Chapter 16- Big Trouble in Chinatown.
1.6k 10 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Coming home, Pinkzilla went to make dinner. While Little Brother and I went upstairs to do homework. We each wordlessly went to our rooms. We haven't spoken to each other much since our first meeting, so I don't think Little Brother knew what to think of me quite yet. 

I wasn't worried about it. The whole reason I kept nicknaming everybody in the first place was my method of keeping them at arm's length. After all, getting too attached to these people was a bad idea for someone who wanted out of this place.

Walking through the door of the Pink Room, I found Tulip sitting on the perch of her birdhouse. 

"You, done?" 

"I am, all enchantments are complete." She sounded a little tired. "You really put me to work, you know."  

"Sorry, you still good for tonight?" 

"I'll be fine. Enchanting is a mandatory course at the Academy. Just never had to do so much in one go."

"We still got plenty of time before nightfall, so take a nap or something."

Tulip stretched her arms. "I think I might do just that." With that, she went inside her home.

I may have told Pinkzilla I had homework to do up here, but in truth, I already finished it at school. 

Instead, I sat at my desk and pulled out my phone checking the new's. I wasn't sure what I would find, but usually, local news covered local crimes and if there was murder at large or something else maybe I could hunt the guy down. 

I wasn't disappointed either there were a few Man Hunts taking place in the city. How I would find these people before the cop's, however, was a mystery. Last time I just picked off people who were already in the middle of a crime, but its always good to try expanding your horizons. 

Then a surprising, yet not unexpected story came up, about a vigilante. I wonder who that could be? 

Turns out the cops don't like me much, didn't expect them to, but I got a bunch of dangerous people off the street, so whatever.

So yeah, there I am patting myself on the back for a job well done when they drop a bomb on me. The mayor's office in all it glorified wisdom let them all go. Their reason for this wasn't surprising I mean vigilante's are never looked at fondly by law enforcers, but the justification for their reasoning was just stupid.

Racism.

Yeah, racism.  

I am more than certain that I shot up people of all kinds of races out there but apparently, the neighborhood is stuck to last night primarily Hispanic. LIKE I KNOW THAT! I AM NEW HERE DAMN IT!

"AAARRGGG, WHO THE HELL ELECTED THIS ASSHOLE!!!"

"Ah what's wrong?" Tulip came out of her home looking worried.

"They let them go! All of them!"

"Who?"

"The Mayor's office! All those assholes I shot up! Sitting in a hospital licking their wounds ready to terrorize again any day now!"

"Oh." Tulip took a deep breath. When she exhaled her eyes lit up. "Ah, yes I see." She breathed deeply one more time and her eyes returned to normal. "I'm sorry, I was so busy with your equipment I forgot to check on that. I'm afraid no points will be awarded." 

"meaning only 25 in total. Right!?" I snapped, she flinched. I was angry, but not at her. "Sorry, I didn't mean to yell."

She seemed to understand. "It is alright."

Only 1 point for stopping the crime and 1 or more if that person or people are punished for it. That was The Rule. I knew this, but I put the punishment of those men in the wrong hands. Death was the ultimate punishment and a guaranteed extra point. According to Tulip, I had permission from God himself to deal it out regardless of the severity of the crime.

If those people were punished properly I would have an even 50, halfway to my goal of 100. "I've made up my mind."

"About?"

"Death, if that is how our so called enforcers of justice are going to act, then from now on everyone I point my gun at die's."

"If that is your decision then I have no problem with it." Tulip's response was cold and unfeeling, showing that she truly could not care either way.

Some time passed and I watched more new's. Tulip went back to her nap. A little while longer Little Brother and I were called for dinner. Lethal Weapon was working late and was not present. Pinkzilla, of course, asked questions about my first day. I was honest but vague. I felt kind of bed for being evasive, but the news put me in a bad mood. Much later night had fallen. Everyone else in the house had retired for the night. It was time to go to work.

Tulip and I were, at my place getting ready. This was the first time wearing my new outfit altogether. Last time I was just making adjustments so they would all fit me, and I was wearing one piece at a time. I have to say looking at myself in the mirror of my bathroom, I looked ridiculous. With this leather coat on and most of my attire being black, I looked like I was trying out for a roll in a Matrix remake staring children.

Whatever it didn't matter what it all looked like, but how it all functioned. As you might recall I am limited to two enchantments per item. I had Tulip put auto repair and fire resistance that way my clothes wouldn't burn faster then they could repair themselves. This was applied to all my clothing. Except for my goggles which I already had her enchantment with auto repair and identity concealment, just before my first night out.

