Chapter 177: Pieces
764 4 51
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The hive’s army didn’t stay long at the recently conquered castle. They left behind a detachment as a garrison, then moved on. From here, Ben had planned to split their current army and send the resulting corps on several paths - moving broadly in the same direction, but using different routes. It would allow them to spread out further and cover more ground to secure the area they had, more or less, just taken. The only Nerlian forces who could have been a real threat were now defeated, anyhow.

Regina gave her approval, but didn’t say anything otherwise. She’d probably already had too much influence on their decisions. Ben was supposed to conduct this war as the hive’s general, and she’d trust him to do his job. Of course, she also didn’t think it would matter that much. A lot now depended on their enemies’ reaction to their movements.

To that end, she barely paid any attention when they moved on from the castle through the Nerlian countryside and instead focused on the psychic link and communicating with their allies. It was a little harder to stay in contact with Kiara, but they made do. She could still use scrying magic and send letters by Winged Drones. The marquis himself was also downright eager to correspond with her. It made Regina realize how much she relied on Janis. Not that she couldn’t still ask her for her opinion, but she’d given Janis a task to do elsewhere and she couldn’t distract her from it all the time.

At least things seemed to be going well there. Whitor’s earldom was a pretty important piece on the current strategic map, since it was located between the Cernlian heartlands and Nerlia, to the north of Lyns’ march, or at least its central and western parts. Seizing control of it was an obvious step, and she wondered if the king was aware of that as well. Would he be trying to do the same? If so, he’d be too late, since she already had an alliance with Earl Whitor and even sent forces there.

Of course, if the Cernlian and Nerlian armies wanted to move back to Nerlia, their route might also take them through it. They could also try to head west and then north, skirting the edge and instead dipping into territory Regina claimed for the hive, but that would allow Lyns to harry them. Or so Ben had explained, anyway, and it made sense to Regina. Of course, they couldn’t rule out any magical transportation alternatives.

“How many soldiers are we going to face in Nerlia itself?” Regina asked Ben after dwelling on that for a short while, turning to face him.

They were currently riding beside each other. It made sense to put the army’s general in the most heavily guarded location, after all. Although Regina suspected Max was looking at it from the opposite direction, since, while Ben might not be a combat specialist, he was still pretty strong.

“It’s hard to say,” Ben replied, frowning with obvious displeasure at the thought. “We don’t know how many levies they can or will raise. Probably most of those they can, but it depends on their supplies and I’m not too sure how conscription in this kingdom works.”

Regina winced slightly. “Yeah. That’s something to keep in mind, definitely.”

It was like someone had poured ice water on her head, reminding her that, with all her thoughts of military strategy and the hive’s position, people were dying. She couldn’t even claim to be surprised at the fact her enemies would field conscripts who hadn’t chosen to fight; the world was backward enough that picking up peasants and shoving spears into their hands wouldn’t be too out of place. The System and existence of Classes and levels meant it wouldn’t be as useful or widespread as it might have been, but not that conscripting civilians wouldn’t happen.

“Regina?” Max asked softly. “Do we need to reassess something?”

“No, it’s fine,” she replied.

Max glanced at Ben and he turned away, drifting to put some distance between them. Max himself stayed at her side. He didn’t say anything, though she felt his expectant silence.

“I could say some trite words involving eggs and omelets, or just means and ends, but that wouldn’t really mean anything, does it?” Regina sighed, running a hand through her hair.

“If you say so,” Max replied serenely.

They continued on in silence for a few seconds. She glanced at him and then at the drones surrounding them, who were making a valiant effort to pretend they were hearing nothing.

“I feel like I’m mostly upset because I’m not really upset, does that make sense?” She asked softly.

“Not really, to me,” Max replied even more quietly. “But … I don’t have the perspective you do.”

“You have my knowledge about the old world,” Regina pointed out with a frown.

“That’s different, and also not really the point. No, what I meant is more like — I don’t look at things in that kind of way, because I don’t have to. It’s not my place, or what I want to be doing. That’s your job. You’re not just the brain of this Hive, you’re its soul.”

