. So, it's decided tomorrow while everyone is away, we will head to that place where your weapon lies in wait. I will come tomorrow to take you there myself.”

"So, is it located in some sort of secret place?" I admitted my ignorance, but the idea of obtaining a mythical weapon from a hidden, mystical location sent my heart racing. It would be exactly something she would like to do.

My face suddenly darkened on realizing that I thought of someone I didn’t even know.

“That is a secret. I am not going to tell you anything until we get there.” Erebus replied to my query and I stopped thinking all the same.

“Don’t you think I will have a higher chance if I know something and prepare beforehand?” I tried to be reasonable with Erebus.

I couldn’t say whether he was being careful in telling me about the place or was just being weird.

“Unfortunately that’s not how it works. Once you get there you will understand what I mean. So, instead, would you like to know how us gods form a contract with you.”

“I have a feeling you won’t let me rest until you tell me.” I sighingly said.

“Well, there are several ways. The simpler ones are signing a contract or an oath. But those always turn out to be the weakest ones. Then there are other stronger ways by exchanging blood or getting closer to each other. Or something as gentle as a kiss.”

The moment I heard those methods, I quickly backed off and got as far away as possible from Erebus.

“So, you weren’t joking that time?”

“Of course not. Us gods can never lie after all our words hold meaning and authority. But you don’t have to worry, because my specialty lies in curses.”

“A curse?” I mumbled to myself.

“So, Kenta, my friend, under what kind of a curse would you like to form a contract with me.”

***

 

KENTA KAZUKI

After I returned back to my room, I could not think of anything else after being so tired and I quickly fell to sleep.

On the next day, just as Erebus promised, he appeared in my room.

“I have confirmed and made sure that everyone goes to the hunt game. Now it’s time for us to head to our destination.” Seemed like Erebus planned for us to disappear while everyone was busy with other stuff.

One thing was for sure, that Erebus looked more excited than me for this.

“Are you ready?”

Before I could reply or ask Erebus how did he plan to get there. He grabbed my hand and we instantly disappeared from my room.

Holding my chest tightly I land on the unseen ground. A gurgling rush in my stomach almost made me fall down in surprise.

“At least you could have given a warning before warping me for the first time.”

“It’s funny to see how you humans have always been so fragile and still act so tough.” Erebus gave little care to my complaints.

“So where are we exactly?” I looked around only to find tall trees surrounding us. And in a clearing in front of me stood a giant iron gate.

The spectacular thing about the gate was that it was not surrounded by walls. In its place beyond the gate was a shadowed empty area that I could not see. And the entire realm looked empty with only the two of us.

“We are in the sanctuary of Vulcan. It is said that during the Great War, he succeeded in making a weapon that could rival the principium weapon.”

“So what happened to him? Is it really safe to leave such an important weapon here?” I asked erratically, overwhelmed by my sights.

“Most probably the Divine System snuffed him out before he could find a perfect wielder. In the last of his records that I could trace back he hid the weapon right here before disappearing for good.”

“So, has anyone been able to try out that weapon before?” I asked.

“Unfortunately not. According to his records, he asked several gods, demon lords, and heroes of that age to try out his weapon but none of them could ever gain control over it. The only said fact remains that the weapon consumed their souls.”

Erebus delivered all this information without holding himself back or giving a thought to my well-being.

“Why do you look so pale? Wouldn’t telling all this to you would make you trust me more.” Erebus said sounding so sure of himself.

“Right now it’s having the exact opposite effect.” To me, it almost felt like Erebus actually wanted me dead again.

“Any idea what’s there inside?” I asked for the last time.

“No clue. The record did not mention it except for the weapon lying in wait there for its rightful wielder.”

“And how will that be decided.”

“In my knowledge if it is a weapon based on the foundation of the principium weapon. Such weapons have a consciousness of their own. It's highly likely that the weapon will attempt to exert control over you. To establish dominance over such a weapon, you must take control of it before it gains control over you.”

“Right… Any piece of advice before I go in.” So, I'm expected to know how to do this as if I do it every day.

I had hoped a god would be more confident and elaborate when guiding someone.

“Just do your best. I will wait for you as long as you take to come back. But don’t expect me to wait too long.” Erebus waved at me as I walked to the door.

I doubted whether I could even shake the doors with my bare hands. But before I could worry about how to open it. The gates started to move on its own.

All the decades of dust that had collected over it started to bustle and fall. The earth shook until the gates finally stopped.

Back then I do not know what prompted me to walk into that looming darkness ahead of me.

Perhaps it was the thought that after my death I had nothing to lose here.

However, it had completely slipped my mind that there is no return from the abyss.

***

 

KENTA KAZUKI

The sun's rays stung my eyes, compelling me to squint. With an instinctual response, I attempted to close my eyes momentarily to shield them from the overwhelming intensity of the sunlight. Gradually, my vision adjusted, as I tried to look around me.

I was standing on a road made out of cement. I was also surprised by how close the ground was to my eyes.

Tall buildings in front. And behind my back was the entrance of a huge hospital.

Looking around I was sure I was searching for someone. The person who brought me here.

“Kenta, are you alright? Are you looking for someone?” A woman's voice, gentle yet urgently familiar, called out my name.

As I turned to look at the person, I saw her holding a huge bag on her shoulder and in the other hand, she tightly held my right hand.

It almost felt like I was suddenly forgetting something. Something I was meant to do. But then again standing under the open sun was killing me and felt totally unbearable.

“Are you ready to go?” the woman asked placing a hat on my head.

“Go where.” I innocently asked.

“My apartment. It’s not a big place, but it will be your new home.” The woman smiled and said.

“Yes, Aunt Rei,” I spoke the woman’s name as if I had known her for a very long time.

After all, today marked the day when Aunt Rei adopted me following my discharge from the hospital.

***

 

 ̄\_(ツ)_/ ̄ SUPPORT ME IN MY WRITING ̄\_(ツ)_/ ̄

Everyone who is reading my novel and loves Alicia on her exciting adventures in this new fantasy world.

Thanks a lot for all your support! It really means a lot to me.

Till now I have published from volume one to volume eight for free. And I hope to continue to do so even now. It has really been an exciting work for me to narrate you the story of our main character who fights her way to the bottom of abyss with her magic and skills and then eventually storms in the outside world.

Keeping the text error free takes a lot of revisions and consumes time, but no work is ever perfect. With your support and reviews I know that I have improved a lot in my writing.

You can support my writing by reviewing my book on the platform you are reading.

And even now I am asking for a bit more that if you voluntarily support my writing.

 .

Patreon page Link (read 5 chapters in advance) - https://www.patreon.com/noelelitia

Paypal link - Click Here

Join discord community - https://discord.com/invite/WUGFUxbpbd

 .

I hope that you keep enjoying my work and in knowing the interesting characters which will be constantly introduced to you in the story.

I hope that the next chapter too proves to be to your liking!

Happy Reading Everyone!!!

14