Chapter 254: National Principles
266 4 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Of course, the proclamation of the Empire, and her own acclamation as Empress, nixed any plans the others might have had about the progress of the talks right then. Not Regina’s, of course, she’d directed it. But they didn’t get much other negotiating done that day.

The hive and, she suspected, her allies had decided to make it into a bigger thing than she’d originally intended. Tim gave an impromptu and mercifully short speech about the founding of the Empire for the gathered hive drones, with the other delegates watching from the sidelines. He mostly just announced the nation’s birth and outlined their goals and ideological foundation drawing from what Regina had said. They cheered and then started an impromptu celebration. Regina bowed to the occasion and had the best wines and liquors they’d gathered distributed, with most of their stock given to their guests, since Hivekind generally didn’t like alcohol, and the less expensive drinks opened to the inhabitants of the town. They were her subjects now, too, in a way they hadn’t been before.

The next day, Regina and her closest advisors met Kiara, the senior Nerlian delegates and a few other key people from each of the countries as well as the Delvers in a smaller conference room. This one had been built by the hive themselves, but they also took care to make it as sound-proof as they could on such short notice, and Max’s guards standing sentry discouraged anyone from trying to listen in.

Regina had tried some of the alcohol and regretted it now. She was pretty sure her Hivekind metabolism disliked it much more than a human body, and it didn’t even taste good. At least I know I should decline if I’m offered wine on diplomatic or social occasions. She hid a grimace and looked at the people around her. To no one’s surprise, a few of them did appear hungover. Kiara was hiding it pretty well, but Regina knew she’d drunk more than one glass and would be feeling it. Janis was downright chipper in contrast, though whether that was because of some elemental constitution advantage or because she’d practiced moderation Regina didn’t know.

“Thank you for coming,” she greeted them. “We have much to discuss.”

“We’re at your disposal, My Empress,” Kiara muttered.

Regina tried not to show any reaction to the words. She’d have to get used to that.

“First of all,” she began, “we will prepare for my coronation, to mark the official start of the Central European Empire. It will be held in one month and you are all, of course, very much invited.”

There were a few murmurs around the room politely accepting the invitation and offering congratulations. Regina nodded absently. She knew that it was a very tight timeframe. She didn’t even have a location picked out yet. But she wanted to get started and didn’t think waiting and dithering about it would be helpful.

“Who else will be in attendance?” Adelaide asked.

“Largely the same as the people gathered here, I presume,” Regina told her. “Many of my drones will be there, of course, as well as citizens both local and those who wish to travel to see it. The choice of location has not been finalized yet, I will inform you shortly.”

They all nodded and seemed to accept her words easily. Regina supposed their new nation wouldn’t be off to a good start if everyone argued with their leader right away.

That was the easy part out of the way. The reason she’d wanted to gather and talk to all of these people was to discuss the formation of the Empire. Not just its laws, but the fundamental framework, even the political system to a degree. The constitution — that was what she wanted to accomplish, to at least pass one. It might not give anyone else a lot of power right now, but she wanted to at least ensure their citizens were guaranteed basic rights, and lay the groundwork for the future.

Besides, Regina knew absolute power was something she would want to hold on to — anyone would, she was certainly no exception — so she wanted to at least start well.

“We need to set into place the basic framework of the empire,” she told them. “The principles and basic laws it will be founded on. I am particularly concerned about making sure that the equality of all citizens is guaranteed. No one should be disadvantaged because they are not Hivekind, or not human.”

As expected, that caused a bit of a stir. It was the most basic part of what Regina wanted, but they were still largely medieval; setting equality as such a guiding light would be unusual. She was hoping to avoid any class warfare for at least a while, but racism and sexism, at least, were probably things she needed to address immediately. Not that writing equal rights into law would solve the problem, but it should certainly help.

“That is … commendable, I suppose,” the Nerlian princess replied. “All men will be treated the same by law?”

“Not just men,” Regina told her, trying not to smile at the irony.

That was even more shocking, judging by the looks they exchanged and the furtive whispers.

“You will mandate women inheriting titles the same as men, then?”

“I was less concerned with matters of noble inheritance,” Regina said. “It might be best to leave that up to the discretion of the individual states or estates. That is one issue I wanted to discuss.” It would help in other respects, having more women in power, but it might not be the best hill to die on right now. “I was more concerned with protecting the rights of women in the populace at large. They should have the same rights and opportunities as men, unless there are good and specific reasons. For example,” she decided to throw them a bone, “they may be excluded from recruitment as soldiers for pragmatic reasons, but should be able to stand for election as village heads the same as anyone else.”

There was a moment of silence as the gathered people digested her words. Janis was smiling broadly and Regina could feel her satisfaction and excitement. Kiara’s was a bit more muted, but she was pleased, too. The others’ reactions were more mixed.

“But women are less suited to duties outside the home, public office would be too …” one of the Nerlian officials spoke up, trailing off.