“That doesn’t really make me feel better, Max,” she said.

He exhaled, and she could sense his frustration through the psychic link. “I don’t mean to put pressure on you, Regina. I just meant that we’re not going to judge you. These kinds of decisions are complicated, we all realize that, but I still trust you have it handled, and even if, for some reason, you hadn’t, I’d still stand behind you.”

“Isn’t that just kinda moral cowardice, though?” she mused. “Abdicating personal responsibility?”

He wasn’t offended by that, she knew. “Maybe it is,” he said, still sounding unruffled. “But that’s kinda a human concept, isn’t it? I don’t know.”

Regina didn’t say anything after that, and the silence began to stretch. After a while, he started drifting away again and began a conversation with Ben. Try as she might, Regina couldn’t focus very well on what the others were talking about right now.

It’s probably a good thing I have friends who aren’t Hivekind, she considered. Then, with an effort of will, Regina turned her thoughts to other subjects.

The southern front of her hive had been quiet. She didn’t like giving the gnomes time to prepare their defenses, but she had more pressing matters to deal with right now. It meant they didn’t need that many fighters in the mountains, though, and most of her reinforcements went to either the north or east.

Regina hesitated for a moment, then sighed and contacted several other drones. While she talked to Ivy and other senior Harvesters and Workers, she mostly touched the minds of Production Drones and Drone Breeders, giving them instructions.

We’re setting up new bases and logistical infrastructure, Regina told Ben when she sensed he wasn’t busy talking to someone else.

I see, my Queen, he replied. Any specific goals?

I want to step up our food production, she explained. It occurred to me that we could use that a lot. I mean, there’s been a civil war in Cernlia for long enough they’re probably at risk of famine. Especially if it drags on into the next harvest season. And if we can just have Winged Drones drop supply crates into villages …

That would definitely do wonders for our reputation, he agreed. I’d advise restricting it to Lyns’ territory for now, and anywhere we or our allies directly control.

I guess it would be stupid to feed the opposing army indirectly, Regina said, smiling lightly. Anyway, even if this doesn’t pan out, having more food available is hardly going to be a bad thing.

I was under the impression it was putting constraints on the Hive’s growth, too? he asked.

Regina grimaced slightly. Yes. There are other logistical issues, as well.

It had been a while since she had actually grown the hive with new drones as quickly as she mathematically could have. New sapient drones needed to be taught or at least mentored and integrated, Swarm Drones needed space, food and other necessities, and her magic was also needed. Besides, she couldn’t keep putting her body through heavy strain.

She’d only dimly realized how much it was wearing on her, until she stopped adding as many new eggs. On the move, underground and now with the army, she couldn’t have kept it up at the same rate even if she’d wanted to. A part of her was almost guiltily glad about that. I guess even accelerated ‘aging’ from levels only does so much, she reflected. I have only been here for about a year, and just judging by my appearance, I still look younger than Janis or Kiara, if I was human.

“Do we have the resources for it?” Ben asked, dragging her thoughts back to the conversation. He’d drifted closer to her again.

“I’d think so,” Regina replied. “We have enough farmland, even if it’s just meadows. Technically we could spread out until all of that is in use, as grazing pastures for drones or otherwise. That’s not going to be very efficient, I guess, but with proper organization, we can still do it. Just have to gather the stuff from Production Drones. And probably set up crop rotations or whatever so we don’t deplete the soil in the long term. Zac is already working those out for weeds and non-standard crops.” After all, there was no reason to restrict themselves to what humans could eat.

“I’ll need to consult with them and possibly adjust some plans,” Ben muttered. “They’ll need guards and if it impacts our rate of reinforcements …”

Regina coughed. “Yeah, do that. And get back to me if you have some recommendations on the matter.”

Ben nodded, smiling slightly, and she sensed him turn his attention to the psychic link. Regina sighed and looked around.

