Chapter 1.1 : Matters of the State and the Sword
57 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Lady Marie!” A girl bowed her head to me while I was passing by the hall.

“Lady….?” I hesitantly said in confusion.

“It’s Lady Julie, Juliette de Fleur, the wife of Sir Geoffroy! I am sorry, that was rude of me to call you out of nowhere…” she said in a guilty tone.

“Ohh… don’t delve too much on it Lady Julie, it is nice to be an acquaintance with you!” I said welcomingly.

“The pleasure is mine too.” She said.

 

I was on my way to the council room when this lovely person stumbled upon me, her name was Juliette de Fleur and there were two women behind her, from the looks of it they were accompanying her, a Lady in waiting is what these people called them if I am not wrong.

A Lady in waiting from what Martyn has told me is that they are lowly noblewomen who are helping and attending to the needs of the higher noblewoman, it’s an assistant basically.

 

“By the way, Lady Marie where are you going?” she asked curiously

“I was heading to the council room, meeting the Lord Protector,” I replied

“Lord Protector? He is your student from your world if I am not wrong right?” She asked.

“Yes, and I want to know how his 'studies' are going about!” I answered.

“Well… I’ll be on my way then, don’t want to hold back the Lord Protector’s teacher,” Lady Julie said.

 

We went on our separate ways, but I heard a nice tidbit from the three of them.

 

“So… that was Lady Marie, she is quite majestic if I have to say, what do you ladies think about her?” Julie asked.

“Honestly, she has a somewhat intimidating feel, but of course not as intimidating as the Queen herself!” One of the ladies in waiting answered.

 

So, I am intimidating? Looks like I still got it!

 

After hearing that remark from one of the ladies in waiting, I felt a little happy for a second there.

 

* * *

 

While walking towards the long door that separated me and Martyn, I could hear Martyn and the King himself talking about something. It was unclear obviously, but I do hope he is not making an ass of himself in front of the king, Martyn really needs to improve his self-image considering that he is not an average teenager anymore.

As I was near the door, I knocked at the tall door to give notice of my arrival.

 

“Who is it?” Martyn asked.

“It’s me!” I announced my arrival to Martyn.

“Ohh…" Martyn realized. "Sir Fionn would you kindly open the door for my teacher.”

 

Sir Fionn opened the door that was standing between me and my student, and when I saw the inside of the room it was a little bit of a mess. There were two stacks of letters with each one having the height of two laptops stacked on the table, there were two quills on the table, each complemented with an ink of bottle at its side.

I went into the room where Sir Fionn closed it again, I took a bow to both of them and spoke.

 

“Your highness and Lord Protector.” I then asked curiously, “What are you guys doing?”

“Nothing much really, after I was taught about the Fleur’s family history and why they are one of the most powerful vassals in the realm by the King here, I continued with him on signing all of this paper,” Martyn replied.

“There are a lot of letters there! Are we going to have a party or something?” I asked.

“It’s an invitation for nobles and vassals under my direct rule Lady Marie!” The king replied.

“Yeah, we were writing about one hundred plus pages and signing them with our signatures for about a day and a half, Jesus Christ… I think my hand is going numb,” Martyn said.

“Haha… you’ll get used to it Martyn, weirdly enough too, being a King is one-fourth writing and signing papers!” the King said with a chuckle at the side.

“Uuuuh…. Christ…” Martyn let out a sigh.

“By the way Martyn, who is this ‘Jesus Christ’ you spouted earlier?” the King asked curiously.

“Ohh… him? He's just a God back in my original world, but his existence is questionable at best.” Martyn answered.

“A God?” the King asked curiously again.

“Yeah, people back in my world worshipped different gods,” Martyn answered.

“So, it’s no different from our world too!” The king said.

“Maybe… but I would hold that statement if I was you, heck, I don’t even have the full grasp of your religion,” Martyn said.

“You can always go to my daughter if you want to know more about our religions Martyn,” the king said cheeringly.

“Yeah, I might take a lesson or two from your daughter if I have the time,” Martyn said.