“Watch your words,” Egon Trito growled.

“I, ah, I apologize, Your Majesty. Your Majesties.”

Regina smiled slightly. It was kind of funny, considering the actual rulers in the room were both women, and the way half the attendees glared at the guy. The Delvers were about as equal-opportunity as Cernlians got (as long as one was human), though they seemed more focused on defending her honor right now.

“You mentioned other basic laws and principles, My Empress?” Kiara asked, continuing the conversation.

"Yes.” Regina relaxed a bit as she talked. “For example, everyone should have the right to a fair trial, and I want it guaranteed in our constitution. Similarly, there should be freedom of speech and opinion, and freedom of the press, only limited by laws against slander or hate speech or similar. And freedom of assembly …”

She turned and accepted some papers from Max, who’d brought them along for her, then started passing them out around the table. They weren’t the full draft of the constitution she’d been working on, although she did have one, but closer to a collection of key words, short descriptions of the important points.

The others muttered to each other and talked in low voices while they read it, and Regina spoke up to clarify several matters. She’d taken pains to note the actual, formal terms for what she wanted and made references to her own country’s constitution and law. Galatea had helped, and she spoke up several times now to correct people or point something out.

It was almost funny watching them slowly realize that Galatea was not just another human. She was sitting on Regina’s left side, currently, dressed in a business casual outfit in muted colors. Only those with better mana senses would sense anything off. Kiara and June already knew who Galatea was, of course, at least in broad strokes. Otherwise, they definitely would have asked about it by now.

Regina could tell few of her newer allies were really happy with her draft, but she didn’t much care. They would fall in line. After all, she had all the power already, and if anything, she was the one giving up the most power. She still would have preferred to enforce equality and abolish any kind of inherited nobility having special powers, but she knew that wasn’t realistic. She’d only lose all her supporters in the human kingdoms. For now, anyway. Cementing basic civil rights and the principle of equality in the constitution was a prerequisite that would let her tackle it later. The foundations would be laid.

From the way Kiara was looking at her, Regina suspected she realized something like this, or was at least starting to have suspicions. Maybe that is going to be the real test of her loyalty? Regina wondered, before she looked down at her own paper. It was an interesting question. Kiara might feel bound by her honor to follow Regina regardless. Or to do what was best for her country even if it eroded her own power, at least. She was confident she could count on her for that much. June, who Regina taught personally, would certainly consider codified civil rights like these as good for her people. Kiara might take a bit more work, but she was about as progressive as rulers in this time got.

“I take it the ‘right to life and liberty’ is the most basic principle of this school of political thought?” Earl Whitor asked, taking Regina out of her current train of thought.

She smiled slightly. “An astute observation, Lord Alain.”

“I presume this answers any question about your opinion on practices of slavery and indentured servitude and whether it would be tolerated,” Owin, who had come as another of the three Delver representatives, said with a half-smile.

Neither of these countries actually practiced any form of slavery, she knew, although a few of the others did to some extent.

“Indeed, I do not condone it,” Regina replied with a smirk. “It will certainly not be allowed in the empire.”

Predictably, this declaration caused much less muttering or sideways looks than the others. Most seemed to approve, if nothing else. Adelaide only questioned how it would affect relations with other nations, and from there the discussion delved into foreign policy.

Regina had the impression they were trying to feel out the political philosophy and principles she had outlined, getting an understanding of what it actually meant in practice. She approved of the impulse. By now, everyone should have understood that they weren’t just changing the flag flying over the royal palace and carrying on as normal, but that there was a real paradigm shift. And it might be because of how quickly the hive won the war or the promises of prosperity she brought, but so far, no one struggled too much against the idea.

Foreign politics was a surprisingly exhaustive subject and led to some longer debates. It was perhaps where Regina was most looking for, and open to, input from them. Not that she was going to change the basic principles and stance she’d set out, but how best to handle diplomatic relations with others in practice was a different matter. One where she didn’t have much to go on and still lacked knowledge compared to experienced courtiers.

The debate stretched on for a few hours, before Janis suggested Regina call a break. They’d probably spend a few days, at minimum, going over everything and hammering out the cornerstones of their internal policies, the constitution she was going to sign into effect later. For now, giving everyone a break was best. Regina watched as they trickled out of the room, remaining behind in order to not be immediately accosted with further questions.

Then, she stood up and left, telling Max and the others through the psychic link to give her some space. She needed to be somewhat approachable, but for now, she was going to check in on the rest of this conference. They didn’t stand still just because she met with a few people, after all. Although, she didn’t see many of the other delegates.

Regina wandered around for a bit, noting what everyone was doing and checking in with her drones. They tended to keep to the edges of the summit, literally and metaphorically. She ducked through some side passages in the town to seek out Tim and a few of the senior drones who’d come along but declined to join today’s talks.

