Chapter 16 – The Hunted Lady
339 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Thank you. I will immediately take this cow to the knights. Have a nice day," I nodded and smiled while holding the reins of a large, anxious-looking cow. It knows it didn't have much time to live, but we pureblood vampires know how to calm down our potential victims. That was by looking into their eyes.

"Is that enough, sir? Are you sure you don't need our blood?" A sweet lady asked.

"Not now, madam..Florence's vampires had gotten used to not drinking human blood every day. Cow blood is enough for us tonight," I shook my head politely.

The trip to Taverin was still about three days away. We deliberately set our pace not to be too fast. That was one of our strategies. The generals decided that we and the other elite knights would not descend first on the battlefield. We would not waste our energy to face Rasputin's weak army.

We camped in the forest, far from human settlements. But once in a while I was told to visit a nearby village to buy their best cattle. Drinking the blood of wild animals sometimes was not very comfortable in our stomachs. Sometimes we also wanted to drink the blood of cattle kept in human cages.

"We feel safe knowing the knights of Florence are all around us. How long will you stay here?" The middle-aged lady asked with a twinkle in her eye.

"Oh, is Rasputin bothering you?"

"No, but we're starting to hear rumors that some of the surrounding villages are getting overrun by them. And they're starting to cast a deadly lottery for them," the lady spoke with quivering lips.

I didn't smile, as Florence I was used to interacting with them. But back then I didn't really sympathize. Because as lady Dubois I live in a big house, and only befriend vampires. It was only when I became a knight that I learned to know humans—not just as our food source.

They were similar, their physique was not much different from ours. Only appetite and physical strength were different. We also live longer. When they were fifty, to vampires it was the equivalent of twenty.

For thousands of years, humans have lived in fear. They were hunted and became a source of food for the vampires. They rely heavily on the knights of Florence at this time and try to please us. Because only we could protect them.

The 'lottery of death' was the term for the way the vampire Rasputin determines their victims. Every three days they would send someone to human villages and towns. Then force them to take a random lottery. No exception, young or old, healthy or sick, all must take the lottery.

Whoever was chosen must go to their prison, to be presented as prey to the vampires.

The humans supported us to seize the states controlled by Rasputin, so that they could escape the lottery. In exchange they would provide volunteer donors. We would draw their blood in a safe way and not to the point of killing them.

But this was not easy for Florence. Because the Vampire Rasputin was very strong. They only drink human blood, unlike us, who drink animal blood more often. In my past life, I never even drank human blood for almost five years. That was surprising for me, I didn't know I was able to hold my thirst that long. But I became too weak. I guess my victory against two pureblood Rasputins yesterday was due to luck. Maybe without Apollon I would have gone back to Dubois' mansion in Lapella in a coffin.

This war was not a game. I couldn't underestimate this just because I knew about the future. The faces of these humans will haunt me into the afterlife if I fail.

"Sir?" The lady rebuked. My day dream was shattered.

"We may not be here long, milady. Have a safe and pleasant day," I nodded, then I herded my cow away.

I returned to meet the elite Jaguar knights with these big brown haired cows. It was our dinner. I sighed a little in my heart because I felt I couldn't fully adapt to them. Apart from Romeo, the other knights tend to keep their distance from me.

"Tie the cow over there, Julian," Damian told me. As a newly joined knight, and a protégé of their commander—they treated me like an errand boy.

But I was not here to be an errand boy. The war in Taverin was about to break out and I didn't feel strong enough yet. Even if I had Apollon. Romeo hadn't taught me enough. When we rested, he mostly sat on the grass and polished his Demetria sword. Like this time.

I drew Apollon's sword and pointed it at his head.

"Train me, sir," I said while glaring at him.

"Well, what just happened to our Julian? Did something just happen in the human village?” He smirks a little. I respect him. But I didn't like how easily he belittled me.

"The war is about to start, you said I would be an important asset to Florence. But if I'm not strong enough, I might die before I can properly use this weapon," I said, a little emotional.

I did not deny it, if I felt burdened. I felt that the future destiny of Florence and her allies depended on me alone. Because god sent me to redo my life when I should be dead.

"Did you smell something?" He asked.

"You want to change the subject again, sir Romeo?" I said.

"No, smell your own clothes, Julian! How long haven't you showered?" He criticized me.

"Did we need to think about taking a bath when we were about to face the enemy?" I realized that I was stubborn. I was also a little embarrassed because I haven't showered in a few days. I travel with men. I couldn't sneak into the women's bath. I wasn't in the barracks. I thought I could shower when I got to the Taverin.

"You have to teach me now! That's the only reason I'm coming with you! But why am I just doing petty chores!" I feel emotional. Romeo looked at me angrily.

"Don't talk back to your commander, Julian. I warn you, there are no second chances," he said sharply.

He stood and still looked at me. I got a little squeamish about it. He was quite tall, I had to tilt my head up to see his nostrils.

"How and when I teach you is my decision as a teacher. Don't be arrogant just because you have Apollon's sword. If you die, that sword won't care about you. Maybe he'll find a new owner soon, Jasper Dubois for example? or any other member of the Dubois family," he told me.

"I'm sorry, sir," I said halfheartedly.

"Take a shower first," he said.

"What? No need, sir. I'm comfortable like this," I shook my head.

"Clean yourself up, this is your commander's orders," he looks at me sharply.

I was silent. I couldn't take a bath. Did he ask me to bathe in the river like the other knights? I couldn't do that!

"Oh I see, we have a rebel here," he smirks.

"Sorry sir, but—" I tried to make up an excuse but my tongue went numb.

"I'm allergic to river water, sir!" I was frustrated. Was there any kind of allergy like that?

"Hey Damian! Edgar!" Romeo called. He clearly didn't believe my reasoning.

They obediently approached Romeo. The attractive knights were not wearing tops. They were still waiting for the clothes to dry. I could see almost everything. But I guess I'm too used to it. As expected, my eyes had been too polluted, I really couldn't get married.

"This new kid needs a bath, strip him and throw him in the river," said Romeo.

I was shocked and my eyes widened. My heart was beating hard.

"Interesting, hey Julian. You shouldn't have angered our commander," Damian smacked his fists ready to catch me.

"I do not want to!" I dodged to escape.

"All right, Julian! This will be one of your practices. I'm giving you time until the sun goes down. You will hide, and we will find you. If you get caught they'll throw you in the river," Romeo laughed.

I know, this kind of thing was often done by fellow male knights. Maybe Romeo and the rest of the Jaguar team find this a funny prank. But not for me. They couldn't know that I was a girl.

If caught when I was a low-ranking soldier—they could punish me. Or send me back to Lapella. That means I couldn't help win this war.

I won't let them win. I turned and ran as fast as I could. I would not allow myself to be caught so easily.️

.

11