Redemption and Resolve
237 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yo,

I'm back of Broken Shackles. Without further ado, let's get started!

Enjoy.

Broken Shackles

Chapter 36

Redemption and Resolve

1st July 1994

Wizengomot

Amelia turned her gaze towards the jury and then to Sirius. "You have all heard the confession. The serum does not lie. We will recess for the jury to deliberate, but given the clarity of the evidence, I expect we will reach a prompt conclusion."

As Aurors led Pettigrew away, still in chains, the courtroom broke into a frenzy of whispered conversations, the magnitude of the revelations sinking in. Sirius met Harry's eyes, and for the first time in many years, a genuine smile broke through.

Dumbledore rose from his seat, his robes billowing softly around him as if in tune with the gravity of the moment. His Chief Warlock staff tapped lightly against the floor, each step reverberating through the courtroom like the tolling of a bell, calling attention to the gravity of what is to come. The audience watched him, some with awe, others with scepticism, but all recognizing his authority and the solemnity he brought to the proceedings.

But the wise old wizard's eyes remained focused on Pettigrew as he was led away, his expression inscrutable but his eyes tinged with both sorrow and relief. Internally, he is grappling with the weight of his past decisions.

As the haziness that clouded his thoughts began to lift, Pettigrew found his eyes locking onto a figure he recognized all too well—Albus Dumbledore. The piercing blue flames of anger in Dumbledore's eyes sent a shudder through Pettigrew's very core, igniting an acrid taste of dread in his mouth.

His mind raced chaotically. This is never supposed to happen, none of it. Where is he? He is certain he got caught. What will his Master—the Dark Lord—think of this calamity? Pettigrew had always been a coward of survival, slinking in the shadows of the strong, ever ready to switch allegiances if it meant saving his own skin.

But now, faced with this new reality, the lines between strength and weakness blurred irreparably. He is a trapped rat, caught in a maze with walls closing in, and he has no inkling which path—either in this room or in the broader war—might lead to safety. His loyalty to the Dark Lord seemed both a lifeline and a noose, and he can feel its pull tightening with each passing moment.

For the first time in years, Peter Pettigrew found himself paralyzed by the very cowardice that had long dictated his choices. With no clear way out and a mounting sense of dread, he is lost in a labyrinth of his own making, haunted by the unknown consequences that awaited him with a weakened body.

As Dumbledore reached the ornate double doors that led to the private chamber of discussion, he paused and turned back one last time. His eyes swept across the chamber, capturing a collective breath held in anticipation and trepidation. With a nod that conveyed both assurance and a solemn obligation, he turned and pushed open the doors.

The heavy wood yielded silently, revealing a dimly lit chamber furnished with a long, oval table and plush chairs. This is a room where fates are decided, where evidence is weighed and justice sought.

Dumbledore entered, the doors closing behind him with a muted thud that seemed to echo the closing of an epoch in the lives of all those connected to this trial. Now, it is up to the jury to digest the labyrinthine complexities of the case, guided by the wisdom and ethical compass that Dumbledore had always strived to provide.

With Fudge

Fudge felt as if a vice has tightened around his chest, squeezing the air from his lungs as he struggled to maintain composure. His face is flushed, a ruddy hue that betrayed his inner turmoil, and his brow is a twisted landscape of worry lines.

The bombshell of Pettigrew's confession is nothing short of a political catastrophe, throwing not just his Ministry into disarray, but also his own meticulously crafted public image as he is the one who presided over Sirius's trail-less imprisonment. He is sure Edward Tonks will point that out at some point in the prosecution.

His mind whirred at a frenetic pace, grasping for straws of plausible deniability or even a shred of spin-worthy material. 'Could I perhaps lay the blame at the feet of previous administrations?' he pondered briefly, only to dismiss the notion. The wizarding community, with its unerring memory for scandal, would likely not forgive or forget his tenure's monumental blunder.

'And then there's the press,' he thought, wincing inwardly. The Daily Prophet, especially Rita Skeeter, often his ally in shaping public opinion, would have a field day with this. How can he counteract the inevitable onslaught of negative headlines, editorials, and—Merlin forbid—calls for his resignation?

