Chapter 20 – Subtility and Security
28 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With her two brothers having told her all she wanted to know, Titania went back to bed with the intention to catch the minimum amount of sleep. She would think about all she had discovered in the morning. Next to her, through the wall, she heard a moaning and sighed.

Oh dear, that was….no not the moment to think about it.

Titania covered her ears with a pillow then curled up and cursed internally. 

The moon was shining down on the couch where she saw once again Dex huddled under a blanket. He should really have gotten his own room by now she thought. Maybe, she could also have a new wall made by cutting a portion of her own room. 

That sounds like an idea. 

Suddenly, her thoughts wandered back to Zhu Wei. Dommy Doom was what Cedric had said, which was worrying. Maybe she should just go and ask him what he saw?
Though, how to reach the most elusive of birds? The easiest way was probably to simply walk over next door. A scream came from there and she stared angrily at the wall. 

You are supposed to be soundproof. 

Something was obviously not working as it should. 

To do Tomorrow: 

Get better soundproofing on this damn wall, see that Dex finally gets his own room, talk to Zhu Wei, go to school and prevent Raon from frightening everyone into submission or going on a murder spree. Then, after I have done all that, shove a certain Zhang’s ego down his damn throat. 

The last seems to be a good idea, does it not? 

Another moan 

I SO need to do something about that soundproofing. 

Burying herself in her sheets she noticed just how tired she was and slowly felt herself drifting off

Morning came swiftly, abruptly and with the force of a well thrown blade hitting her bedpost. That caused blue flames to shoot from the direction of her couch and she hastily went to roll out of bed and lie flat on the floor, in search of cover, a gun in her hand. 

Peeking upwards she saw Raon…wearing…a school uniform, elegantly slicing through the fire with another weapon from god knows where. 

Was that a Katana? There had been something. 

Well that was one way to instantly wake someone up. Titania peeked over at the blade sticking in her bedpost and sighed. Luckily, Raon did not miss. Like, never missed. The question was only how she was supposed to get the blade out of there. Raon had managed to throw it hard enough only the hilt was sticking out. 

“Morning.” She said and Dex who was sitting on the couch looked lost. Well some thing that happen.  

“Morning Sis.” Raon greeted and stalked over the ground as she got up. Yep, she did not even need coffee anymore after that wakeup call. 

"Good Morning, Master Raon.” Dex said as he climbed down from the couch. He was adapting all right. 

“I need to change Raon, would you object to waiting. I highly doubt anyone will try to kill me in my own bedroom. Dex…?” She looked at her inmate who had already vanished into the bathroom. Her gun wandered back to where she had drawin it from. 

Raon closed the door and she shrugged her shoulders and changed into her school uniform, “Dex hurry, I need to use the bathroom too!” she shouted looking at herself.

Dex was out of the bathroom wearing a suit as she went to do her morning routine. Minutes later, she was on the way downstairs alongside Raon and Dex as Annie hurried past them. In her combat maid uniform, and in a rush, carrying a couple of bedsheets. In some corner Drake, fully armed, was discussing something with a uniformed man. Her mother descended from her realm down the stairs in an evening gown and lavish jewelry. As Titania entered the breakfast room, Chry was already sitting there on Emery’s lap. Her lips swollen, her cheeks rosy. 

The food sprawled at the table. Cedric had chosen the window stool to sit on this time, while having his shadows ready to dig in. Titania settled down, and Dex stepped next to Drake, imitating him. Raon took his seat and placed four knives to his left. 

One for every need. 

“Good Morning.” Their Mother greeted everyone, her face lit up. 

“Morning.” The greeting came and everyone started eating. Drake went around to fill in whatever was drunk while Dex tried his best to carry around the plates and to fulfill the softly spoken wishes of Chry while Emery fed her morsel by morsel. 

She could not be bothered to pick up her own fork, no, that was his job. 

It was all things considered a very average morning. Actually, a calm one, but it was like one of those illusions their mother praised herself with. Well crafted and not overlooking any detail, it was yet a subtle cue, mostly, but it was there. Just that small edge of danger that gave away the true danger as to what it actually was.

Armor. 

The glimpses of the weapons everyone had on them.

Titania felt the weight of her Hunter gun on her belt. Something she usually did not wear. Their mother’s grown had carefully placed embroidery on it that suggested it was more than it looked. Raon, was not even bothering with the subtility. A Katana on his hip, a boardsword on his back, a gun on each leg, and an entire arsenal of hidden weapons most likely adorned him.

Cedric also. He was in his favorite cloak and the glimpse of his razor sharp curved combat knives peeking up underneath his clothes. Really, should they even be called knives?Each one was more the length of a short sword. 

Drake was wearing a jewel on his suit, a spell no doubt. He was assisting numerous people she seldomly saw as they walked in and out. There was one of their earth mages in the foyer, and she caught a glimpse of one of the intelligence officers as he handed Cedric a sheet of paper through the window. 

Well, rather, a glass hand came through the window handing Cedric a paper. A glass manipulator mage. 

She even saw a giant cat prowl outside in their garden. Shifter. It seemed everyone who was someone seemed to be around. 

“Titania, you will be taking Raon with you.” Her mother said, “Behave as naturally as you find yourself capable. We have, as you may see, upped security.”

“Oh right, security.” Chry muttered and clapped her hands. From visually nowhere a young man appeared not a day older than twenty from his looks. He was cute in a way that should not be cute and smiled at them as he brought a wooden case to Chry, before bowing and blinking at her sister. 

Chry smiled, bowed forward, and with no regard for the audience, kissed him on his lips. An act which shortly involved tongue until she left him glassy eyed, with swollen lips and a blissful smile on his face. 

None of them paid much attention, well, more like everyone pointedly ignored it. Occupying themselves instead with their food, or their…well, knives. 

“This is for you, Titania. I just finished it yesterday….well actually this morning after my little nightly exercise. The best things always come to one after a bit of sport do they not, Emery?” 

She opened the wooden case and two brand new handguns appeared. They were black in color with a mild sheen of turquoise green on them. Two crystals were imbued as their cores and they were smaller than the ones she used before. When she held them, she discovered they were also lighter. Lighter by a lot. 

Underneath the guns in the box was a coat, and what looked almost like her school uniform with tweaks here and there. 

A simple white shirt with a delicate phoenix embroidery, so fine that it almost seems as if it was woven into the silk originally rather than added after. A pinky sized monster core served as an energy catalyzer she noticed. A pair of pants, a pair of combat boots, a long black coat and a hat that looked straight from a movie completed the ensemble. All were adorned with small, subtle, almost invisible wards and spells. It made a set and it looked like nothing she had ever seen before. 

Chry had surpassed herself. 

“Come here.” Chry said, and Titania looked at a small ring in her hand, “This is also part of it.” Chry said, leaned over and put a thin ring on her finger, “It has a storage function for the armor, and I wove a spell into it so that it automatically switches with your normal clothes and redresses you upon vocal command, it still needs to tune in on your voice but that should't take to long.” The ring glowed and then sank into her skin. Like a tattoo. A tattoo of their family sigil, that stretched over her entire Hand. 

“Well …. the tattoo is not as small as I wanted to make it, but it can be moved. I suggest keeping it somewhere less suspicious. Maybe your Shoulder or your Back. Until it tunes in you need to tap it once to activate.”

 

4