Ch 8: Dad’s strength
5k 22 173
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Dad?" I say while sitting on the couch with my dad beside me, who is reading the morning newspaper.

"Yes, Tomomi?"

"What's your quirk?"

I visibly see my dad tense up and look at me straight in the eyes. His hands are trembling for a second before regaining his cold demeanor again.

[What's wrong with him?]

It's been another 5 months or so, and still... I have no idea of what his quirk is.

"Why do you ask Tomomi?" He questions me with a bit of fear in his eyes.

"I'm curious what quirks are!!! mom has stretchy hands so I wondered what your might be" In all honesty, I haven't researched a lot about dad, so most of my information comes from either him or the newspapers.

"..."

I wait in anticipation and see dad think for a while, you almost can see him imagining every single action and word that he might make from now since it involves me. But sincerely have no idea why is he so scared.

[Is his quirk villainous or something? I mean it would be funny since he is a cop but nothing to be afraid of!]

"I don't thi-"

"DAD! I want to know!!!" I don't let him finish since I'm pretty stubborn in getting him to answer me. He will eventually tell me anyways might as well do it as a child so I can take it into account from now on.

"..."

He thinks for a while while I just stare at him, his face twitches from time to time as if in frustration. He truly doesn't know what to do.

"Okay I'll tell you"

"Yay" I giggle while looking at him, generally, that would lighten the mood but he still has that cold expression on his face.

"I'm..." He hesitates a lot making me lean closer to him.

"Quirkless..."

"..."

[what]

I'm visibly shocked at the revelation, this is clearly not how I pictured everything going, and now I feel kind of guilty about how my dad reacts to my shocked expression.

[Okay damage control, Now, this man has no self confidence when it comes to his daughter so...]

I put my tiny hand on my chin and begin thinking about what he just said, or at least pretend to.

"Really?" I ask, he clearly flinches a bit at my inquisitive tone.

"...yeah" he says while looking down.

[Dammit Takeshi!!! don't make me feel this guilty dumbasss!!!]

"That's awesome!!!" I shout while spreading my arms into the air.

"What?" he's completely dumbfounded at my expression.

"You dad!!! you're awesome" I say while jumping from mi position and hugging him.

"How? wh-"

"You have beaten villains without a quirk!! that means you're really strong!!!" I say while flexing an arm, showing the non-existent muscles of 1 and half-year-old child.

"That's what you think?"

"Yes!! dad is awesome and now I know he's strong too!" I say.

[I'm almost flattering too much but he deserves credit where credit is due]

The look that my dad gives me makes me feel better, he's actually smiling widely and his shoulder straightens, he looks a bit less rigid than before.

[It seems I got a weight off his shoulder]

After a few seconds, he sighs in relief and gets to his usual cold demeanor. I talk to my dad for a while before going to sleep, but now with a bit more context and newfound curiosity for my dad specifically so I began researching.

= 2 weeks pass =

Now I understood a lot more things about my family, my mom didn't use her quirk because she thought it would scare me, she didn't want dad to feel more self-conscious, which is extremely cute.

As for who my dad is, I already had the idea that he was a police officer, apparently, he was the chief of police 2 years ago. he stepped down from the position because it was an extremely busy position and he wanted to raise his daughter.

[I mean who wouldn't want to raise me? right???]

As for his time as chief of police, it seems he was a very blunt man, Beffiting at least. Basically, he would personally go to the suspected are not only for investigation but also for villain subjugation.

[This is cool, but it does raise some questions]

The justice system is questionable at best since it was created when the first villains and heroes started appearing, heroes are just people who are qualified for a variety of tasks with the permission to use their quirk in a responsible manner.

[So... glorified Firefighters/police officers/Rescuers with the chance to use their quirk to do those task]

The license to use your quirk in the anime is a special one designed for people who are responsible enough to 'use it against people', that's the reason why is called 'hero license' specifically. There are other licenses that can authorize you to use your quirk for other stuff.

[Sooo there are firefighters with water quirks, construction workers with earth modeling, and even police officers with some sort of quirk to gather intelligence, like detective Naomasa or 'True man' like people like to call him]

It's just that heroes are supposed to be the full package without all the paperwork that the police force has to go through.

[Kinda makes me feel bad for dad... since he's quirkless]

The police force isn't viewed as anything more than cannon fodder here in this world. They do have their moments but their strength generally boils down to numbers and general discipline. But my dad is a symbol among police officers because of his strength, and I can attest to that.