This revelation also posed immediate risks to his delicate alliances within the Ministry and the Wizengamot, relationships built over years through painstaking diplomacy and political manoeuvring. 'Trust, once broken, is impossible to mend,' he reminded himself, aware that his credibility is now hanging by the thinnest of threads.

His thoughts swirled around his political survival, desperately cobbling together contingency plans. Will throwing someone else under the bus save him, or is this a sinking ship from which there is no escape? As he weighed his dwindling options, the oppressive weight of his own incompetence settled over him like a shroud. For the first time in his career, Cornelius Fudge found himself staring into the abyss of his own making, uncertain if there is a way back from the precipice.

With Harry

Harry stood beside Sirius, both of them emanating a sense of calm that seemed almost incongruous given the emotional whirlwind that had just swept through the courtroom. Harry's eyes met Sirius's, and a mutual understanding passed between them—justice is finally within reach.

Those who knew Harry are both impressed and slightly surprised by his composure. He had matured significantly over the past year, yet the depth of his calm demeanour in this highly charged environment is something few expected. Many wondered how a young man could be so poised when so much is at stake.

For Sirius, the change is even more pronounced. The man who had walked into the courtroom with an air of guarded hopefulness now radiated a happiness he had not felt in years. His eyes, once clouded by a painful past, gleamed with newfound freedom and a future that was suddenly full of possibility.

The transformation is not lost on the crowd. Whispers circulated, speculating on how the pair could maintain such calm in the face of overwhelming odds. To those who had doubted Sirius's innocence, his immediate reaction served as an almost palpable affirmation of the truth.

As people absorbed what had just occurred, Sirius's face broke into a smile—genuine and untainted by sorrow or fear. It is as if years of hardship had been lifted in a single moment and those who saw it were touched by its sheer authenticity.

The sight of such raw happiness seemed to punctuate the gravity of the day's revelations, leaving everyone in the courtroom reflecting on the profound implications of the justice that is finally being served.

Lucius is not one of them. He sat ramrod straight, his eyes a cold glint behind the mask of his composed face. However, the internal tumult is impossible to ignore. The revelation that Pettigrew, not Black, had betrayed the Potters could have severe implications.

This trial, he knew, is not just about one man's innocence but also a potential unravelling of long-held beliefs and assumptions that had guided the post-war society. It threatened to expose other inconvenient truths—truths that Lucius had a vested interest in keeping buried.

For years, he had managed to distance himself from his past as a Death Eater, casting himself as a reformed man, a pillar of the wizarding community. Pettigrew's unexpected appearance risked dragging the past back into the spotlight.

Lucius weighed his options carefully. He needs to tread cautiously in the days to come, perhaps even reconsider alliances and strategies. Most of all, he felt a burning need to regain control of the narrative before it slipped irreversibly out of his hands.

Around him, other ex-Death Eater lords also wrestled with their thoughts. They had been cautious, even secretive, in the years following Voldemort's downfall, many obtaining pardons through political manoeuvring, generous donations, or both.

Like Lucius, they understood that the trial's implications went far beyond Sirius Black. The revelation about Pettigrew could prompt new investigations into old cases, raising questions that many would prefer to remain unanswered.

Each lord dealt with this revelation in his own way: some with a flicker of concern crossing their eyes, others maintaining a facade so flawless it bordered on unnerving. But despite their individual reactions, one thought united them all: the landscape is shifting, and not in their favour. They will need to regroup and adapt, for the world they thought they knew is changing, and they couldn't afford to be left behind.

With Caesar

Caesar sat a little away from the other lords, his eyes sharp and his demeanour contemplative. He had always been one to observe before speaking, to think deeply about the implications of each action and word.

As Pettigrew's confession echoed in the courtroom, he found himself mentally revising several aspects of the post-war narrative. He pondered what this twist meant for the future, especially for his daughters and their place in the wizarding world. The revelation about Pettigrew is a seismic shift in the power dynamics and public opinion, a shift that could create new opportunities—or new threats.