She was, naturally, surrounded by bodyguards. They’d decided to move on the ground to be less conspicuous, and she’d chosen to ride an actual horse today. She figured Lord Feronet wasn’t going to be using it, since he was currently held prisoner in his own castle. Plus, it counted as spoils of war, finders keepers and all that. Most of the drones around her rode War Drone Mounts, however, one of the rarer Evolutions that they had been deliberately cultivating, like they still had Winged Drones carry people around to turn them into Winged Drone Mounts. Luckily, it was easier with these. Currently, Max’s bodyguard unit surrounded her in such depth she was having trouble seeing the countryside beyond them.

They were some of the strongest fighters in their hive, containing senior Warriors, but also a number of magic-users. Many of those had deliberately cultivated not just defensive skills but tried to get magic specifically useful for protecting her, including a few rare but interesting if rather specialized Spells. The number of defensive measures they had, even just for traveling with no enemy army in sight, would hopefully help even Max’s paranoia. She’d almost pity anyone who tried to assassinate her here, even if they were at a higher level.

The only way Regina could see for her to be in danger was for a larger company of killers to get at them unnoticed. And that would be rather hard to accomplish, given they had a lot of eyes on their surroundings and she could sense any minds in the area.

Regina exhaled, letting her mind feel the lay of the land around them, through and around the psychic link. She supposed a psychic like Madris might be able to do it, but in that case, if the dark elf wanted to kill her, she wouldn’t be any safer anywhere else. She swept her surroundings, reassured to find nothing out of the ordinary. It was an unpleasant thought, but Regina wasn’t going to let it drive her crazy. She had a large enough hive and enough allies now that the Delvers wouldn’t get away with starting a war.

Regina was interrupted by a System notification flickering into her vision. She grinned. She’d been expecting a level-up, since the battle should have given her enough Experience to get close to the next level.

You have leveled up
Congratulations, you have unlocked a new Template: Drone Flier

A new Template? Regina’s grin widened, and she whistled tunelessly. It had been a while. This new one sounded like it was going to be another winged, flying type, obviously. Probably more specialized for that than Attendants or Witches, who, while having wings and the ability to fly, were really more focused on magic. They were basically just mobile mages. Regina wasn’t going to complain, anyway.

“Another level?” Max asked.

Regina glanced at him and nodded, still smiling. “Yeah. The next ones are probably not going to be too far behind, if the war continues like this.”

He returned the smile, and she could feel the sentiment shared by most of the others around her. Regina tugged on her mandible and called up her status screen to see how her stats had changed.

Regina Hive Queen
Level: 51  
Mana: 14604/23000  
Hive: 713/1015, 20 Swarm: 64730/400000, 5000
Con: 16 Str: 15
Dex: 16 End: 17
Int: 30 Wis: 29

Another point in Str, Regina noticed. Well, it wasn’t what she would have chosen, but she could understand the need not to let her physical Stats fall behind. Her gaze was drawn to her hive limits, though, and she smiled a bit wrily to herself. I guess Swarm Strength is showing its potential, she reflected.

She wasn’t anywhere close to reaching it, of course. Wouldn’t have even if her drones hadn’t died in considerable numbers due to fighting wars. She’d have had a Swarm limit of a hundred thousand by now, without that Ability, but it would give her eight times the normal base once she reached level 60, if she figured correctly. Her mana had also barely changed over the last while, despite the rather large increases in her hive’s numbers, but she’d known there were probably diminishing returns on that. Her mana pool was still absurdly large for a mage of her level … just not insanely large.

“We’ll have to wait a few days to see, but I got a new Template,” she told Max quietly.

He raised an eyebrow. “I’ll arrange things.”

Regina suppressed a grimace and nodded. It was a pain to do this on the road, but she was curious. Besides, one of the reasons she moved with the army in the first place was for the reinforcements. They could just bring along Drone Breeders, and had a few, but they were more vulnerable targets and more restricted, anyway.

Regina shook off that thought, ignored Max whispering with Ira, and focused on her psychic senses again. That they were on the move was no reason not to practice.

 

51