Chapter 6- What Every Girl Wants, What Every Girl Needs…Home.
2.5k 12 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I stretched my legs then, I sat up in the bed and stretched my arms and back out. My mind was clear and I felt lighter somehow. Looking around the room I couldn't see anything. Is it night? I wondered. how long was I out? Looking around the room some more I noticed something, 8:20 pm. The digital alarm that was bought at the mall had been placed on my nightstand. When did that happen? More importantly, the last I knew it was like 15 past 7. So not much time has passed after all. Maybe? 

I heard a fluttering sound near the door, and the light suddenly came on. "Ahhh!" I yelp shielding my eye's from the sudden brightness. "Warn me before you that!" 

"Oops sorry." Tulip fluttered on over. "Good evening. How are you feeling?"

"I feel good considering. How badly that hurt." With that thought, I then whirled on Tulip with an icy glare. "You know speaking of warning!  You could have told me that was going to hurt like that."

Tulip looked both a little embarrassed and defensive. "Hey don't blame me! Thing is, I didn't even know how bad that was going to be. Thinking about it, it makes sense that it would hurt. I mean that was a ton of divine energy being shoved into your little body." 

I was confused. "How did you not know that it would be like that?" 

"Hey, it's been quite a few millennia since that spell was used to create a hero! Hell, even all of the old farts that teach at the academy are too young to have been around at that time? I guess some info just got lost to time."

"Ok three things," I said holding up three fingers. "One. That's a hell of a detail to just lose." One finger down. "Two. There's an academy for this?" Two fingers down. "And three. How long do you people live?"

"Ha, well I agree that is a detail that needs to be in the textbooks." She paused. before answering the questions. "Yes, there is an academy and a whole village as a matter of fact. I myself am only a century, but as for my whole race our life span goes for about 5 millennia." She had on a solemn look on her face then said under her breath "Well most of us."

"What?" 

"Nothing just talking to myself, nothing for you to worry about." Tulip then changed the subject. "So just a quick and easy test. Can you by chance see my little house up here?" She fluttered up just beside it. 

It was a birdhouse. Just floating there, I could see little ripples around it like the air was water. I remembered seeing before but was thinking that maybe I imagined it considering my state at the time, but no, it was real. "Yeah actually! I saw when that one guy was here too." I thought a moment. "who was that anyway?"

Tulip put on a pouty face, which I had to admit was kind of adorable. "Oh him, he was just some old doctor they knew." She paused looking a little upset. "I'm sorry." She then said suddenly.

I finally climbed out of bed. I looked at her not sure what she was apologizing for. She answered before I could ask. "I was very tired after performing the ritual, and could just leave you naked on the floor. So use what little magic I could still use safely I got your parents attention so they could take care of you."

That was nice her, but why was she apologizing for it. I started to ask why, but once again she explained before I could. "Because of the ritual you were looking bad shape, which is normal, but they didn't know this so they keep coming around to check on you. I tried to make it look like you were getting better with some illusion magic, but I guess I was still too weak. In the morning they then called him. When a new hero is created the magic needs some time to settle. It goes through highs and lows before stabilizing. During the lows it normal for the hero to wake up on their own, but it's dangerous to wake a person during the highs because the magic could either dissipate, and we would have to do it all over again, or it could have killed you."

"Killed me?" I said shocked

"Yeah, but you're alive, and you see my house so, that's good! The fact that you can see through my invisibility spell means the divine energy took root within your soul."

There was one detail that bothered me "You said, 'in the morning' Is today Sunday?

S"Sunday evening to be exact. You've been out just a little over 24 hours."

I couldn't think of anything that could surprise me anymore. "Oh wow, a new personal record, I'll have to find time to break it one of these day's." I joked.

Tulip laughed "Well if you ever find the time let me know I might join you."

"Sounds good well make it a date." I joked again. Now we were both laughing

After a few seconds, Tulip tried to get us back on track. "Ok. I would like to teach you a thing or two about the new you before this nights over. So you might want to get change so we can begin."

"Changed?" That's right I was buck naked when I collapsed during the ritual. Looking down I was horrified I was in a pink dress. The horror must have clear all over my face because Tulip was holding back laughter. Thinking back it looked familiar. Then I remembered, the sundress Pinkzilla had worn on our trip to the mall. "Where did this come from?"

"Oh, your mother pulled it off the bed, and put it on you." Tulip still had a big smile on her face.

That made sense now. Pinkzilla had said that she would pick out an outfit for me, but I never saw it, because it blended in with the rest of the bed. Trying to play it cool I said. "Alright, whatever you need to explain do it while I change."

