V1 Rewrite. Ch 15. The master of war
467 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We successfully escaped the grove, and were no longer under threat of goblins. It was the time to have some rest.

The word 'rest' here just means slowing the caravan down, since neither of us wants to stay in the open, where there are no less dangers lurking.

Since the horses slowed down, and there was nothing threatening in the vicinity, I finally escaped the talkative merchant, and reunited with the 'Rogues'.

“Here you are, Fuji. How are we doing?” Albert reached for a flask, and passed it to me.

“A lot of small fries. We are doing fine.”

“How about you join us?” Elina patted her lap, inviting me.

“That is why I am here.”

[You don't expect me to sit on your lap, right?]

While I was trying to evade Elina's attempts at grabbing me and forcefully sitting me, I heard a shout.

SOMEONE, WE NEED HELP!

[Why the hell would anyone shout?]

Not only did I not sit down in a quiet place, I also had to return to the front of the caravan, where the merchant sits.

[He just had to call for me, and not anybody else...?]

What is going on?” I immediately asked him when I caught up with the wagon.

“Look over there, girl!” (M)

When I finally looked what is going on ahead I found the reason of his concern.

It was a huge brown-skinned something. There was no way to tell exactly what it was, since my eyesight is better only because it is night vision, and it doesn't let me see at long range.

One thing I knew for sure: it was a monster, and it was not going to let us pass in one piece.

"YOU TWO! STAY HERE AND GUARD THE CARAVAN!" I shouted to the lazybones, and headed out. After all, I am times sturdier.

I can predict that whatever it is, the fight will be a problem for me, especially if someone was to be in my way.


I faced the monster somewhere midway to the caravan.

It was a huge creature with pig face, and a weird weapon, a mixture of a mace, a sword, and an axe. I assumed it would be slow enough for me to evade some of its attacks.

With my tactic chosen, I proceeded.

I immediately prepared to pierce the creature's stomach, but it swiftly parried the blade. Not only my opponent was huge, it was also fast and skillful.

'You kidding me...'

I sent foxfire, but it hit the orc's clothes, which turned out to be similar to leather armor.

I continued trying to use my size and speed to my advantage, but the few attacks that connected showed me that the creature is very sturdy, and the blade barely does any damage.

While I was hesitating, it counterattacked and I had almost no time to block axe-sword thing. My naginata’s pole is stronger than it looks like so I managed to block this one attack. Yet, I wondered if my actual armor will hold against such a strong hit.

I was pushed back, and by the time I regained balance, the orc was already rushing at me like a train. It was clearly smarter than the stupid animals that charged at the naginata, so I had no choice but to keep trying fighting. After all, hysterically swinging the naginata might not be a skillful way to fight but at least it does its job well.

My lacking skill resulted in me getting hit several times. At first I evaded one or two hits, resulting in glancing hits against my armor. But the last hit was pretty bad.

'POM'

I was hit in the chest, and there was an unpleasant sound of metal rasp.

When I already started considering using the gear, I heard another shout.

JUST KEEP IT BUSY!” The voice came from afar, and it clearly did not belong to the known people.

Even though I was envigorated a bit, the fight was still proceeding worse and worse for me.

When the monster prepared to swing once more, an arrow hit its arm. I didn’t let this opportunity slip away and thrusted the blade in the orc’s belly. The attack did little damage but was already better than nothing.

WATCH OUT!” A feminine voice shouted something and was followed by an arrow hitting the monster.

[A warning for me? Thank you.]

The orc realized that I am a trouble, and started trying to keep me away. It was trying to kick me, and launch me away with its weapon.

RAAR!’ Suddenly, it screamed.

ATTACK IT WHILE YOU CAN!” An unknown guy attacked its back.

Without thinking too much, I charged at the orc, and poked it. The results were as discouraging as always, but it was damage nonetheless.

The guy and I were staying on the opposite sides of the orc, making it choose between us. Both of us were barely doing any damage, but the orc's irritation was quickly growing.

'RAAAAR!' It swung the weapon at me, and hit the top of my head.

Whatever it expected, it didn't work out. It was just a flesh wound, which only took away a few thousand HP...

While that huge dumbass was processing what happened and why I am still alive, it got another hit from me. I performed a point-blank foxfire attack against its face. The disorientated orc didn't notice me jumping up with all of my strength.

I dived from above, and aimed the naginata to pierce the monster's back.

With the kinetic energy I gained, and the damage done to the orc's armor, the naginata successfully turned into an armor-piercing munition, reaching past the orc's hide. Right into its soft insides. After a howl, the orc died.

“You did great, fox. You are something.” A guy approached me.

“Save your praises for somebody else. It was the worst of my fights.”

Yes, but whom else should I congratulate? I doubt that killing it has much to do with our help.” The guy grinned.

Another person approached me.

“Good job, you sure are a sturdy one.” It was a female archer, her face was covered with a piece of cloth but I could see her eyes that were blue.

“Thank you for the backup.”

Is that all that is on your mind? You won the fight against the Orc King!” The guy was staring with his eyes wide opened.

“Yes, great. YOU THERE, THE ROAD IS OPEN!” 

[I don’t care what it was, I just want to get into the town and have some sleep, damn it.]

Where are you heading?” The guy beckoned me to follow him.

He grabbed the orc's arm, and started pulling the monster off the road. I joined him in this endeavor.

“There should be a town somewhere. We are escorting that merchant caravan.”

We? Where are your companions then?” The archer looked at me with worry.

“Those two are not strong enough for that orc. They remained with the caravan.”

“There is only one town nearby, and it happens to be our home base. How about we accompany you as well? No money required, we just want to avoid walking there.” We finished pulling the orc's body, and the guy was wiping off the sweat.

“Fine by me, as long as the merchant is okay with that.”

And thus we gained 2 more escorts for free.

20