Tremors
296 4 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yo,

I'm back with the Next Chapter of Broken Shackles. Hope you share your feedback with me.

"Talking"

'Thinking'

"Familiar/ Ghosts /Goblins" talking.

'Familiar/ Ghosts/ Goblins' thinking.

'Parseltonguewill/memories'

"Spell" is being used.

Enjoy.

Broken Shackles

Chapter 21

Tremors

Ted and Andromeda were talking about something when in a loud pop, Harry and a bruised Tonks appeared in front of them, making the couple jump in fear.

"Nymphadora, Harry!" Andromeda said in shock, seeing their bruised and tattered state.

"What happened?" Ted asked in a hurry as he brought the first aid kit and started checking for any injuries that needed immediate treatment.

"We got ambushed."

"Don't know who they are, but they are good. Totally 7 people including the leader." Tonks reported.

"Explain, now!" Andromeda said in a stern tone and Harry and Tonks looked at each other and started explaining. Though they are bruised, they are not life-threatening.

"So while they were scared of Harry's wrath, we escaped." Tonks ended with a satisfied smile.

"This is bad. I didn't know you have a target on your back, Harry." Ted said in a worried tone.

"It's fine. They can't do shit even if they want to like in this incident. I have my trusted bodyguard after all." Harry said, patting Tonks on her head.

"Hmmm. Yes, yes. Write that to my boss." She said proudly and Harry nodded with a happy smile. As if summoned, an owl made its way towards Tonks.

"Speak of the devil and she shall appear." She said, allowing the barny owl to land on her hand and taking the letter that was tied to its leg. Harry gave it owl treats and with a happy hoot.

'Greetings,

Junior Auror Tonks.

We are writing this to ask you about the 'Earthquake' incident in Birmingham. Hope Heir Potter is doing well.

A few hours, a group of wizards attacked Birmingham and destroyed most of the city centre's property.

Most of our Obliviaters are on the task of clearing their memories and covering up. While doing one such task, one of the muggles pointed out they saw a young couple walking nearby and their descriptions match yours.

So can you elaborate if you have any part in this and if you have, explain what happened, NOW!

Hope you are doing well, Heir Potter.

Good Day,

Madam Bones,

Director,

DMLE.'

"It's more like she knew we were there." Harry joked and Tonks agreed.

"So that's what they are calling it now? The 'Earthquake' incident?" Andromeda said and everyone nodded.

"I want to know who comes with all these weird names in the ministry. If possible, give them a piece of my brain." Harry sighed and Tonks started explaining what happened on the parchment.

It took her an hour to explain everything to Harry's satisfaction as he chose to remove certain facts from the report for the sake of the Childcare centre's safety.

Ted and Andromeda also skimmed it to make sure anything doesn't appear as Tonks's fault and the DMLE simply can't blame her for the incident and get rid of it. He knew how Ministry works too well to not do it.

After intense scrutiny and approval, Tonks sent the letter through one of the same owl who patiently waited for them to finish, eating the owl treats Harry is giving it.

After that, both of them collapsed, exhaustion and the strain they put on their bodies catching up to them. They didn't go to their rooms and made the lobby their makeshift bedroom.

"They look serene even after such an encounter," Andromeda said and Ted nodded.

The couple didn't find even a trace of worry or fear in the duo even after facing half a dozen grown men in combat. He can only assume what makes them happy though.

"The Children are too sweet for Harry to be worried about. Such nice children and I didn't expect that old coot to send a letter to Harry. It's very bold of him." She said as Harry explained about the letter from Lord Greengrass.

"Should Harry meet him though?" Andromeda asked and Ted went into a thinking pose.

"I don't see why not. But let's weigh all pros and cons to be clear about the agenda of the meeting." Ted said and Andromeda agreed. They soon went to sleep, leaving the couch sleepers there, so as not to disturb them.

DMLE Office

"What! Harry Potter was attacked, again!?" Madam Bones said in surprise. She is a stoic woman to say such things, however, everything happening is breaking her stoic mask.

They wrote the letter to verify if the claim of a muggle was true. But didn't expect the Potter boy to be in the middle of this.

"Give me her reply." She demanded and Shacklebolt gave it. She read through the paragraphs line by line, not wanting to miss anything and after reading, gave a sigh of relief.

"They somehow managed to escape this. I didn't expect such proficiency and tact from them. So 6 unidentical Wizards and their leader." She concluded and Shacklebolt nodded.

"Go through all the international port-key records and check if such a large group arrived here and when. Send some hit wizards for a look-out for them. And, don't inform this to the Minister. He is causing enough ruckus already and we don't want him accidentally spilling this to the public." She ordered and Shacklebolt sprang into action.

'Damn it, Potter. Why would you always attract trouble to you? But it's a great feat to defend against 7 people at once. What are you hiding from us?'

