The Power of Time and Award
720 2 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yo,

I'm back with the next chapter of Broken Shackles. You can read next 9 chapters of Broken Shackles now on my Patron page. The process is on my profile.

You can go to Patron website and search for 'Black Infinity 1289' and find my profile and page there. You'll see same profile picture on my Patron Page as well.

"Talking"

'Thinking'

"Familiar/ Ghosts /Goblins" talking.

'Familiar/ Ghosts/ Goblins' thinking.

'Parseltongue' or 'will/memories' being read or seen.

"Spell" being used.

Broken Shackles

Chapter 3

The Power of Time and Award

Harry took the hourglass into his hands. It's big enough to be the size of his fist. It had words inscribed on it and surprisingly, it was in English. He read it.

"I mark the hours, everyone, Nor have I yet outrun the Day. My use and value, unto you, Are gauged by what you have to."

He was confused by those words. He observed it closely. The sand was falling from one glass to another, as it would in any other hourglass. He saw two golden knobs on each side of the rings that were holding the hourglass. He got curious and turned the right one, once.

He felt as if everything is being reversed, and saw himself going back to the letter he read and back through the entrance to the inner Chamber. Everything stopped and he saw himself coming back to the inner Chamber and did all the things he already did.

He was enthralled by this. He did what he did again, once more, in front of his eyes. Still, he remembered it all. As he completed reading the letter, took out the ring, and accepted the Lordship of House Slytherin, he listened to all the things that already took place once more. He understood that this to be some kind of time reversal thing. As he moved to his current position, the Harry in front of him faded after the last sand grain in the top chamber of the hourglass fell to the bottom one.

"Ok, so this is some kind of time reversal thing. I did the things I did in the past hour, and I stayed here instead of fading. So this means, I can be at two places at one time. I should find its limitations then. Like how can I be seen or can I change things in that time. First I should find what this other knob represents. Better to test it and know if I can read in the reversed time and have the knowledge I gained in the past hours" he said and took a book from the shelf and moved a table to the corner of the room where he would not be seen by his other self when he turned time back.

The book read 'Uses of Magical Creatures when Dead' he opened it and turned the left knob once. He felt the same sensation of everything being reversed and this time, he went back out of the entrance. Which only made him understand that time this is more than the right knob. He saw time using Tempus before turning back and saw it to be 6 in the evening. He has already spent nearly 6 hours in the Chamber. He didn't feel that much time pass.

He cast the Tempus charm to find the time and was shocked at the result. It is 12 pm. He went 6 hours back. This knob on the left is 6 hours and the knob on the right is 1 hour. He felt giddy. He can have as much time as possible now. He should find the limit of this now, though. Is 6 hours the limit, or is there any higher limit? He read the book as the time passed and after 3 hours of reading, he felt hungry.

But poor him, he can't do anything. He can't go out, as he doesn't know how this affected his other self or the people around him. He made a note to have food when he did something like this next time around. He continued to read for the remaining time.

After 6 hours, he saw himself vanish again. He went to the great hall early at 7 pm and ate dinner in silence. He went back to the Chamber of Secrets to do his experimentation with the time-reversal thing but this time, he took some food with him, to eat if it is more than 6 hours if the time thing can turn back. This time before tinkering, he took his glasses from his dorm and put them in the pocket and turned the time back after reaching the Chamber.

He tinkered with the time turner thing as he named it, and found its limit to be 1 day or 24 hours. The right knob can be turned back 24 times or 4 times in the case of the left knob. Even if he tried to turn it back more times, he couldn't go back more than a day. So it has 24 hours or a day as a limit for the time turner thing, he deduced. He had a total of 3 days to read the book which he picked on Magical creatures and he read the book completely.

It is a large book which explained about different magical creatures from the rare to the most dangerous ones. After reading it, Harry got curious and checked the 'threat level' as the Ministry likes to call it of Mira. From what he read, to have a higher threat level of creatures, individuals need to get permission from the Ministry of Magic. She was classified as a 5X beast. The most dangerous level of threats. Harry didn't care.

This may not be required as she is his Familiar. Familiars are rare and people who have one will take it personally if they are asked by the Ministry to take their permissions to have one. Anyway, he should think about it and ask her about it later.

