II. The World of Arant
146 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The planet of Arant is a world very similar to Earth, with one key difference: the existence of magic. Countries as you know them aren't the same: there's no England, no France, no Japan, no countries that really exist, but there are areas very similar to them in terms of culture. Time is measured in much the same way we measure it here, with days, weeks, months, all of that. There are two large moons in the sky, another difference from Earth.

Arant is a fantasy world with humans and other fantasy species as well. Technology isn't very advanced compared to our world. Most areas top out at technology and weaponry that was available in the American Civil War period, but some places have reached steampunk status, where things like fantastical machines powered by steam or clockwork could exist, and other poorer regions are locked into a more standard fantasy-type situation where tech is incredibly limited and hard to find. "Magical technology" also isn't out of the question, but isn't a major feature of the world.

As for how magic works, the general rule is: don't worry about it too hard. We're going with a soft magic system so writers can have creativity while approaching their characters, and don't feel too obligated to stick strictly to a system with very hard rules. Generally, people can either be born with magical abilities or learn magic over time, and magic is powered by energy usually referred to as mana. The main concern is keeping characters under a certain level of strength, which will be covered more in the rules.

 

This story centers around two factions: the Sage Coalition and Nova Ordo.

The Sage Coalition has existed for six hundred years and serves as a sort of "Illuminati"-type secret society which secretly controls many organizations/societies from the shadows. Many of its leading members are skilled magic wielders and their general goal is to shape Arant to their political ideals - which basically means that they want to be on top and keep everyone else at the bottom. Most members believe their aims are noble - sure, they want to conquer the world and establish themselves as an elite upper class who calls all the shots, but that’s only because they want to eliminate bigotry and other maladies from Arant. In their minds, the ends justify the means. Suffocating freedom to create peace is a tough choice, but one that needs to be made if Arant hopes to become a more “enlightened” world.

The Sage Coalition doesn't officially exist, and to most people in Arant the existence of any secretive order with aims at conquering the world is a mere conspiracy theory. However, they are very much real, and operate through a vast number of shell companies led by their members.

Nova Ordo is more recently founded - it's been around about twenty years - and is a rebel group which opposes the expansion of the Sage Coalition. They emerged from the poorer regions of the world and were founded by people who learned of the Sage Coalition's existence and goals. Most people in Arant either haven't heard of Nova Ordo or think they're a bunch of crackpots. Nova Ordo basically tries to interfere in any effort the Sage Coalition makes. 

Technically there are several branches of Nova Ordo. It's a disorganized, quasi-global rebel group, so there's no "official" leading body, but there is a nucleus of big name members who most branches respect. There are some who seek their goals peacefully, and others who employ more violent methods. Not all branches of Nova Ordo agree with one another on everything, but they're mostly united in their common goal to expose and eliminate the Sage Coalition.

10