To stand against 7 fully grown wizards is not easy. Potter must have some skill and Tonks' part in this is greatly exaggerated to make him look weak.' Shacklebolt concluded.

Working as an Auror for many years, he knew how things work and where to look to find the answers. As soon as he read the letter, he knew some things are hidden and some are bloated.

But he is satisfied with the given information as they already concluded it. If only the Minster knows this, he will make a big spectacle. He smiled to himself.

He knows the self-centred man does anything to keep his post as the Minister and will undoubtedly make this more chaotic than it is needed. That's the reason why Madam Bones doesn't want the man in the know.

He made his way to the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes to discuss. He also had to inform him.

Next Morning

The news about the 'Earthquake' incident was shrugged off as a random occurrence in the year and was shoved under the rug. Not even reported as main news in the Daily Prophet.

2 people were not satisfied and one of them walked toward the man in charge of everything.

"Good morning, Minister," Lucius said with a fake smile. Fudge returned a broad one happily.

"Lucius. How are you doing, old friend?" Fudge asked cheerfully and Lucius nodded elegantly in reply.

"Was visiting some of my colleagues and saw you." He said his excuse and jumped right into the topic.

"What is this I hear about the 'Earthquake' incident in Birmingham?"

"It's nothing. An uncommon occurrence." Fudge shrugged it off.

"It doesn't involve any magical intervention right," Lucius asked, still with a small smile but his expression said Fudge a lot.

"I can't hide many things from you, eh. Well, it's some idiots attacking the city centre and our Aurors are doing their best. I just got a report of the incident from Madam Bones." He said as he walked into his office.

The Improper Use of Magic Head was waiting for him in the bland room. Fudge smiled happily upon seeing her. Though she doesn't work directly under him, she gives him excellent advice.

"Ah, Dolores. Nice of you to come here." Fudge greeted them and they just noticed a second woman to the side.

Dolores Umbridge was head of Improper Use of Magic Office. She is a short squat woman resembling a large pale toad. She had a broad, flabby face, a wide, slack mouth, and a little neck. Her eyes were bulging and pouchy, and in her mousy brown hair, she often wore a black velvet bow, further exemplifying her toadness.

She is wearing various green tweed outfits, with a pink fuzzy cardigan on top, giving her greater toad-like qualities. The head-to-toe matching outfit, in shades of pink, was clearly showing her like a sore thumb in the room.

"Thank you, Minister. Greetings, Lord Malfoy." She greeted and while Fudge nodded enthusiastically, Lucius gave her a fake smile, hiding his irritation.

He had enough of the Minister's stupidity and now if this woman was added to the list, he might lose it. So to avoid crises, he chose the safest option.

"Madam-" Lucius called, looking at the other woman and Hopkirk stood up and introduced herself.

"Mafalda Hopkirk, Lord Malfoy."

"Yes, Madam Hopkirk. Can you elaborate on what happened yesterday?" As they are from Improper Magic Use, they are supposed to keep track of where magic is used so that if underage magic is used, they can send violations and catch the improper users.

Umbridge is the head of the Office while Mafalda though being part of the Underage division is Umbridge's assistant and so followed her here. She knows what Lord Malfoy was trying to do.

"Yesterday, around evening time, we detected unusual magic activity in Birmingham and by the time our investigators reached, everything was in ruins. From what our Obliviators were able to gather, a group of wizards confounded the local police into searching for someone." She got confused looks and elaborated.

"The Police are Muggle equivalent to our Aurors and as the details of people they are searching were given after being confounded, they couldn't remember it. They did an admirable job of setting everything back up and silencing them." She ended, getting different reactions from the 3.

While Umbridge was proud of her employee's job, Fudge was surprised at the whole event and happy that he managed to shove it under the rug but Lucius was furious.

Many things are not clear about the story and he can smell something Potter in this. He turned to the woman and asked with narrowed eyes.

"Did DMLE confirm this?" In a high tone as if daring her to lie. Mafalda, though surprised by his expression, replied with confidence.

"Yes, sir. Aurora Shacklebolt got the approval letter from Madam Bones."

"Guess it's authentic then." Fudge said with a goofy smile. Umbridge nodded along.

"Well Cornelius, I'll be leaving now. Hope to see more efforts in catching Black as this issue is settled." Lucius said in a sweet tone and left. Everyone dispersed after that. Mafalda knew she thoroughly upset Lord Malfoy but didn't care.

Hogwarts

Though it's Christmas, the Headmaster is not happy. As soon as he got the news of an attack in Birmingham, he thought of many possibilities and found a likely result.

James told him many times about the Childcare centre the Potters owned and just before going into hiding, James asked him to visit there. Of course, he rejected it as it is risky.