I took the dress off and threw it in the corner expecting to it hit the floor near where the suitcases were. Instead to my surprise, the suitcases were gone and in their place was the desk and chair that I and Pinkzilla had picked up. Well, a whole day past so, I guess, Lethal Weapon had to do something while I was dying before his eyes. I thought to myself. Putting it out of my mind I turned my attention to the dresser. 

"Well, let's see." Tulip began. "For starter's a hero has enhanced physical abilities." I had put underwear on by this point. "If I were to put a gauge on your strength I would say you could easily wrestle a bear." I was deciding between a tank or a tee as I listened. "You are likely able to jump, at least a two story building." I put on a plain black tank top. "your reflexes will have been improved, so you can likely dodge most bullets." I was going to put on jeans, but then Tulip said something that made me change my mind. "Not sure about overall speed, cars didn't exist in the time of old heroes, so whether or not you can outrun them at top speed is a bit of a mystery." I had finished the outfit with some athletic short's so I could test out this running thing easily. 

Sitting at the desk chair I putt on some low cut socks. "So that's it? Just physical stuff?" I asked

"No there is two other thing's. The one to focus on now isn't much of an ability as much as it is a perk." She said 

"Perk? What kind of perk?" I asked all done with my socks. 

"Well think of it as a "hideout" for hero's." Before I could ask she explained. Is it just me or was she was getting good at predicting my questions? "The first set of powers is called elemental control, it allows you control of the element's, fire, water, etc. The second set and most important thing to you right now is called dimensional shift. This will allow you to reach out with your mind a manipulate an object's dimensional space, or bend space to make distances shorter." She stopped to think. "bend space" Does that mean what I think it means? "Accessing your "hideout" is going to require me to teach you dimensional shift first."

"Ok then let's get started." I was eager to get this started.

"Right! Dimensional space! The first ability you should learn in this set is called Space warping, the concept his hard to grasp but..." I then cut her off.

So it was what exactly what I thought! "Wait I can I go to warp speed!?!" Tulip looked both annoyed by my interruption and confused by my statement. "What I mean is, your telling me that I can bend space to create a shortcut from point A to point B. Right?"

Tulip appeared beyond baffled. "How did you know that? Has knowledge on this planet gotten to that point? She then spoke under her breath, but I still heard every word. "Worthless old farts didn't cover this at the academy either." 

"Um, I guess. It all fairly basic info in this day and age."

"Well, that saves me some time. There are limitations, however. You must be familiar with the surroundings of the destination before you warp. Otherwise, you could end up hurting yourself." She warned

"Right no hurting myself got it." 

"I shall demonstrate." Except for her wings Tulip stayed perfectly still, her eyes focused in concentration, then vanished. I was an impressive display and I couldn't wait to try it out for myself. She then reappeared with my sneakers in each hand. "You are going to need these." She dropped them at my feet. After thanking her I quickly put them on.

Thinking of a good joke, I stood up. "Alright, Number. 1 let's get started, I already know where I want to go."

Once again I had confused Tulip. "Number. 1?"

Poor thing was completely uncultured. "Nevermind, let's get going."

Tulip nodded. "Right then. You ready then?" She came and rested on my right shoulder, using the top of my ear to balance herself.

"Make it so," I replied as deep as my girly voice could go.

Although clearly weirded out by my response, Tulip ignored it and began instructing me on how to clear my mind and imagine the destination as I remembered it. She told me to select a spot unobstructed by obstacles. After doing as told, I failed. Three times in fact. A whole hour had passed by this point. It was slower going than I thought it would be, but it finally clicked in my head eventually. Success! We were standing in a completely different room.

This was a living room. It was in a word rustic, the walls weren't painted in tan and brown colors were covered in dark wood paneling. The trim around the doors and windows was stained in walnut. The entrance was behind me, a television mounted on the wall to my left, below that an entertainment center which boasted a sick sound system complete with a record player, and collection of old vinyl's. To my right, a brown leather couch and a coffee table made from a tree stump. Just in front of me a stone fireplace. It was dark in here of course, but I didn't need light to know what it looked like. I was home.

"I can't see anything!" Tulip exclaimed. I moved around the coffee table to the side of the couch to turn on a lamp. "Ah, that's better." She looked around. "Nice place, is this where I think it is?" 

"Yep, my place." I walked over to the record player. 

"Shall we get started on the next thing then?" Tulip asked still examining the room.

"No, just give me this for a minute." The record already on the player would work just fine. After turning on the speakers, I moved the needle over and it began to play. I stood with my eyes shut, head held back. Letting my body soak in the hits of Creedence. 

 

This would have been out Sunday except when going over it during proofread I realized something. I hated it! So I rewrote the whole thing your welcome. Also Creedence Clearwater Revival anyone? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_E1rjmoIAo

 

46