After his experimentation, he went back to his dorm to not raise any suspicions and took some books with him to read in the week off. He read about different magics and their uses and the magic which interested him most was the mind arts.

Occlumency and Legilamency, are the mind arts that are used for protecting and attacking one's mind. According to Salazar, the mind arts are used to glean information from someone without their knowledge, but the condition is to make and maintain eye contact. Through eye contact, the person can enter the victim's mind to extract the required information. He started the lessons on Occlumency to protect his mind from outside invasion.

The method inscribed in the book may be rather old, as he can think of ways it can be improved himself. So, he read about it and did some modifications he can from his experience, and knowledge from the muggle films, he saw a few times when he could peek from the holes of his closet door.

The book also explained that the wizards or witches who have Familiar will have a strong mind as their connection with their Familiar will protect them passively. He also found that he was a natural Occlumen when he experimented with the exercises.

A natural Occlumen is a person who has natural shields in their mind. He read the book thoroughly and created what he dubbed his variety of Occlumency.

In the book, there is this detailed concept called Mindscape. A place, in one's mind, which is created naturally because of their personality and upbringing. The book explained that it can be anything. It gave some examples like that of an Island or Volcanos or Forests.

He went into a deep meditation to find his Mindscape and after some time of searching, he found his Mindscape. It has a green 'Core' as he can't explain it in any other way in the middle. Its veins were spread out in all directions making it look like a forest and it is surrounded by water on one side, mountains on one side, volcanos on one side and storms with lighting in it on the other and to the side is a large stone with a large green Jewel and a Serpent inside. He touched it and with a bright light, his Familiar appeared in front of him.

"Ooh, what happened," he said with a mixture of shock and surprise.

"It seems you have established the mental connection between a familiar and Master, Harry," said Mira in the melodical voice.

"What connection?" he asked confused.

"What? You don't know. You see, all familiars and masters have some kind of connection between them. That is the reason why familiars can come to the help of their Masters when called for help or assistance. I thought you knew about this. Well, don't mind it. As you have established the connection, we can talk mentally instead of hissing to each other. It is how we talked to each other when we first met in the Chamber. Of course, we can hiss like other Parselmouth's if you want to" she said with a cheeky smile on her scally face.

"Ok. I understand. What are you doing now?"

"Me, I came to America to collect some material for you. You told me that your wand is not working or feeling different, right" he nodded at that.

"Yes, I can't feel the warmth I felt before. At least not that much. It decreased significantly. I can't find the reason why though"

"Well it might have to do with that screeching black mass" she added with a shudder and moved closer to comfort him. She can still remember the black inky form that rose from his forehead and screeching like a banshee. The corruptness and foulness of the creature still made her gut wrench in disgust.

"Whatever, I think I'm going to find one of my parent's wands and see if it suits me," he said with a shrug.

"Ya, maybe it might suit you. You do it. I'll be back when I find the materials and we can discuss what to do next" she said and vanished.

He sat on the grass and started to segregate his memories according to the book's instructions into good, bad and neutral categories. He sorted them all, he kept them deep underground below the green Core and took his worst memories which included his beatings and all the 'shoutings' at him by his 'relatives' and some horror movies he was forced to see to punish him by his relatives and made them surround his mental representation.

This took a significant amount of time and it took the rest of the nights of his week off to complete it. In the morning he continued to read more about the Occlumency and in the night he would practise it.

Another development that occurred is that Dobby successfully getting the job as a Hogwarts elf and other elf's accepted him. The excitable elf has come to his Dorm in the middle of the night to inform that and did a happy dance when Harry appreciated him for his work. He popped away before anyone could wake up.

Scene Break

In his free time, Harry also read through his year materials as his year-end exams are coming and he wants to achieve high grades this year, and prove himself, unlike last year where he and Ron were far behind Hermione. He wanted to fill that gap and prove that he is not a dumb fool to her and his professors.

He doesn't know why, but after his fight with the Basilisk and reading Salazar's letter, he wanted to be respected and not bullied by anyone. His ambitions, which he buried deep in his mind before had resurfaced. The things which made the sorting hat tell him that Slytherin was best for him.

