CH 72: ETOULDE (2)
1.9k 5 55
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Basara was now faced with quite the tricky situation, to say the least.

However, even though his chance of living through this ordeal was incredibly low, his head was still calm, calculative, and rational; his mind sharp, and extremely focused.

Basara knew that panicking now wouldn't help him the least. It was better to focus on the matter at hand and try to come up with a concrete solution.

[Basara…]

Ddraig muttered worriedly, wondering if this new host of his would kick the bucket this fast.

Now that Ornis had released his power, Ddraig knew that it was impossible for Basara to win this fight, as he was now.

While it seemed that his power was only equal to that of a minor god's — a god was still a god after all. Even the weakest of the divine lot was enough to face a Maou.

Basara still wasn't up to that level, even with his Balance Breaker.

"When did you replace him?"

Basara assessed that while the god named Ornis was powerful, this power also made him quite arrogant. This was why Basara asked with a 'nervous' expression, masked over his usually calm face. 

He knew very well how the minds of psychopaths like this bastard worked. 

They loved showing their superiority when facing someone weaker than them. If he didn't play the role of the frightened boy, he might not get enough information — information crucial for him to get out of this predicament alive.

Furthermore… There was something he wished to confirm. Something very important that would affect how he would move in the possible future where he wouldn't be dead.

While Basara's acting skills were nothing to write home about, Ornis was still fooled, nonetheless. 

It wasn't really because he was deceived by Basara's piss poor acting, but in his mind, this was the natural reaction someone of such lowly caliber should be having in his esteemed presence.

Furthermore, since he knew who Basara's parents were, that information gave him an intense euphoria at this very moment. This was perhaps the highest peak of his life.

Killing the son of one of the ten gods.

Just thinking about that made him want to moan in ecstasy. The only sad thing was that there was no one to witness this glorious moment of his.

"If you are talking about that filthy human, I replaced him long ago. Even before you appeared in this town."

Ornis chuckled. Humans were really filthy creatures, thought the arrogant god amusedly.

When he killed the teacher, it was after the man had tried to molest a female student. 

It was funny that a teacher, who was supposed to protect their students, would go on their way to hurt them in such a way.

Of course, after replacing him Ornis did not continue this conduct.

Not because of justice or any such condescending delusions. But simply because he was devoted to only one person.

Lady Afureia.

Thinking about the target of his affection. The source of his faith and admiration….

Then remembering how this person was tainted by this little bastard.

Ornis suddenly lost all good humor. He gritted his teeth in anger and spat out in disgust and rage. 

"Basara Toujou. You are something that should not exist. A filth. A taint of the noble blood of Etoulde. It will be my pleasure to make you suffer as much as possible before killing you."

He was truly full of anger and jealousy.

This was why…

He couldn't simply kill the boy.

Afureia wasn't as powerful as she was when they were back in ExE and he had been preparing this trap for days.

She would need more than thirty minutes to find this hidden pocket dimension. This was more than enough time for him to enjoy torturing this boy before ending this filth once and for all.

Basara meanwhile was shocked.

When Ornis first Called him Taboo of the three races, Basara thought he was referring to his Human/Dragon/Devil lineage.

But now…

'Do not be distracted!'

Many things suddenly made sense. But now wasn't the time to delve into them. 

He had something way more urgent to worry about since he confirmed the information he wanted from Ornis.

Basara knew his parents well. Even though they acted as if they left him to himself, it was impossible for it to be truly the case. 

If they left with a peace of mind it means that there was something or someone to protect him. At first, Basara thought it was Lucia but soon denied this idea.

But now, Basara knew who it could be.

Someone who had always been rather caring to him.

Someone who always brought him a feeling of nostalgia.

Someone who was full of mystery.

Chisato.

The presence of Ornis was all the proof he needed. This might be a leap of logic but he was sure of two things.

One, Chisato and his parents knew each other. He was also most likely related to her.

Two, Chisato was at least as strong or most likely stronger than this god here.

Then all he had to do was hold on and hope that she managed to find him fast.

Of course, Basara didn't think himself to be all-knowing…

Perhaps he was wrong. 

Perhaps his reasoning was erroneous.

But what else could he do?

At least he had some hope now and he would fight for this ray of hope.

This was the only way for him to live.

At least, if he was right, the difficulty went from impossible to slightly possible.

{Ddraig I will need your help.}

Ddraig stayed silent for a while as Basara delivered his thoughts and speculation.

In the end, he came to one conclusion.

[Basara… Do you want to bet?]

{What?}

[If you simply have to hold on… Then I might have a way. But it could prove to be dangerous.]

Basara stayed silent. Since they were speaking with their thoughts this back and forth exchange, which seemed time consumingly long, was happening in mere moments.

{I don't think I have any other choices, right?}

Ddraig hesitated again. This power was something that doomed all his previous hosts.

But all of them were only humans, in the end.

Meanwhile, Basara was utterly different.

A Dragon, a Devil, and now…most likely a God.

[Even though you might lose control?]

This was another reason he was hesitant. He knew how much Basara loathed this loss of control. A trauma that haunted him still, to this day.

{From what you said there is a chance I won't lose control, right?}

[... Indeed. There is a chance. A very very small chance.]

{Then let's bet my life on this… Partner.}

Ddraig laughed heartily.

Indeed. A host of the esteemed Red Dragon Emperor should at least be this bold and daring. 

All he had to do was believe in his partner.

[Very well, let me teach you the chant to a forbidden technique.]

This was a do-or-die moment.

----

(AN: I am participating at a contest. Fantasy Festival. The story is called Midnight Prince. some of my old readers might know it as Netori Prince previously. A story I had in mind for two years now. Give a try. I hope you will like it.

Here link: 

https://www.webnovel.com/book/midnight-prince_24908760405236305 would appreciate it if you could give reviews and put it in your collection.)

55