 

While they were having a chat about religion, I took the liberty to observe the letters and boy… there are a lot of people invited. There were quite a lot of people invited with a Count and Baron title, there were some Dukes as well, an Archduchess, and the Grand Dukes. I saw the two letters for them and could see clearly what their names were, the first one I noticed is for Grand Duke Roger de Fleur of Vin Côte, and the other one is for Grand Duke Alaxandair Feannag of Geamradh.

 

“You guys’ mind telling me why you are writing these letters?” I interrupted them.

“Ohh yeah we forgot to tell, it’s for our noblelization ceremony!” Martyn said gleefully.

“Wait… you mean we’re going to be nobles? How does that even work?” I asked in confusion.

“It’s quite simple Lady Marie, the ceremony starts with the four you bending the knee for me, then you repeat the words that I will say in the ceremony, and drinking from a goblet full of wine!” The king explained.

“Drink a wine? Is that supposed to symbolize something?” I asked confusingly.

“Yeah, the wine symbolizes the new blood we are accepting to our body, which is a noble’s blood obviously. I know it sounds kind of culty, but hey, it’s their way of making a peasant to a noble and I am not going to judge!” Martyn said.

“Hmm… So, it’s for the four of us?” I asked again

“Yeah, what? You don’t want to be a noble Miss Marie?” Martyn poked around a little bit.

“Well… yes actually, I don’t think it’s necessary for me to be a noble,” I answered with a saddened tone.

“Nonsense! You are a hero to Lady Marie!” The king tried to convince me.

“What do you even mean by ‘not necessary’ Miss Marie?” Martyn asked worryingly.

“Try looking it with my eyes here... You almost had all of the knowledge on how to be a good ruler, run a country and even develop it more, Arthur is a giant nerd on military history where he too is like you almost having every knowledge on military tactics, strategies, and even its philosophy, as well as being good at law, Eleanna is like that Maître of Whisperer, she is for sure not a nerd like the both of you, but her skill on gathering information and the way she can handle many ‘dirt’ on people is really remarkable and scary at the same time. And then there is me, just your average high school economics teacher, I don’t have anything to offer except if you want me to teach people about economies which maybe can’t even be applied here!” I said to them.

“But you're a war hero? wait... not the point, but do you seriously don't want to be noblelize?” Martyn asked with concern.

“Well yes, though I hate to admit it, I am just a woman in her late 40s that’s not going to contribute anything to this kingdom and so what if I don’t get noblelize? It’s not like my freedom is going away any time soon, you already made an agreement on ensuring our freedom and security.” I stated.

“Hmm, I mean yeah… your right, but are you sure Miss Marie? The social hierarchy in this world is quite rigid and is always enforced.” Martyn said, trying to sway me.

“Again, So what? If you three want to blend in this society so you can be accepted faster, that is okay for me. But I am from another world, they can’t enforce shit on me and you can always back me up if something happens about it!” I said stubbornly.

“Ughh….” Martyn took a huge breath and let it out. “You are a very, very, very… stubborn woman you know that?”

“Haha…” I let out a tiny laugh after hearing his remarks.

“So… that means it’s only the three of you going to be noblelize then?” the king asked.

“Yeah… and thank god we only write ‘the noblelization for the second heroes’ the ceremony would probably be delayed just for writing a whole new batch of letters!” Martyn said in relief.

“I agree, that would be a pain in the ass!” The king said in relief too.

“Your majesty, remember what you promised to Princess Amadela!” Sir Fionn from out of nowhere said sternly.

“Ahh… yes, sh-. Damn…. It’s really hard for me you know!” the king said.

 

We let out a laugh after hearing that remark from the King.

 

***

 

After sorting all that out, we both went outside the room and walked around the hall.

 

“Ohh yeah, this had been bugging me for a while, two days ago why did you, out of nowhere, propose to help a country and even improve it too? I mean that came out of nowhere!” I asked.

“Hmm… let’s just say, I want them to owe me and not the other way around.” He answered.

“I am sorry? Owe you?” I said confusingly.

“Yeah, the king and the princess asked me when that meeting was finished, funnily his and her reaction was like yours too but more on the sour side.” Martyn continued.

