Chapter 17
185 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

~Evie~

Several hours later, the two of them laid across Damien’s messy bed. I rested comfortably in his arms. Feeling totally at ease and with a bone-deep comfort, I held my ear over his chest. The steady beat of his heart was soothing. If this was a dream, I didn’t want to ever wake.

Was this...heaven? I glanced at Angel Me, who had been gazing down at me in disapproval all this time. “Yeah, no.” The miffed little Angel Me barked out a laugh.

Oh well. It was my heaven. Here, with Damien. Post-orgasms--for there were many--and after a sixth round in the shower. Upon freshly changed sheets, breathing in his scent.

It was utter bliss. Nothing could be more perfect.

I was on cloud nine.

I idly drew circles over the other side of his chest and glanced up. He looked pensive, lost in thought.

“What are you thinking about?” I asked, wondering if he was as happy as I am and simply enjoying the company. After all these years of being disgusted with myself for the things I wanted to do with him, and at the same time knowing I wanted that regardless, I felt so much more free.

We’d crossed the line. There was no going back, ever. And I loved that, because I was determined to make this work. I meant what I told him, I’m so tired of hating myself for wanting him. Was he thinking of similar things?

He looked down at me. I couldn’t read him at all. He smiled, but that didn’t quite reach his eyes. There was no contentment like what I’m sure were reflected in my own. There was just...calm.

“Nothing important.” He kissed my forehead. “Get some sleep.”

I snuggled closer. “Lets.” Well, it wasn’t the reaction I expected. Maybe he was still taking his time coming to the realization of what they’d done. But that was fine. I didn’t mind.

We loved each other. We can get through anything.

***

I wasn’t sure how long I’d slept, or even what woke me. But when I opened my eyes, the first thing I did was reach over. I took note of the emptiness. “Day?” I called out. But he was not in the bed, and he was nowhere in the room, either.

I sniffed at the air. There was no smell of cooked food.

Strange. Where’d he wander off to at a time like this? He didn’t have to be at work until tomorrow, and there were no papers to grade.

I rose from the bed with a stretch and a yawn, then lightly hopped off. There was a newfound spring in my step, I noticed. Looking at the hickeys scattered over my body, that was no surprise.

I went to his closet and put on a shirt, then left to look for him.

“Day?” I called again, searching downstairs. He wasn’t in the living room, nor was he at the kitchen. Weird...

Where could he have gone?

I jogged to the bathhouse. Not there, either. What was going on? He just...left? Without saying anything? A note, a text?

My heart pounded. Worry sprouted. There was one last place to check. If he wasn’t there, I’m calling the police. The military, navy. The freaking coast-guard if I have to.

Thinking so, I ran back upstairs and past his bedroom. Further down was their father’s old study. Damien had been using it as an office of sorts.

I turned the knob, but it was locked. It was never locked. “Day? Day, it’s Evie. You’re in there, aren’t you?” There was no answer. But somehow I Just knew he was behind this door. “Day, this isn’t funny.” My hands started to turn cold. Something was wrong. “Open the door.”

Nothing. Not a peep.

Panic set in and raced to my room. I started going through all my old things until I found a book. I barely remember my father, but I do remember there was a very special book he’d often read to me. He gave me a key to his study so that whenever I wanted I could go and have him read to me. Even if he was busy he’d put everything on hold and sit me on his lap, reading till I would fall asleep.

Finally, I found it. The book, the key. But I didn’t waste time on nostalgia. Instead I sprinted back to the study and all but jammed the old key into the lock.

The scene inside chilled me.

Damien stood near the window, curtains drawn. In one hand was a glass of what was surely alcohol. But in his other hand, a gun. He seemed to not even notice her come in. Or if he did, he didn’t react.

“Day!” I screamed, scalp numb.

He turned to me. “Evie?” His eyes blinked into focus. “What’s wrong?” His words slurred slightly. How much had he drunk?

I all but ran to him. “Me? What’s wrong with you? Why do you have that? Put it down already!”

He looked down at the gun. His eyes darkened for just a second. Then turned clear again. He took a breath and calmly set the glass down.

“I was going to clean it.”

He was lying. I knew he was lying. But why was he lying?

“Day, you can’t leave me again,” I told him. My chest felt like something heavy was pressing down on it. “I love you. You know I do, so...so just put it down, okay?” I reached for his arm, wanting to take it away.

He turned, placing it out of my reach.

“Day?” I called out softly, trying not to cry. I couldn’t. Not now. But he wasn’t listening to me

He just stared down at the metal piece. “Sometimes that’s not enough, Evie.” He replied, finally And put it into a drawer.

I immediately slapped him. Hard.

"Don’t you ever do that again!” I hissed at him. “Do you hear me? Never!” But he took my anger in silence.

The calm I’d seen before came over him again. That quiet, disturbing calm. “And how would you stop me?” He asked softly, making me shiver. Not from arousal or anger, but fear.

I broke.“Day, please,” I felt hot tears pour down my face. I hated it, but they wouldn’t stop.“Just please, don’t.” I begged him. “Stay with me.”

His smile turned indulgent. But his eyes, they were dull and empty.

He took her in his arms. Despite that, I’ve never felt further from him.

“You’re so selfish, Evie.” He held her tightly. “...I really hate that.”

2