V1 Rewrite. Ch 19. Manifest Destiny
360 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
After they delivered every bag of loot, Elina and Albert were lying like logs.
They woke up in the midnight, only to start shouting at me.
"WHERE IS THE ENTIRE LOOT?!" (E)
"I don't know..."
"JUST WHERE COULD YOU DISAPPEAR IT?!" (E)
"I don't know..."
"AAARGH! So much effort, only for it to be for nothing..." (E)
"Relax, it's alright." My playing fool was a success, and Elina stopped pestering me about the bags.
"Whatever..." (E)
"Fuji, how many days were we out here?" (A)
"I think... 4 days?"
"And tomorrow will be the fifth...?" (E)
"Erhm... Yeah."
The half-asleep adventurers immediately looked sober, and started quickly packing everything.
Fuji, do you remember that THIS morning we’ll be escorting a merchant back to our town?” (E)
“You had an entire day to rest and sleep. What’s the problem?
YOU!” (A)
[Am I sorry? No, I am not.]


By the morning we arrived to the town, and while I was made pack everything at the inn, Elina and Albert were meeting with the caravan.
After the last of the half-asleep coachmen arrived, the caravan set out.
We were about to pass through the main gates, when a bunch of armored men blocked our way.
Their intentions were not appearing to be nice, but we were still in the town, and should I start ripping and tearing, the guard will most likely apprehend us.
As the chief trouble-causer, I stepped forward.
Are you the fox that was in Miska?” One of the men questioned me.
[Judging from their clothes and armor, they are not rich. While I, even though I wear a 'tablecloth', am wearing high-quality silk. Chests out, and be dismissive.]
Are you immortal, peasant?” I decided to risk.
How dare you?!” One of the men shouted at me.
You dare talking back? I may be patient but even the patience of mine… has its limits towards the peasants.” I was not intimidated.
Ugh… May I ask what is your name?” He started grinding his teeth.
“Why should I say that to a low-born?”
My… apologies…” They appear to be shocked by my back-talk. My try to put on a noble’s façade was somewhat successful.
Why you dared to stop MY caravan?
We didn’t…
You say I am wrong? Or you dare to defy me? I wonder if I should just kill you all on the spot!”
“…” The soldiers started hesitating, but hesitating if I am the real deal.
Without saying any more words, they ran away as fast as they appeared. For now I was successful.
Clapping
“Nicely done. I couldn’t do it better myself.” Another person stepped out from an alley.
“Drake, what a pleasant surprise.” My face grimaced with irritation.
“I assure you, those are not my people. No need to look at me like I am your sworn enemy. I am here just to give you a letter.” (D)
“I have no time for this.”
Just read it.” (D)
“…” I took the letter and quickly skimmed through its contents.
Retelling the contents in short… it is an invitation from the king. Usually that means that the king took interest in someone, and wants them to show up at once. For whatever reason.
Getting to meet a king is the last thing I want to do, so I dismissed the invitation.
“To hell with him. If he wants something, then let him come to me.”
“W-w-w-WHAT?!” (D)
I am already in trouble, and lese-majesty would not change much for me. If they are friendly, they may step down and make a concession, if they want to try my weaponry, let them come.
Fuji, I… you really better go!” (D)
"Listen, I never had an intention to cross paths with that king in the first place. I don't want to get involved with him, with this country, or with anything. If it is something all that important, then he might as well come to me himself. Otherwise, I would not be stepping out of my way to meet with him."
Drake clenched his fist and quietly said
Fuji, I am sorry but if His Majesty will want you brought to him, I’ll have no way to protect you.” (D)
“I won’t be an easy target to capture.”
“Farewell, Fuji. I hope that even if we meet again, it will not be in such… depressing situation…” (D)
With this we finally left the capital.
[Wait, IT WAS THE CAPITAL?!]


It took us a lot of time and effort to reach Crystal Town and when we (the 'Rogues') reached the inn where we are usually staying, after the door was closed I said to them:
"I think we are better to get the hell out of here, as far as we can. First some brigands, now that king. I doubt it will get better in the future."
"Great, we got into a deep mess. Thank you, Fuji." (A)
"You are welcome. We are not too involved with each other, so they may leave you alone. If you want to, you can stay here."
Fuji, you are an idiot…” (A)
"Don't make me laugh! Why would we want to leave you?" (E)
"You two..." I shook my head. Their determination was somewhat warming.
What are we going to do?” (E)
“I think it’s better if we go away from here. I suggest we travel somewhere far away from here.
Accepted!” (E and A)
We made another decision we might soon regret but for me this has no meaning. I can go wherever I want. My possessions are only my naginata and kimono. All my money is safely stored in another reality.
On the other hand, Elina and Albert had a lot of things to pack but because they are fellow adventurers (Poor as beggars and have so many things that it is possible to pack them all into a purse) they managed to pack everything fast.
We spent our (their) entire fortune to buy camping necessities, for example two tents, a small pot and a lot of dried food.
With this, we set out in search of adventures.
Sorry for the wall of text. Both patreon and scribblehub glitched for me, and I don't know if it is possible at all to correct this.

20