Chapter 20: Envy
629 1 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arriving back in America, Liam departs earlier than Tony as he didn't want to meet him after the events back in Afghanistan.

While those two had settled their differences, it still not mended their relationship as Liam still remembers that Tony was the one who put him into danger while having to witness someone die in front of him.

Tony tried to talk Liam into apologizing for his mistakes yet realizing the events that had happened, he needed to go back to the company and report, thinking of shutting down the weapons department in an attempt to redeem himself of the crimes his company made and probably atoning for Yinsen who had left this world.

Liam was still down after the incident and decided to run back home in the comfort of his Aunt.

It wasn't the death that kept him awake during their return but the haunting nightmares of him being unable to protect someone brought Liam's memories of the past, the time he was still stuck back in that damned place.

A cold and empty room where he could still hear the cries of his mother, the laughing of the men who he couldn't beat, and the powerless hands he couldn't do back as a kid.

The events of Afghanistan had brought back those repressed memories of Liam who still was tormented by the past and anger rages slowly in him, realizing how powerless he was.

'I'm still weak. I still couldn't protect someone I cared about. He died because of me...' Liam felt like he slowly grow jealous of people like Peter or his uncle who was strong, unable to become like them no matter how hard he tries.

He wanted to get away from the events that led him like this as he decided to just take a train home, just wanting to rest at the safety of his place and slowly forget the events that had transpired.

Sitting on an empty seat on the train, Liam decided to take a rest when a hooded person enters the train and tried to find a place to sit.

Seeing that Liam had a spare seat available, she decided to take a seat next to him which he didn't mind, and just took a rest.

The trip on the train was normal as the girl beside Liam began to act unnatural, almost seemingly afraid of something which he felt like he couldn't rest if she doesn't stop.

"What do you think of mutants?"

Liam decided to ask a question he recently taught, trying to forget his experience by talking to the girl about how she sees mutants.

Having recalled his friends before leaving him, he decided to use this subject as a conversation starter, trying to have a conversation such that he wouldn't try to be awkward in being silent next to her.

"......."

"......."

'Goddammit Uncle, how do I escape from this situation?' Realizing that the girl next to him was silent, Liam realize that he didn't have the same charm as his uncle and felt that it was too awkward.

'Should I try a lighter one by talking to her casually' or 'Be more like Uncle that would flirt with her or something?' Due to his few interactions with girls, Liam tried to hide his embarrassment from her and wanted to get out of this conversation.

"I apologize for my words..."

"Do you think mutants can be happy?" The girl stares at Liam with a depressed look, trying to find something in her life or being at a loss to see her future.

Rogue had just left the mansion after hearing from her crush, bobby that the professor was angry about having her powers being out of control and knew she was a danger even to that place.

Not knowing where to go, she decided to run away and find a place to stay which she ended up heading to a train station which should taken her far away from the place. Still thinking of the time she had accidentally harmed Logan, she shuddered from the fear and had intentionally woke Liam up.

Liam wanted to converse with her to lighten up the mood but had intentionally touched upon a sensitive subject to her that she decided to fire upon a question right back at Liam which he was stunned and felt like he couldn't understand.

Seeing his look, she turned depressed, thinking that a non-mutant like him wouldn't understand someone like her.

"You know...I'm jealous of mutants." Liam said with a sad look, causing Rogue to stare at Liam with a puzzled look of surprise.

"You know, non-mutants always fear the unknown because they live in a world where powers cause more harm than safety but put them in a dire place where being powerless means you suffer a worse fate than death and people will want to beg to be given powers to save their skin."

Liam's experiences of the two events cause his mindset of fearing Mutants to shift drastically.

He saw that mutants were shunned while people enjoy and fear the things they created and didn't realize the consequences of their actions.

What if all the mutants truly band together and take over the world?

He can see things that would greatly change the world and see how the monsters they created, would one day harm them. Only just one bad day can change a person instantly.

They didn't realize that their ignorance of this was something they couldn't see, mutants that want to co-exist which just want to be like them and step out of the world. Be a normal person for a change.

For Liam, he didn't question that possibility but felt envious of mutants themselves.

Why couldn't I be given powers like them? Why am I not mutant as well?

He wanted to have powers to save his mom, he wanted powers to save Yinsen and even powers that help others, even if he were to be hated eventually for having them.

Yet...

'I couldn't save them all....' Liam still felt upset that the events are like a film in which he couldn't touch and only could see unfold right in front of his eyes, the regrets of his decisions of being helpless and powerless to stop.

"I wish I was a mutant...." Liam finally said the thing he desires, the thing he wanted to for so long after the events that had transpired....

Power....

Rogue could see that Liam was the opposite to her, the person who desires to have something she didn't want.

On that train, two people began to feel their fate connect. One who wishes to get rid of her mutant powers, the other that desires power....to protect?

27