Before she found him, Regina found someone else. Or someone found her. She almost turned away and continued walking, but stopped. She was at the back of the structure they used for the conference right now, built around the biggest house in town, not far away but in a secluded space. A few of Max’s bodyguards trailed her, close enough to keep an eye on her, and yet a quick check found none of them had noticed the man coming.

Before she could ask him who he was and what he was doing, he stepped closer and bowed his head in greeting. There was something odd about him. He was tall, dark-haired and handsome, pretty enough that he could have been a model, but it was almost too much, like a model from a game rather than a real human. Or maybe it was that the feeling he gave off to her other senses reminded her vaguely of Galatea. He wore nondescript black robes she might expect for a mage.

“Greetings, Hive Queen Regina,” he greeted her.

She looked him over warily, and inclined her head in return. “Greetings. Who are you?”

“My name is Berren.” As he joined her, he smiled slightly.  A moment later, Regina realized that all sound from outside their immediate vicinity had stopped. Her ears were good enough that she rarely experienced real silence, there was always something going on, but not now. “I’m here because you wished to talk to Leian. I serve her and may relay some information in her stead.”

Regina’s eyes widened despite herself. “She sent you? Why approach me here, now?”

“As we speak, some of the other delegates to your summit are hatching plans, spinning a little conspiracy and making alliances.” He tilted his head towards the building. “It is the hope that anyone watching would focus on them right now. Leian fears her activity is being monitored, but I might have a little more leeway. We’ll still need to keep this short.”

Regina nodded, filing away the information about the conference for later. “The other gods are watching Leian?”

“Most likely. They’ve never trusted her, I’m quite sure.”

She frowned. “Is it because of the way they’ve kept progress stifled on this world? I’d assume Leian isn’t a fan of the party line. In fact, I have some suspicions.”

“That is likely part of it.” He paused. “What suspicions?”

Regina hesitated for a moment, then decided to take the opportunity. “I was wondering about the control of the System. And I suspect she might be interfering, maybe even feigning more trouble with integrating the hive than there is …”

“My mistress is the primary creator and responsible for the System. That should tell you who controls it … although she is far from other gods’ power. Regarding your suspicions, I cannot give you a definite answer.” He smiled slightly. “Although I suspect you’re on to something, personally.”

That might not be a clear answer, but it was better than nothing. Regina thought for a moment. “You said it was part of it, what other reason would they have to distrust her?”

Berren tilted his head. He looked like he was considering how much he should tell her. Then he nodded slightly. “Leian is not a god from Haven, not like the rest. She only ascended to divinity shortly before the Cataclysm, with their help, but they would not have done it without expecting to benefit. We suspect they simply wanted to keep her alive, immortal, so she’d be useful for longer than a mortal lifespan. In fact, the both of us are from a people called Aishan, the last remnants of it. Technically, she’s the sole survivor, since I am dead.”

“You’re dead?” Regina interrupted.

“I’m a shade. Yes, I’m dead. The soul of a dead person bound as a servant — well, the details hardly concern you.”

Regina blinked, then decided to move on. Questioning someone on their deadness seemed insensitive. “So, Leian is the last Aishan, whatever that means?”

“Yes. She wouldn’t have that Soul Name otherwise, I’m quite sure. It’s why she is so important. We were much further advanced than the Havenites or even your people, and in some cases more than the Mesen who’ve butchered our empire like scavenging carrion feeders.”

There was a lot to unpack in that, but Regina focused on one aspect for now. “Is that why she’s sympathetic to me?” Being the last of her kind?

“Perhaps. You are both the last survivors of fallen civilizations. Perhaps there’s more to it.” Berren got a glint in his eye, then, and although Regina could sense nothing of his thoughts or emotions — he was a complete blank, it was almost creepy and disconcerting now that she’d gotten used to the sense; either being dead screwed with it or, more likely, he was just that good — she got the strong impression he was saying something Leian might not want him to. “Or, perhaps, it might also be that she feels some responsibility because it was Aishan who created the Hivekind.”

Regina stared at him, her eyes wide and her jaw barely not dropping. She had no brainpower to spare to try to hide her reaction. “Your people created the Hivekind?!” And I’m only learning about this now?

“How do you think she knows so much about your race?” he asked reasonably. “She’s told you that you need a drone from another hive to reproduce with to create more Hive Queens, hasn’t she?”

Regina had wondered about that, and she supposed, hearing it now, that it made some sense. Leian had told Regina she wanted to bring the Hivekind back … “But —“

“Your questions will have to wait,” he interrupted. She was starting to suspect he was enjoying this. “We don’t have the time, I need to go. Just remember to be wary of what other allegiances might be in play here. Deirianon is not happy about your recent moves and he’ll disapprove strongly of this, especially given how you’ve called on your former nation. I wouldn’t be surprised if you saw some sabotage, or worse.”

“Thank you for the information,” Regina paused. “Is there really nothing more you can say?”

But before she’d even finished the last sentence, Berren was already gone.

“Such drama queens,” Regina muttered. “He’s like Leian, indeed.”

26