For Greengrass, the immediate concern is what this meant for the existing establishment, particularly the Ministry and its handling of justice. If Black is innocent, how many others are there who have been wrongly accused or imprisoned?

His gaze briefly met Madam Bones' as she left the chamber, and he silently commended her for her integrity. He believed that law should serve justice, not agendas, and in his eyes, Amelia had just proven herself an upholder of that principle.

His thoughts then meandered to Harry, the young wizard who had stood steadfastly beside Sirius. Harry is already an influential figure, revered and scrutinised in equal measure, thanks to his history and the unfortunate fame that came with it. Now, standing beside an innocent man, vindicated against a flawed system, Harry's credibility would likely soar. And with greater credibility came greater influence.

Caesar considered what Harry's elevated standing meant for his own family, particularly his daughters. Harry is no longer just a heroic figure in abstract terms; he has become a pivotal player in the landscape that would shape the future of the younger generation. His daughters might look to Harry as a voice of change, of rebellion against a flawed system, and Caesar found himself torn between caution and the allure of potential alliances. His past attempts gave him a good idea about the Potter Heir's thought process.

His fingers drummed lightly on the bench. It is a moment of shifting tides and crossroads, a moment where decisions made could set the course for years to come. As a man acutely aware of the long play, Caesar Greengrass knew that in times of upheaval, opportunities are rife—but so are threats. And navigating that delicate balance would demand all the cunning and foresight he had honed over the years.

With Others

Meanwhile, Arthur Weasley felt like he had been struck by lightning as he stared at the chained, transformed Pettigrew. The ragged man looked eerily familiar, and it only took Arthur a moment to place him. And then, it clicked. Scabbers.

The pet rat that had been with his family for years is not just any rat; it is an Animagus, a fugitive, and, now, a confessed murderer and traitor. A sense of dread washed over him as he thought about how close this dangerous man had been to his children, especially Percy and Ron.

Arthur felt a swirl of emotions: shock, betrayal, but mostly a fatherly concern for the safety of his family. They had harboured a wanted criminal without knowing it, welcoming him into their home as a harmless pet.

As Pettigrew was led away, Arthur couldn't shake off the chilling realisation of the danger that had lurked so close to his loved ones. This is a wake-up call, and Arthur knew things couldn't remain the same.

A serious discussion with his family is impending, and perhaps even a revisiting of old assumptions and beliefs. The world has just become far more complicated and Arthur will do his best to keep his family safe.

As Pettigrew's confession reverberated through the hallowed halls of the Wizengamot, the atmosphere grew electrifying with a mix of shock, disbelief, and a brewing sense of scandal.

Each member present seemed to process the revelation in their own unique way, reflective of their personal biases, allegiances, and concerns for the future.

Augusta Longbottom, sitting ramrod straight in her seat, tightened her grip on her walking stick. To her, this is not just a miscarriage of justice; it is a betrayal of the very ideals she had fought for in the last war. Her thoughts flickered towards her grandson, Neville, wondering how many more would suffer before justice was truly served.

Across the aisle, Narcissa Malfoy's face remained an unreadable mask, but internally, she is reevaluating the political landscape. Pettigrew had been a Death Eater, one of Voldemort's own, and his public confession could have untold implications for families like hers that had murky ties to the Dark Lord. She hoped her cousin would still hold the same kindness he once had if things turned to worse.

John Dawlish, representing the Auror Office, wore an expression of grim vindication. For him and others in law enforcement, this moment underscored the imperfections in the system they served. It is both a reckoning and a call to action, a sign that reform couldn't wait any longer. Though Amelia changed many things in the DMLE, she can't reform the whole Justice structure of the Ministry yet.

The members of the Goblin Liaison Office exchanged glances that spoke volumes. In their eyes, this is just another example of wizarding arrogance and fallibility. The fact that a man could be so wrongly accused and imprisoned only strengthened their resolve to remain detached from wizarding affairs whenever possible and their respect for the young Lord Potter found new heights.

For all assembled, Pettigrew's confession became more than just an individual's admission of guilt; it is a collective moment of reckoning. It demanded that each person, each family, and each faction reevaluate where they stood in a world that had suddenly shifted on its axis. The room is thick with unsaid words and yet, it seemed, everything had changed.