There were some other additions to my equipment. Under my skirt and on my left leg we have a survival knife, on the right a small medkit. Yes, a medkit, as impact resistant as my body was now I wasn't about to be caught with it. Just about the skirt on my "Utility Belt" we have two pistols at each side of my hips. Both 1911's, and with 6-inch barrels, on my left the one I used last time, the .50 G.I, the other was a .45 ACP. 

I planned on using the .45 cal a little more from here on. Although the .50 proved itself last time, it was still new, which meant there was only so much of it to go around, and I had plenty of .45 in surplus.

I also had a magazine pack for both guns, sitting just behind the gun holsters. I asked Tulip if there was any kind of unlimited ammo enchant. The answer was a hard no. Apparently, you can't create something from nothing. She did, however, inform me of an enchant that could act as a cheat on that the old heroes would use to make sure their quivers didn't run dry. So separate warping enchantments were added to the pouches. One to warp full magazines into the places where one has been removed, and another to warp empty magazines placed into the pouches back home.

This, of course, need two requirements met. The first was to have magazines loaded and ready to go, the second was a predetermined location the pull from or send too. Done and done.

After leaving home. I warped to an apartment complex rooftop that I had scouted out the first night. 

"Alright time to get started." I looked to Tulip who had already taken her position on my right shoulder. "Alright, where to?" 

After a deep breath Tulips eyes got all glowy like they did almost every time she did anything magical. "Whoa, That is a lot of activity."

"Where?" She seemed a little flustered by it which I found distressing. 

"That way." Like last time her directions were simple and to the point.

After a while of going "that way," I found myself in a section of town than could only be Chinatown. And what the hell was I looking at? All around men were assaulting and harassing bystanders, just people minding their own business when all of a sudden some asshole pushes them into a wall or pulls them out of their car. Shoving a paper in their face and yelling the same thing again and again.  

Was this some kind of mass interrogation? What were they looking for? Did everybody just forget to pay their protection money? I had no idea why this was happening, but I did know that this was illegal. Therefore they die. "So how many are talking about here? I see at least 10 already."

"34 people are involved in this uproar," Tulip answered  

"Right, got it." Leaping off the rooftop I was perched at. Mid fall I pulled out my knife and the .45. I was going to have to get close and personal to some of these guys because they were far to close to innocent people for my liking. 

Around my 5th or 6th kill, the remaining assholes took notice and pulled out guns of their own. I was moving way to fast for them, however. All 10 dead in almost no time at all. Tulip then directed me to the next street, and the next and the next. Shoot, stab, kill, repeat. At some point, I could here Police sirens in the distance. 

I found the final 4 guys standing in an alley around an old cheap looking four door brownish sedan. One guy was shouting in his cell phone, the others were patrolling the area with rifles. 

"Hum, that guy..." I said to myself in thought.

"What?" Tulip asked.

"That guy on phone, I have the feeling he knows what's going." I don't know if one of the three bodyguards heard me or if he just happened to look up at that time, but they spotted me. 

Of course, naturally, when the enemy spots you up on top of a building spying on them, they start shooting at you. 

I tried getting out of the way but despite my enhanced speed and reflexes a few of them connected with my right leg. This sent me falling off the roof and onto the pavement. By the time I had gotten up, they were already driving away to safety.

The auto repair on my pants/skirt was already doing its job, and bullets didn't go through my skin, thankfully. The guns they were using looked like AK-45s which would likely mean 7.62x39mm is what just hit me. Well at least I know I can survive that, here's to hoping I never find out the true limits of my magic bulletproof skin. 

Seeing that I was alright I went after the car. To their surprise, I caught up to them on the open road. To be honest, I was also surprised, they had to be going at least 30mph, and I was still uncertain of my magic-infused body's limits. 

Of course, when a little Asian girl is keeping up with your ride at that speed, the natural reaction would be to assume that somehow you ended up in a Japanese horror movie and hit the gas as hard as you could. Which is exactly what they did.

Away they went seriously I couldn't keep up anymore. Shit! what now? I opened up a Gateway home. The garage to be exact. Looking around I saw exactly what I expected, my old car that I kept around from my high school days, and my father's old Harley motorbike. Neither would work, unfortunately, not at my current size anyway. 

My old mini-bike on the other hand. Trotting over to the old thing I pulled off the cover that I had placed over it, there it was in all its red and dusty glory.

"Ok, so what are we doing?" Tulip asked. I didn't answer, no time. Needed to find gas.

