Arc X Chapter 6
2.6k 26 102
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

IX


━━━━━━┓┏━━━━━━


Arc X Chapter 6


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


Guarded by her retinue of selected Ame-nin, Asami spent her time, as every so often in life, waiting, waiting for the Fire Daimyo to receive their delegation.

 

In a poor display of diplomatic politeness and manners, His Grace made them wait before entertaining them, before His Grace deemed them unworthy of his immediate attention, but such was reality.

 

Amegakure only qualified as a minor village in terms of prestige and power, a dwarf among giants. Considering Amegakure's status, They were lucky to be even granted an audience with the lazy bastard. It took weeks to arrange their visit. And now it took hours to be received.

 

Whether their treatment was intentional, or not, either way, his actions didn't demonstrate proper etiquette. In fact, their treatment bordered on the realm of diplomatic slights. Entire wars were fought for pettier insults, but magnanimity prevailed.  

 

Asami sipped on her warm tea after nibbling on an arrangement of biscuits and pralines. At least, they adequately provided for in terms of victuals and beverages. That was something. Confectioneries cheered Asami up. Meanwhile, Katsuki treasured her prized bowl of milk.

 

Eventually, a court official appeared. “Lady Miyumi, His Grace is willing to receive your delegation. You may enter now.“

 

“How fortunate.“ Asami grinned. Finally. Hours of waiting and massacring innocent biscuits ultimately paid off.

 

The delegation prepared itself. Yuki accompanied her, walking at her side.

 

Yuki looked anxious with her pulse was running high.

 

Asami took Yuki by her hand. “Don't be nervous, Yuki. Everything will be fine. Nee-san is there for you.“

 

Her words elicited a weak smile from a mildly blushing Yuki, successfully reassuring her. Together, they were the perfect example of wholesome sisterly love. They even shared the same outfit, the same kimono, and the same hairstyle, a cute yet practical ponytail.

 

Asami leaned closer, whispering into Yuki's ears. “And don't forget, today I am your dear Miyumi.“


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


Shikaku, Konoha's chief strategist and official head of the Nara clan, had experienced better days. Today wasn't one of them.

 

Annoyance was written all over his face after spending a good portion of his morning waiting until a certain ill-mannered daimyo remotely considered receiving them.

 

“...“ Shikaku folded his hands, grumbling. What a drag.

 

Hiashi displayed a higher degree of patience: His fellow emissary and head of the Hyuga clan enjoyed his tea in typical stoic Hyuga calmness. Nothing fazed them. “You seem troubled, Shikaku. Take some tea. Tea helps to calm the nerves.“

 

Shikaku politely declined. “Hiashi, I am not much in the mood for tea ... Especially, not today.

 

Not only are we here to beg for money because our glorious village elders have nobody better to send, but His Grace makes us also wait like idiots ...“

 

Hiashi inspected his tea. “Calm down, I doubt it's intentional. You know what people say, His Grace suffers from a ... eccentric personality. He was always quite the carefree person, not caring much about protocol and decorum.“

 

“I guess ... you are right.“ Shikaku despaired. The Fire Daimyo and proper and decorum. Two good friends with history.


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


Together, Asami and Yuki strutted down the corridor, approaching the throne room.

 

A happy Yuki trailed along like a faithful kitten with Katsuki safely in her arms ...

 

Voices. A series of voices caught Asami's attention as their steps drew closer. They were apparently not alone, not the only delegation scheduled.  

 

Asami turned and a single thought surfaced.

 

... ... ...

 

Asami was not amused.


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


Together, Shikaku and Hiashi followed the court official, making their way towards ...

 

Shikaku spotted another delegation ahead of them, also here for an audience. A group of Ame-nin protecting two girls. The two girls looked cute together. Probably sisters, judging by their matching outfit and similar looks. The age difference also fit ...

 

The old sister turned, and Shikaku's eyes widened in the fraction of a second. His blood froze. Oh ... shit ...