But if Harry sued him, then doesn't that mean he read Lily and James will? 'But will Harry hide such a secret from me?' A stray thought came.

The boy was changing, he knew that. He knew how Harry topped his class last year and is continuing to top even now. The confidence he showed when he was called for the staff meeting didn't go unnoticed as well.

Dumbledore knew better than to underestimate Noble language speakers. Parseltongue is a unique language that allows the users to do many unknown things in the magical world.

Though he doesn't think the boy will fall to the dark, now he is not sure if he is on the light's side as well. The recent news he heard of Lord Greengrass is also concerning.

Dumbeldore got information that Lord Greengrass is trying to woo Harry to his side and then there is the matter of Andromeda Tonks.

Harry's appointment of her as his representative is doing wonders in the Wizengamot sessions. She is effectively shutting everyone's mouth, taking some crucial decisions.

She also had a hand in pushing for increasing the budget of the DMLE, though the Minister flaunted it as his success, it's the usual.

He knew Harry was not on vacation with his relatives but he was with the Tonks family, Mrs Figg confirmed it for him. He let it slide as there is no bad in it and Harry would benefit more from staying with them.

Then comes the matter of Sirius. Harry is using the Tonks family very well and Ted Tonks is wise to let Sirius be found guilty easily. He had no doubt the day of the trail would bring a storm to the Wizengamot.

Now that all these are happening, the old headmaster can't find who has a strong enough grudge to attack Harry in broad daylight in a bustling Muggle city.

'What can be done to achieve the Greater good, old friend?' He deeply thought, ruffling Fawkes. The Phoenix played a high tone to alleviate the mood.

"Enter, Severus," he said looking at the door and the resident potions master entered a second later. Seeing the young man in high spirits eased his tension a bit.

"How are you doing, Severus?" He asked cheerfully, offering a sherbet lemon, which the younger man rejected. Dumbledore happily ate it.

"I'm fine, Headmaster," Snape said in a relatively lighter tone. As no brats were killing his peace, he is in a good mood and his throat is relaxed as well. It's been so long since he felt this light.

"Excellent. How is your throat doing?" He asked with a gentle smile. Snape nodded in affirmative.

"I have some disturbing news that I want to talk to you about." He said, his demeanour changing into a serious one instantly.

"What did the brat do this time?" Snape sighed. Though he disdained his father for his existence, Harry is at least tolerable. But as soon as he saw his hair though, that's a trigger.

"If it's Harry doing some mischief, I wouldn't have brought it to your attention, Severus. 2 separate incidents occurred at different times and I think they are linked." Dumbeldore started.

"On the following day of the beginning of the Christmas holidays, I visited Hogsmeade on foot. I found traces of magic usage in a clearing some distance away from the village.

There are 3 traces and though I can't differentiate them, I can conclude that there is some fight that happened there. If not for a wide area spell, I would have discerned who's magic it was if I know it. Though it would be difficult.

They did it very well and covered their tracks. I can't find anything but a trace of magic. I know students used to fight there. But this scale of repair is not needed any time.

And the incident that happened in Birmingham also resembles the same style of attack. I know Harry was attacked for sure this time. But his wit and Ms Tonks's courage saved him.

I'm afraid something is happening that for once is not pointing toward Tom. They just wore robes and no use of the dark mark either. What are your thoughts?" Dumbledore explained

He gave some time for Snape to process and waited for his reply. His Occlumency was too advanced for Dumbledore to try something and his face was as blank as ever.

"I'll see what I can find from my house. But I'm not sure if the 2 incidents are related, sir. I'll investigate as well." He said and Dumbledore nodded.

"If that's all, I'll take my leave," Snape said and left the old Headmaster for his thoughts.

While this was going on, on the other side of Hogwarts, a meek boy was having trouble opening his Christmas gifts.

Neville felt alone from the beginning, but when Harry helped him on many occasions, he found a friend in the Potter boy.

Their circumstances were too similar to be unrelated. While Harry's parents died saving Harry, his parents were, were tortured into insanity, becoming permanent inmates in St Mungo's.

He didn't want to go to his gran this year and so stayed in the school. Though some others also stayed, he felt lonely and he was scared to encounter Professor Snape in the halls and didn't want that to happen.

Though he is going to the Greenhouses often though. Professor Sprout was very helpful. He is grateful for that at least. Coming back to the gift though.

He stared doubtfully at it, unable to decide what to do. He silently brought it to his dorm which is empty for time being. After a minute more of contemplation, he decided to dive in and open it.

It looked like a normal greeting card as he turned it back, there is a letter pinned on its back and Neville took it and read it.

'Hey Neville,

Hope you are doing well and Merry Christmas. Sorry, I'm not there to greet you in person.

