Chapter 20 ─ Partners in Revenge
84 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My dear readers, we begin the second part of the volume. With arc 4, it will undoubtedly be an excellent arc for what I have planned.

Curiosities:

Oriana is the 2.0 counterpart of Leila(Re:Otome) which is a wolf girl while Oriana is a cat girl.

Aniki means older brother, but in an old respectful way.

Zekken is a joke referential to Katzura, i.e. Zeke ja nai, ZEKKEN DA!!!

It's also a reference to an attack from both Tales of Series and the demon king Desmond from Re:Otome.

We met someone very unexpected.

We were hanging out me and Rei in the park. We heard a growl and behind us was a girl starving to death.

Her name was Oriana and she belonged to the white cat tribe, one of the many races of beastmen that exist in this world. But as humans enslave them, many of them are turned into slaves or labor.

Since Oriana had no decent clothes, hers were basically rags, we took her to a store.

The girl in the store looked nice, but when she saw Oriana her expression twisted.

Apparently many people hate beastmen for no reason, I think it's because the church treated them as aberrations in the eyes of the god of light. In the game I never gave it a thought.

Rei bought her clothes, brown boots that fit her feet, black stockings that hide her legs, blue shorts that match her tail, which we had to cut a hole in.

Her blouse is white with stripes similar to a cat's whiskers with a small blue jacket.

Oriana looked at herself in the mirror.

"I don't understand the reason for covering yourself with so many clothes? But the boss bought it for me-nya."

(Said nya again.)

Was what Rei thought for sure. While I just wondered something.

"Rei... she doesn't have any underwear."

Oriana has a firm butt and big breasts. She can't walk around without something as trivial as that, besides, I'm afraid to ask her if she goes to the bathroom in a sandbox or does it in the forest.

"Hey, cat girl."

" Yes-nya?"

"Where do you relieve yourself? I don't want you to leave my bedroom couch stinky and I'm not talking about the hairs that fall out when you scratch."

(As usual, zero finesse. As expected from Rei, the master of insensitivity.)

Oriana was confused, she didn't seem to understand, but Rei explained in detail.

"I want to know if you use a sandbox, the forest or a toilet."

She perked her ears up after understanding.

"Just like everyone else. In the forest."

"Well, we'll have to teach you how to use the toilet. Let's go shopping for underwear."

"I don't want to. My mom always told me I should use it, but it feels weird."

(How did your mom know about underwear but not a toilet?)

It was what I thought after sweating a little, even though I don't have a body.

"Hah? I don't care if you don't like it, you're not going to go with your breasts in the air, Rose would be mad since she would think I forced you to do it."

"So you're doing it just because Rose would get mad right!"

I yelled that at Rei, but he ignored me.

Instead, Oriana said.

"I don't want-nya."

"You're going to use it."

"I don't-nya!"

"Damn cat, you're going to wear underwear or else Rose will tell me it's wrong to force yourself on others!"

"So you don't care if she walks around naked and you only care that Rose doesn't scold you!!! Rei, you idiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiot!"

Night fell, it was a hard battle convincing Oriana to wear underwear and how to use a bathroom.

I'll just say I'll have traumas.

We sat on a bench in the streets, the lamp posts I heard were with candles, but now they use magic stones.

Technological advancement is good.

Since they were hungry, Rei bought a steak sandwich for both of them.

While he devoured his like an animal, Oriana stared at it.

"What's the matter? Does it taste like shit to you by any chance?"

Rei said with her mouth full. Don't call food shit.

Oriana shook her head, getting her ears to twitch.

"It's not that-nya."

"It's just... I remembered my family's last gesture of affection... nya."

Tears began to stream down her cheeks.

"What was it about them? What's this about your revenge?"

I know, but it's better if she explains.

◇◇◇

A long time ago, there lived deep in the forest a group of beast men. In that group there was a daddy, a mommy, a little girl and her older brother. Other people also lived there, but the little girl did not leave her house any more than usual.

On a cold winter night, the little girl had reached the age of twelve. The adult age where they had to become hunters so that they could develop their second tail.

The third tail only came out when they became warriors.

The girl would be the shame of the family if she didn't do something soon.

She wandered away from home to hunt an antlered rabbit, the girl missed several and got full of dirt.

When she returned home, hell was what she found.

"... Huh?"

Fire had devoured the houses and trees.

On the ground lay a pile of corpses.

Their ears and tails had been cut off.

The girl ran home to check on her family.

When she arrived, her house was on fire like the others.

Her parents lay dead on the floor, the only difference... was that she saw her brother piercing her mother's heart.

"... Aniki... why are you doing that to mommy-nya?"

Her older brother lifted his face and flashed a sinister smile.

"I'm glad you're gone Oriana, this way, someone can see the show I made."

Her brother wiped the blood on his face.

He firmly grabbed his three tails and cut them off from the base.

"I discovered the real me! That's why I did this!"

