Chapter 23 – The Dubois Mansion (2)
280 4 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arthur Dubois hides his true face from the world. He was considered a wise and generous noble, always smiling and ready to help anyone. He was a respected leader and was able to bring the state of Lapella even further to fame for its prosperity.

But he carried a burden on his shoulders. The name Dubois has been around for centuries. They were descendants of one of the world's first vampire families. Arthur inherits the title of Duke and must ensure that his territory continues to prosper. Lapella was one of the first areas to employ humans on a par with vampires. That's why they supported Florence.

They were not famous for being strong or producing tough knights. He himself was more educated as a businessman and academic. There were already too many knights, even though the world also needs a thriving economy. Dubois gave a lot of gold to the Alliance of Florence. But he himself did not refuse Rasputins who wanted to work or study at Lapella. He even occasionally did business with the Rasputin Vampire.

The Dubois family's unwillingness to be hostile, weak but economically advantageous made them rarely bothered by Rasputin. They did not force Dubois to join because so far they had been quite easy to work with. Except weapons and human trade, Arthur was willing to trade anything with Rasputin.

But in the last two years the situation has changed. One of the maids spread rumors that Jasper Dubois wasn't really a weak heir. Arthur didn't dispute it and said that their son was physically weak but he was smart and did well in the academy. Dubois brought in professors to teach Jasper. Meanwhile, Juliet attended the academy like any other child.

But many high-ranking military Rasputin find the rumors interesting and want to meet with Jasper. Arthur had to use all his resources to prevent the encounter. He was worried. No matter how dangerous Jasper was—he was his son. Unfortunately Jasper's physical condition might be considered special for the Rasputins.

But the stubborn Arthur insisted on protecting his son. He was powerful enough to forbid Jasper from appearing in public. But that only increased Rasputin's curiosity.

He knew he couldn't keep Jasper at home forever. At Juliet's sixteenth birthday—Jasper made his first public appearance. He behaved perfectly as a future Duke. He smiled and was broad-minded. He didn't look like the young man who had been hidden in Dubois' majestic mansion for twenty years.

Arthur and Veronica had made sure their special son drank enough blood so he was calmer and sane at that time.

Rasputin who finally met him—repeatedly sent letters to the Dubois residence. They openly invited Jasper to join Rasputin. Lapella was the territory of Florence. Arthur didn't want conflict. But they had managed to expose Jasper's secret.

They know that Jasper, who was a Florence, turns out to only drink human blood.

They want to know why. They want to reveal his secret.

Whatever Arthur did to resist it—they would push harder. Arthur also guessed that one day, the military route would be Rasputin's choice. Especially in times of war like today. Florence was too busy occupying other lands to neglect defending the existing territories.

Rasputin was still making subtle efforts. Including writing letters to Juliet. Her daughter was now eighteen years old. He was past the age of marriage and Arthur was getting tired of selecting Juliet's future husband. Of the dozens of engagement applications he received. More than half were from Rasputin.

They really hoped Dubois would join Rasputin. But Arthur was reluctant to hand over his son and daughter to the enemy. But he was also aware that his continued refusal would lead to a bloody clash that cost Lapella.

Marriages between Florence and Rasputin were not uncommon. It's just that usually the wives have to succumb to go with their husbands. That means that if a Rasputin catches Juliet's heart and marries her—his daughter must live with the Rasputins. Her guards also reported that Lady Juliet was almost kidnapped by the Rasputins. They didn't care about her status as the daughter of a Duke. Jasper too, was no different. He who could only drink human blood would probably forever be on Rasputin's side if he was comfortable there.

Although different and dangerous, Jasper was still his heir. Meaning that Lapella would probably fall to Florence's side when Jasper became Duke.

Arthur massaged his forehead. Almost half a year ago he made a difficult decision. His daughter—who was supposed to be ready for marriage—was sent to join the military. Maybe a year or two was enough. He wasn't sure he could keep Juliet away from Rasputin's mens who might approach her just to get Dubois to side with Rasputin.

At least by being in war and living as a man—she would be safe. No Rasputin would tempt her let alone kidnap her for marriage. And she was surrounded by formidable knights who protected her from Rasputin. He would also live a humble life invisibly under the tutelage of his cousin and commander Florence—Theodore Dubois. Theo promises to make sure Juliet is safe and won't go to war to harm her. A pentagram necklace with magic that he had painstakingly obtained from another continent would also hide her identity as a girl.

But why did his plan deviate from what it should have been? Why did Juliet who was easily crying and so reluctant to go to war now join the elite knights??

Theodore reported regretting his omission.

"While Juliet was at headquarters, I never reprimanded her. She didn't know I was watching her..believe me she never looks excited about her duties as a knight. But in the last two months her career has accelerated because she helped find Rasputin's secret lab. The generals already know her name so I can't use my influence anymore. it's up to them now," Theo explained.

Veronica sat down with her body shaking while squeezing the hem of her clothes. Jasper put his arm around her shoulders as he listened intently.

"We just wanted to hide Juliet, until we found a potential husband-to-be for our fellow Florence nobles who could be strong enough to protect her. I didn't think we could lose her," Veronica sobbed.

"If it's just protecting her, I can do it Mother! Why do you need to do all this drama to even make Juliet feel abandoned by her family?!" Jasper was furious.

"You don't understand. The Rasputins want Lapella! They also expect you to join Rasputin, Jasper. If you two are really brought to their side-"

"Mother! I will not easily join Rasputin!"

"I heard on Rasputin's Side there are some vampires like you Jasper, how if they persuade you?" Veronica sobbed.

"Monsters like me?"

"No, Jasper..You're not a monster, you're just born special," Veronica touched her son's worried face gently.

"But I'm afraid, if you feel comfortable there—we might choose to switch alliances. but as leaders of Lapella we can't be selfish..the majority of Lapella's people support Florence, so—" Veronica said.

"What do you suggest uncle? Obviously father's plan failed. We have to bring Juliet home," Jasper turned to Theodore.

"He's been watched by General Maxwell, he even knows she is a girl. I told him, but he doesn't care, he says that Juliet has become an important asset. The generals observed her mission and they couldn't possibly allow her to return home. If that happens, the dubois Family will be blamed for the accusation of supporting deserters," Theodore said seriously.

"It's my fault, I didn't think that Juliet actually took her duties as a knight seriously," Theo said again.

"Then I'll be going there, uncle," Jasper said firmly.

"Jasper!" Veronica said furiously.

"I'm old enough to decide that Mother, I will protect her until the war is over!" Jasper insisted again.

"Theo, you know Jasper's condition. He can't drink donor blood. He drinks blood the Rasputin way. You have to help him with that," Arthur said, glaring at him.

"Father, so you allowed me to-"

"Arthur! Jasper didn't-"

"Veronica! I should have decided this a long time ago. Hiding won't solve the problem. Jasper is a duke candidate! Rasputin feels that they can control Lapella because they know we're not strong enough to fight back. Therefore, Jasper..this time your father allowed you to join the military. Give us a resounding victory and bring Juliet home alive. Show the Rasputins that the Dubois are not a family to be underestimated. Don't be seduced by Rasputin, Jasper. .You have to remember that you are a Florence, no matter how similar you are to them."

"But—" Veronica sobbed again, she wiped her tears.

"Veronica, you know that no vampire can kill Jasper. At least you can rest easy about that," Arthur said again.

13