Chapter 11– The Mass Weapons
403 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I relied on my instincts and running speed to search for Romeo and Damian in this vast underground labyrinth. Kyle was tasked with remembering the path so that we could safely escape if the situation turned dangerous.

There was not much room in this dungeon. Although it was confusing at first, I think I already understand this place. Although at first glance it looks the same. But the stone floor had a difference. I just need to step in a cleaner area, with less dust. It was a sign that the knights of Rasputin often walked that road.

I found several rooms, some of which were empty. Some of the others contained the bodies of the dead Shadows strewn around. It must be Romeo and Damian's doing. We have to hurry up and get out of this place because soon Rasputin will notice the intruder and caught us.

The scout bats saw us and squealed in turn. Kyle was busy shooting them so they couldn't report anything to the Rasputins. But the number of arrows was limited, so I had to stop occasionally to pick them up from the carcasses of the bats.

I still carry Kyle on my back. He was reluctant at first but I insisted. He might be affected because I was a girl. But I won't allow anyone to underestimate me just because I was a girl.

I also used my ears well. When I heard the sound of bats screeching loudly apart from above our heads—that meant it was probably other intruders. Namely Romeo and Damian.

"Over there!" Kyle whispered to me, we heard bats making noise in the north.

I found Sir Romeo and Damian killing the shackled Shadows. Kyle shot the bats quickly and accurately. He never missed a shot. Even if he were riding a horse. He would be Florence's best archer later, I have to make sure his abilities improve.

"Sir Julian?" Romeo looked relieved to see me. He probably thought I was dead. I didn't think I could make it this far.

"Are you all right?" I lowered Kyle to the ground and found the knights completely unharmed.

They only killed the shackled Shadows. We also sneak into this Dungeon at night and at times they didn't expect so the guard was pretty loose.

"So, these Shadows were the one you call weapons of destruction?" Damian confirmed.

Previously he underestimated me. But now when one by one my "predictions" were proven, he wanted to hear my opinion. Well, I couldn't be sure but I did know that it wasn't the Shadows who weakened Florence's knights in the past.

"I guess we should keep looking in another room, I'm sure this isn't what we're looking for," I shook my head.

Romeo didn't seem to be listening. I realized he was looking behind my back. Even though I threw it away. I finally felt like I had to pick it up again. It was like there's a bond between me and the sword that I think will make it hard for me to sleep if I leave it in this place.

But sir Romeo didn't seem to comment other than just looking thoughtful for a moment before turning his attention back to his mission.

"We're moving again then. You just follow us behind," Romeo asserted himself as the leader.

There were still several other rooms in this place. But we couldn't rummage through everything. Romeo gave a time limit until dawn to finish everything. At least we could kill hundreds of Shadows. It was a pretty significant victory even though the war at the Tavern hadn't really started yet.

We entered the next room. In contrast to the room that smelled fishy because it was inhabited by Shadows, we smelled a strong smell of medicine and herbs in there. We also saw piles of rice, wheat, spices and candied fruit. All are non-perishable foodstuffs.

I saw a room similar to a kitchen complete with a stove and firewood which was also briefly used. There were pots there that were empty but I could still see the leftovers or dried soup in there.

We vampires didn't have a kitchen. We didn't cook. We only drink blood. Even if we had a similar place in our mansion—usually it was just some kind of abattoir where we harvested blood for our family's consumption.

Sometimes I also want to taste their vegetables, fruit or soup but my stomach refuses. My tongue will immediately turn bitter if I touch it a little. We were vampires, so that was not a problem for us. We were not jealous. But the point was, vampires didn't need everything in this room.

Rasputin's Vampire was plotting something here. And it has to do with humans.

I turned to look at the other corner of the room. There were wooden crates that had been closed. It looks like it contains food stuff. All of this will be sent to the humans. Because the vampires couldn't taste it at all.

"I think I understand," Romeo stirred the rice that was in a straw sack. When he raised his hand, I saw a bluish hue clinging to his skin.

"This food has been poisoned," said Romeo.

"Are they going to poison the humans?"

I saw Kyle approach and also stir his hands between the food. He raised his hand but there was no reaction whatsoever on his skin.

"That food can only poison vampires!"

"But vampires don't eat all that!" I chimed in.

In my old memory, the wooden crates were indeed delivered to the human settlement from the bars in this town. What did these foods contain? Not a weapon? Then why did Florence's vampires fall dead after this?

"This food will have no effect on human health, they target the vampires," Romeo concluded.

"How to?"

"Rasputin's commander named Rutherford is a Scientist, he must have made something in this food..making it non-toxic to humans but turning their blood into poison for vampires. This food will be consumed by the humans who live around the Tavern. The base of our allies and the donor's blood supply that feeds us. it was Rutherford's way of killing us without us knowing," Romeo explained.

We were all stunned. This was a big discovery.

"Good job sir Julian, I made sure your commander knows about your contribution," Damian patted my shoulder showing his appreciation.

I smile. I could totally do this. Little by little they would know my name. I was able to get closer to the commanders and advance my career. Even though I almost died from this, it's all worth it.

"We should bring some of this food as samples..we're going to check all the food our allied humans eat," Romeo muttered. Then he looked at me.

"And you, sir Julian. I need to talk to you seriously about that sword on your back," said sir Romeo while looking at me with his charming eyes.

12