"I always hated our despicable race, so I simply decided to cut ties with you to seek power! The power to be the strongest in the world!"

The girl began to cry.

"To daddy... to the cookie lady... to Mr. funny mustache... and mommy... did you kill them?"

There was a momentary silence but that smile wouldn't wipe off his face.

"... Answer me, Brother Zeke!"

"Yes. I killed him."

"For that reason, I will do this as well."

He held up his thumbs and then pierced his eyes.

"Your pitiful face of pain and frustration I will etch into my extinct corneas. That way, I can laugh and remember how miserable you are, I'll leave you alive because there's no point in killing a coward who doesn't even have three tails."

The girl's face, at first was one of pain and sadness, but now she was showing anger and hatred in her gaze.

"Oriana, when you have the three tails, come and get me. Then I can kill you too, go. get the hell out of here!"

With those ice cold words, the girl fled from what was her home and wandered all this time alone, growing strong to exact her revenge.

One day not long ago, she managed to pull out her second tail.

Only one was missing to get the right to claim her revenge.

"Umm, I see!"

Rei exclaimed after hearing Oriana's past.

In the game, there were many girls with sad backgrounds created by the pandemic we avoided, but at the same time there were some who went through worse without needing a disease.

Oriana was neither the one with the worst past nor the most tragic, you could say she is somewhere in between.

The interesting thing about her, is what happens when she struggles with her brother.

Which I won't mention as it would be better to avoid the subject.

After finishing her meal, Oriana said.

"Thank you very much for the food-nya. Also for the clothes, I had a lot of fun today, boss-nya."

She turned around and started walking.

"I thank you for everything."

"What do you mean you thank me for everything, where are you going?"

"Huh? Well, you said you didn't want me around, didn't you?"

"I guess that's my cue to leave. And I don't want to bother him anymore."

"Are you an idiot? No, you most certainly are."

"Nyas?"

She expressed as she looked confused, Rei stood up and with her sandwich in her hand exclaimed.

"You're my property now, don't you dare say things like you're going somewhere. Besides, don't you want revenge? I'll help you with your revenge."

Her eyes widened like saucers.

"... Really-nya?"

"Really. Your story of how you want to kill that piece of shit for ruining your life reminded me of my childhood, a piece of shit made fun of me and I killed him. That's why I want to witness when you finish off your brother's piece of shit."

That's too many pieces of shit that no one wants to see.

Oriana looked happy.

"I... I want to avenge my parents... I was alone for so long... those words make me happy."

"There, there, don't cry. Here, eat it."

He handed her his sandwich and she gladly ate it.

"From now on, operation revenge begins."

"Understood-nya!"

And so, this pair of knuckleheads bonded.

"So, Master, can you explain why you picked up a stray cat this size?"

What I imagined happened, Rose upon discovering that Rei brought a girl... a huge pet, became angry.

The furious look on her face indicated how upset she was.

Rei was sweating and tried to calm her down.

"L-listen Rose, she from now on is my vassal. Her name is Oriana and I will help her realize her revenge."

"That's right-nya, stay out of our way!"

Rose glared at her, who ducked like a wet one in the rain.

She kept sending stern glances between the two of them.

At that moment, as if he were a guardian angel, Alfred came looking for us.

"Duke Redblade, there you are!"

Rei was glad to see him.

"O-Oh, it's you... Al... Al... Alpachino."

"My name is Alfred! But that doesn't matter, come quickly with me."

"I'm not interested in men."

"Idiot, isn't that! Something big has happened!"

Rei picked his nose before answering.

"Something big?"

What Alfred said, made Rei plunge his finger all the way in.

"Norden has invaded our borders. It's a sign of war."

"Aaah, my nose!"

We arrived at a specific room, in it were Sig and the teachers.

It seems the king made announcement hours ago and we couldn't see him since we were busy with Oriana.

When we arrived, Rei said.

"Hey, shitty prince, what's this about there being a war?"

"Shitty prince!"

Someone said in horror.

Sig ignored that and explained the details.

"A few hours ago, my father gave a warning. Our lookouts sent a report that Norden soldiers have infiltrated."

"If that happened, it means they're planning an invasion. They are surveying the terrain and may have infiltrated the palace."

That's why there were many people gathered in the square.

"For that reason, on behalf of the authority of the present king. I, Crown Prince Sigurd von Brune, appoint you, Duke Reidel Redblade as─"

"I decline."

"...... Huh?"

Everyone was left with that same "Are you refusing, seriously?" expression.

"I don't follow anyone's orders. Therefore, it's none of my business─"

"Prince!"

Giant footsteps quickly approached, they were from Eli who came running along with her escorts.

Seeing her sweating, Sig asked her.

"Eli, what's wrong with you?"

She stood sweating for a while and then said something revealing.

"Prince, I have great news! Mother has agreed to give me her permission to be able to show affection only if you manage to conquer Norden!"