Found the gas! Gas is now in the tank! This bike hadn't run in years, I turned the key a preyed. Some noise, then nothing. 

"Ok, I get it," Tulip exclaimed. she then sat on the bike handle. "Try again."

I did, and this time Tulip poured some magic into the bike. Boom! fired right up! "Thank you, Tulip!"

"Your welcome." She said taking her place back at my shoulder.

Sorry to interrupt the action but just some quick info on mini-bikes.

The 49 cc pocket bikes can reach speeds of 30 to 45 mph (48 to 72 km/h), and the 110–125 cc four-stroke bikes are capable of 60-80 mph. Gasoline-powered bikes are substantially faster and require more skill than off-the-shelf electric bikes, which typically can not exceed 10 to 15 mph (16 to 24 km/h).

I'm going for the 60-80mph version just so this chase is actually a chase.

I raced back through the Gateway. "Alright which way did they go?" I asked Tulip guided. After a few recommended shortcuts I was on them in no time. So were the city's finest. I guess when you are speeding away from a part of town where a lot of people were just killed, it doesn't look good. It looks even worse when your shooting at the PoPo!

Seriously these guys were just asking to be killed. 

Hoping that I could somehow get my prey before them. I swerved my way past the two squad cars and caught up to the head of the pack, a grey unmarked. The only sign that it was a cop car at all was the flashing lights in the back window and windshield. 

Putting my self lower to the bike for better aerodynamics. I began to pass the unmarked.

Then I heard a familiar voice coming from a speaker. "You on the bike! Pullover! Pullover now!" I looked back to see a man sticking his head out the window of the unmarked.

"Holy shit!" I yelled. It was none other than Lethal Weapon! I knew he was working late, but damn, fancy meeting you here. I wasn't sure who the driver was, though, nor could I get a good look at him under the circumstances. 

I all could really think about at that moment was how grateful I was to these goggles and their identity concealment. Otherwise, I'd be hearing something completely different over that speaker.

Unfortunately for him, I had no intention of complying. So I gave him a quick salute and revved the gas. 

The men it the brownish car stopped shooting, for now, I assumed they were out of ammo. I wasn't sure how I was going to lose the cops and catch these guys at the same time, but I had to think of something. The answer was just on the tip of my brain when the grey unmarked started pulling to the right side off me and jerked to left. 

My reflexes kicked in and I was narrowly missed. 

"They're trying to run you off the road!" Exclaimed Tulip.

"I can tell!" Considering my current living conditions I found Lethal Weapon's attempts to kill me, just plain wrong.

My bike was swift and nimble sure, but the car still outclassed it both in overall power and mass. I couldn't outrun it if I wanted to. Whoever was driving that thing was coming for another pass at me. This time from my left. I had a very stupid idea, but with my body being magically enhanced, I just might pull it off. I pulled out the .50, lifted up my legs and as soon as he started coming at me, I slammed them to the ground. Leaping over the grey unmarked, simultaneously shooting out the driver side front tire. 

"Whaaaa." I hear Tulip squeal in my ear. 

The landing was a whole other beast. I didn't want to damage the bike so I braced my legs as if I were doing a normal landing from a normal jump. Boom! As soon as my feet hit the ground, and put the bike's tires down as gently to the ground as I could. I hit the gas and shot off.

"Warn a girl next time! I hanging on for my life here." Tulip scolded

"Sorry!"

The grey unmarked went into a spin forcing the two squad cars to slam the brakes. Looking back I could see that the driver of the unmarked got the car under control. Lethal Weapon came out of the car and watched me drive off, after my target. Who just pulled into an ally thanks to a roadblock set up ahead. 

I slid the bike in after them to find my job to be far easier than I imaged. Apparently the ally was a dead end. The car had hit the wall hard enough to send the front passenger through the windshield. The driver and the man I wanted to talk to had his head against the steering wheel.

The other two were stumbling out of the car I made quick work of them with my .45. I Shut the bike down, opened a Gateway and rolled the little thing in. After shutting the Gateway, I walked to the car's driver and checked his pulse. 

"Is he alive?" Tulip asked.

"Yes." I reached over to the guy laying on the hood of the car and took his pulse. "This one's dead."

Sirens were getting louder. "Alright, buddy your coming with me." I grabbed the driver and warped Tulip, myself, and our new friend to the tallest building I could warp to.

Time for some answers.

Whew, this turned out to be a long one. I hope you enjoyed this story's first real action scene.

 

36