The doors to the private chamber swung open with a measured creak, drawing every gaze in the courtroom towards the jury as they filed back into their seats. Their expressions were carefully neutral, but the air around them hummed with a sense of gravity that had not been there before. It is as if they carried the weight of their discussion, and perhaps the future of wizarding justice, back into the room with them.

Amelia Bones, who had been waiting at her podium with a palpable sense of anticipation, cleared her throat and rose to her feet. "Ladies and gentlemen of the Wizengamot," she began, her voice steady but tinged with the strain of the moment, "the jury has returned. We shall now resume the proceedings."

She then turned her attention to the prosecution's table. "Does the prosecution have anything further to add in light of the new evidence?" Her words hung in the air, a tacit acknowledgement that the floor is open for a statement that can very well sway the outcome of one of the most tumultuous trials in recent memory.

Stroud rose from his seat, clearing his throat to signal he had something to say. "While this court acknowledges the shockingly candid revelations from Mr Pettigrew," he began avoiding any discussion regarding Pettigrew's unexpected living circumstances, "I must object on the grounds of the suspect's mental capacity. We do not know where Mr Pettigrew has been all these years, or under what conditions he was kept before appearing here."

His gaze then shifted to Edward. "I would like to inquire about the circumstances under which Mr Pettigrew was found and detained. Can you assure this court that no excessive force or coercion was employed to extract this confession?"

Ted stood up, meeting the prosecutor's gaze. "The accused was found in his Animagus form and was put into magical stasis shortly after his capture. No force or coercion was applied, and the use of Veritaserum today should validate the veracity of his statements."

Stroud frowned, not entirely convinced. "Veritaserum, while effective, is not foolproof. The subject's mental state plays a crucial role in the potion's effectiveness. If Pettigrew has been in hiding or captivity, it could have affected his mental stability, thereby affecting the potion's accuracy."

Amelia Bones interjected, "Your concerns are noted, Mr Stroud. However, the Veritaserum has been administered by professionals, and its effects have been deemed satisfactory for this proceeding by this court. Additionally, the accused didn't show any signs of malnutrition, indicating a certain level of mental coherence."

Ted nodded in acknowledgement as he rummaged through the folder and pulled out an envelope. "If I may put an end to any speculation about the accused's mental state, we took the liberty of having him evaluated by a certified psychiatric healer from St Mungo's before this proceeding. The healer has given a written attestation regarding his mental capacity to stand trial and answer questions under the influence of Veritaserum."

Ted handed over a sealed envelope to the court assistant, who in turn presented it to the Jury. Amelia opened the envelope and quickly scanned the document inside. Satisfied, she handed it to the other members of the jury, Dumbledore and Madam Griselda Marchbanks.

After they had a moment to read the document, Amelia spoke. "The court acknowledges the certification from St Mungos regarding the accused's mental condition. He has been found mentally capable of participating in this trial and his statements under Veritaserum are thus admissible."

She paused to let her words sink in. "This should satisfactorily address the objections raised by the prosecution."

Stroud is clearly rattled, but doing his best to maintain composure, he continued. "While the mental capacity of Mr Pettigrew has been satisfactorily clarified, let us not forget the subject of illegal Animagi. Mr Pettigrew was one, and there has been much speculation that Sirius Black could be one as well. This could potentially add weight to his past accusations, given that such abilities might be used for illicit activities, including his escape from Azkaban."

The room seemed to hold its breath as the implications of Stroud's words hung in the air. If Sirius was indeed an illegal Animagus, it could sway the court's perception of his character, regardless of Pettigrew's confessions.

Ted rose to respond, with an air of calm assurance around him. "Your concerns are valid, Mr Stroud. However, whether or not my client is an Animagus has no bearing on the crimes for which he was originally convicted. The issue at hand is the miscarriage of justice that led to Sirius Black spending over a decade in Azkaban for crimes he did not commit. We should focus on that."