Rei didn't hesitate for a second when she heard that the queen gave her permission to touch her daughter if she managed to conquer a hostile country.

"I'll do it!"

"Just wait and see, old hag."

"Don't call the queen, old hag please!"

They all argued.

◇◇◇

In the royal palace, Olga was eating a very angry muffin.

So much so, that she unintentionally used fire magic on her dessert which hardened.

The servants had complicated faces and did not know how to attend to her.

Meanwhile her husband, the king, came to see her. She was angry with him.

"O-Olga, I understand that you are angry. But understand..."

"Understand what, Gilliam?!"

She looked at him like a rabid dog, everyone freaked out.

"No matter what happens, you used your daughter as a bargaining chip!"

"... Y-You're wrong, Eli herself said this would be the motivation for him to agree."

Eli came to the palace after learning of the declaration of war.

She used her manipulation skills to convince her father.

"He won't agree if they order him to, they must give him a prize like a puppy. So if you say he'll be able to have me without restriction, he'll agree instantly."

That was what she said.

Knowing Rei, he would certainly refuse.

The king wanted to use Rei's power for the people, to send him to win a war in this economic crisis.

But there was a problem, Rei doesn't listen to anyone, he is not a free spirit, just a wild beast unleashed.

He will bite anyone who tries to order him around.

The best way to avoid those fangs was to give him a reward. And what better prize than allowing him to touch his betrothed with parental consent.

That's why the queen was angry.

"Really. I don't care if there's a crisis in the nation, a father wouldn't give his daughter away easy."

The king didn't know what to say to make her stop being like this, someone approached his table after asking permission.

It was Commander Sieghart.

"Sorry to disturb Your Majesties, I have something to report."

"Say, Sieg, what is it?"

"Yes. We have detected encampments in certain areas of different nobles' territories."

"Have the nobles reported anything strange?"

"I'm afraid not. Some didn't even know they had and others simply denied any occurrences."

"... Could it be that this is not recent?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean if in fact they purposely left those camps."

The air became tense around them.

"You're suggesting that they've been infiltrating for a long time, and they're just now showing signs, right?"

"Yes."

"Why would they do that? The element of surprise was ruined."

"I don't know. What I can say is that Norden had always been giving threats, but they never carried them out."

"For them to have made the decision to do this seems odd to me."

"In any case, look into this in depth."

"Understood."

Sieghart withdrew. The king thought as his wife continued to glare at him furtively.

(First money theft and now a war. It's as if everything follows a continuous flow. Like water flowing in a stream.)

The king didn't know, that this strange occurrence was called "game plot".

◇◇◇

In a huge room, a group of men were gathering.

One of them was the leader, a brown-haired man who was saying to the owner of the house.

"Thank you for giving us the help."

"You're welcome."

"It's more. I'm glad your king contacted me several days ago, I'm in a bind and can only count on your help."

The man laughing was Joachim, and the one at his side was a Norden commander.

Joachim was contacted some time ago, he had done illegal things in the past and sent them to the king of Norden.

This time the king asked him for help to conquer the Brune Kingdom.

Due to the loss of money, Joachim got really angry, so much so, that he didn't care about the deal.

He only cared about his money.

Nothing was more important than that.

The two men talked for a while, the Norden soldiers remained living at Catley mansion until the chosen day.

Joachim came out of the room and there he found his wife waiting for him.

She called out to him in a timid, terrified voice.

"H-Husband, something like this is."

"None of your business, just make sure you don't open your mouth. Or I'll have these mangy dogs devour you like the maids."

Sophia just nodded, she could do nothing. She had neither the power nor the will to defend herself.

◇◇◇

Joachim walked to his office, in it was a man looking out the window.

He wore a thin jet black suit, his snow white hair reached almost to the floor, he had cat ears.

Without turning around, he said.

"How's it going, Catley?"

His tone of voice was rough and very serious.

Joachim hated beastmen, so having one in front of him disgusted him.

He didn't know why the cult sent him a replacement for Leonardo, the director who was part of the Fractions.

Joachim said after holding back the urge to vomit on him.

"Everything is going splendidly, in a few days we can achieve the goal, we just have to wait."

The beastman picked up a glass lying at his side, his long nails were so sharp that he didn't leave a scratch at all.

"Sounds good to me. Really, that idiot Zebra and Diablo were defeated by a nobody."

"It's sad that they sent me to protect you."

"I-I don't understand how they were defeated either. Zeke-dono."

The beastman destroyed the glass when he was called by that ancient name.

"It's not Zeke. It's Zekken, remember it well! I am Zekken the silver fang, and all my enemies fall before my claws!"

As he turned around, a handsome man in his twenties was standing in front of him.

His eyes were closed, it was because he was blind.

This man was... Oriana's older brother.

"I swear before my name that as the strongest of the Fractions I will finish off that Bret Elliott fellow with my own hands!"

4