Chapter 7- Gearing up! Going out!
2.3k 9 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With the melody of CCW playing in the background. I walked around my own house for a minute. The kitchen, it's entrance just to the left of the fireplace. The floor transitioned into stone tile here. From the entrance to my left in the far corner was the cabinets with a dark granite countertop and countertop stove, a toaster over sitting beside that. A single window hanging above the sink on the far wall. Beside that a red refrigerator from the 1950s, that came with the house. I remembered fondly how I spent hours on the internet trying to find the right part's, so I could get the old girl working again. 

Walking over to the refrigerator I opened it, looked at the contents just as I had left them. I reached for a beer. Then stopped remember my current problem then opted instead for a soda. Maybe it was because of everything going on in my life, but somehow it was refreshing the most refreshing soda I ever had in my life. I chugged that shit. Gave a satisfied and audible and satisfied burp. Crushed the can and shot it NBA style toward a trash can in the corner. Score!

Tulip was hovering in the doorway looking at me like I had gone crazy. "Having fun?"

"Yes, I am, actually!" I happily replied. Despite how I sounded I was conflicted, it was relaxing to be home, but I had realized how much I took the old place for granted. Only just a few days had passed since I was last here, and due to the ridiculousness of those days, it felt like a year. First I get a letter from the IRS about possible tax fraud. After I looked over my records myself. I found that my accountants had been stealing from me, and doing a poor job at hiding it. I had to become myself again to clear my name.

I stood there for a while longer taking in the sight that was the inside of my house. The soda I had just drunk must have run straight through me. Because suddenly I had to go. "Um, Tulip." Tulip who was looking over my fireplace looked over. "Give me a minute more would you, I'll be right back."

There were two sets of stairs in my house. Both were narrow in width and sat side by side right there in the kitchen next to the doorway. One went up the other went down into the basement. Both had a restroom, but for no reason, in particular, I opted for upstairs. This was I small so the second floor didn't have much just two separate rooms a bed and bath. Shortly after I had taken a left into the bath, and was done with my business. I washed my hand and looked up. I saw a little Asian girl in the mirror, with straight black hair down to the shoulder. The only thing I recognized about my old self was my blue eye's. I had avoided this back in the other house. Sure I had already seen myself like this on my ID, but that was different from a mirror. To be honest I had no intention of looking at myself like this, in the first place. I was home, and I had let down my guard. 

As I looked myself over I had to laugh. To think all of reality itself had been changed to make me this. That when something occurred to me. something that didn't make much sense. I went down the stairs and turned into the living room. I found Tulip examining a bunch of DVD and CD titles I had stored in a corner close by the fireplace. "Before we start with anything new I have a question for you."

She looked up at me curious. "What's up?"

"Why does this exist?" She didn't look like she understood. "I mean my house. If I'm Lilyana now then shouldn't Tim be...Like never born or something."

"Oh, I see what you're asking." She nodded thoughtfully. "Yes well it has to do with The Rule we spoke about a few day's backs. The Gods of this universe declared a long time ago that nothing, aside from themselves, of course, could have to much power so there were three limits placed on wishes. One, A wish can not change time. Two, a wish can not cheat death. Three, a wish can not erase what exists. All I did was alter you and a few memories. Not your memory's, but your parents, to help you fit into their life's better." 

"Oh, that make's sense I guess. That also means that I'll likely be declared missing any day now."

"If you are not already." Tulip pointed out.

This presented all kinds of new problems. Most notably with the IRS. "Right let's get started with the rest shall we." I needed to become my old self again and fast.

Tulip approves of this Idea. "Alright, let's get you opening up that "hideout" then shall we. In truth, it's more your very own pocket dimension, created just for you when the ritual was performed." 

I had a question. "Wait, not that this doesn't sound cool and all, but why does this exist? Can't I just set something up somewhere and use my warp powers to get there."

"I'm glad you asked," Tulip responded. "There is an historical, and still existing reason for it. People are just too clever for their own good. They kept finding out where the heroes went to rest their heads. The hero would then come back after a long day fighting evil to find, that either all of their stuff was gone, or some poor fool was waiting for them. To challenge them and bring personal glory to their name! And so the ritual was tweaked to include this safe space." 

"Oh really." I began to laugh.

"Care to let me in on the joke?" Tulip asked she clearly didn't like being left out.

"I'm sorry, Its just, as a solder. I've made it a point never to underestimate people. So just imagining these demi-god like being's, getting pushed around like that is, well I just find it funny is all." 

Finally getting the joke Tulip also laughed. "Ok, when putting that way I guess it is, kind of funny."

"Anyway, how do I get there? Warping?" I ask

"You concentrate much the same way, but after that no." She looked over at the still playing record player. "How about getting that music turned off, so there is no distraction. Trust me concentration will be key here."

Somewhat begrudged as I hated turning off a good song in the middle, I did as told. Tulip rested on my shoulder like before. The instructions were mostly the same in the beginning. That did change. Before I was asked to imagine my destination and then just place myself there. This time I was instead asked, to try and feel the room I was in. To feel the very foundation of reality itself. This was much more difficult than warping. If I were to guess I would say that it was like half past 10 by the time I got it right. As I unzipped reality to create a doorway to my "Hideout."

"Ha, finally!" I brain felt Kentucky fried by this point, but there it was. A doorway, it edges shining like LED rods, but beyond that, there wasn't anything else to it. Looking through the door all I could see was just what I would see if it weren't there, the interior of my house.