Amelia took a moment to consider both arguments before making her ruling. "While the issue of illegal Animagi is concerning, Mr Tonks is correct that it does not directly pertain to the matters for which this trial was convened. We are here to determine the guilt or innocence of Sirius Black regarding his previous convictions, and whether Peter Pettigrew was involved in those crimes."

She paused, letting her gaze sweep over the courtroom. "Let us not stray from the matters at hand. We shall proceed accordingly."

Stroud sensed the case slipping away from him and decided to go on the offensive. "Ladies and Gentlemen of the court, while it's not directly related to the charges Mr Black was originally convicted of, one must wonder how he managed to escape from Azkaban. It's a feat that no one has managed to accomplish without external aid or dark magic. Are we to believe he simply walked out? Or could it be that he used some illicit means, perhaps a secret network of Death Eaters, or dark spells?"

Ted stood, expression unmoved, as if he had anticipated the desperate angle the prosecution might take. "Mr Stroud, your speculations are entertaining but they do NOT constitute evidence. This court operates on facts. Unless you can provide solid proof to support your theories, I'd urge you to refrain from further attempts to prejudice this court."

Amelia looked less than pleased with the prosecution's tactics but allowed it as part of the adversarial process. "Mr Stroud, while the court recognizes your right to build a case, we must insist that you stick to provable facts. This is a court of law, not a tabloid."

Stroud looked frustrated but took his seat, signalling he had no further questions for now.

Amelia turned her attention to the jury. "In light of the evidence and testimonies presented, the jury will now deliberate on the matter."

As the court waited for the jury's decision, the atmosphere is thick with tension. As the jury members—Amelia Bones, Albus Dumbledore, and Madam Griselda Marchbanks—retreated to a private chamber for deliberation, the tension among them is palpable but tinged with a sense of urgency.

Amelia spoke first. "Given the gravity of these revelations, we must be cautious but swift in reaching a verdict. Pettigrew's confession under Veritaserum does carry weight, but let's discuss the prosecution's latter arguments. Is there any merit to them?"

Dumbledore shook his head gently. "While interesting, Mr Stroud's theories lack substantial evidence. We must judge based on what is proven, not what is speculated. Additionally, the matter of Sirius's escape from Azkaban, while curious, is not what he is on trial for today."

Madam Marchbanks, an experienced member of the Wizengamot who had served for decades, agreed. "Indeed. The law is the law. We're not here to write fiction. Mr Black was imprisoned without a trial; now we see evidence suggesting he is innocent of the original charges. We must focus on that."

Amelia nodded. "Agreed. We also have to consider the expert report from St Mungos concerning Pettigrew's mental state, which provides further credence to his confession."

Dumbledore sighed. "Justice may have been delayed, but it should not be denied any longer. Based on the available evidence, I believe Sirius Black is innocent of the crimes for which he was imprisoned."

Madam Marchbanks concurred, "As do I. The evidence presented is compelling enough to exonerate him. What are we waiting for?"

Amelia, with a nod of finality, concluded, "Then it's unanimous. Sirius Black should be released immediately and all charges against him dropped."

With that, the three reentered the courtroom, ready to deliver a verdict that would not only change the life of one man but could potentially reshape the justice system of Magical Britain itself.

As the jury members re-entered the courtroom, Stroud felt his stomach churn. The confidence he had once displayed is eroding fast, and his mind raced through all possible scenarios, searching for some way to salvage his case. The last card up his sleeve is a risky one, but given the paled look on Fudge's face, he knew he has to play it.

Fudge is visibly shaken; his usually ruddy cheeks are almost as white as his flowing wig. The Minister has staked a lot on this case, and if Sirius Black is acquitted, it will be a political disaster for him. Stroud and Fudge exchanged glances, and in that moment, an unspoken agreement is made.

As the Jury resumed their seats, Stroud rose to his feet, cleared his throat, and said, "If it pleases the court, the prosecution requests permission to question Sirius Black under the effects of Veritaserum."

Amelia looked slightly surprised, but her face remained impassive. "This is an unconventional request, especially at this stage of the trial. What do you say, Defense?"