Harry prepared for his year-end exams extensively which surprised his Housemates. He thought he read well for this year exams, and as the exams neared, no one asked him anything about his disappearances or the Chamber of Secrets. He was left alone for the time being and he enjoyed it a lot.

He would go to classes, then go to the Chamber and use his Time-Turner, which found some information about through research. When he found that it is actually called a Time-Tuned, he patted himself on the shoulder for his perfect guess. It is a big thing to have which has restricted use by the Ministry.

He kept his Time-Turner a secret and used it to study extra time. He is determined to achieve top grades and he is not going to fail this time. His determination and hard work paid off as he wrote his exams well. He felt as if his Slytherin side woke up. He found about the Time-Turner surprisingly in the Slytherin Library, in the Chamber of Secrets.

When he researched about this strange thing, he found a piece of rather interesting news. Apparently, Salazar has placed a Charm that replicates every book which has ever been placed in the Hogwarts library from its inception after Slytherin's death.

The charm not only keeps records of them, but it also adds a copy of the said book to the Library in the Chamber of Secrets as well. This means, all the books in Hogwarts not counting which were kept in House Common rooms and House personal libraries will have a copy in the library in the Chamber of Secrets.

This benefited Harry a lot. There are so many books in the library and its restricted section. There is a journal that is maintained about all the books in the library and their status in the library by the librarian at all times.

Due to Salazar placing the Charm on the whole library itself, all the books that are added and removed and later classified and added to the restricted section were also present. This allowed Harry to choose which book to read and their danger level.

The Hogwarts librarians would write reasons for such actions by the present Headmasters in detail and any incidents pertaining to taking such actions. Harry took note that Dumbledore restricted most of the books after he became headmaster. He didn't give it much thought but kept it in mind.

His ambitious side came to life when he saw so many books in front of him. He started reading as many books as possible. There are books on some subjects which he doesn't even know existed. When researched about them, he found that they were taught from third year and higher and some were discontinued. He took interest in Ancient Runes first.

'Claiming Slytherin Lordship might have woken up my ambitious side' thought Harry. That is a recent development he observed. He can feel the wards around him and when he wants to find someone, he can find them without any effort as if the castle is telling him about their location.

He can feel the connection he had with the Castle. He can feel every brick move and everything that happens. He can enter anywhere without any passwords and is aware of all the secret passages and rooms on all 7 floors. He felt safer and secured now than any other time in his life in Hogwarts after he became Lord Slytherin.

He thought about his housemates and house in general. When he thinks about his house, he felt as if he was betrayed by them. When he was found in the wrong place at the worst time possible, other houses mostly Hufflepuff and Slytherin blamed him for that. Hufflepuff can be understood, as they are loyal to their friends and Slytherin has the right, as he is claimed to be their heir and he is a Gryffindor to rub salt on a wound.

Because of Malfoy, he was generally hated in Slytherin and Ravenclaw remained neutral and just watched, which was better than bullying him and the Professors did absolutely nothing to stop anything. Mainly Professor McGonagall. Quite a Professor she is.

She is the head of his house, Gryffindor, the House of Lions, and did nothing to stop the rumours and don't talk about the bullying. She stayed silent like a statue and watched everything without taking any action. That made him rethink his decisions. He decided to come into Gryffindor so that he can have his first friends Ron and Hermione with him. But even they didn't support him when he is blamed for being the Heir of Slytherin.

Ron betray him instead of supporting him, which hurt Harry deeper than McGonagall ever did, and Ron is a Jealous idiot who couldn't stand the fame and money Harry had from their first meeting.

Harry hoped Ron would change and grow up and understand him. But Ron trashed all Harry's hopes by his betrayal and bad-mouthing him behind Harry's back.

And as for Hermione, she didn't betray him per se and helped him, but the condescending tone she used when talking to him and the way she dismisses his thoughts and ideas as if they were nothing was not something that portray her in a positive light.

But he will give her a chance as she helped him when he was blamed and called the Heir of Slytherin. He decided on the course of action he is going to take. A plan, which may be impossible for others, but he can do it without any problems.

Scene Break

Before Year-End Feast, Harry's Room

Harry was prepared to receive his award from the school for special services and prepared himself mentally by reinforcing his Occlumency shields and barrier to close his mind off in his Mindscape.