It's been so long since I talked to you and I want to rectify that after the holidays. Just want to tell you not to listen to anyone and do what your heart desires.

We are in similar situations when all this began, Neville. I know you don't like that grease ball. How about we plan a prank and mix the sticky liquid in his grease?

I know Fred and George will help. Let's see what else we can do. I thought the books will help and took some for you. They were at the bottom of the letter.

Don't worry about others, Neville. You have courage, it's just hiding inside, that's it.

Hope to see your courageous side in action soon, Neville. Happy holidays.

Harry.'

Neville didn't know what to say. Harry was one of the only few that helped him when Malfoy or Snape were bullying him. He is grateful that Harry sent him a greeting letter.

More because he knew Harry will cheer him on if he is a bit more courageous to represent his house. He knew the Sorting Hat was not wrong. It's just, that he is not sure.

But reading a letter from him cleared some things for him. First is that Harry didn't forget him just because he changed houses and next is he needs to try a bit more to stand for himself.

He wanted to make his parents proud even though they can't recognise him. He was surprised by the books that Harry bought for him and is going to thank him soon. He is going to change for sure.

With those positive thoughts blowing away the lonely and gloomy atmosphere in his mind, he started going through the books on Herbology, his favourite subject.

Ravenclaw Tower

In Ravenclaw Tower, all the members of the Ravenclaw Quidditch team opened their gifts as well but left the mysterious one they got unnamed for later.

All of them gathered and opened it at once and saw a Nimbus 2000 for all of them with their names carved into the handle of the broom. They were surprised, to say the least.

"Who might have the guts and money to send these?" Jeremy asked.

"I sure have one name in mind," Jason said with a smirk.

"It's Harry!" They said at once.

"Yeah, definitely him. Guess he wants us to compete with him." Randolph said.

"I can only think of how much this coated." Page said.

"Hmm yeah. But meh, who is willing to compete with me on our new brooms?" Jason said with a hungry smile and all of them rose their hands and ran to the Quidditch stadium to fly.

Somewhere in England

Cho received Harry's gift as well with the Nimbus 2000. She is so excited to see his gift than the broom though and waited for her parents to leave to open it as she doesn't want to spill it to them. At last, they went out to shop for something and she got the opportunity to open her boyfriend's gift.

She took it to her room and opened it with excitement. She thought it would be some book on DADA or other practical subjects they are practising. But what she saw blew her mind.

It was a small necklace with a blue gem in the middle with a small H/C carved in the middle of the gem with a small serpentine dragon coiling around them with its wings in a protective manner.

It fits well with her robes as well and in her favourite colour. There is a small note attached to it and she took it to read.

'A beautiful necklace for my gorgeous girlfriend. Hope the design was up to your taste. It also has some charms enchanted into it. So you won't forget or lose it.

With love,

Harry.'

She took it and immediately wore it, it looked great on her and she felt this warm feeling from it. It is similar to the one she gets when she is with Harry and her day got brighter with that.

Tonks Residence

Harry and Tonks mindlessly slept on the couch. It took them 14hrs to replenish their lost magic and recover from the exhaustion that their last encounter put them through.

As they groggily woke up, Andromeda was there with some food and after refreshing up, they sat in the lounge area to discuss further course of action.

"So what to do with Lord Greengrass?" Harry asked, looking at the Tonks couple.

"I think waiting till Sirius is released helps, Harry," Andromeda suggested.

"I know it's long, but there is no rush to meet him now. Familiarise yourself with his daughter to gauge what he might want and then we will have a good idea of what to do." Ted added and Harry nodded after thinking.

"Whatcha gonna do for the rest of the holidays?" Tonks asked.

"Hopefully not some adventure." She added.

"Nah, my bodyguard. I'll call Christy here and talk about adding the first 2 years of Hogwarts into the books. And open my Christmas gifts!"

"You are going to spill everything Dumbledore did or lack of his action?" Ted asked with an amused smile.

"Hmm, why not. He should suffer for inaction. Just leaving students to fend for themselves." Harry said shaking his head.

"We'll be hearing though," Tonks said and Harry nodded. They started discussing what Harry can add to the books and Harry excitedly went to the Christmas tree to pick up all his gifts. They are waiting for long.

And Cut.

That's it for this Chapter, folks. Hope you all liked it. Tell me, what you think of the chapter and story in general.

If you are interested to talk to me or just chill, join my Discord server. By entering the code after / to join the Sanctum.

Tserhx2NzH

Finally, check my new Naruto x Harry Potter story (Destined Saviour) and hope you show it some love as well.

Here is a short summary.

Unforeseen circumstances push Naruto into an unexpected journey. What will Naruto do when he finds himself in the world of Magic in a different body? Takes place in HPverse.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

See y'all in the next chapter.

Black Infinity 1289,

Ja Ne.

7