Ted rose, looking at Amelia and then at Stroud. "We have no objections. My client has nothing to hide." He confidently spoke when Sirius called him and whispered something into his ear. Ted nodded in understanding. "But my client seems to have a personal request he wants to make," he added and took his seat.

Sirius rose from his seat, speaking for the first time in his trial. "Your Honor, if it's possible, I'd like to be questioned only by Harry Potter," Sirius said, his voice tinged with a calm confidence that drew surprised glances from the crowd.

Stroud immediately objected. "Objection! This is highly irregular, Madam Bones! Mr Potter is a minor and not a legal expert."

Before Amelia could respond, Dumbledore, as a member of the jury, interjected. "Given the extraordinary circumstances of this case and the fact that Heir Potter is directly involved, it might be beneficial and you can forward your questions to Heir Potter." He said in a neutral tone and though fuming, Stroud nodded.

Amelia nodded. "Given the gravity of this case and in the interest of absolute clarity, I will allow it. Heir Potter, please proceed."

Stroud felt a glimmer of hope. If he can catch Black in a lie, perhaps the jury can still be swayed. Yet, deep down, he knew he is clinging to straws. Nonetheless, as the Auror administered Veritaserum to Sirius Black, Stroud readied himself for one last attempt to win this precarious case.

He quickly scribbled his questions on a piece of parchment and handed it to Harry. "You can start with this," he said tersely with his eyes keen and expectant. "Ask these questions, Mr-" At Harry's narrowed look, he coughed, "Heir Potter. They're critical for us to establish the full scope of Sirius Black's character."

Harry glanced at the parchment. The questions listed seemed pointedly designed to cast Sirius in a negative light, some even veering off into irrelevant territory that had little to do with the charges at hand.

Harry looked up, meeting the gaze of the prosecutor briefly before turning his eyes to the jury and then to Amelia Bones. "With all due respect," Harry began, his voice steady, "I will ask the questions that I believe are relevant to the case."

He got Amelia's approval for that. Ignoring the prosecutor's visible irritation, Harry turned back to Sirius, who is under the influence of Veritaserum.

Harry took the parchment and read the question. He looked at Sirius, whose eyes are foggy but met his own with what seemed like encouragement. Then Harry began.

"Did you escape from Azkaban to seek revenge on Peter Pettigrew for betraying my parents?"

"No," Sirius replied softly, his voice steady under the influence of the potion. "I escaped to protect you."

The courtroom erupted into a murmur of surprised conversations, but Harry pressed on.

"Were you ever a Death Eater or did you support Voldemort in any way?" Harry asked in a calm tone though he heard gasps of surprise at the mention of Voldemort's name, he ignored them.

"No," Sirius said, the word resonating in the almost silent courtroom.

Harry took a deep breath, looking at the parchment Stroud had handed him before asking the last question he liked on the list. "Did you betray my parents, James and Lily Potter, to Voldemort?"

"No," Sirius replied, his voice filled with deep emotion, even under the influence of the Veritaserum.

Harry nodded, satisfied with the answers.

"How did you escape Azkaban? Are you an illegal Animagus?" Stroud jumped in, seeing his chance.

As Stroud blurted out his questions, a visible ripple of magic coursed through the courtroom. A sudden, palpable pressure filled the air, dense and electrifying. It is Harry's magic, surging forth unchecked in a moment of raw anger. His eyes blazed with an incandescent fury, locking onto Stroud as if willing him to withdraw the words.

Just as Sirius opened his mouth to respond, Harry's voice cut through the tension, sharp and icy. "Don't answer that, Sirius. You don't owe him an explanation." Harry's voice made many sweat in the chamber.

Amelia felt the undercurrent of magic in the room and immediately sensed the volatility of the situation. Her eyes narrowed at Stroud as she addressed him sternly. "Mr Stroud, this is a court of law, not a spectacle for you to interject with baseless accusations. You will refrain from such behaviour immediately, or you shall be removed from these proceedings."

The room seemed to collectively exhale as Amelia's words took effect, dissipating the electric charge of Harry's anger and establishing a semblance of order. Stroud shrank back into his seat, chastened and visibly abashed, as Amelia turned her focus back to the matter at hand.

