Prologue: Lonely Morning
61 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arc sneezed but gave it no mind and grabbed a nearby rock from a pile he previously collected. He threw it towards the canal and it plopped down with only a single hop before being consumed in the dark water. Usually he would have easily sent it skidding several times. 

“Something's off.” He didn’t bother to throw another stone, and just stared at the distortions rippling through the water. The chilly dawn breeze found him and sent a shudder down his spine.

This was followed by the preliminary bell chiming in the distance. It was the first day of the semester at the national academy. Specifically, he was to enter the White Crow School, one of ten schools of the academy, to train and prepare for the upcoming demon invasion. Rumors of their activities intensifying filled the public gossip. 

That said, although it was called a demonic invasion it wasn’t actually a serious affair but more of a game between the heroic and demonic factions on the twin worlds of Gemini Solace. Events were even recorded and broadcasted to the public as a form of entertainment.  

None of this inherently mattered to Arc. He was content moving at his own leisurely pace towards his goal: creating his version of the ultimate hero.   

In the meantime, he would root out evil and bring forth justice to the corrupt. Of course, if he could satisfy his lofty ambitions while wringing out the pockets of some rich noble kids then all the better. 

Arc smirked to himself and pushed away any lingering feelings. He had noticed a few ominous signs and there were thoughts gnawing at the back of his head but he had eventually decided to ignore them altogether. 

“It probably doesn’t concern me.” Arc decided it was time to make his way to the academy. However,  before he departed he found himself glancing at his bed. It was a shabby little thing, just a small sleeping bag. It was hidden in a dark alcove under the bridge that connected the two banks of the canal. 

His eyes lingered on the scene even after he checked he wasn’t missing anything. There was a feeling of numbness, but he pushed it down.

“Really I’m…” But Arc didn’t finish what he was saying and instead slapped himself. He couldn’t keep brooding and finally started moving. 

Arc hummed to himself with a slight smile as he filled his head with various schemes. No one else was around, but now that he was actually moving forward the silent air and lonely, dark streets only made Arc feel like a king. Even the previous chilly wind felt empowering. He knew this was going to be the changing point in his destiny.

 

2