= 3 days ago=

I asked my dad to give a demonstration on how he moves since in videos his movement are blurry to the point I thought he was actually lying that he had a quirk involving speed. He just agreed and lead me to the backyard.

The backyard is not that big but it is enough to make me think that we could hold a big party here, something I never considered before, there was a dummy for some demonstration that he was going to do about his speed, the dummy was made of straw and had a face painted on its head.

"Dad are you sure that your speed is replicable?"

"Yes I'm sure, some of the police officers that trained under me reach similar speeds, of course, I'm the fastest"

[I like how confident he is... even when the world kinda hates him for being a quirkless police officer]

People in this world are a lot more aggressive when it comes to differences between people, to the point that a good 15% of quirkless people decide to just 'kick the bucket' by themselves. My dad is shunned because he 'wants to be a hero without a quirk' or something, I think he just doesn't not care at all.

Interestingly, even the Hero Association kinda wanted the police force to have less power than them so they could get away with their 'child super soldier' stuff, so they organized 'matches' between police officers and Pro heroes.

Obviously, the result was always in the Hero's favor, but they stopped once my dad got there which I find funny, from his own words He 'Decked Beast Jeanist and Vlad King'. Sadly he didn't get to hit Eraser head because he forfeited.

[I mean Aizawa is basically quirkless against a quirkless person... How ironic]

"Tomomi are you listening?" My dad asked while I was staring blankly at the clouds.

"Ah... sorry I spaced out" I respond while looking at the ground, a bit embarrassed at how easily I get in deep thought.

"Okay... I will not repeat myself twice, so pay attention!" He starts explaining the basics of his movement.

"Hai!!" I say, I know he would repeat as many times it took but he still tries to be imposing.

"The basic premise of this move is easy, I needed to increase my speed drastically But only in short periods of time since maintaining high speeds will be impossible without quirks, I would rather call the robots that call themselves the Ingenium family for that..." I nod in agreement

[I guess that makes sense since you're quirkless it's better to have the burst of speed for the element of surprise]

"... There were many ways to go about this after all, but I decided for something simple, instead of 'running' I decided to 'skip' with all the force it took, it wasn't very useful at first because it was something I was already doing. Putting all of the force on one leg to propel yourself into the enemy wasn't that innovative after all, even if it cracked the ground with the force I could output..."

[Yeah that sounds something very normal, even I could figure that out, don't know about the crack the ground stuff but this is an anime world so the logic is already sketchy anyways]

"...After a few weeks of tinkering I came up with a simple solution, but it required something I never tried, immense leg speed, so I started running with weights until I could no longer feel my legs every day, once I got accustomed to the weight I just put even heavier weights. I repeated the process until my legs without weights could move extremely fast..."

[Ahhh yes, the rock lee training stuff... Since this is MHA I guess this also would kind of work here]

"... I needed to be able to move my legs extremely fast in order to increase the speed and distance of my 'skips', and then I just applied some basic logic, if one kick could get me extreme speeds for 5 meters, then what about 10 kicks?..."

[Wait isn't this...]

"Shave"

I barely caught it with my eye, but I saw it, My dad in less than a second kicked the ground 10 times and shootout in a straight line towards the straw dummy that had set up, seemingly materializing in front of it.

"Wow" I say mesmerized at the speed My dad punched the head of the straw dummy and it exploded, all the straws being scattered everywhere and getting yanked by the wind.

"THAT WAS AMAZING DAD!!" I say as I run to my dad, he just smiles and picks me up.

"That was Shave, by kicking the ground 10 times in a specific patterned you can achieve great speeds" He said while pointing out at the cracks in the backyard that he made from where he kicked.

"You destroyed that dummy!!! that was surprising" I say pointing out at the decapitated straw dummy.

"Speed is weight, so even when I didn't put any force on my punch I still delivered a devastating blow"

"he he he~" I chuckle at my dad's confidence in his strength.

[He fucking replicated Shave from the ground up!!! now that's a flex if I have ever seen one]

I know that shave had to exist since it was necessary for Luffy's speed from Gear 2 since it comes from replicating this technique. But I guess that it is already here.

[I don't have hope for the other arts from the marines since they are not used by anyone in the straw hats with the exception of Sanji's 'Skywalk' is the same thing as the 'Moonwalk']

Now I have some things to learn even from dad, my quirkless hero!!! I gotta make sure I'm prepared even for the worst.

173