He readied himself and went to the Great Hall to receive his award. He reached the Great Hall to see all students seated at their respective House tables. His Slytherin Lord ring was invisible to keep it a secret.

All the Professors were looking at him with appreciation in their eyes, of course, except Snape. Snape looked as if he was told something particularly disgusting and to top off, he looked at Harry as if he kicked and killed Snape's puppy in front of him. Disgust, disdain add the angry sneer on his face, the expression on his face made Harry vomit.

Harry didn't think more about Snape though. He walked to his table and sat at the corner and did not talk with anyone. He ate his meal in silence. With a snap of Dumbledore's fingers, all the dishes vanished from the table and Dumbledore stood up from his throne-like chair and walked to the podium at the head table.

"May I have your attention, please. I have an important announcement to be made before we discuss the house cup" he said and got the full attention of all students.

"On this occasion, I would like to present Mr Harry Potter, with an award for special services for the school. It is approved by the Board of Governors and Hogwarts staff" Dumbledore said in a cheerful tone and got many gasps and shocked faces from all the 4 tables in response.

"As you all know, this year had not been an easy one with all the Heir of Slytherin and other accidents going on and around the school. Mr Potter has to go through so many things that may be seen as unreasonable to others. This award is given to encourage students like him who has a kind heart to help other students by putting their life on the line. I hope you can do wonderful things like this and achieve your dreams. Please come forward, Mr Potter" he said gesturing to Harry to come to the table. A trophy came with a shield before the podium. The trophy has Harry's name on it and the shield has his details on it. There are 2 parts to the award. The Trophy and the Shield.

Harry James Potter

2nd Year, Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Award for Special Services

Year: 1992

House: Gryffindor

Dumbledore took it and presented it to Harry, which he slowly took without hesitation, as it looked delicate.

"The trophy will be given to you and the shield will be taken to the Trophies room as a memory, Mr Potter," said Dumbledore. Harry nodded at that.

"Congratulations, Mr Potter. The school and her staff are grateful and proud of your bravery and courage" said Dumbledore and a loud bell ringing sound were heard by all that are present in the Great Hall. They didn't know the source of it, but Dumbledore explained that it.

"It seems Hogwarts herself is appreciating Mr Potter's service," said Dumbledore, and as some got curious he explained about the sentient nature of the Castle. Harry nodded at him in acknowledgement and took the trophy.

"Feel free to share your experience with your fellow students, Mr Potter, and please don't go into details," he said and moved back to give the podium to Harry. Harry stepped forward and took the podium.

"I thank you and Hogwarts Staff for considering me to give this award Headmaster. From memory I recall, the last time this award was given to Tom Marvolo Riddle was sometime in the 1940s. I hope I can match his level of intelligence and uphold the customs followed by the school. As for my achievement of this award, I would like to thank Professor Snape and the student body for this" his words shocked everyone in the Hall, including McGonagall and Dumbledore. He continued after a dramatic pause.

"Yes, you heard correctly. Professor Snape, the rest of the students, mainly students of Slytherin and Hufflepuff had pushed me to my limits of bravery which encouraged me to save the life of a student and kill the monster responsible for this" he said coolly.

The note of sarcasm in his words when he talked about Snape's and other houses help was missed by everyone because of their shock due to his claim in the Great Hall. But the man in question didn't miss it though. He sneered at Harry for that comment.

"I assure you, that will end this year. In the years to come, I promise you that I'm going to do things on my own without the need for anyone to push. I hope you can take note of this change and act accordingly as I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or intentions.

Make no mistake, that this I swear, will happen and I urge you to keep this in mind when I return next year, especially you, Professor Snape" said Harry and turned to Snape whose eyes were blazing with fury and Harry immediately diverted his gaze as he felt a sudden change in Snape's magic.

Harry felt his magic change into something like an arrow and after he diverted his eyes, he felt the arrow miss him. He understood what it is and made a point to not look Snape in eye. After having his fun and warning them with a note of sarcasm, he took his leave from the podium by thanking everyone. The Great Hall applauded his speech and Gryffindor celebrated his achievement.

"Now students, it's finally time to announce the House Cup," said Dumbledore. The old Headmaster is the only one who didn't find Harry's speech anything alarming, as it is not directed towards him but took note of the sarcasm and thought that he took after his father in that aspect.