The courtroom has already been a powder keg of tension, but the sudden flare of Harry's magic is like a spark to dry tinder. The members of the Wizengamot experienced witches and wizards all of them, felt the swell of raw magic and instinctively recoiled. Some gripped their armrests, their own magic rising defensively in response to the surge of power that filled the chamber.

Amelia felt a surge of respect for Harry but also a pang of concern. Her eyes zeroed on Harry who offered a bow of apology for her and the jury for his sudden outburst. For a young man to channel such immense magical strength spoke both of great potential and great danger if left unchecked.

Stroud's face paled, realising that he had not only crossed a boundary of legal decorum but had also poked a sleeping dragon. The seriousness of the situation seemed to weigh heavily on him at that moment, as he pondered the implications of his reckless inquiry.

For Sirius, the swell of Harry's magic is like a balm. The magic is so strong it managed to remove the effects of the Veritaserum on him. But he accepted the customary antidote, not wanting to raise suspicion that he was being untruthful.

Harry's concern warmed him to his core, knowing that Harry was willing to stand so fiercely by his side, even if it meant displaying his magical prowess in a room full of Magical Britain's most powerful figures.

As Harry's magic dissipated, and slowly reined back under his control, the room returned to a tense equilibrium. But the air remained charged, each individual acutely aware that they had just glimpsed the tip of the iceberg that is Harry James Potter. And that awareness tinged every subsequent moment of the trial with a mixture of caution, awe, and in some cases, a newfound respect.

Reporters in the gallery scrambled to jot down notes, but Rita Skeeter looked somewhat deflated. Her Quick-Quotes Quill is momentarily still as she realised the sensational story she had hoped for is crumbling.

Her eyes darted around, perhaps considering the angles she could spin this into, but the certainty of the Veritaserum complicated matters. Yet Harry's sudden magical outburst spiced things. Sirius Black is innocent, her juicy narratives will have to be significantly revised. Maybe she can focus on other people present to spin a wild story.

Fudge's face, already ashen, took on an even paler hue at Harry's magical outburst. The sheer force of the boy's unleashed magic seemed to compound his mounting anxieties, each pulse of power another nail in the coffin of his political aspirations.

For the first time, the Minister for Magic felt the weight of his miscalculations, the burden of a truth he had stubbornly refused to acknowledge: Harry Potter is not the docile child celebrity he had once thought him to be.

The fleeting eye contact between him and Amelia transformed, each realising that the stakes had escalated exponentially. In that gaze, Fudge felt a confluence of dread and reluctant acceptance, as if his thoughts of manipulating the jury had suddenly turned to ash. Whatever strings he had contemplated pulling seemed laughably insignificant now, dwarfed by the magnitude of the unfolding events and the palpable aura of magic still lingering in the air.

As Sirius is escorted back to his seat, a look of subdued triumph on his face, Fudge quietly whispered instructions to a nearby aide. It is damage control, pure and simple, but his heart isn't in it. His mind kept drifting back to Harry Potter, to that staggering display of magical might, and the undeniable fact that this trial is far bigger than just one man's career or even one man's freedom.

Rita's Quick-Quotes Quill twitched to life, scribbling furiously, as if desperate to capture the charged atmosphere.

The jury retired to a corner of the courtroom to confer. The atmosphere is tense but focused, as each member of the jury seemed to understand the gravity of the decision they are about to make.

Just as Amelia is about to suggest they return to announce their verdict, an aide to Minister Fudge hurriedly approached her. He whispered something in her ear that instantly caused her face to stiffen, her eyes narrowing in palpable anger.

"Madam Bones, Minister Fudge has authorised me to inform you that he is willing to offer substantial compensation to Mr Black, as well as additional funding to the Department of Magical Law Enforcement," the aide relayed discreetly, a hint of urgency in his voice. "This would serve as a formal apology from the Ministry for the years of injustice."

Fudge watched her intently, his face flushed but his eyes eager. It is a desperate gambit, a last-ditch effort to regain some semblance of control and perhaps, just perhaps, salvage his shattered political career.