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


Their stares met. Beneath their calm façades, blank fear was written all across both their faces.

 

They recognised each other. They knew each other.

 

Asami maintained her polite smile, hiding her displeasure. Nobody told her a delegation from Konoha was expected. This was highly troublesome.

 

Shikaku, on the other hand, began sweating profusely. His hand. His forehead. No doubt, it was her. It was Asami. Of all people, it was her, the traitor! Here! Right now! Right here!

 

Asami smiled. Shikaku ... What was he doing here?

 

Shikaku was sweating. Why? What was Asami doing here, in the land of fire? Didn't she go into hiding according to their intelligence? The ANBU lost tracks of her months ago.

 

Asami kept smiling. Shikaku identified her, judging by his reaction. This was seriously bad. Caught so easily. He would report his Findings.

 

Shikaku paled, discovering new shades of white every second. Asami knew he knew. Her cold, innocent smile sent an unmistakeable shiver down his poor spine.

 

Asami pondered her options, all of them equally poor ...

 

Shikaku feared the worst. This was bad. They were fucked, truly fucked, royally fucked. They were dead. Deader than dead. Escape was futile ...

 

Both Asami and Shikaku were freed from their sudden stupor.

 

Yuki grew worried and tugged at neesan's kimono, startling her. “Nee-san. Nee-sa, you are spacing out.“

 

Asami noticed her lapse in attention and smiled. “Don't worry, my little Yukiepie, nee-san was just distracted.“

 

Hiashi elbowed Shikaku in the ribs. “Shikaku, what's the matter? What happened?“

 

Shikaku recuperated, hiding his anxiety at all costs. “Nothing. It's nothing.“

 

His words did little to reassure Hiashi. He didn't buy his weak deflection.

 

Asami took the opportunity and seized the initiative, approaching Shikaku with her most gentle smile. She didn't recognise him. She didn't know him. She never met him before in life. They were strangers, absolute strangers meeting for the first time.

 

Asami steeled her resolve and bowed. Her theatrical skills were once again needed. “Greetings, His Grace did not inform us about the presence of another foreign delegation, but I am delighted to greet you in the name of Amegakure. My name is Hattori Miyumi, daughter of Lord Masanari, current head of the Hattori. Together with my younger sister Yuki, we are speaking on behalf of the Hattori clan.“

 

Yuki imitated her precious nee-san and bowed, delivering a flawless execution.

 

Asami deployed her sweetest smile in her arsenal. She was cute and innocent. Don't mind her. Everything depended now upon her acting. “Whom do we have the honour to meet?“

 

Shikaku raised an eyebrow. Amegakure? Hattori clan? Nee-san? What ... what? Did he ... mishear?

 

While Shikaku hesitated, Hiashi took over. “Greetings, it is an honour to meet you, Lady Miyumi, Lady Yuki. My fellow friend, Shikaku, the head of Nara, and I, have arrived to represent Konoha's interests.

 

Asami looked amazed. “You are from Konoha?“

 

“Indeed.“ Hiashi offered a diplomatic smile, neither warm, nor cold.

 

“That's wonderful.“ Asami clasped her hands together overjoyed, much to Yuki's surprise. Nee-san was acting strange, very strange. Yuki had never seen nee-san ... this ... positive. It was very un-nee-san-like.

 

Asami beamed in full radiance and without the smallest hint of malicious intent. “This is the first time I meet people from Konoha.I am even privileged to meet the head of the legendary Hyuga clan. Father told me much about your village, your strength, your sense of duty and loyalty.

 

Konoha and Amegakure, we might have had our differences in the past, but I sincerely hope our villages will continue to coexist in peace, cooperation, and prosperity. Amegakure cherishes the friendship with such a noble village as Konoha.“

 

Hiashi nodded. “Likewise.“

 

...

...

...

 

Was this really Asami? Shikaku began to doubt.


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


 

 

102