“Well yeah, knowing that they would have more questions about the real nature of your intentions….” I took a moment to think then it popped into me. “Wait… are you going to overthrow them!?” I stopped walking and asked him with a serious tone.

“What!? No! Why would I!? What would I even gain from getting a kingdom!?!” Martyn stopped walking too and denied it wholeheartedly.

“I don’t know…...? You are kind of unpredictable in a way…” I said.

“Well… just get that assumption out of your damn mind miss Marie! If the king, hell!! If anyone heard what you just said, we could land in hot waters!” Martyn angrily said to me.

“Ahh… sorry…” I said apologetically.

 

Yeah… Martyn’s right, the King would probably hang us four or even banish us just to secure his and the people he trusted safety and power, damn… idiot, idiot!

 

We then walked again through the hallway in this castle, around that time I was keeping my mouth shut and was racked in guilt after being an idiot, Martyn on the other hand was kind of angry and a little bit wary of some bystander heard our little chat back there. But after he felt the coast was clear he then saw my face, I think he felt a little bad because he then said this.

 

“Don’t beat yourself too much on that miss Marie,” Martyn said after he saw my guilt-ridden face. “You were definitely wrong on the whole part about me ‘taking their place’,” Martyn said sarcastically. “But there is a teeny… tiny, truth, about what you said!”

 

My face then turned a full 180 when hearing that remark, he just said.

 

“And… what is this truth?” I said in full suspicion

“You know how I said I want them to owe me right?” he said clearly. “Well…… the whole ‘owing thing’ is not only applied for the royals and the maîtres, but it also applies to the citizens of Albion.

“Wait… the citizens of Albion? You mean all of the people of Albion?” I said in a daze.

“Yes, you know how we are from another world right? And you know how we are practically something different that came out of another world too right? Now, if they still thought we four were angelic beings that came from their god’s world, then I think they wouldn’t want to incur the wrath of their own god, but I prematurely said that we were normal human beings, erasing any leverage we could have. Now I have to find a ‘foundation’ per se for us four, and that is the heart of the people!” He stated.

“Then what are you going to do with the heart of the people?” I asked, a bit concernedly.

“Nothing much really, we only need it so we won’t be easily ‘thrown off the bus’ by them, i.e. the royals and the maîtres.” He said.

“Ohh… now I get it why you’re offering knowledge and inventions that can help this kingdom!” I said in awe. “But why would you even need someone to owe us, hell, let alone the whole kingdom to owe us? I mean the king himself promised our safety and heck you get to be a somewhat leader!”

“Miss Marie… you need to remember that this isn’t our world, we don’t even know how their train of thoughts works, heck knowing this is a somewhat medieval world every single thing that we see as normal would probably be an alien concept for them!" As he stated that, he took a breath. "The point is, it’s all for our survival and if anything happens to us, I can at least make the populace mad at them.”

“Hmm…. okay then!” I understandingly said.

 

Clang…

 

“What was that?” Martyn said.

“Hi…ya!” a man let out some sort of cry.

“Is… is that Arthur?” I asked.

“Yeah, I think, that’s Arthur” Martyn answered.

“Jesus, how long did we walk??” I confusingly stated.

“I don’t know… but we’re already near the courtyard, so… want to see Arthur's ass kicked?” Martyn said with a grin.

“Ehh… why not” I answered.

 

We went to the courtyard where we finally could feel some fresh air and a clear sky to top that. The courtyard was quite large, but it wasn’t an outside courtyard per se, it was an inner open courtyard where it was surrounded by halls supported by white pillars.

Observing the courtyard, I would say it is quite beautiful, not only because it is lightened naturally by the sun, which made the room feel quite warm. The choosing and placements of the flowers are really well placed, it made the courtyard really lively.

And seeing how the placement of the flowers and the types it was chosen, like dandelions, roses, tulips, daisies, and etc, that were arranged quite neatly, made me think this was done by a professional. Well, they are royals after all, it’s not out of the blue for them to spend a lot on beauties like this.

 

After I observed the beautiful courtyard, we walked down the short marble stairs that lead down to the courtyard itself.

Arthur was in the courtyard sparring with one of the knights where the prince was watching them closely. Around the part where Arthur and the knight were training, I spotted a stall where it appears to hold various weapons, but it mainly holds swords from the many hilts that I saw.