Dumbledore saw the excitement in all students as they started talking about the house cup with their friends. He announced all the points for the year which resulted in Ravenclaw being first and Hufflepuff following and Gryffindor and Slytherin being last.

"As for the additions, I would like to give Gryffindor 200 points for the Bravery of Mr Potter in saving a student and Hogwarts," said Dumbledore with a smile.

"I would like to give 50 points as well," said Professor Flitwick.

"I will give another 75 points," said McGonagall.

"I will give 25 points," said Professor Sprout. She is sad that her Puffs treated Mr Potter with hatred, but couldn't take any action because they did what they believed in.

Everyone looked at Snape expectantly. He had a scowl on his face.

"10 points to Gryffindor," he said begrudgingly. His scowl deepened and he turned away to another side of the table facing Slytherin table.

"That will push Gryffindor to the top and the winner of this year's House Cup is... Gryffindor" said Dumbledore and the banners changed to the colours of Gryffindor and all the students at Gryffindor table cheered. They all were happy that their house won again. They celebrated and every Gryffindor left for the summer holidays in high spirits.

As they made their way to Hogwarts express, Harry didn't talk to anyone and kept to himself in a carriage and continued his reading. He took quite a few books with him to home, mainly related to spells, Occlumency, Legilamency, Mind and memory charms.

A Rituals book, in which Salazar wrote about the rituals he should perform on himself, a book on wandless casting and incantation less casting or mind/thought casting. He read about memory charms throughout his journey undisturbed by anyone.

Harry thought about his plans for the Dursleys and other things he wanted to do. He wanted to visit Diagon Alley to get his wand problem fixed and go to Gringotts to find more about his finances and balance available etc. With his plan made, for the time being, he stepped out of his compartment as the train reached London and silently went with the Dursleys to his 'home' in No.4, Privet Drive, Surrey without a word.

Scene Break

As they reached No.4, Privet Drive, he was showed harshly into the house by Vernon.

"Move, boy" sneered the fat pig.

"Sorry," said Harry, but he can see in Vernon's eyes that he very much enjoyed it and did it on purpose.

Harry went in without a word as he wanted to execute his plan without any delay. As he entered the house, he was thrown into his Cupboard under the stairs. He prepared himself for the upcoming confrontation with the Dursleys.

"Dobby" he called his house-elf, with a pop Dobby came in front of him.

"Does the great Master Harry Potter needing Dobby's helping?" he asked excitedly.

"Yes, Dobby. As you can see, I'm back at my 'relatives' house" he spat the word 'relatives' but Dobby nodded frantically afraid of Harry's anger.

"Can do me a favour and block the trace on my wand so that I can punish the bad relatives? Like how you did to block my letters last year?" he asked Dobby hopefully. Dobby nodded excitedly.

"Dobby can do that for Master Harry Potter, sir. Dobby's helping Harry Potter sir punish bad relatives" he said and with a snap of his finger, he nodded to Harry. Harry tested this by using Reducto on the table nearby and waited for the Ministry's letter.

After an hour of waiting, he didn't receive any letter. So he tried again and didn't receive it either. He got his confirmation at this point and used Alohomora to unlock the door of his cupboard. He entered in and saw all the family members watching Television and went in.

"Vernon," he said calmly and aimed his wand at the three of them.

"What are doing outside of your room, Boy. And what will you do with that stick of yours" laughed Vernon loudly, his son joining in.

"We know that you can't use that freakish thing outside of your freak school" he shouted at Harry smugly and his hand rose to beat Harry. Harry fired a bone breaker at Vernon and he shouted in pain, Harry looked at the scared Petunia and Dudley with a dark look, and fired two more bone breakers at them one on Dudley's hand and Petunia's legs. They fell onto the floor in pain and shouted for him to stop. He smirked at them.

"Oh, You think you can do all the things to me in my childhood and escape scot-free? Sorry to break your hopes, my dear Relatives. You are going to pay for everything you did in-person and money" he said with a dark smile. Petunia raised her head to speak something.

"Oh, you are thinking about the Trace that every underage Wizard will have to monitor their wands right, Petunia," he asked her and she gave him a small nod, still in pain.