Amelia weighed his offer carefully, then turned her attention back to the other members. Dumbledore's eyes met hers; a look of guarded scepticism coloured his features. She can feel Potter's intense gaze upon her as well, a hawkish gaze observing her every move.

Finally, she spoke, her voice carrying a note of finality. "While financial restitution is a step in the right direction, it cannot replace the years Mr Black has lost, nor can it repair the tarnished integrity of this courtroom. Tell the minister that his offer of compensation will be considered, but it does not absolve us of the responsibility to proceed justly and transparently."

She looked at Fudge, who seemed to physically deflate, his hopes of an easy resolution dashed. She dismissed the aide and continued her final discussion with her fellow Jury members. They all finally agreed on the verdict.

Returning back to their seats, she banged her gavel, its echoing report a clear signal that justice will not be swayed by political expediency. "The jury will now announce its verdict," she declared, leaving no room for further debate.

And so, in that high-voltage moment, the room collectively held its breath, awaiting a verdict that will not only determine the fate of Sirius Black but will also send ripples throughout the very fabric of Magical Britain.

"We have considered all the evidence presented before us," Amelia began, "and we are unanimous in our verdict."

She paused for a moment, letting the tension in the room build before delivering the decision that would change Sirius Black's life.

"Sirius Orion Black is hereby cleared of all charges, including the betrayal of Lily and James Potter, as well as the alleged murder of thirteen Muggles. The Department of Magical Law Enforcement will expunge his record, and he is to be immediately released."

Whispers of astonishment and sighs of relief filled the room. Amelia continued, her voice full of authority.

"Furthermore, the Ministry is ordered to compensate Mr Black for his unjust imprisonment." Amelia briefly consulted with a parchment and cleared her throat before addressing the courtroom again. "Upon deliberation, the compensation for Mr Sirius Black is set at 7 million Galleons. This amount reflects 250,000 Galleons for each year he was wrongfully imprisoned and an additional 4 million Galleons for the defamation of his name, given his status as the only member of the Ancient and Noble House of Black."

A murmur of surprise washed over the crowd, but Amelia continued unabated.

She looked directly at Cornelius Fudge, who was squirming uncomfortably in his seat. "And finally, Minister Fudge, you are hereby ordered to personally apologise to Sirius Black for your lack of foresight, wisdom, and due diligence—both for your actions years ago and for your recent attempts to subvert this trial."

Fudge's face flushed a deep shade of red. The courtroom is buzzing, but all eyes are on Sirius, whose visage has shifted from stoic composure to unrestrained joy.

She looked at Pettigrew, who has been recently ushered back into the chamber and now seemed to shrink even more into his seat, his chains rattling softly. "Peter Andrew Pettigrew, before we proceed with the full weight of your sentencing, let it be known that the Order of Merlin, First Class, previously awarded to you, is hereby revoked effective immediately. You have sullied not only its prestige but also the very ideals of bravery and nobility it stands for."

Amelia then refocused her gaze on her parchment, before looking back at Pettigrew. "You are charged with the betrayal of Lily and James Potter leading to their deaths, falsely implicating Sirius Black, and the murder of thirteen Muggles, in addition to being an Illegal Animagus."

She cast her eyes toward her fellow jury members, nodding as if to cement the severity of the situation, before refocusing on Pettigrew. "Given the overwhelming evidence, which includes your own confession under the influence of Veritaserum, this court finds you guilty on all counts."

Amelia's eyes, stern and unyielding, fixed back on Pettigrew. "You are hereby sentenced to life imprisonment in Azkaban, relegated to the highest floor reserved for the harshest of punishments. Additionally, an inquiry will be made into how you managed to evade capture for so many years, living as an Animagus. The court will also initiate an investigation into any potential collaborators or supporters."

As she concluded, the gravity of her words seemed to press down on everyone in the room, sealing Pettigrew's fate while signalling the urgent need for reforms within the justice system. With a final bang of her gavel, Amelia declared, "This trial is now officially closed."

And Cut.

That's it for this Chapter, folks. Hope you all liked it. Tell me, what you think of the chapter and story in general.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

See y'all in the next chapter.

Black Infinity 1289,

Ja Ne.

7