I then looked at the prince closely. He was talking to Arthur it seems, advice on handling a sword is probably what he is giving him, considering that he showed him some weird position moves.

While they were talking, Martyn waved his hands and yelled.

 

“YOO… ARTHUR!!!!”

“Who the fuck is tha-, ohhh…” The Prince Mumbled.

 

We went to them where they stopped their practice as soon as they heard who called Arthur.

 

“Well, that was… quite something Sir Arthur, but I do admit you are a quick learner!” the knight in full armor behind the Prince said to Arthur.

“Wait… I recognized that voice! is that you Sir Foulques?” I asked the knight that sounded like Sir Foulques.

“It is indeed I, Lady Marie! And I have to say it’s quite the honor and surprise that you and Sir Arthur remembered me!” he said joyously while opening his helmet’s visor.

“So, you know them already Sir Foulques?” the Prince asked curiously.

“Well not quite sir, I knew of Lady Marie and Sir Arthur but I do not know of this white-haired gentleman.” Sir Foulques retorted.

“Ohhh where are my manners, my name is Martyn, Lord Protector of Albion and technically your king in a sense, or leader in a more practical sense?” Martyn said while presenting his right hand.

“Lord Protector? Wait... is this the fellow that you were saying, Sir Arthur? Prince Kristof?” Foulques said in confusion.

 

Arthur and Kristof nodded.

 

“Ahh… well then, I humbly present myself! Lord Protector, my name is Foulques de Andecavi of Andecavi, Baron of Andecavi and a knight as well as a loyal servant to the crown and of course to you too now, Lord Protector!” Sir Foulques introduced himself.

“Well, then shall we go back to training the fresh meat?” The Prince said snarkily.

“Jeez…. It’s like 7th grade all over again!” Arthur mumbled. “Your highness, let’s take a break instead, my right hand is really killing me!”

“A rest huh? well fine then rest, we don’t want your arms falling on us now!” The Prince sarcastically said. “Ohh… while you’re here too Lord Protector, I’d like to spar with you! I’ve heard that you are familiar with how to handle a sword and even is trained on how to use it effectively!”

“Arthur told you huh? Hmm…” Martyn stalled for a while trying to think if he wanted to spar with the prince. “Yeah, sure why not, we’re using wooden swords right?”

“Why not a real one?” The Prince said challengingly.

“Ehh… isn’t it dangerous?”

“What’s the harm? If you are well versed in the way of the sword, I think you should be fine with sharp ones!”

“Hmm… I am gonna blame you for any injuries Arthur!” Martyn said broodingly while looking at Arthur with a livid look.

“Well… shall we?” The Prince asked.

“…fine!” Martyn replied.

 

Both of them went to the stall where they rummaged through the place and found the right suitable sword for their duel. After they found their sword, they went back to the spot where Arthur and Sir Foulques were sparing.

 

“An estoc?” The Prince asked.

“Well, I didn’t see any rapiers, so I’ll use the closest to it,” Martyn replied.

“Rapier?” The Prince asked confusingly.

“Ahh, I forgot, this world is in a somewhat high late-ish medieval age...” Martyn mumbled, “It’s just a thin sword for dueling back in my world your highness.” Martyn answered.

“Ohhh… then let’s start the duel, yes?” The Prince said with a prepared stance

“Hmm…” Martyn nodded and went to his combat stance.

 

Martyn with his estoc sword, used his fencing stance, where his right foot was placed forward, his left foot backwards, and his sword, which was only held with one arm, pointed straight at the prince. It was a little bit weird but from the looks of it he is trying to taunt the Prince, weirdly enough too, the Prince’s sword was pointing towards Martyn too, a bit different though from how Martyn pointed his sword at the Prince.

The Prince’s stance was more like he is trying to receive an attack. His legs were lowered, presumably, so that he could have a firmer position, to his sword that was lifted upwards, about a centimeter above his head, where the blade’s alignment was slightly off diagonally, with its tip pointed at Martyn’s face.