"Well done. That's exactly what it should look like." She said looking proud. "After you." She then said with a bow.

"Right." I was kind of nervous. After walking past the "door frame" the scenery suddenly changed. I was on a plot of freshly cut grass, with oak and evergreen tree's dotted throughout. There was more than just a few things that stood out as, not of this world, however. First was the gold sky, it twisted and warped and rippled like I was having an acid trip. That wasn't all though, the horizon was the next thing I noted as weird, as in there wasn't one. From what I could tell I was in the middle of some kind of island. That for all I knew was just floating in midair. "Well, ok." I said looking back to the "door frame" I could no longer see my house through it, just more island. Tulip came through it looked around, and the door disappeared.

"Well now." Tulip Said. "Let's continue the lesson." 

"Really what else is there?" I asked.

"Well, this was just a small start. With this place, there is so much to do, but let focus on bringing in some personal items." 

"Personal Items? So what I just back through that door and grab a few things?"

"A little more complicated than that. See you can use your warping ability and this space together to send and bring things to you. Only limited by that thing being a personally owned item. As per The Rule."

"Anything at all?" I asked. Tulip nodded to confirm. I reached out with my mind to the one thing I needed most, and just like that there it was in all its glory. My house. That's right the very thing I just left behind back with me again. "All right. It's about time I got something first try." I said filled to the brim with pride.

Looking at the old thing, it wasn't very impressive. Just a small humble home, with blue siding and a grey steel roof. In the back was a matching two car garage, completely separate from the house itself. 

Tulip looked like she didn't know what to think. "Really? I'm sorry I guess I didn't expect you to go whole hog like that on your first try. Anyway what so special about it that you'd put a giant hole in the ground for it."

Whole in the ground? I didn't think of that. Oh well, I did have reasons, beyond it being just mine. "I'll show you. follow me." I lead the way back into my house and headed for the basement. To anyone else, it would have looked like any other basement that belonged to another person. Water Heater, washer and dryer, A room separated from the rest of the basement to make a small restroom.  A weight set in the far corner. It was just before the weight set that set this basement apart from all the others. A wooden shelving unit full of canned foods and other emergency items. Reaching behind the shelving unit I pulled a lever and with a push, the whole thing rolled to the side.

Tulip's jaw dropped. "How many weapons do you need!" 

Behind the self was my personal armory. From .22 LR's, all the way to your big .50 BMG Barrett. "How did you not know about this already? Didn't you have to scan my life or something?"

"No, what I did was find things that I could reconfigure and use for your new life. I wasn't looking for all of this! Honestly, I'm a little worried about you." I could see that the concern in her eyes was genuine. Which I found amusing.  "What's so funny?"

This wasn't the first time I had heard something like this. In truth, I was just a collector and hobbyist who enjoyed going out to the range now and again. "Nothing." I lied. Well, will this all help, or do hero's just bare fist everything to death?

"No, this will help. Do you want to get started now? If so you are going to need something to hide your face." Tulip said

"My face?" 

"Yes, it doesn't have to even be face wear. This is one moment where I come in handy. I can place up to two enchantments on a personal item of your choosing. At the academy, we were told about cameras and how they're increasing in number. After seeing for myself, I believe the professors may have unintentionally downplayed just how many were out there. So I think an enchantment to keep people from placing your face while your out would be a good idea, mostly for the protection of the people you currently live with."

Nodding my head in agreement, I took one step into the gun vault. On the wall hanging by the door was some surplus combat equipment. I grabbed a pair of combat goggles. "So, something like this will work?" 

"Yes, that would be perfect. I said up to two remember enchantments, so anything else in mind?" 

I gave it some thought and could only think of one thing. "Yes actually, the biggest problem we had in the middle east wasn't the enemy, but the fact that our shit was always in need of some kind of repair."

Tulip looked as though she approved. "Yes, the old heroes often used enchantment like that to keep their blades sharp." Give me a moment. 

After that moment we were off, back into the city where the current me called home. Starting at the only place in this city I was familiar with. The parking lot of the mall Pinkzilla took me to. Tulip stated that there was still more to be done it the field of dimensional shifting, but wanted me to get a grasp on physical abilities before calling it a night. What better way to do that then getting my hands dirty.

I've always been athletic but jumping from building to building in a single bound, made me feel unstoppable. Tulip flew a good distance into the city with me on her tail, before she stopped. I landed beside her on the roof of a three story building. 

"Alright, you're going to need a point to warp to so get familiar with this roof." I shrugged my shoulders and studied the rooftop. After some time Tulip landed on my shoulder then said. "In order to find evil I must guide you." Before I could ask how she took a deep breath closing her eyes exhaled and opened her eyes again. To my surprise, they were now glowing a sharp white. She then pointed and said. "That way." Her voice had also changed sounding as if it were echoing within her mouth.

I when that way. To find a poor 24-hour store clerk being robbed. The thief was exiting the store as I approached. Before coming out I had further equipped myself with a gun and holster. The gun was an old 1911 design, however, its ammunition was new. Only one company made both. .50 G.I based on the old.45 ACP just with a larger bullet, and being based on such an old and reliable platform, I was curious to see what it could do.

I parkoured around the thief so fast, he didn't have time to register that he was under attack. POW POW POW, three shots, one gun out of his hand and broken. Also two knee's, now broken. I heard him scream in pain, and moved on to the next one, as Tulip directed. 

 

37