"But that won't work now," he said to her in satisfaction. "You see, I have a small friend who can stop the trace for me. Dobby" he called and Dobby popped beside Harry. They all made a disgusted face upon seeing Dobby.

"Now, now, why you are looking disgusted. Oh, I see. You don't like Dobby huh. Well, guess what, Dobby also doesn't like you" he said and pushed Dobby in front of him.

"Master Harry Potter sir is correct. Dobby doesn't likes bad relatives who punish Master Harry Potter sir. Master, Dobby takes cares of fat Elephant, Giraffe woman and Pig boy" he said with anger and with a snap of his fingers, the three of them were lifted into the air and three whips came and started hitting them where ever possible.

This continued for a while. They would make pained sounds, while Harry read a book and Dobby watch them in satisfaction. After an hour of punishment, Harry released them and they fell on the ground unceremoniously. Harry didn't give a damn about that.

"Now, Vernon, why don't you sign here," said Harry, pushing some papers and pen towards Vernon. But Vernon looked reluctant, he looked at Harry with so much anger and rage that his face turning purple, but due to the punishment he had received recently, he couldn't do anything. Unable to move his body, he settled for a glare at Harry with as much hatred he could muster. Harry chuckled at his attempt of intimidation.

"Is this another try to remove the 'freakishness' in me? Staring at me without blinking. Really, Vernon, you can't find anything more stupid to do. Anyway, you are going to sign these forms" said Harry with finality. Vernon glared at the elf who returned it with more intensity.

"What are these for?" he asked as he can't do anything to his liking with a groan.

"None of your business. But I'll say. Maybe that will make you think before you do something rash next time. The one on top is related to my school which I won't say as it doesn't matter to you, you will sign it no matter what, and the second one is interesting.

It states that you are indebted to me and is ready to do anything to repay it as long as I don't sue you in court" Harry said with a cruel smirk appearing on his face. Vernon looked at him outraged and fury burning in his eyes. Harry chuckled in amusement at that.

"What, you think it is unreasonable. Don't come to conclusions, it is not finished yet. It also states that you agree and acknowledged that you physically punished me and your family are the reason for my malnutrition and irregular education, if you go to the police or file a lawsuit against me, you did to get yourself punished for the deeds you have done to me and as a way of repentance" at this, Harry's smile darkened.

"This, you say out of your own free will and of sound mind and created this contract and bind yourself and family into it which includes your wife and son. You'll also ask your sister, Marge, to sign it when she comes as a surety" Harry said happily. Vernon's face lost all its colours as he heard the complete contract but couldn't do anything and hung his head low.

"Now sign it," Harry said with authority and his magic flared to life, it created a pressure on Vernon which made his knees buckle and before he could be killed, he took the pen and signed the contract. Harry smiled at that and took the contract from him.

"Good. Now you will only be relieved of this contract when I say so myself. Speak of this to anyone, you will get yourself and your family to jail. Now, for the order of business, I want you, with that useless idiot you call son, and the wooden stick you call wife, to go to work and bring me money. You will give me 50% of your earnings" Vernon looked shocked at that.

"Yes, you heard me correctly. Half of your earnings. Dobby, heal them as little as you could. They should be able to work and that's enough. After being healed, you three are going to work. Work as never before, work as your life depends on it, literally. I want at least 3000 pounds a month without any fail. Now go to work, you will give your payment for this month tomorrow. I'm going to take your son's room and he can stay wherever he wants" said Harry and nodded to Dobby who popped away to move Harry's belongings to Dudley's room.

After coming to his new room, Harry thought about what he did to his relatives. But didn't give a damn about them or their well being. He should ask about the exchange rate of Pounds to Galleons to know how much he is making from this contract.

'Well, I think it will be high so that I can extract them of their money and make them regret their mistakes and earn more money at the same time. I should go to Gringotts sometime. Maybe after I receive the payment tomorrow. That will give me a chance to know the exchange rate and test the coin I had from the Slytherin vault.

If possible, I should see my accounts manager as well. Since I am the Lord of a Noble House, maybe I would get some benefits as well. Only one way to find out I guess" he thought and immersed himself in reading books about the upcoming rituals he should do on his birthday.

And Cut

That's it for this chapter, folks. See ya in the next Chapter.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Black Infinity 1289,

Ja Ne.

19