 

And there they were, I was standing near Arthur, he was sitting in the grass trying to relax and cool himself after drenching with sweat from his previous training, Sir Foulques was sitting near him too but from the looks of his armor it was quite uncomfortable. But in this case it wasn’t the heavy plate armor he’s wearing around his body and legs, no, it’s actually just a simple doublet with chainmail layered on top of it, but again it looked a bit uncomfortable laying on the ground with it.

Both of them, and me too, looked at the two contestants that are about to fight. It was kind of slow, Martyn looked more flexible than his opponent, Prince Kristof on the other hand who was on a very rigid and restrictive stance, they were about 10 centimeters apart. It wasn’t that far but it was close enough for one of them to strike.

The first one to break the silence was the Prince, with him pushing forward his sword with his two hands towards Martyn. The sword when I observed has somewhat a look of a longsword, judging from the length and wideness of the sword.

Martyn, supposedly knowing that the prince would try to land a hit with a stab, dodge elegantly to the left where he countered his attack with him swinging his estoc sword towards the prince’s back. The prince parry that attack, but he was kind of flabbergasted with the fact that he was baited. So he walked back, trying to make a clearing, and prepared another attack. Martyn on the other hand still stood, elegantly at that, unfazed and waiting for another attack.

The Prince knew at that point he can’t fight normally, he needs to spice it up where he continued attacking Martyn by giving an impression that he was going to swing from above. But the second he nearly hits Martyn, Martyn positioned quickly his estoc horizontally above his head, to parry and counter the attack, but the longsword that the Prince swung suddenly stopped out of nowhere. The Prince’s changed his attack by using his longsword’s pommel to attack.

Martyn at a split second realized that the swing was a feint, and the real attack was the pommel that was going straight to his face. He can’t parry or even attempt to dodge this time, as he knows he doesn’t have the speed to bring down his sword as a deflector, so... he used his other hand that was free to push the prince away and dodge the attack as quickly as possible.

The prince after being pushed lost his balance and crashed to the ground dirtied by the dirt of the ground, thankfully the dirt was dry, and it didn’t leave a huge stain on his back. Martyn, seeing the chance to end this duel early dashed towards him and pointed the tip of his estoc towards the Prince, signaling his victory.

 

“Hey!!! That was very unchivalrous!!!” The Prince yelled in anger.

“What do you mean unchivalrous? I pushed you, you fell, simple as that! Don’t blame me for your poor balance!” Martyn yelled back.

“Wha… this isn’t how you fight! You don’t push someone willy-nilly, point the sword at them and called it a day!!!” The Prince angrily said.

“Ohh stop using the chivalrous, fair, white knight shtick!! It’s not a competition! You said you just want to know how I fare in a fight right? And I’ve already shown you, by dropping you to the ground!” Martyn retorted.

 

While both of them continued arguing with each other like a couple of idiotic children, a woman from the way we came here, suddenly appeared and went to Martyn. Me being curious went to Martyn too to hear what this girl has to say

 

“Lord Protector! I’ve been sent by his majesty to fetch you!” the girl said.

“The King? Father? What does he want with this unchivalrous bastard?!” the Prince said while trying to stand up.

“Ohh yes, the Prince too!! I’ve been sent by his majesty to fetch you as well!” the girl said again.

“So… out with it, what does his majesty want with the both of us?” Martyn said in a demanding tone.

“The king said that the Solei brothers have come!” the girl answered.

“The Solei brothers? The merchant brothers from Blanc Mountains? What are they coming here for?” the Prince confusingly asked.

“I do not know why they have come here your highness, but the king said that the Lord Protector will explain everything to you on the way there!” The girl answered.

“Hmm…” Martyn quietly mumbled. “Like what she said Kristof, I’ll explain it on the way, so let’s go!”

“What, now? But we haven’t finished that duel!?” the Prince cried.

“I won that duel, deal with it later! Now we have more pressing matters to assess.” Martyn said sternly. “I’ll be going now Miss Marie, if you’re interested, you can come and watch me negotiate with two old farts, hahaha…” Martyn said while letting out a chuckle.

“Nah I’ll pass, I’ve already watched too many old farts arguing with young people, I’ll be checking up on Eleanna after this anyways,” I replied to him.

4